Pasqualoni/DeLeone defenders thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Pasqualoni/DeLeone defenders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He is not going to be terminated for cause if he is terminated. Period.

No kidding - but the idea that anyone has proposed that has been posted like 3 times in the last few days.

He is never even going to be terminated. He'll negotiate a buyout and 'resign' because he is a decent person and the athletic department will show him that respect.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No kidding - but the idea that anyone has proposed that has been posted like 3 times in the last few days.

He is never even going to be terminated. He'll negotiate a buyout and 'resign' because he is a decent person and the athletic department will show him that respect.

He will not be terminated for cause, and anyone who thinks he will is an idiot.

Now does anyone else want to attack this strawman?

pj

Reaction Score
He'll be terminated, but not for cause. Why would he re-negotiate the buyout? He negotiated the buyout when he signed the contract. $1 mn through Dec 31, $750k after.

Reaction Score
It's funny that in a thread where there's 99% consensus we're still trying to find things to fight about.

Reaction Score
I know everyone wants to see the next version of Oregon here at Storrs and they want to see it now. That's the problem. Your not going to see it now and it won't matter if you bring Lombardi or Landry back from the grave.
This is a big part of the problem. We have bought in Lombardi's offense from the grave.
Neal Brown might not make us Oregon East, but I'd love to see him get a chance to make us Texas Tech North.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry.........USED TO inhabit?
Trust me, after the depths of GRob and that entire debacle, where we are today in terms of optimism, outlook, and enthusiasm is world's apart.
We now actually have hope at the Cuse.....and as we all know-
"Hope...is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies".
-Andy Dufresne-

Reaction Score
This is a big part of the problem. We have bought in Lombardi's offense from the grave.
Neal Brown might not make us Oregon East, but I'd love to see him get a chance to make us Texas Tech North.
Lombardi during his time was an innovator. Landry in his time was an innovator. That was my point. No matter who you bring in it's going to take time.

Whaler 11 said:

A: I don't care what state recruits are from, I care if they can play.
A lot of you guys were complaining before he came that we weren't getting top in-state kids to commit.

B: You can't say there was no RB and ignore McCombs season and then bring him up as a positive later in the post.
McCombs got bounced around like a ping pong ball last year, same as this year. And all I said was that he's gonna be here for a while. Didn't say he was going to be the next Jim Brown. I do think he's going to be useful though.

C: Someone correct me if I'm wrong but DeLorenzo, Cruz and Davis are Edsall recruits.
Did I say they weren't or are you just reading what you want to hear again? All I said was they are going to be around for a while.
D: You compared Calhoun who took over a team at the bottom of a league to PP who took over a team at the top of a league.
Don't kid yourself. They won a 3 way tie in a league that was down that year. They won it on a long field goal where the offense couldn't get the ball across the goal line to save their ass.

E: The defense stopped plugging in the second half of the Maryland game.
I guess your just going to be that glass half empty guy.

F: Only the truly insane are looking for
success at the level of Oregon. If this team went 7-5 and 7-5, no one would be calling for heads to roll - they would be excited about the mythical #uptick.
I've lived in CT all my life and have been reading the UConn forums for a few years now. If they went 7-5 this year plenty would be complaining about that. "it's not good enough, they could have went 8-4. The league sucks, they'll never be a top 10 team, the seats are uncomfortable, the bathrooms are too cold. WAAAAAA.....WAAAAA......WAAAA!!"

Reaction Score
I suspect if a Neal Brown-style offense was installed next season by someone who could motivate like Lombardi it would have a quicker impact than some folks think.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
... Just got to give it the same time everyone gave Calhoun to bring a winner to Storrs.

I love the optimism of your post, I really do. I just don't think it is realistic in today's landscape.

Re: the quoted piece, There are really two totally different situations.
-In 1986, Calhoun was in his early 40's and had a positive track record, showing success and progress at every level. Coach P is in his 60's and was run out of town at his last job of this caliber.
-Calhoun was 9-19 in 1987, but 20-14 and an NIT Champion in 1988 (i.e. immediate upward trajectory.)Coach P currently has a flat trajectory, at best, and in danger of missing the post season for the 2nd year.
-Calhoun took over a middling, if not worse, basketball team. Coach P took over a consistently winning program. I agree with you. UConn was probably not in Oklahoma's class and another team may have hada better shoing, but they were in a bowl game. Coach P can't say that.

Above all, the money and media coverage related to NCAA football in 2012 dwarfs that of 1986 Basketball. You really can't get around the What-Have-You-Done-For-Me-Lately mentality because there's too much money at stake.

Reaction Score
I suspect if a Neal Brown-style offense was installed next season by someone who could motivate like Lombardi it would have a quicker impact than some folks think.
What are the realistic chances of that happening? Hey lets face it, Coach P is from here and wants to be here. This isn't a stepping stone job for him. How long is a Neal Brown gonna hang around Connecticut really? You look around this state and the school systems and parents would rather see kids kicking a soccer ball around so what football that is being played here does not have the support that most other states give. It's a shame but it's the reality of a state mostly run by women.

Reaction Score
Husky 25 wrote/typed: Above all, the money and media coverage related to NCAA football in 2012 dwarfs that of 1986 Basketball. You really can't get around the What-Have-You-Done-For-Me-Lately mentality because there's too much money at stake.

I can agree with that statement. If, at the end of the season, the AD decides to go in another direction then that's fine too. I'll support coach P till he is no longer the head coach of the Huskies, then I'll support the next guy. But for now all I can do is support the players and the coaching staff that are representing UConn because above all else I am a UConn Husky fan and I'm not going to on the people that are actually on the field representing the school.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What are the realistic chances of that happening? Hey lets face it, Coach P is from here and wants to be here. This isn't a stepping stone job for him. How long is a Neal Brown gonna hang around Connecticut really?...

This seems to be as negative of an outlook and most here have for the current regime.

Are the fans supposed to just deal with a coach who wants to be here because the next coach may potentially leave after making a name for himself? Bullox!!! At 63 years old, I would want to keep a $1,000,000 job too. Any $1 million job.

By the way, it might behove you to go back in and amend or erase the last part of your comment. They are discussing out-of-context Rublican party politics in the Cesspool.

Reaction Score
"I calls em the ways I sees em". If that's not politically correct then too friggin bad.

Reaction Score
not sure if discussed but, one possibility for AD Manuel is to hire his own OC that would be his coach in waiting ( a la Luck with Dana at WVU).
Few benefits to this move:
- continuity for the recruits.
- allow PP to save face ( I would think the man has some pride and would like to retire on high note- year or two from now)
- appease some fans ( but not all )

That said, not sure:
- if chemistry would be a problem
- what are Dan Brown's aspirations - is he waiting to take over?
- if PP would put friendship with GD ahead of his legacy.

Reaction Score
What are the realistic chances of that happening? Hey lets face it, Coach P is from here and wants to be here. This isn't a stepping stone job for him. How long is a Neal Brown gonna hang around Connecticut really? You look around this state and the school systems and parents would rather see kids kicking a soccer ball around so what football that is being played here does not have the support that most other states give. It's a shame but it's the reality of a state mostly run by women.
Neal Brown interviewed at UMass last year for the head coaching job. I'd find it hard to believe he'd interview there and not here.
I have a hard time understanding why people keep denigrating this coaching job and we have to settle for a native who isn't up to the task. We've got a top 25 if not top 10 facility for starters. A pretty decent education (certainly better than UMass) to offer recruits. We've got the resources to pay a competitive salary, especially for a 33-year-old first-time head coach looking to make a mark. We're hosting freaking Michigan next year and playing other big names down the road (I have faith Warde will be able to schedule competitively, a la ND at Fenway in 2014).
Brown also has two young kids. Any young coach with kids will find out that the suburbs of CT - which has it faults but not quite as bad as described above - is a pretty decent place to raise them. They mights come here thinking stepping stone but the lifestyle and less-pressurized environment than in the SEC or Big 12 could hep you bag a lifer like JC or Geno.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Neal Brown interviewed at UMass last year for the head coaching job. I'd find it hard to believe he'd interview there and not here.
I have a hard time understanding why people keep denigrating this coaching job and we have to settle for a native who isn't up to the task. We've got a top 25 if not top 10 facility for starters. A pretty decent education (certainly better than UMass) to offer recruits. We've got the resources to pay a competitive salary, especially for a 33-year-old first-time head coach looking to make a mark. We're hosting freaking Michigan next year and playing other big names down the road (I have faith Warde will be able to schedule competitively, a la ND at Fenway in 2014).
Brown also has two young kids. Any young coach with kids will find out that the suburbs of CT - which has it faults but not quite as bad as described above - is a pretty decent place to raise them. They mights come here thinking stepping stone but the lifestyle and less-pressurized environment than in the SEC or Big 12 could hep you bag a lifer like JC or Geno.

It seems that we are on the same page on more than a few topics, ruskin...

Reaction Score
It seems that we are on the same page on more than a few topics, ruskin...

Some people are never happy - http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=188&f=1650&t=9989282

Reaction Score

My like of ruskin's post was moreso for the notion that UConn can attract someone other than a 63 year old, who wants to hang onto a $1 million job, to coach the football team...even if it is for a few years or as a stepping stone.

No issues - I'm only pointing out that even when a team is 6-1 someone will think what they have sucks and the offense is flawed (could only wish that was our problem)

Reaction Score
So weyuo, let's pretend you are Warde Manuel. You inherited a coaching staff that has sucked the life out of your University's football program. Your President does not sanction mediocrity and has deftly squeezed the trigger before on some pretty big game. Your future, your salary, your legacy depends on lots of things--- but most certainly on pushing your athletic programs to the next level. You aquiesced to Kevin Ollie in a political move for several obvious reasons. Now you have a choice. You declare that PP and staff are making real progress and deserve to be kept on---or---you say the program has receded over these past two years and you believe new leadership is required to move the program to the next level. You thank Coach P for his service, pay him his buyout and introduce Coach X. What's your call Mr. Manuel?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"I calls em the ways I sees em". If that's not politically correct then too friggin bad.

You are in the tank for this staff for some reason - it can't possibly be based on a single thing you've seen on the field. And if they were 7-5 people would complain - I said they wouldn't be calling for blood.

This season has been a complete embarrassment. Come up with one legitimate reason to give the staff another season. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom