Purvis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Durham is irrelevant. He's healthy.

Now show me where you're going your info from on the others.

Durham is a year away from having the legs necessary to compete at this level.

Reaction Score
More like have you ever seen him actually finish through contact? Not to mention he's a bad FT shooter.

Purvis is not a good finisher.

But he was hacked today and finished through contact, had a +1. Also did it against Houston. He can do it. Just not as often as we like. So, to answer your question: today, and the other day.

He is a good free throw shooter by the way. He is 21 of 23 (91.3%) since the first 2 games he took free throws.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Purvis?
UConn, at times, puts out a lineup of Purvis, Vital, Facey, Brimah/Enoch and Jackson.
None of these players can dribble, shoot, set a pick, pass or rebound at a division 1 level. They also all lack basic basketball instincts.
Ollie recruited these guys. He also recruited three guys with a history of injury: Larrier, Gilbert and Durham.

He recruited Larrier and Gilbert pre any injuries. Even started with Durham pre 1st knee I think. He's not god man.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Still waiting on your double secret info about the other players.
Google: Jordan Classic Alterigue Gilbert and it will tell you that he hurt the same shoulder two years before.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Guy is negative all the time. All the time.

That was a nice play--Jalen drove and was near the hoop, but kicked it when he had 3 guys on him. If he was one on one, he has the option for the shot. The only reason Purvis is all alone in the corner is because Jalen sucked the defense in with him.

Rodney needs to knock that shot down. He front rimmed it. It needed an inch more.
It was actually a similar play to one in the opposite corner in which Purvis hit a three to stop an 11-0 run by Tulsa and a five point lead. The game might have been over sooner had he not made that shot. During that run Jalen had two turnovers which Tulsa capitalized.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
He recruited Larrier and Gilbert pre any injuries. Even started with Durham pre 1st knee I think. He's not god man.
If you hate someone or something why let facts stand in your way. Some fans make the men's team look like genius's when it comes to making mistakes.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Still waiting on your double secret info about the other players.
I might have confused Larrier with Mamadue who has a permanent knee affliction But I am still searching Larrier.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
  1. Tough to lose again, but why is Rodney being called out again to be the whipping boy? Just habit or did we watch different games?
  2. Anyone one thinks Rodney was the second option on that last play? Adams to take it, if they were crawling all over (they were) , kick it out to Rodney?
  3. If not Rodney, give me your second choice

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
  1. Tough to lose again, but why is Rodney being called out again to be the whipping boy? Just habit or did we watch different games?
  2. Anyone one thinks Rodney was the second option on that last play? Adams to take it, if they were crawling all over (they were) , kick it out to Rodney?
It was a good play just need to knock it down. A road win after getting blasted by Houston was more than I expected. Although I was pissed that we were up two with the ball and 30 seconds left and couldn't get it done.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yep. Some people conveniently don't remember the 11-0 run by Tulsa which put them up five. Momentum was going their way until RP made a 3 to get it back down to 2. Nor is anyone pointing out that Jalen made two errant passes during that stretch.

Reaction Score
Since the Syracuse win Purvis is 21-74 (28%) from the field and 9-38 (24%) from 3, with 3.4 TO per game. He needs to learn that he isn't a knockdown 3 point shooter and start slashing. I know he had a really tough family situation in the offseason but fact of the matter is we are going to keep losing if he can't become the #2 option to Adams. I can't remember many recent UConn players who have regressed this much outside of Omar.
Regressed? He is who he is a very streak shooter. I actually think he has gotten better during his time here. He is in a bad slump and playing out of position. He isn't a go to guy player and never will be but players regressing or staying the same would be AB and KF who just plain suck for seniors on a top division school. People love to hate on purvis I guess because he was overrated coming in. He should of never been an McDonald's all American.

Reaction Score
Tulsa is not a good team, not at all. Should have been an easy win, even in this awful year w this depeleted team. We got up 7 and looked like it was over. Then the comedy of errors began. Everyone had a hand in it.....those on the court and those on the bench. I think at this point we just grin and bear the ridiculousness of it all. It is truly a confluence of what can go wrong will go wrong, we just need to swallow hard and accept it.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Tulsa is not a good team, not at all. Should have been an easy win, even in this awful year w this depeleted team. We got up 7 and looked like it was over. Then the comedy of errors began. Everyone had a hand in it.....those on the court and those on the bench. I think at this point we just grin and bear the ridiculousness of it all. It is truly a confluence of what can go wrong will go wrong, we just need to swallow hard and accept it.
This a thousand times over.

Reaction Score
Google: Jordan Classic Alterigue Gilbert and it will tell you that he hurt the same shoulder two years before.

I think that's right. But do you really think we should have passed on a McD's All-American because he hurt his shoulder as a sophomore in high school?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Purvis missed the three at the buzzer.
Facey missed three foul shots.
Brimah missed foul shots down the stretch.
Enoch blew a dunk.
Adams had 2 very sloppy turnovers
Vital had an even worse turnover
Vance Jackson looked like he was playing jai alai on his three point attempts
Durham just plain achieved nothing.

Nobody was without blame in this one. There's no reason why Purvis should have to take all the heat.

Reaction Score
Regressed? He is who he is a very streak shooter. I actually think he has gotten better during his time here. He is in a bad slump and playing out of position. He isn't a go to guy player and never will be but players regressing or staying the same would be AB and KF who just plain suck for seniors on a top division school. People love to hate on purvis I guess because he was overrated coming in. He should of never been an McDonald's all American.
Or a Ferrari.

Reaction Score
I think that's right. But do you really think we should have passed on a McD's All-American because he hurt his shoulder as a sophomore in high school?
Yes

Reaction Score
Purvis is not a good finisher.

But he was hacked today and finished through contact, had a +1. Also did it against Houston. He can do it. Just not as often as we like. So, to answer your question: today, and the other day.

He is a good free throw shooter by the way. He is 21 of 23 (91.3%) since the first 2 games he took free throws.

53% and 65% before this year. 76% this year. Let's relax on acting like he's money from the line.

Reaction Score

I don't understand anyone dumping on this team right now. We just don't have the horses, and that's not Ollie's fault. JA has developed nicely under KO, it's nobody's fault that AB or RP never met our expectations. I can't understand anyone giving this team under these circumstances.

Reaction Score
Before coming to UConn has anyone either played or coached against a zone defense? A bunch of time they go scoreless and just pass the ball around and around with little player movement, turn it over, take a poor forced shot, or even worse, an airball. UConn opposition knows, for the most part, there is no worry of hitting threes by throwing a zone at Uconn. Maybe Ray Allen can try teaching better shooting techniques and movement.

Reaction Score
Before coming to UConn has anyone either played or coached against a zone defense? A bunch of time they go scoreless and just pass the ball around and around with little player movement, turn it over, take a poor forced shot, or even worse, an airball. UConn opposition knows, for the most part, there is no worry of hitting threes by throwing a zone at Uconn. Maybe Ray Allen can try teaching better shooting techniques and movement.

They don't have the pieces to be successful. I mean you need shooters, you need a guy who can flash the middle/high post and make positive plays. They don't have them, can't beat a zone without these. Facey flashed 2 games ago and was good as the zone left the middle open - you've seen him against better coached teams who collapse on the high pots with the guards and if you put the ball on the ground you'll most likely get stripped. Suddenly teams take away things from scouting, and this team can't afford anything being taken away because they have so little skill wise to begin with.

Shooting - you either can or you can't. Vance Jackson can I believe and he's struggling - maybe playing too fast or maybe as simple as the game is tot fast for him right now but no matter he's not making shots the way he is supposed to so it needs to change - way too many open looks which would help a ton if he was even shooting 35%. Rodney is not as good as last year shooting the ball either, who knows why? FT's - Brimah changed his style and is awful. Why change from 70% to this? Facey killed us down the stretch missed 3 FT's.

Just not a good team as gb said "grin and bear it" is the only thing we can do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom