Projected Starting Line Up | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Projected Starting Line Up

Reaction Score
Karaban if gone means 5 new starters from the championship game starting lineup. Whole new team essentially.

Reaction Score
I see a lot of people is going with the chalk lineup, so I'm going to shake it up.

PG: Nowell (I go back to what Hurley said at the parade, and it doesn't seem like Diarra shoo-in for the starting job. I think him and Nowell will battle it out for the job, and I just think Nowell has a better handle than Diarra, and is more NCAA ready than a lot of people expect. Diarra, along with McNeeley and Flagg, were some of the kids in the Jordan Classic, that looked like they were ready for the next level. Plus, I feel Hurley loves Diarra in that sixth man role.)
SG: Mahaney
SF: McNeeley
PF: Karaban (Stewie if Karaban goes pro.)
C: Reed

Reaction Score
nust wanted to bring up Jayden Ross who is listed at 6’7 195lbs. He has very good skills and was a 4 star I think, good shooter, but what are his prospects for PT and he needs to be 215 and stronger for his position. Wonder what he can expect, and if he’s not going to get PT is he content riding pine?
Ross, I think, is the biggest question mark is any projection of next year's second five. If Alex does not return, Ross must be penciled in as the backup 3, probably behind McNeeley, but we have not seen enough of him to do this with any confidence. That is why most speculation about a filling another scholarship comes down to a shooting forward.

Reaction Score
I also posted this in another thread, but it also belongs here:

I'm actually disappointed at our progress so far.

Assuming a roster size of 11 players, there could be 462 possible starting lineups. If we get to 12, it balloons to 792 possible starting lineups.

We can do better, Boneyarders!!!

Reaction Score
Opening Night:
Diarra
Mahaney
Stewart
Karaban
Samson

National Championship:
Diarra
Mahaney
Stewart
Karaban
Reed
Hot take leaving McNeeley out.

Reaction Score
I’m sure this has been mentioned ad nauseum throughout these threads. But how sure are we of Karaban’s return? I get the idea that he could rise up in the draft after another year, but how confident are we he actually comes back? And if he doesn’t do we just stick with this lineup or do we add in the portal? Just something to consider.

Reaction Score
I’m sure this has been mentioned ad nauseum throughout these threads. But how sure are we of Karaban’s return? I get the idea that he could rise up in the draft after another year, but how confident are we he actually comes back? And if he doesn’t do we just stick with this lineup or do we add in the portal? Just something to consider.
Personally, I ignore all projected lineups that include Karaban. Alex has declared for the draft ("a lifelong dream"), written a farrewell note to fans, and DH has recruited a 5-star freshman to replace him. Looks like a sealed deal to me.

I am not among those, btw, who feel that having Alex, Stewart and McNeeley fighting for the two forward positions is "a nice problem to have." All three would be deserving major-minute starters, and it's always best to give your deserving starters starter's minutes.

I don't think DH expects to have such a problem, and, equally relevant, I don't think Alex intends to create one.

Reaction Score
Last year at this time we could easily pencil in Newton Karaban and Clingan as starters.

I don't think anyone can be assumed for next year unless AK comes back. If not, pick 4 of Diarra, Ball, Mahaney, McNeeley and Stewart and let the odd man out be the super 6th man.

I give the inside track to upperclassmen and returners.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
No way is Ball or Mahaney a true PG. I think Hass will start but Mahaney might be playing the SG too. Hurley likes having two ball handlers in at the same time to run the offense at least to start. I think Ball is the first guard off the bench unless he improves his handle and driving skills. Either way I don't see a lineup at least of the start of the season where Hass isn't our starting PG.
Hurley himself has already said he wants Hass in an off the bench role.

Reaction Score
If McNeeley sees this he’s going to uncommit…
You think McNeeley is guaranteed a starting spot if AK comes back? I wouldn't think that. Would still see a ton of minutes even if he comes off the bench.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No way ball is only getting 10 minutes if he improves his game like most of us see him doing. I think he will get at least 20 minutes.
I posted this rotation idea in another thread, but you tell me who's losing minutes for Ball?

Diarra(25)-Mahaney(15)
Liam(25)-Mahaney(10)-Solo(5)
Stewart(25)-Solo(15)
Alex(30)-Ross or Abraham(10)
Center(20)-Center(20)

Reaction Score
I posted this rotation idea in another thread, but you tell me who's losing minutes for Ball?

Diarra(25)-Mahaney(15)
Stewart(25)-Solo(15)
Center(20)-Center(20)
First of all Liam is going to play SF and backup on PF he won't play SG with what we have. Diarra gets 25 minutes with Nowell who you don't have getting 15 minutes. Mahaney will get 30 at SG with Ball 10, McNeely gets 25 at SF and Ball can back up there for 10 minutes. Stewart gets 25 at PF with McNeely backing up there 5 minutes and Abraham/Ross 10 minutes between SF/PF. 20/20 split for Center I agree.

No way Nowell doen't play. I don't see Ross and Abraham splitting up 10 minutes depending on who is playing better and need.

Also, I'm confused you said how does Ball get 20 minutes when you have him at 20 minutes. LOL!

Thus

Diarra 25 Minutes
Nowell 15 Minutes
Mahaney 30 Minutes
Ball 20 Minutes
McNeely 30 Minutes
Stewart 30 Minutes
Ross/Abraham 10 Minutes
Samson 20 Minutes
Reed 20 Minutes

There is a chance that Ross/Abraham don't play then I split those minutes to Diarra and Nowell. So then Diarra at 30 minutes and Nowell at 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Diarra(25)-Mahaney(15)
Stewart(25)-Solo(15)
Center(20)-Center(20)
Ross or Abraham. But you already have Ball at 20 minutes so those minutes will actually be going to Nowell

Reaction Score
Maybe. But he's old for a junior. He's looking at probably playing at least 5 fewer minutes a game. There's no small ball 5 minutes now and Stewart/Alex/McNeely each need 20+ and can only play the two F positions. I don't think it will be an easy choice for him.
I don't know how - whether the "small ball" lineup or sliding McNeeley over to the 2, but the coaching staff is going to find ways to get all three on the court at the same time should Karaban come back and Stewart make the "leap" we are anticipating. How will likely depend on matchups.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Ball starts. Not even certain he sees much time. Unless he has a dramatic change in attitude, he looks like the antithesis of a Hurley player. Kind of a me first, show off rather than a share the ball, make the extra pass guy. This will be a very interesting team. The last 2 had multiple key guys who had played together and for 2-3 years. For all the talk about what we lost from 23 to 24, we had multiple players who had played critical roles. Karaban, Newton and Clingon were regulars. 2 started the other came off the bench on a regular basis. Certainly way more than Ball and Stewart. Diarra played some too. In many ways 2024-25 is a completely new team. And we are trying to replace some really special players. Newton and Clingon were guys you don’t just replace. You can replace shooters. Point guards and dominant bigs aren’t as plentiful.

This will be an interesting team to watch. I could see them struggle early. But with luck they come together and make a good run.

Reaction Score
If McNeeley sees this he’s going to uncommit…
I’ve been wrong many times before lol, so Liam if you see this - don’t worry.

In all seriousness, if Karaban comes back he’s the only starter you can pencil in IMO. Really excited to see how it all shakes out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom