Purvis | The Boneyard

Purvis

Reaction Score
Since the Syracuse win Purvis is 21-74 (28%) from the field and 9-38 (24%) from 3, with 3.4 TO per game. He needs to learn that he isn't a knockdown 3 point shooter and start slashing. I know he had a really tough family situation in the offseason but fact of the matter is we are going to keep losing if he can't become the #2 option to Adams. I can't remember many recent UConn players who have regressed this much outside of Omar.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Since the Syracuse win Purvis is 21-74 (28%) from the field and 9-38 (24%) from 3, with 3.4 TO per game. He needs to learn that he isn't a knockdown 3 point shooter and start slashing. I know he had a really tough family situation in the offseason but fact of the matter is we are going to keep losing if he can't become the #2 option to Adams. I can't remember many recent UConn players who have regressed this much outside of Omar.
Omar was injured basically 2/4 seasons

Reaction Score
Rodney shouldn't be slashing; he doesn't have the handle, doesn't have the presence of mind to bail himself out with passes, and is too out-of-control; he is a set shooter. He should plant himself on the perimeter and take open kick-out shots.

Missed 3s at least have a chance at resulting in an offensive rebound. Purvis drives result in turnovers.

Reaction Score
His passing and the missed 3 at the end were brutal.

In the roughest year arguably in school history when taking expectations into account, he may be the darkest spot on the team. I feel bad for the kid, but there's still time to finish strong. Seems like he's got a mountain to climb, though.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hey. At least he didn't catch a pass with his foot out of bounds.

What an incredibly frustating player. Kid plays hard but does 3 things a game that make you wonder wtf he was thinking.

Reaction Score
Rodney shouldn't be slashing; he doesn't have the handle, doesn't have the presence of mind to bail himself out with passes, and is too out-of-control; he is a set shooter. He should plant himself on the perimeter and take open kick-out shots.

Missed 3s at least have a chance at resulting in an offensive rebound. Purvis drives result in turnovers.
He's got to slash on occasion to keep the defense honest. The team is so deficient offensively, it can't afford him to become uni-dimensional But in general agreement with you, when he does put his head down and drives, I think it portends disaster.

Reaction Score
I have him at 7-18 from 3 excluding the Auburn/Houston games where he went 1-20. We know all about what happened there.

The stats are skewed because Rodney was basically bombing away by himself in those games without Adams.

I don't think it is crazy to keep using Rodney as a 3 point shooter, especially since he's the second best one on the team after Adams.

Reaction Score
So nine toes and three rings?

Guy is negative all the time. All the time.

That was a nice play--Jalen drove and was near the hoop, but kicked it when he had 3 guys on him. If he was one on one, he has the option for the shot. The only reason Purvis is all alone in the corner is because Jalen sucked the defense in with him.

Rodney needs to knock that shot down. He front rimmed it. It needed an inch more.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I have him at 7-18 from 3 excluding the Auburn/Houston games where he went 1-20. We know all about what happened there.

The stats are skewed because Rodney was basically bombing away by himself in those games without Adams.

I don't think it is crazy to keep using Rodney as a 3 point shooter, especially since he's the second best one on the team after Adams.
Yeah, I was happy with the design & execution on that play. A wide-open look on the road to win? Fair enough.

That said, I agree 100% with the sentiment that the departures of Rodney & Amida will be good for our collective sanity.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Purvis?
UConn, at times, puts out a lineup of Purvis, Vital, Facey, Brimah/Enoch and Jackson.
None of these players can dribble, shoot, set a pick, pass or rebound at a division 1 level. They also all lack basic basketball instincts.
Ollie recruited these guys. He also recruited three guys with a history of injury: Larrier, Gilbert and Durham.
Without Adams this is a Horizon League team.
Ollie needs to shake up his staff.. Maybe, he can bring back Calhoun as a scout.
Ollie can coach but he seems to have a problem with picking basketball players.
In Tampa the adage goes that Gruden won a Superbowl with Tony Dungy's players
At this point this adage applies to Ollie.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Then why run a play that has him set up at the 3 point line to win the game?
I was going to ask the same question. I got your back on this one. Adams was about 4 feet from the hoop when he kicked it out. He has the knack to put the ball in the net, and could of drawn and AND 1. Going for the win?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah, I was happy with the design & execution on that play. A wide-open look on the road to win? Fair enough.

That said, I agree 100% with the sentiment that the departures of Rodney & Amida will be good for our collective sanity.
That's what the football fans said when PP left. And then they got Diaco.

Reaction Score
He also recruited three guys with a history of injury: Larrier, Gilbert and Durham.

Wrong on 2 out of 3, and the one you got right is healthy.

1. Larrier does not have a history of injury. He suffered a torn ACL, his first, which happens.
2. Alterique came to UConn with a history of injury. He suffered a separated shoulder last spring. At the McD's game. AFTER he had already signed a commitment letter with UConn.
3. Durham had one torn ACL when he signed with UConn. He tore his ACL again after signing with them. But this is irrelevant. Durham was actually on the court today. I can only hope he improves like Daniels did.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Start slashing?

Have you seen him handle a ball?

Yeah . I don't have the stats to back it up but purvis shooting 24 percent from 3 is most likely a better outcome than him slashing.

By the way. I blame the number change.

Change back to 44 Rodney! There is still time!

Reaction Score

1. Larrier does not have a history of injury. He suffered a torn ACL, his first, which happens.
2. Alterique came to UConn with a history of injury. He suffered a separated shoulder last spring. At the McD's game. AFTER he had already signed a commitment letter with UConn.
3. Durham had one torn ACL when he signed with UConn. He tore his ACL again after signing with them. But this is irrelevant. Durham was actually on the court today. I can only hope he improves like Daniels did.
Where people got the narrative that KO recruits injury prone players is beyond idiotic, even for this cesspool of a board.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score

Alterique had separated his shoulder before last year's separation. I think this is larrier's 2nd ACL.
Durham has had two operations.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Normally I don't bother responding to the negative nellies but my wife changed the dynamics this evening. Mrs. Fleud did not like my attitude during the game. I kept on saying x player will miss the FT or this team will figure out a new way to lose or the OT is just prolonging the agony. She criticized my attitude claiming if I think negatively the team will struggle.

I told her I was positive events would play out the way they did. (I didn't argue that I was right.) She claimed she was only reprimanding me because she was concerned I was upset. I happen to know it bothers her more than me that the team is losing and making the above statements had upset her. I have to love her fandom even if she takes the pleasure out of me demonstrating my anguish.

Reaction Score
Alterique had separated his shoulder before last year's separation. I think this is larrier's 2nd ACL.
Durham has had two operations.

Durham is irrelevant. He's healthy.

Now show me where you're getting your info from on the others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom