Pasqualoni/DeLeone defenders thread | The Boneyard

Pasqualoni/DeLeone defenders thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll be looking forward to some new Al Gore-style "the altitude change bothered him" style excuses.

To participate, you have to come up with something else besides

1) Winningest Big East coach; 2) successful in NFL; 3) Ct native; 4) Great relationships with CT/NY/NJ coaches; 5) great recruiter.

Have fun!

Reaction Score
I'll be looking forward to some new Al Gore-style "the altitude change bothered him" style excuses.

To participate, you have to come up with something else besides

1) Winningest Big East coach; 2) successful in NFL; 3) Ct native; 4) Great relationships with CT/NY/NJ coaches; 5) great recruiter.

Have fun!

Oh, I forgot. 6) Edsall sucked as a recruiter and left cupboard bare.

Proceed.

Reaction Score
Who has defended them?

Weird thread.
He just wants to hear the argument. I said in another thread, he's no worse than RE, but that's the best you can say. And if that's the best you can say, he would have to go, because RE would have to go. RE, btw, is turning it around at MD, because, in large part, it's a lot easier to recruit to MD, and there's a lot more talent in MD/PA willing to go to MD. No one exactly wants to come to CT right now, especially right now, but regardless, PP will not be the answer, and the sooner we move on, the better.

Reaction Score
John, lotsa defenders, but they keep quiet postgame but then bubble up and peak Tuesday/Wednesday. Just would like them to step forward when everything is fresh in our minds.

Reaction Score
He just wants to hear the argument. I said in another thread, he's no worse than RE, but that's the best you can say. And if that's the best you can say, he would have to go, because RE would have to go. RE, btw, is turning it around at MD, because, in large part, it's a lot easier to recruit to MD, and there's a lot more talent in MD/PA willing to go to MD. No one exactly wants to come to CT right now, especially right now, but regardless, PP will not be the answer, and the sooner we move on, the better.

I agree with your first part, but disagree with your second part. Edsall inherited a 9 win team and went 2-10 last year. This year he is 2-2 with the only wins being a 7-6 win over William and Mary and a win over Temple. I don't think that's turning it around.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big fan of PP. I would like know, however, amongst those who are critical, how you expect much offense from an offensive line that appears to be mediocre? Were the line even slightly above average I could see a win over NCS and WMU. Rutgers is simply a better team, despite their penchant for stupid penalties. The play calling is stunningly un-creative, however, with mediocre blocking it wouldn't make much of a difference if we had Steve Spurrier (well, maybe a little). Watch WVU's blocking on offense, both at the line and downfield.

Reaction Score
People can continue to throw the line under the bus all they want. You have a head coach and offensive coordinator who didn't use one time out in the first half despite getting the last possession at midfield w/33 seconds left. A far worse offense than failing to execute this uncreative uninspired "scheme".

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Well, I might say the chances that UConn firing P mid-season are almost zero, or that they might fire him at the end of the season but that it's more likely he gets another year and they fire DeLeone. But let's be clear, that's not the same thing as defending P as a good coach, it's trying to be realistic about the fact that UConn won't be as quick on the trigger as at a Florida or similar "big time" football school.

As far as the five positives about P that you cited, those are reasons P was hired, but IMHO they won't be enough to save his job at the end of 2013 unless the team starts winning more.

Reaction Score
Here is a defense:

He is not going anywhere do we have the capital to buy out his contract?

Most of the issues we have is with the offensive line and guess what? There is nothing in the pipeline unless we get some I those 300 pound kids from dean this offseason

Big Offensive line = holes I can run through. ( my fourty time probably 7.4 on a bike). Also gives qb time.

So future has some issues now what r u gonna do as a fan

Reaction Score
Watch WVU's blocking on offense, both at the line and downfield.

You mean the WMA who put up 55o yards against UMass today in a 52-14 win? 280+ passing from back-up QB and 260+ rushing.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
John, lotsa defenders, but they keep quiet postgame but then bubble up and peak Tuesday/Wednesday. Just would like them to step forward when everything is fresh in our minds.

How about you offer to meet PP / GDL apologists after school in the playground so you can beat them up?

I've heard very little defense of GDL on this board. Maybe Carl early on but not much since. As for HCPP, the best criticism against him is that he doesn't recognize how bad GDL is. The other, which we have seen time and time again is that he is not a good clock management guy which is really disappointing. I still think the defense was damn good today. They gave up one TD drive the entire game and held Rutgers to two field goals when given bad field position due to TO's.

It looks like the Big East is bifurcated this year far more than normal. There are three teams up top (Louisville, Rutgers and Cincinnati) and then the rest, including us, is pretty much crap. This team still has as good a chance as any to beat the other four crap teams starting next week.

Reaction Score
I agree with your first part, but disagree with your second part. Edsall inherited a 9 win team and went 2-10 last year. This year he is 2-2 with the only wins being a 7-6 win over William and Mary and a win over Temple. I don't think that's turning it around.
Stephon Diggs, then. Stephon Diggs will turn the program around all by himself.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Just finished cutting my lawn couldn't find anyone out their to defend them and I live on the border of P's old home town

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
How about you offer to meet PP / GDL apologists after school in the playground so you can beat them up?

I've heard very little defense of GDL on this board. Maybe Carl early on but not much since. As for HCPP, the best criticism against him is that he doesn't recognize how bad GDL is. The other, which we have seen time and time again is that he is not a good clock management guy which is really disappointing. I still think the defense was damn good today. They gave up one TD drive the entire game and held Rutgers to two field goals when given bad field position due to TO's.

It looks like the Big East is bifurcated this year far more than normal. There are three teams up top (Louisville, Rutgers and Cincinnati) and then the rest, including us, is pretty much crap. This team still has as good a chance as any to beat the other four crap teams starting next week.

This. Good post. I think it's fair to say that there are no defenders of GDL, period. I think the defenders of PP (myself included) have seen him for what he always was; a defense-first, field-position managing, no-chance-taking coach; very much in the mold of our former coach. But his clock management....his clock management!!!.....you would never in a million years expect this type of clock management from someone who had been coaching for a million years....

Reaction Score
This team still has as good a chance as any to beat the other four crap teams starting next week.
Not so sure about that. What does "good a chance as any" mean? If it means, "not entirely impossible," then maybe, maybe I agree. It is not entirely impossible we win two out of four of USF, Temple, Syr, Pitt. We could go 2-4 from here. That's the best we can do. And that will be a tough battle. You could add to that "unless things change," but that's not saying anything. Are things going to change? No. I will predict 2-4 to close out.

Reaction Score
There are no pp apologists. If he believes in deleone, and doesn't replace him, he is toast. Period.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Not so sure about that. What does "good a chance as any" mean? If it means, "not entirely impossible," then maybe, maybe I agree. It is not entirely impossible we win two out of four of USF, Temple, Syr, Pitt. We could go 2-4 from here. That's the best we can do. And that will be a tough battle. You could add to that "unless things change," but that's not saying anything. Are things going to change? No. I will predict 2-4 to close out.

I understand it isn't the popular view right now but I still think we go 4-2 from here on out losing to Louisville and Cincinnati and winning the others. There is no reason, even with all the warts this team has, that we can't beat Temple and Pitt at home and what I believe are pretty bad Syracuse and USF teams on the road.

What is disappointing is the degree of separation between the top tier and the rest in the Big East this year. Being the best of a bunch of crappy teams (which is my hope) is kind of a sad goal.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big fan of PP. I would like know, however, amongst those who are critical, how you expect much offense from an offensive line that appears to be mediocre? Were the line even slightly above average I could see a win over NCS and WMU. Rutgers is simply a better team, despite their penchant for stupid penalties. The play calling is stunningly un-creative, however, with mediocre blocking it wouldn't make much of a difference if we had Steve Spurrier (well, maybe a little). Watch WVU's blocking on offense, both at the line and downfield.

This is probably the best that how I feel can be summed up. We can't block for sh#t.

Reaction Score
I should say - we can't block as a team for sh#t. We have one or two decent blockers.

Reaction Score
Exactly how many peanuts we talkin

$1.75m or more if pro-rated...

University of Connecticut Contract Summary, Paul Pasqualoni, Head Football Coach

CONTRACT PERIOD: The term of the contract is January 14, 2011 through December 31, 2015.

SALARY/PUBLIC RELATIONS AND MEDIA APPEARANCES: The contract calls for an annual base salary, as well as annual payments for institutional public relationsand media appearances. The following is a year-by-year summary of those payments:

January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011: Base Salary $350,000, Public Relations and Media Fees $1,150,000; Total: $1,500,000
January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012: Base Salary $375,000, Public Relations and Media Fees $1,225,000; Total: $1,600,000
January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013: Base Salary $400,000, Public Relations and Media Fees $1,300,000; Total: $1,700,000
January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014: Base Salary $425,000, Public Relations and Media Fees $1,375,000; Total: $1,800,000
January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015: Base Salary $450,000, Public Relations and Media Fees $1,450,000; Total: $1,900,000

NOTE: No general fund (state tax dollars) or tuition monies were used to provide any of the resources for this contract. The Division of Athletics at the University of Connecticut is an Auxiliary Service Fund entity and the sources of revenue include: gate receipts, private fundraising, corporate partnerships, television/radio rights, Big East conference revenues and NCAA revenues.

(I deleted sections here)

COMPENSATION FOR SERVICES AND PERFORMANCE: The coach will receive one non-cumulative payment equivalent to one (1) month of base salary for participation in a non-BCS bowl game or $100,000 for participation in a BCS bowl game. He will receive one-half of one month of base salary for selection as National Coach of the Year or one-quarter of one month of base salary for selection as Big East coach of the year.

BUYOUT: If the coach accepts a position as a head coach of football at an NCAA institution, or as a head coach in any professional football league, the following should be due to the University from the coach:
January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011: $1,200,000 January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012: $1,000,000 January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013: $500,000 January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014: $400,000 January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015: $250,000

In the event that the University terminates the contract for any other reason than just cause as defined by the contract, the coach shall be entitled to continue to receive the following payment in full satisfaction of the university's obligation to the coach: January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011: $1,250,000 January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012: $1,000,000 January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013: $750,000 January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014: $600,000 January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015: $400,000

Reaction Score
PP knew that the longer the Big East had undefeated teams, the better the league looks.

The better the league looks, the better the leverage for the new pay-outs.

The better the new pay-outs, the better the......aaaahh who am I kidding......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom