Projected Starting Line Up | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Projected Starting Line Up

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's 50/50, but I don't see him leaving. There's very little role for him in the league.
Maybe. But he's old for a junior. He's looking at probably playing at least 5 fewer minutes a game. There's no small ball 5 minutes now and Stewart/Alex/McNeely each need 20+ and can only play the two F positions. I don't think it will be an easy choice for him.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley's next coaching innovation to stay ahead of the pack - no single starting lineup.

Instead he will choose the starting lineup based on the opponent, similar to setting up a race car based on the track it's running on

Matchups will be maximized and other teams won't be able to scheme for us because they won't know what team they are playing against.

Pure conjecture...

Think there could definitely be some truth to this with Samson/Tarris. Matchup-dependent starters.

BTW, My prediction is Samson is gonna make a huge leap this offseason. He already showed improvement the last 10+ games of the season with reducing his fouling & improving his rebounding. He's going to further improve his rebounding technique and develop reliable shooting/moves inside the paint. Plus improve his FT shooting by 15-20%.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to bring up Jayden Ross who is listed at 6’7 195lbs. He has very good skills and was a 4 star I think, good shooter, but what are his prospects for PT and he needs to be 215 and stronger for his position. Wonder what he can expect, and if he’s not going to get PT is he content riding pine?

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley's next coaching innovation to stay ahead of the pack - no single starting lineup.

Instead he will choose the starting lineup based on the opponent, similar to setting up a race car based on the track it's running on

Matchups will be maximized and other teams won't be able to scheme for us because they won't know what team they are playing against.

Pure conjecture...
Good logic. Kind of like what was done this year with having some many options of players and schemes that opponents couldn’t plan their defense and offense strategies.

Reaction Score
Not as a starting 5 but we had some success with Karaban (aka the Edey Stopper lol) at center for short spurts in some games. Imagine a lineup with Stewart, McNeely and Karaban as the frontcourt moving the ball and draining 3s

Reaction Score
I'm starting to think Karabans is NBA bound. If he's gone, I'm starting:

Diarra
Mahaney
Ball
Stewart
Johnson

It wouldn't surprise me to see McNeeley or Reed though

Reaction Score
I'm starting to think Karabans is NBA bound. If he's gone, I'm starting:

Diarra
Mahaney
Ball
Stewart
Johnson

It wouldn't surprise me to see McNeeley or Reed though
I really don’t know how NIL is allocated, but assuming that the better players are allocated more than the lesser players, it stands to reason that Alex will earn more at UConn than if he’s a second round pick that may not even make a roster. Now if it appears he will be drafted in the first round, all bets are off. In any case, I’m curious about how he and his family will base the decision to stay or go. And as far as playing in Europe, won’t that always be an option for him?

Reaction Score
If AK returns he starts. If not he is replaced by McNeeley.

Johnson
AK
Stewart
Hass
Ball

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Diarra 25 / Nowell 15
Mahaney 25 / Ball 15
McNeeley 25 / Stewart 10 / Ball 5
Karaban 30 / Stewart 10
Reed 20 / Johnson 20

Bench: Ross / Abraham / Singare

30: Karaban
25: Diarra / Mahaney / McNeeley
20: Ball / Stew / Reed / Johnson
15: Nowell
I would flip flop Samson and Reed so that his minutes align with Hass'. They are really complimentary and have great chemistry.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Unless Ball (3.9 ppg) has an incredible summer of development, I don't see him
starting over Mahaney (13.9 ppg). I also think Reed (10 ppg and 7 rpg) is likely to start over Johnson (5 ppg and 3 rpg).
I think in this case their per 40's is the better comp. Samson and solo were both restricted due to playing the same position as lottery picks.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ball
Mahaney
Stewart
AK
Reed

If AK goes put McNeely in at the 3 and slide Stewart to the 4. Hurley has already came out and said he likes Hass coming off the bench. Not sure if I see a freshman PG a starter who’s not a potential one and done kind of player.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to bring up Jayden Ross who is listed at 6’7 195lbs. He has very good skills and was a 4 star I think, good shooter, but what are his prospects for PT and he needs to be 215 and stronger for his position. Wonder what he can expect, and if he’s not going to get PT is he content riding pine?
I honestly can't imagine him getting minutes unless Karaban leaves. I think he would be the backup for McNeeley at the 3 in that case.

Reaction Score
If AK is back....

Mahaney
Ball
Stewart
AK
Samson (could easily see Reed here but I'll give the returnee the edge for now)

If AK is gone....

Mahaney
Ball
McNeeley
Stewart
Samson (could easily see Reed here but I'll give the returnee the edge for now)

I love Hass but DH made comments early in the portal period about him talking with Hass and ensuring that Hass' understanding of his role was aligned with DH's. I think this means the same role he was in last year - spark off the bench type, where he excelled last year. Mahaney starting also gives us better shooting in the starting lineup.

I sort of feel the same way about Samson's role as I do Hass. I think Samson may be better coming off the bench as an energy guy/spark...and would also help curtail his foul issues. However, I haven't heard any comments from DH about Samson's role so for the purpose of this exercise, I will have him starting.

Liam will play plenty even if AK comes back. Nowell will have his games/moments - different player but I sort of envision his minutes to be similar to Solo's last year. Ross will be given a much bigger opportunity if AK is gone...staff seems high on him but I think he's probably a year behind Solo/Jaylin and his real big jump will be between his sophomore and junior year.

Reaction Score
Reed Jr when Samson gets in foul trouble.
Which, if SJ's proven propensity in 23/24 to accumulate fouls at an astonishing rate is any indication of what to expect, Reed Jr just might as well start.

Reaction Score
Ball
Mahaney
Stewart
AK
Reed

If AK goes put McNeely in at the 3 and slide Stewart to the 4. Hurley has already came out and said he likes Hass coming off the bench. Not sure if I see a freshman PG a starter who’s not a potential one and done kind of player.
No way is Ball or Mahaney a true PG. I think Hass will start but Mahaney might be playing the SG too. Hurley likes having two ball handlers in at the same time to run the offense at least to start. I think Ball is the first guard off the bench unless he improves his handle and driving skills. Either way I don't see a lineup at least of the start of the season where Hass isn't our starting PG.

Reaction Score
I honestly can't imagine him getting minutes unless Karaban leaves. I think he would be the backup for McNeeley at the 3 in that case.
Yeah I agree. Not sure we will have a lot of minutes between McNeely, Stewart and if Karaban comes back for Ross to play. I can only see Ross getting more minutes if Karaban doesn't come back and we bring in a more developmental piece to replace him.

Reaction Score
I'm going with a starting lineup as follows:

PG: Hass
SG: Mahaney(I think Hurley will want two good ball handlers running the offense like this year with Newton and Cam).
SF: McNeely
PF:Stewart(Karban if he comes back)
C:Johnson(Reed if Johnson doesn't improve his strength and skillset to no foul guys who can bully past him)

Off the Bench:
Nowell
Reed
Ball
Ross or Transfer?(I wonder if Ross is ready to play big bench minutes this year as he showed very little his Freshman year)
WIldcard: is Abraham(If he can shoot at a decent clip I can see him jumping over Ross as the first foward off the bench due to how athletic and strong he already is. He has an NBA body already).

Reaction Score
Ross or Transfer?(I wonder if Ross is ready to play big bench minutes this year as he showed very little his Freshman year)
I don’t get why some posters are freaking out about Ross not being included in the rotation. Samson didn’t play at all his first 2 years but became the 7th man on a chip team as a junior and is now battling to be a starter as a senior. That’s how it’s supposed to work. I can see the same happening for Ross.

Reaction Score
I don’t get why some posters are freaking out about Ross not being included in the rotation. Samson didn’t play at all his first 2 years but became the 7th man on a chip team as a junior and is now battling to be a starter as a senior. That’s how it’s supposed to work. I can see the same happening for Ross.
I agree and unless he is shooting at a very high rate from 3 which we didn't see he would be even a bigger liability on the defensive side than Karaban or Stewart(Who I both feel can hold their own and least provide consistent offense). I'm not sold on Ross yet as he hasn't shown anything to warrant that yet. He came in as a shooter and I know played mostly garbage time but he shot 1 for 11 .091. I know small sample size but he came in with that being his plus set. I think he will get more minutes than last year but he is going to have to really improve his shot to see consistent minutes at SF.

Reaction Score
Come November Diarra is starting not an unproven/untested freshman. Nowell may even become great (and even start) but he is not where Diarra is right now. Diarra knows the offense/defensive sets, knows the coaching staff's goals, has 2 Championship rings, and was awarded the 6th man of the year award in Conference. More importantly he has the coaches and teammates trust right now.

Not sure what Nowell brings initially to match that unless posters are relying on high school film. Nowell will have time to acclimate, study and learn, ain't nothing wrong with a freshman doing that.

Reaction Score
Big men take longer to develop and Samson was especially raw coming in. Ross should be much more ready to play. Him not doing so would be a testament to our depth, but could come at the cost of him not wanting to stick around for the following season.

Reaction Score
Come November Diarra is starting not an unproven/untested freshman. Nowell may even become great (and even start) but he is not where Diarra is right now. Diarra knows the offense/defensive sets, knows the coaching staff's goals, has 2 Championship rings, and was awarded the 6th man of the year award in Conference.

Not sure what Nowell brings initially to match that unless posters are relying on high school film. Nowell will have time to acclimate, study and learn, ain't nothing wrong with a freshman doing that.
Nowell has already said he doesn't mind coming off the bench if that is what is best for the team too.

Reaction Score
Big men take longer to develop and Samson was especially raw coming in. Ross should be much more ready to play. Him not doing so would be a testament to our depth, but could come at the cost of him not wanting to stick around for the following season.
UConn is trying to do something the world hasn’t seen in over half a century when ucla won its 7th in a row. Feelings will be hurt on the road to greatness.

Reaction Score
The only other issue with Ross is he can't really be a backup as a stretch 4 since he is a string bean. So when Stewart goes to the bench I guess McNeely will have to move over to the stretch 4 position as no way I can see Ross guarding bigger and stronger guys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom