PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer) | Page 20 | The Boneyard

PG Makai Ashton-Langford (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Adams and Dyson are in different categories
For team success Adams role is much more important compared to Dysons role.
Adams had to make everyone better ,he is the man, Dyson or any 2 is concerned mainly with thrir own ability
Dyson tried to be the man on a pretty talented team but predictable failed (NIT)
even though he had one of the most gifted leaders in UConn history playing besides him.
The year after he left along with a few others we won the NC.

If we're not comparing JA to Kemba,Bazz,AJ,Kalid ,then the next couple of years will not be fun.

Reaction Score
I loved Dyson and the toughness and energy he brought... but Adams clearly has more point guard skills and a higher ceiling. Adams is a legit NBA prospect. Dyson is an overseas player who had a brief taste of the NBA. Pretty easy to see that Adams is the better fit for the NBA.

Reaction Score
Every time I come to this thread looking for a MAL update and see Dyson talk I want to scratch my eyeballs out. Fishy can you lay some smack down or something?

Sounds like we are in a good position for MAL and I'm excited about that.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My Dyson recollections are not nearly as rosy as many here. I remember a 2 guard with limited outside shooting ability who was a holy terror on the break, but driving into a set defense in the half court, preferred a straight line path to the hoop and always seemed to pick up his dribble a step too late to do anything but force a shot, and who usually had more TOs a game than dimes. Jalen doesn't strike me as Dysonesque at all, except for the marginal 3 point shooting part. I see Jalen's role as very much like Kemba's once he had 'bazz to partner with -- Play the point, but when the younger, more natural point guard is in the game, put on a scoring guard's hat.
As far as MAL goes, if Ollie wants him, I want him. That simple. I want KO to have the pieces he feels comfortable with to create the team that he wants to build. Same as I always wanted for JC.

Reaction Score
I hope Jalen ends up as good as Dyson. People severely undersell Dyson. Dyson was a warrior for us. He never took a play off. His defense was excellent & he always took pride in it. He never averaged less than 12 ppg (12.5 ppg - 17ppg as a senior). He passed the ball too (3 apg career). Maybe he wasn't the greatest shooter & sometimes took it to the well too much, but he gave 100% effort every game & cared about winning. He was athletic as hell. Anyone thinking Dyson wasn't a great player for us needs their heads examined. When he got injured in 2009, I felt he was the missing piece who could have stopped that MSU run. I'd take a Dyson on our roster every year. Jalen has similar energy, athleticism & game, so I'm excited to see Jalen play this year. They are kinda similar. I'm happy Jalen brings the same energy... enjoy it!

Dyson was a great kid, and I'd take another one of him in a second. But people on this board wildly overstate his intangibles (look at how many clichés you managed to squeeze into a couple sentences here..."never took a play off," "100% effort," "warrior"...) to the point that it seems like they're conjuring up platitudes in the wake of a tragedy.

Yes, he left a tooth on the floor. Act of courage, no doubt about it. Kid was tough as nails. But he was the undisputed emotional leader on what was among the most bi-polar teams we've ever had, and their violent, unpredictable vacillations from greatness to apathy seemed to mirror his personality and leadership style.

I don't know how many plays he took off, but I'd bet it wasn't less than the other guys on the team. His surges of unbridled energy may have blinded people to his occasional indifference to transition defense and weak side coasting. Additionally, there seems to have been whispers around the program (and I'm not talking about the chief type) that his commitment to game prep wasn't the best, and was that the case, it certainly rubbed off on a directionless team that will rank among the most disappointing in UConn history.

It's not remotely fair to scapegoat him for 2010 (which I'm not doing, that team had real, basketball problems) and omit his value to prior teams. All I'm saying is, the guy people are describing when they wax poetic about Dyson is Kemba Walker.

Reaction Score
UConn: “That’s been my school since I was young. They have been really good at producing point guards too. Coach [Kevin] Ollie, that’s my man. I really like them.”

Going into visits, UConn could have a slight edge. He lit up when talking about the Huskies and Kevin Ollie, and openly admitted to growing up a fan of the program.

Reaction Score
UConn: “That’s been my school since I was young. They have been really good at producing point guards too. Coach [Kevin] Ollie, that’s my man. I really like them.”

Going into visits, UConn could have a slight edge. He lit up when talking about the Huskies and Kevin Ollie, and openly admitted to growing up a fan of the program.

Outside of verbally committing on the spot, I don't know how much more laudatory a statement UConn as a program, or KO as a coach, could have received.

Reaction Score
Everything I've heard from multiple people close to him makes him sound like a lock, unless a KENTUCKY, Duke, or Kansas type team tries to make a real run at him which looks less and less likely

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Not all MAL but some nice clips of his skill set especially inside

Reaction Score
Talk is that we probably are the leader with MAL. Two top guys said we are close. Really done to uconn and ville

Reaction Score
Talk is that we probably are the leader with MAL. Two top guys said we are close. Really done to uconn
If one of either scruggs, tremont, or mal commits we are likely out of the running for the other 2 right?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If one of either scruggs, tremont, or mal commits we are likely out of the running for the other 2 right?
Scruggs is likely a Xavier lean. They are bringing in a loaded class relative to their program this year. I guess it's the Big East bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom