Projected Starting Line Up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Projected Starting Line Up

Reaction Score
Since trilly said Alex is probably coming back, i'll work under that assumption for now.

Diarra(25)-Nowell(15)
Mahaney(30)-Ball(10)
Stewart(25)-McNeeley(15)
Karaban(30)-McNeeley(10)
Johnson(20)-Reed(20)
I’m more in minded to believe the Storrs Central guys that said 50/50 on Alex since they are the NIL folks.

Reaction Score
I'd bet a nickel the starting lineup is

Diarra
Mahaney
McNeeley
Karaban
Reed

I think the PG and C spots could change by season's end depending on how things go. But most likely stays this way barring injury
Yeah, Diarra has earned it, and you don't bring in a veteran player who was a 2-year starter for an NCAA Tournament team to come off the bench.

McNeeley is the clear choice at the 3.

Karaban obviously.

And I think Reed will beat out Johnson for the starting position.

Nowell should get good minutes at backup PG. Ball will get the lion's share of backup minutes at the 2/3, Stewart at the 3/4, and Johnson at the 5. Pretty good bench assuming the young guys step up.

There's your 9 man rotation, which is the maximum that Hurley is inclined to use (in 2023 we only went 9 deep at most, and often only 8; last year 8 deep, with the 8th guy, Stewart, only seeing like 5 meaningful minutes per game).

I don't see much of a role for Ross, Abraham, or Singare, though I think most of them are OK with that for now.

Reaction Score
Nowell, Mahaney, McNeeley, Alex and Reed

Lots of minutes Diarra (stays 6th because it really works), Stewart, Samson, Ball

This may not be immediate but it will be eventual as the season progresses.
There is absolutely no chance that freshman Nowell starts over 5th year senior Diarra.

Even if Nowell is the better player (plausible!), he'll play the 2009 Kemba role to Diarra's Craig Austrie.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not a lot (any?) of filler on this roster.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no chance that freshman Nowell starts over 5th year senior Diarra.

Even if Nowell is the better player (plausible!), he'll play the 2009 Kemba role to Diarra's Craig Austrie.

Ok your opinion I respect that. We’re a better team with Hass as 6th that’s his spot. I’m not sold on him being the starter at 28 minutes or more that I do know. This kid has KEA type genes!

So let’s see. If Nowell doesn’t start the minutes will be very similar that I’m sure there’s a chance of. Expectations change from 6th to off the gun!

Reaction Score
Diarra+Mahaney+McNeely+AK+Reed

Deep bench with Stewart as the 6 man, Nowell, Ball

Johnson gets 15 min a game

Practices will sharpen steel

We win Maui tournament as underdogs

Reaction Score
I believe our coaches will have the ability after running those intense practices to figure out who should start and who should come off the bench and when. Then they see it in game action and by Jan 1st it will be a moot point. We have a lot of talent and that will make this not easy for them. Diarra off the bench formula has worked for 2 Nattys, and he gets plenty of PT in any case,

Reaction Score
Zero chance Ball starts over Mahaney

I have to agree with this. Mahaney will play the 1 through the 3 which will open up minutes for Ball. I see Ball around 18-20 minutes a game. Stewart over 20 as well, I see him as our 6th man. Playing a mix of the 3/4. If Karaban is gone, Stewie is playing closer to 30.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ok your opinion I respect that. We’re a better team with Hass as 6th that’s his spot....Expectations change from 6th to off the gun!
Maybe so, but if I'm the best sixth man in the league and the guys starting in front of me are gone I would hope I get a good look at the starting job.

Reaction Score
Maybe so, but if I'm the best sixth man in the league and the guys starting in front of me are gone I would hope I get a good look at the starting job.

I’m pretty sure you’re right. But we also have a coach and staff with a culture and as we’ve said through out the portal news, he doesn’t promise anyone a starting position, earn it. DH also could potentially see him as that guy he needs to remain as the 6th for stability reasons we saw last year, who knows. I know he was honest with Hass as we’ve seen throughout all these recruitments.

Reaction Score
If Reed starts over Johnson, it would be a sign he made incredible progress on learning the offense over the summer, since Johnson has a big head start there.
If Reed starts over Johnson, it is more about defense/foul management than either of their offense IMO. Should be a heck of a battle, though I expect a relatively even minutes split regardless of who starts.

Reaction Score
I know one thing for sure, and that is whatever lineup we put out there, Stewart will DEFINITELY start. I’m surprised so few here have him as a starter.
You could be right I think it’s a toss up with he and McNeeley. Then again no Alex, he and Liam start more than likely.

Reaction Score
I know one thing for sure, and that is whatever lineup we put out there, Stewart will DEFINITELY start. I’m surprised so few here have him as a starter.
I really think Stewart needs to start. I think he is going to show out this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Stewart is the starter in game 1, but can see him becoming a starter later in the season. Lots of talent on the roster. The starting lineup will sort itself out during practices. Coach Hurley has a chance to do something unprecedented in the modern era. He is going to do everything in his power to make that happen.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Ok your opinion I respect that. We’re a better team with Hass as 6th that’s his spot. I’m not sold on him being the starter at 28 minutes or more that I do know. This kid has KEA type genes!

So let’s see. If Nowell doesn’t start the minutes will be very similar that I’m sure there’s a chance of. Expectations change from 6th to off the gun!
I think Diarra starts based on being the only guard left from two championship seasons and Hurley needs him just for continuity. Especially if AK doesn’t come back. I don’t think the coaching staff wants to start off with an entirely new starting five.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree on Reed. I think it is Samson's job to lose and he will start the yaer at Center stronger and with better footwork on defense so he doesn't have to grab as much. Obviously if he hasn't progressed as much we will see Reed starting once we get to conference play. I also don't agree on automatically having McNeely ahead of Stewart until he proves himself and I feel from what we saw that Stewart is going to go up a level in his game.
I haven’t watched much of Reed, but one reason not to start SJ (based on last season) is his propensity to pick up quick fouls.

If they fix that, I’ll say he has a 55% chance to start. Flip side of course is his ability to come in and shake things up with a few quick dunks- could be perfect coming in at tv timeout.

Either way I love the two headed monster, even if those heads don’t have an Adama or a ClingKong.

Reaction Score
I think Karaban isn’t going to return right now educated guess, 80% chance he stays in draft. He’s just too good not to be taken in the 30s.
Storrs Central says it’s 50/50.

Maybe you have some unique insight that they don’t though.

Reaction Score
I haven’t watched much of Reed, but one reason not to start SJ (based on last season) is his propensity to pick up quick fouls.

If they fix that, I’ll say he has a 55% chance to start. Flip side of course is his ability to come in and shake things up with a few quick dunks- could be perfect coming in at tv timeout.

Either way I love the two headed monster, even if those heads don’t have an Adama or a ClingKong.
Yeah I'm hoping the staff will have worked on that this offseason and with some additional strength and footwork he can come back better on keeping himself in front of the player and basket without fouling. If not I agree he will eventually be a backup Center again.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm hoping the staff will have worked on that this offseason and with some additional strength and footwork he can come back better on keeping himself in front of the player and basket without fouling. If not I agree he will eventually be a backup Center again.
He also has to stop the moving screens

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley's next coaching innovation to stay ahead of the pack - no single starting lineup.

Instead he will choose the starting lineup based on the opponent, similar to setting up a race car based on the track it's running on

Matchups will be maximized and other teams won't be able to scheme for us because they won't know what team they are playing against.

Pure conjecture...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom