Purvis | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Purvis

Reaction Score
Tzzn is right - hopefully Ollie learned a lesson about setting expectations.

I tend to doubt it. This was something Calhoun would do all the time as well. Majok got more pub than anyone sitting on the bench.

Reaction Score
Purvis drives me nuts at times but if he had the luxury of being the 6th or 7th best player on the roster he'd look a million times better in context.
Purvis could be a better Tony Robertson. Third highest scoring average, but someone who comes off the bench and doesn't get run if he doesn't have it that day. A Vinnie Johnson type player. He'd be beloved here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I tend to doubt it. This was something Calhoun would do all the time as well. Majok got more pub than anyone sitting on the bench.

Calhoun also hit some homeruns.

I still remember listening to him in the car with Joe on the eve of the season talking about how everyone would love Jeff Adrien.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Purvis could be a better Tony Robertson. Third highest scoring average, but someone who comes off the bench and doesn't get run if he doesn't have it that day. A Vinnie Johnson type player. He'd be beloved here.

I was thinking John Gwynn but Robertson would work too.

BTW Gywnn is working some pretty high profile games as a referee.

Reaction Score
Let's not get carried away. Gwynn could shoot.
Purvis is having a horrid shooting season, but last year shot 43.4% from the field and 38% from 3. Neither are great. But not significantly worse than Gwynn:

Gwynn 1988-89: 48% overall, 33% from 3
Gwynn 1989-90: 43% overall, 35% from 3
Gwynn 1990-91: 46% overall, 25% from 3

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Purvis is having a horrid shooting season, but last year shot 43.4% from the field and 38% from 3. Neither are great. But not significantly worse than Gwynn:

Gwynn 1988-89: 48% overall, 33% from 3
Gwynn 1989-90: 43% overall, 35% from 3
Gwynn 1990-91: 46% overall, 25% from 3

Game was different then - more possessions so each miss wasn't so painful. UConn/Houston was a 65 possession game....

Reaction Score
Game was different then - more possessions so each miss wasn't so painful. UConn/Houston was a 65 possession game....
It's a fair point, but Gwynn wasn't a significantly better shooter than Purvis.

Although this year Purvis is shooting poorly, exhaustion and being the second option--rather than last year where he was between 3-4 most games--have led to this more than Gwynn being an objectively better at it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Although this year Purvis is shooting poorly, exhaustion and being the second option--rather than last year where he was between 3-4 most games--have led to this more than Gwynn being an objectively better at it.

I'm agreeing with you - I'm saying that people remember Gwynn fondly because the shooting percentages were lower in his era because the game was played a higher pace.

Adams, Purvis and Vital are going to have their percentages plummet in conference because they are going to play 35 minutes a night and have zero support in the backcourt.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Yeah, he was. Using your own stats, Purvis' best season FG% (a complete outlier, BTW) matches Gwynn's worst. 48% FG for a sub-6 footer is pretty damn good. And if you want bring secondary factors like "exhaustion" into the discussion, what about the competition? Big East v. AAC?

Reaction Score
He is shooting 77% for the whole year, not 71%.

And no, I'm not only including successful stretches, because this conversation was happening all last year about Rodney's free throws. He started out slow last year too, and we all pointed out that he turned things around the last 25 games. This year he has turned things around quicker. He is shooting 77% overall.

I don't know what it is about Rodney that people want to constantly detract for him even in the few areas where he does pretty well.

To the bolded: Not sure how you devolve from talking about whether Purvis should be driving consistently to this statement. This is why this board is so dead, people go from talking about something that might actually change how the team plays to trying to over-argue one particular thing, to ridiculous statements like the bolded.

Reaction Score
To the bolded: Not sure how you devolve from talking about whether Purvis should be driving consistently to this statement. This is why this board is so dead, people go from talking about something that might actually change how the team plays to trying to over-argue one particular thing, to ridiculous statements like the bolded.

What are you talking about?

The whole Rodney free throw subject came up when someone wrote Rodney is a poor free throw shooter.

For heaven's sakes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, he was. Using your own stats, Purvis' best season FG% (a complete outlier, BTW) matches Gwynn's worst. 48% FG for a sub-6 footer is pretty damn good. And if you want bring secondary factors like "exhaustion" into the discussion, what about the competition? Big East v. AAC?

Come on. Gwynn didn't even start. Purvis is the second best player on a doomed team.

Sure the Big East Gwynn played in is better than this AAC, but can you imagine if they switched roles? Gwynn would drown in the role that Purvis has on this team.

Reaction Score
I'm agreeing with you - I'm saying that people remember Gwynn fondly because the shooting percentages were lower in his era because the game was played a higher pace.
Gotcha. Missed that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Come on. Gwynn didn't even start. Purvis is the second best player on a doomed team.
Sure the Big East Gwynn played in is better than this AAC, but can you imagine if they switched roles? Gwynn would drown in the role that Purvis has on this team.

There's a barroom discussion. Compare the 6th man on a Top 5 team to the 2nd best player on a sub-100 team. But this discussion was about shooting. When Gwynn shot I always felt it was going in. When Purvis shoots, I never think it's going in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There's a barroom discussion. Compare the 6th man on a Top 5 team to the 2nd best player on a sub-100 team. But this discussion was about shooting. When Gwynn shot I always felt it was going in. When Purvis shoots, I never think it's going in.

When you compare their percentages and their teammates... the initial emotional response might be wrong.

Reaction Score

Call it a wash shooting if you want. But Purvis is a a much better defender and rebounder this year. And defense does count. I love Johnny G but that 6th spot on that team was made for him, Rodney is cursed with being asked to be more than he is this year.

Reaction Score
I feel like Mr. Hand. I'm convinced you guys are all on dope.

Not sure how you go there with an confidence? Is it heroin for you? They are similar at best, no argument here. Gwynn came in made some big shots, so did Rodney unless your memory is better in 89-90? He, like Rodney, also missed a lot of shots. Rodney had a better 3 point % and John and better overall FG%. I see the comparison's but don't have any clue why anyone would think they had a clear advantage with their choice?

Could it be you're using Mr Hand way too often?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I remember John Gwynn very well and he was the Vinny Johnson of UConn - "mini microwave"
JC would insert JG when he needed an offensive push
JG was Mr Offense but would drive JC crazy because the guy was by no means a defensive wizard - he was constantly reaching in and or around - kind of like what Bazz used to to but not anywhere near as quick or successful.
I also remember JG had many stints when he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and JC's hook was quick - by his senior year JG was a more consistent player
I don't see the comparative between JG and RP - RP is a better defender and rebounder while JG was more of an offensive threat
JG appeared to be a better player because of his role, offense vs defense - not sure if he could do what is being asked of RP

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One guy shot 46% as a senior, the other is shooting less than 33%. That's not similar at best, be honest.

Reaction Score
One guy shot 46% as a senior, the other is shooting less than 33%. That's not similar at best, be honest.

This year is not over unless I missed something? So comparisons up to now are really close, be honest.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
JGs stats:
17.4 mins p/g
44.3% FG%
32.4% 3pt %
1.7 Reb p/g
0.8 Assts p/g
9.8 Pts p/g
The overall shooting % is probably higher but the others aren't near RP's production - RP has been forced to take more 3's than usual this year

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
This year is not over unless I missed something? So comparisons up to now are really close, be honest.

yeah I expect with some of the tough games we are about to face that Purvis percentages are going to start to climb dramatically.

When we are down 10 points or more Purvis shoots about 87% from three

When we are within 3 points or leading he shoots about 4%.

Unfortunately hes going to have a lot of high percentage opportunities in the next couple weeks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom