Mahany
Stew
Sampson

Limited unless they make some noise early
Ross
Abraham
Singare

Reaction Score
Wasn't Newton a combo at ECU? I don't know if Dan views Mahaney with the same PG potential he saw in Newton, but haven't we learned he can turn a high bbiq guard like Mahaney into a full time PG already?

I still think Diarrac starts to begin the season, but I also think the people shutting down the idea should at least remain open to the possibility, especially cause it opens up minutes for Ball at the 2.

He averaged 5 APG the year before he came here and was ball dominant at ECU. He may have played with another point guard, but he wasn't a combo.

Reaction Score
Which do you disagree with? Mahaney at PG? I don’t think he’s much more of a PG than Cam was.

He only averaged 2.6apg last year which is half of what Mariciulonis averaged 5.3.

You were advocating for Mahaney because we needed a third ball handler which I agreed with but I didn’t know you wanted the other two ball handlers on the bench.
We don't know what the rotations will be or what Hurley and staff envision for this team. We have 7 months until next season rolls around, half the team has never played here, and at most only 3 of our players got over 10 minutes per game last season. I think there will be so many combinations for the 5 we can have out on the floor at any given time and it will be the biggest battle we've seen for playing time. On paper it's the most versatile team Hurley has had yet.

Reaction Score
I think we start the year playing 11 guys getting minutes which will quickly condense down to 10 and 9 by the end of the year. I'm guessing Diarra keeps his sixth-man spot. Mcneely leads the team in minutes much like Alex did as a freshman.

Mahaney (25)
Ball (22)
Mcneely (28)
Stewart (25)
Samson (22)

Diarra (22)
Reed (15)
Nowell (15)
Ross (13)
Abraham (10)
Singare (3)

Reaction Score
Trying to understand why some posters think Hassan will play the same role with the same minute allocation (Edit: I guess hurley hinted at keeping in the same role. Still think the minutes should rise) ? His performance last year indicates he become a starter or atleast playing lots of tick. As a fan, I would like to see him in extended time because of just how good he is defensively and how he improved as a shooter (FT + 3). I'm thinking close to 25-30 mpg where he plays together with both mahaney and nowell to shore up any defensive limitations.

He's not a creative offensive player that will drive the offense but I think he can take even another leap as a shooter...he is definitely more of a off guard on offense I understand.

Reaction Score
Diarra is starting, he’s not only earned it he’s also our best PG as of today.

Ball is also starting. The way Hurley talks about him, his development and his freshman to sophomore year jump points to him being our starting SG.

Stewart is starting at the 3, will go to the 4 if AK leaves. Same deal as Ball, listen to the way Hurley talks about him, listen to what AK said about him all year. It’s his spot.

AK or Stewart

Samson is the starting 5.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
The article was posted here earlier in the month, can’t find it on my Google search but did find this.

“Head coach Dan Hurley may be most comfortable returning Diarra to the sixth man role, where he thrived last season.”

There is a huge difference between "may be" and "Hurley said". Hurley said that Hass will need to accept his role, but that could just as easily be "vocal leader" as "sixth man".

Reaction Score
Diarra is starting, he’s not only earned it he’s also our best PG as of today.

Ball is also starting. The way Hurley talks about him, his development and his freshman to sophomore year jump points to him being our starting SG.

Stewart is starting at the 3, will go to the 4 if AK leaves. Same deal as Ball, listen to the way Hurley talks about him, listen to what AK said about him all year. It’s his spot.

AK or Stewart

Samson is the starting 5.
mahaney is starting. other than karaban mahaney is the most likely to start on the team.

Reaction Score
Mahaney can absolutely play the 1 in our offense.
I’m less concerned with whether or not Mahaney can play the one than a starting lineup where McNeeley is our second best ball-handler. When in the last two seasons have we run an offense with one real ball-handler/facilitator?

Reaction Score
Our starters played a lot more minute last season compared to 2022-23 .
Three guys were in the 31-33 range
as opposed to zero guys over 30
Next years team appears to a be a return and will come at you in waves . Starting is less relevant than minutes to a coach ,
Ray Allen started 0 games as a freshman but was our second leading scorer
Olander and Nolan started but typically played less minutes than their sub .
Diarra will be in the top 5 for minutes regardless of whether he starts or not. It’s mostly because he is a great defender .

Reaction Score
mahaney is starting. other than karaban mahaney is the most likely to start on the team.
I think on paper this is true, and might be what Hurley thinks will happen before he gets on campus. But we've got some real talented dudes that will be fighting him for minutes and the starting spot. If Karaban and Stewart are starting, that means 4 of Mahaney, Diarra, Ball, Nowell, McNeeley, and Ross will be on the bench.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This is definitely tricky, given the relative lack of experience and definite lack of experience with THIS group...

But I would say that 2 of Diarra, Solo, Mahaney will start and 2 of the 4 (with Nowell) will generally always be out there, save for spot matchups.

AK is no question starting, and I think McNeeley and Stewart will battle it out for final starter but both will play somewhere between 20-30 minutes so it's probably just for optics who starts there. I'd guess Stewart given his seniority. If AK leaves, McNeeley and Stewart are both starting at Forward, I don't think that's even a question in MY mind.

The 5 spot is toughest to figure...I think that might genuinely be a battle in camp but with Samson going in as the favorite due to seniority. I think similarly to Stewart/McNeeley, Samson has it unless Reed takes it from him or he fumbles it badly. Otherwise, they should be roughly both get starter minutes.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Our starters played a lot more minute last season compared to 2022-23 .
Three guys were in the 31-33 range
as opposed to zero guys over 30
Next years team appears to a be a return and will come at you in waves . Starting is less relevant than minutes to a coach ,
Ray Allen started 0 games as a freshman but was our second leading scorer
Olander and Nolan started but typically played less minutes than their sub .
Diarra will be in the top 5 for minutes regardless of whether he starts or not. It’s mostly because he is a great defender .

All great points.

Diarra, Karaban, Mahaney will lead the team in minutes, if I had to guess. Stewart, McNeeley, Ball close behind.

Reaction Score

Who is he starting over? Solo and Stewie are starting 100%.

Reaction Score
Trying to understand why some posters think Hassan will play the same role with the same minute allocation (Edit: I guess hurley hinted at keeping in the same role. Still think the minutes should rise) ? His performance last year indicates he become a starter or atleast playing lots of tick. As a fan, I would like to see him in extended time because of just how good he is defensively and how he improved as a shooter (FT + 3). I'm thinking close to 25-30 mpg where he plays together with both mahaney and nowell to shore up any defensive limitations.

He's not a creative offensive player that will drive the offense but I think he can take even another leap as a shooter...he is definitely more of a off guard on offense I understand.
Hurley's last words in an interview eluded to Hassan taking and extra step up in role. Presumed that will be starting if he can do that. He definitely can create offense off the dribble he just has to keep working on his shot to keep the defense honest. Having another ball handler like Mahaney starting with him would be ideal as he wouldn't have to put all the buriden on himself. I think it will be Diarra and Maheny starting at guards. Ball will be the first guard of the bench.

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see how Ball Stewart and Ross develop over the summer.

Reaction Score
I would bet that Mahaney starts over Solo

Hurley has been doing interviews talking about the major jump he expects Stewie and Ball to take. Let’s not forget Mahaney is coming from a mid major.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom