PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I can't understand anyone saying UCONN should move on because he likes Duke. I am thankful the staff doesn't feel as some posters, otherwise no one would end up at Storrs.

Reaction Score
Asked if UConn was his "dream school," Waters paused for a moment and answered: "Well, it's my home state, so, I'd have to say 'Yeah.' Or Duke. Since I was little, I used to watch Duke all the time. They have a ton of point guards that they've produced. I just like the way they play."

That is an ugly quote. I'm all for keeping tabs and recruiting him but certainly hope the staff isn't making him the #1 priority at guard. The dominoes can fall our way for sure, and I don't discount that, but man I hope they cast a wide net. Really ugly quote IMO. Hope the staff has seen that one.

Yeah it's ugly but kids don't know what to say half the time. I mean he obviously likes UConn and for whatever reason, also Duke. That's ok they all have to like someone. I think the kid has excellent game and his handle, shot, passing ability all look real good. But you need Boats athleticism to be undersized these days and he's not even as big probably 2" smaller (just a hunch). I am guessing there are better options out there but he wouldn't hurt that's for sure. Just not as enamored with him as many here but I get that. I like Jalen sized kids myself - yeah I know Bazz/Boat blah blah blah - that was special

Reaction Score
I live in Boston now and CT for most of my life. That being said, LA/SoCal is the greatest place on earth and I plan on moving out there as soon as possible. The weather is perfect, the women are beautiful, and life there is just... better. To each his own I guess.

I have always thought, if I was an elite basketball recruit, despite how much I bleed blue, I probably wouldn't go to UConn. Having lived on that campus for 4 years, I almost transferred out after 2 but stuck it out for literally the only two reason: UConn Basketball and being close to family.

I just spent 3 weeks there.

This time I went north into the Valley and beyond for the first time. Spent time in Malibu as well.

I'd say the women are incredible around Hollywood and Beverly Hills, maybe Studio City, but things have changed. Cali ain't what it used to be in those beach pictures of Malibu, Santa Monica, etc. I remarked more than once on how very Buffalo it all was (but without weather, of course).

I like LA a lot as well. There's a lot going on in town, I was surprised by it this time (though this was my 3rd time in 5 years). NYC is dying while LA is thriving.

Reaction Score
I can't understand anyone saying UCONN should move on because he likes Duke. I am thankful the staff doesn't feel as some posters, otherwise no one would end up at Storrs.

The kid needs to protect himself as well, better not to say anything. You never know how your offers pan out. Think of Kuran Iverson as a freshman. He was a top 10 kid.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I like LA a lot as well. There's a lot going on in town, I was surprised by it this time (though this was my 3rd time in 5 years). NYC is dying while LA is thriving.
That's because people who create culture can't afford to live in NYC anymore. They've been replaced by financial types who moved there to consume said culture, but contribute nothing to it and price the creative types out of the market. These days the east coast creatives are moving to Baltimore & Philly - or across the country to LA - instead of NY, Boston or DC.

Same thing has happened in San Francisco, except the move has been less drastic - just across the bay to Oakland. @deedougie can probably speak at length on this.

caw

Reaction Score
So much time before the kid sets foot on a college campus just let it play out. I mean, who knows who will even be the coach at Duke by then.

Reaction Score
Didn't Ben Gorden want to go to Duke and got jilted? That worked out pretty good.

Reaction Score
Not that it hasn't been heard before but thats not great news. It boggles my mind how a kid can grow up in this state and be a Dukie and not like UCONN, but thats just me. What will make it interesting is Coach K's status at that point. He will be 70 at that time (42 years in). Tremont figures to be a 3-4 year college, its no sure thing Coach K will be around for all or even some of the time he will be there. Better believe that he will hear that from other coaches just like all the negative recruiting our recruits heard towards the end of the Calhoun days.

I think your right this is a huge factor if coach k leaves which I still think there is a remote possibility he does this year, if not it is still going to have an effect on duke recruiting shortly duke is still really a one coach program i dont by any means think they fall off the map buts it going to be a hurdle they need to overcome. I still want waters I agree brown is priority 1 but if we can snag both. Wow

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
People here don't understand the concept of recruiting

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you're smart enough and/or talented enough to get a scholarship to Duke, you'd be foolish not to consider it seriously imo.

And if you already live in CT, that fact alone may make Duke (and any number of other out-of-state elite schools) more attractive to you than UConn.

And I hate to say this, but the kid looks like a Dukie to me.

Reaction Score
Definitely Ben wanted Dook but they wanted a floor slapping white kid instead I'm sure.
Actually Duke went with Daniel Ewing instead. Overnight his class ranking shot up. Another overrated Duke recruit.

Reaction Score
Actually Duke went with Daniel Ewing instead. Overnight his class ranking shot up. Another overrated Duke recruit.
It was daniel Ewing, I remember it now. I remember seeing him in the final four and laughing about it. Only tough game of that tourney!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
2017 is still a long way off.
Perhaps Tremont will grow,but when was the last time that Dook had a point guard that was under 6 foot, let alone under 5'10"?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hey may want duke... But does duke want him...? Never heard anyone in this thread mention if they're even recruiting him.

Reaction Score
I live in Boston now and CT for most of my life. That being said, LA/SoCal is the greatest place on earth and I plan on moving out there as soon as possible. The weather is perfect, the women are beautiful, and life there is just... better. To each his own I guess.

I have always thought, if I was an elite basketball recruit, despite how much I bleed blue, I probably wouldn't go to UConn. Having lived on that campus for 4 years, I almost transferred out after 2 but stuck it out for literally the only two reason: UConn Basketball and being close to family.

I lived in San Diego for 3 years from 2011-2014 and it was really nice, but I honestly prefer New England. I only visited L.A a few times, but I didn't like it nearly as much as San Diego.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If Waters becomes a McDonald's All-American, he's definitely going to Duke......

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Several times, terrible city.
Actually, if you are talking straight diwntown. LA is so so. But if you take the city as a whole, it's varied and interesting. Where my son and family live (happen to be going out there later this week, in Westwood, it's great. Granted, its not as exciting as Kansas City, but what is?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Never thought I'd enjoy the L.A. area. Lived in San Francisco for a year and loved that and could easily see living there for good, but always had a bias that L.A. was not for me. Then I traveled there for work a few times and stayed in the Manhattan Beach - Redondo area. Loved it. Could definitely see myself living there if circumstances allowed. Took my family there (Santa Monica) for a week a few summers ago and my teen daughters thought it was the best place on Earth. Went into L.A. daily for various reasons, mostly without issue.

The 24/7 availability of pretty much anything you want, and the big city/incredible beach accessibility is unlike anything I've ever seen in this country.

The lack of green space was pretty shocking though. When you look back to shore from the ocean, you can't see any green, and that was strange to me. I understand that that's because people/buildings are occupying every square inch--and paying dearly to do so--precisely because they think it's best combination there is.

Reaction Score

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Asked if UConn was his "dream school," Waters paused for a moment and answered: "Well, it's my home state, so, I'd have to say 'Yeah.' Or Duke. Since I was little, I used to watch Duke all the time. They have a ton of point guards that they've produced. I just like the way they play."

That is an ugly quote. I'm all for keeping tabs and recruiting him but certainly hope the staff isn't making him the #1 priority at guard. The dominoes can fall our way for sure, and I don't discount that, but man I hope they cast a wide net. Really ugly quote IMO. Hope the staff has seen that one.
Duke may have better options.

Reaction Score
I remember reading an ESPN article on Ben Gordon years ago and he was quoted "I just really hate Duke"...I believe it was after the '04 title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom