PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Never thought I'd enjoy the L.A. area. Lived in San Francisco for a year and loved that and could easily see living there for good, but always had a bias that L.A. was not for me. Then I traveled there for work a few times and stayed in the Manhattan Beach - Redondo area. Loved it. Could definitely see myself living there if circumstances allowed. Took my family there (Santa Monica) for a week a few summers ago and my teen daughters thought it was the best place on Earth. Went into L.A. daily for various reasons, mostly without issue.

The 24/7 availability of pretty much anything you want, and the big city/incredible beach accessibility is unlike anything I've ever seen in this country.

The lack of green space was pretty shocking though. When you look back to shore from the ocean, you can't see any green, and that was strange to me. I understand that that's because people/buildings are occupying every square inch--and paying dearly to do so--precisely because they think it's best combination there is.

Green? The whole area looks like a desert. Some green, not much

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Just got back from San Diego and surrounding area. Beautiful, ever-sunny and incredible beaches. Only drawback is driving & traffic. Seems like even the local roads are 4-6 lanes. Route 5 has 10-12. Don't know if I could get used to that.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Some folks are shocked that a kid who grew up in CT could be a fan of the team most people (not on this forum) see as the preeminent college basketball program over the last 25 years? Really?
I hope they never win another game, but it is not weird and I would be happy to be his fallback school.

Reaction Score
Actually, if you are talking straight diwntown. LA is so so. But if you take the city as a whole, it's varied and interesting. Where my son and family live (happen to be going out there later this week, in Westwood, it's great. Granted, its not as exciting as Kansas City, but what is?

And even downtown gets better and better seemingly on a monthly basis. The restaurants in downtown LA alone right now would make LA one of the best eating places in America.

While it's a classic Superjohn post to proclaim a place a "terrible city" after a couple visits, LA is just way too big to have a handle on without spending some serious time.

Reaction Score
And even downtown gets better and better seemingly on a monthly basis. The restaurants in downtown LA alone right now would make LA one of the best eating places in America.

While it's a classic Superjohn post to proclaim a place a "terrible city" after a couple visits, LA is just way too big to have a handle on without spending some serious time.
Not my kind of city, too much sprawl, traffic, bad public transportation, lacks the culture of other great cities, so many transplants that not many people care about the sports teams, not even having an NFL team is a joke. I like easily walkable cities with distinct neighborhoods, I also like having the four seasons. LA's food scene has definitely improved in recent years to make it more competitive with the other major cities, so I guess it has that going for it. Glad you think LA is awesome though, happy for you!

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
So Duke has signed Thornton, a top 20 player overall in 2015 after reclassifying down from 2016. Thornton has expressed a desire to be two-and-done, which is the expectation given his age (he's young) and pro potential (good, but not incredible - he'll have to produce in college). Also bear in mind that this was the expectation for Jones, though winning a natty justifiably changed that.

For 2016, Duke are heavily onto two PGs. First is Dennis Smith (top 5 player overall in 2016), who's from North Carolina. Their biggest competition for his services currently is NC State (!!!). He's expected to be a one-and-done.

The other is Frank Jackson from Utah, who is a top 25ish player in 2016 and a BYU decommit. They haven't offered him yet, but are expected to and will be competing vs. Arizona and Utah for his services. He's not expected to be a one-and-done.

For 2017, Duke are onto Troy Brown from Nevada, a top 5 player overall and expected one-and-done. They're competing against all the other blue bloods for him.

The other 2017 PG they're said to have the strongest interest in is Matt Coleman of Virginia, a top 20 player overall who's not expected to be a one-and-done. Right now he's listed as a strong UNC lean and doesn't have an official Duke offer, though obviously both those things can change.

Waters and Blake Harris, a 4-star PG from Virginia, look to be the "Break Glass in Case of Emergency" options for 2017.

Obviously things can and do change in recruiting, but I think the "we should stop recruiting Waters" comments are kind of nuts.

Reaction Score
I'm serious who cares about Waters? There's a lot of this guys around....next! C'mon

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I'm serious who cares about Waters? There's a lot of this guys around....next! C'mon
Of all the deluded SOBs on this board you're my favorite. I think it's the profile pic.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Tre Waters was on my Long Term Parking Shuttle last night out of Bradley, I assume coming home from the Adidas event he headlined in. It was 5-10 minutes of the curtain getting pulled back on the recruiting process. I'm glad I don't have to navigate it as a kid or a father.

And?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Tre Waters was on my Long Term Parking Shuttle last night out of Bradley, I assume coming home from the Adidas event he headlined in. It was 5-10 minutes of the curtain getting pulled back on the recruiting process. I'm glad I don't have to navigate it as a kid or a father.

"I heard some very interesting things about a player we are aggressively recruiting. I'm not going to tell you anything about it, though."

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I think his point was that it's a toling process for families, not that he knows intricate details about Waters' recruitment.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
"I heard some very interesting things about a player we are aggressively recruiting. I'm not going to tell you anything about it, though."
Pretty much. I draw the line at the sharing someone's private conversation who intended it to be private and had no idea they were in the company of a grown man who makes it his hobby to know which highschool sophomores are up-and-coming ball players. Maybe the mistake was posting anything to begin with. I'm not trying to bait you. Nothing I heard would indicate anywhere he was leaning for school. Just things that made me think about how I would try to deal with it as a player or father and really didn't have an answer. It was also nothing incriminating about Tre or the people he was with, for the record.

Reaction Score

OK, he'll let you know this. They were not flying over Pacific waters at the time.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Did you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement?

Reaction Score
Pretty much. I draw the line at the sharing someone's private conversation who intended it to be private and had no idea they were in the company of a grown man who makes it his hobby to know which highschool sophomores are up-and-coming ball players. Maybe the mistake was posting anything to begin with. I'm not trying to bait you. Nothing I heard would indicate anywhere he was leaning for school. Just things that made me think about how I would try to deal with it as a player or father and really didn't have an answer. It was also nothing incriminating about Tre or the people he was with, for the record.
Blah, blah, blah.

Did he at least tell you anything about conference realignment?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I can't make fun of Skiblets too bad, I've made my own say something/say nothing thread. I know UConn is working hard to get in anywhere they can and that's enough to make me relax on CR.

Reaction Score
I can't make fun of Skiblets too bad, I've made my own say something/say nothing thread. I know UConn is working hard to get in anywhere they can and that's enough to make me relax on CR.
I'm just playing around - I trust Skibblets as well. (And you.)

Reaction Score
Tremont Waters now ranked #36 in ESPN's 2017 rankings.

Reaction Score
Tremont Waters now ranked #36 in ESPN's 2017 rankings.

Just shows how much height is valued probably couldn't name 3 guys in the 2017 class with a better basketball iq and feel for the game but if he doesn't grow i could see him falling out of the top 50. Not that thats necessarily a bad think as far as a commitment to uconn is concerned

Reaction Score
Just shows how much height is valued probably couldn't name 3 guys in the 2017 class with a better basketball iq and feel for the game but if he doesn't grow i could see him falling out of the top 50. Not that thats necessarily a bad think as far as a commitment to uconn is concerned

Only thing dropping him is his play, he's originally a 2016 kid so scouts probably realize there's a good chance he is what he is height wise. Tyler Ulis is about the same size and he rose in the rankings every year until he became a top 25ish kid by the end of his senior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom