Projected Starting Line Up | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Projected Starting Line Up

Reaction Score
So I'm guessing from your posts that you aren't a Solo or Samson fan lol.

As a Junior, Samson averaged 5 and 3 and struggled to stay on the court due to foul trouble. He fouled out in only 5 minutes of playing time in the National Championship game. Like 429, I am a fan of Samson, but also realistic about his likely production next season. It's not an either/or. You can be a fan and also be realistic.

Reaction Score
So I'm guessing from your posts that you aren't a Solo or Samson fan lol.

I'm a fan of every player on the team.

I think Samson has a minority chance of starting but a decent one. Call it 35%. He and Reed both need to improve a lot, but Samson has very little margin for error on defense with his size. And he needs a stark improvement in the two most important skills a big has to have (rebound and don't foul). Reed needs to learn the system on both ends, wjicj is also tough. And stop with the 25% TO rate

Solo I love. We're comparing him to the 2nd best player on a top-25 team for two years. Both those guys are going to improve in the off-season but if we're being seriousxand objective, Mahaney is better. Solo HAS to learn to pass and handle the ball adequately.

Reaction Score
As a Junior, Samson averaged 5 and 3 and struggled to stay on the court due to foul trouble. He fouled out in only 5 minutes of playing time in the National Championship game. Like 429, I am a fan of Samson, but also realistic about his likely production next season. It's not an either/or. You can be a fan and also be realistic.
no its about seeing the potential and realistically forecasting where a player can get to based on his skill set and measurables. A Poster compared Samson to Richie Springs a year ago. Also said Castle couldn't guard PG in his high school scouting report. Citing Solo's assist numbers in limited minutes. I can go on. Clingan shouldn't be used on low block. etc etc. These receipts exist.

Alot of posters rely too much on prior stats and use that as unfair ceiling on forecasting where DH will get them IMO. All that being said, I DO think Mahaney is a better player than Solo, not because of prior statistical performance, but rather the eye test in watching alot of basketball. The same reason I was among the first championing Reed over Cliff, Wolf etc. Forecasting Realistic POTENTIAL.

Mahaney is a well rounded creator while Solo is the archetype athletic explosive scorer. I'd always take Ginobli over Westbrook or Cam Spencer over <insert name here>

PS- Penalty flag for saying Samson fouled out in 5 minutes. He was defending Edey

Reaction Score
no its about seeing the potential and realistically forecasting where a player can get to based on his skill set and measurables. A Poster compared Samson to Richie Springs a year ago. Also said Castle couldn't guard PG in his high school scouting report. Citing Solo's assist numbers in limited minutes. I can go on. Clingan shouldn't be used on low block. etc etc. These receipts exist.

Alot of posters rely too much on prior stats and use that as unfair ceiling on forecasting where DH will get them IMO. All that being said, I DO think Mahaney is a better player than Solo, not because of prior statistical performance, but rather the eye test in watching alot of basketball. The same reason I was among the first championing Reed over Cliff, Wolf etc. Forecasting Realistic POTENTIAL.

Mahaney is a well rounded creator while Solo is the archetype athletic explosive scorer. I'd always take Ginobli over Westbrook or Cam Spencer over <insert name here>

PS- Penalty flag for saying Samson fouled out in 5 minutes. He was defending Edey

But to be honest he was in foul trouble against much less type players than Edey way too often nonetheless. He reaches 35 feet from the basket, he can’t get back to find position to box out quite often and gets called for holding often. He’s a real nice piece and back up. Who knows if he improves like we saw from 22-23 to 23-24 he may prove us wrong again. But for me in order to be really good again we need Reed to be the man who Samson backs up.

Reaction Score
But to be honest he was in foul trouble against much less type players than Edey way too often nonetheless. He reaches 35 feet from the basket, he can’t get back to find position to box out quite often and gets called for holding often. He’s a real nice piece and back up. Who knows if he improves like we saw from 22-23 to 23-24 he may prove us wrong again.
"Prove us wrong again" once again shows the hivemind ceiling placed upon players, without seeing their potentials. Yes you are right Samson fouls too much. Gotta clean up the screening. But the defensive foul stuff is because he's refining the high hedge with the defensive ferocity Hurley wants. He got alot of fouls flying around on the high hedge (which im not a big fan of), then out of position for rebounding during regular season. But the wrench wasnt the Wrench at first. Offensively it took Facey a few years to get confidence but you could see it was there. Reed, you can see from his stroke and hs tape, can hit the 3, but statistically its not there.

Samson is an athletic freak who will be drafted, as I posted last summer. Watch the Uconn highlight tape of him in NCAA tourney, mastering the high hedge, then back for blocked shot. I think followed by a dunk? Raf drooling over his high hedge all tourney. I like the high hedge now, and i think he will even use Reed with it at times. This year, Samson's improvement wont surprise some of us. He has another level.

Reaction Score

Let's look at this a different way. Take ANY other player who averaged 5 and 3 as a junior and find what they did the following season. Use your best example. What do you come up with?

Samson is competing for a starting role with a guy who has already put up 9 and 7 and doesn't have the propensity to foul. One guy has potential...the other guy has proven production, is younger, and will be receiving vastly better coaching and entry passes this season. It's not hard to envision Reed Jr. starting.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of every player on the team.

I think Samson has a minority chance of starting but a decent one. Call it 35%. He and Reed both need to improve a lot, but Samson has very little margin for error on defense with his size. And he needs a stark improvement in the two most important skills a big has to have (rebound and don't foul). Reed needs to learn the system on both ends, wjicj is also tough. And stop with the 25% TO rate

Solo I love. We're comparing him to the 2nd best player on a top-25 team for two years. Both those guys are going to improve in the off-season but if we're being seriousxand objective, Mahaney is better. Solo HAS to learn to pass and handle the ball adequately.
I'm with you on all of the above. With Solo-to my eye- It seemed like he got lost on certain defensive rotations. Out of position or even missed assignments. I think that contributed to PT last year. Has the physical tool kit and skills to be disruptive defensively. Offensively he'll be fine.

As of now-Mahaney has shown himself to be a better offensive player based on his performance on the court. We know Solo has the potential.

Reaction Score
Let's look at this a different way. Take ANY other player who averaged 5 and 3 as a junior and find what they did the following season. Use your best example. What do you come up with?

Samson is competing for a starting role with a guy who has already put up 9 and 7 and doesn't have the propensity to foul. One guy has potential...the other guy has proven production, is younger, and will be receiving vastly better coaching and entry passes this season. It's not hard to envision Reed Jr. starting.

I think it's probably a little closer than you think. Samson is going to figure a lot out this summer. But I still give the nod to Reed.

Reaction Score
You're taking potential over proven production. Never a good bet.

I mean not really. He went like 3-17 vs. Grand Canyon. Lets chill out a bit

Reaction Score

I read the comment about Samson being older than Tarris and randomly decided to look up how old a bunch of guys on the team were. VERY fun fact I found....both our transfers (Tarris and Aidan) were born on the exact same day, August 5th, 2003. What are the chances?

Reaction Score
I can't tell if you're trolling or not. Well done.

If we are being honest sometimes I don't know if I am either. I feel like I make a prediction and then troll and double down until the thread gets blocked.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I understand the excitement for Mahaney after Cam, but Cam was a 6’4 200 guard who was a 44/43 shooter before he came here.

Aiden is 6’3 180 and is a 38/35 shooter. Think we should temper the expectations some. Cam was really good before he got here (43% 3 point shooting as the guy for Rutgers was insane)

Reaction Score
I understand the excitement for Mahaney after Cam, but Cam was a 6’4 200 guard who was a 44/43 shooter before he came here.

Aiden is 6’3 180 and is a 38/35 shooter. Think we should temper the expectations some. Cam was really good before he got here (43% 3 point shooting as the guy for Rutgers was insane)
Aidan was 44/40 the year before on more volume than Cam had at Rutgers.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Aidan was 44/40 the year before on more volume than Cam had at Rutgers.
What happened this year? Honestly didn’t follow him and all I know is that they were a top 25 team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom