Paige.. AP All American First Team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Paige.. AP All American First Team

Reaction Score
Does this first team for Paige and second team for Clark suggest that Paige has the inside track for both player of the year and freshman of the year?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
AP All American does not qualify Paige for the Husky Wall of Honor. Only the WBCA All American Team qualifies a player for the Wall of Honor. I suspect Paige will get the WBCA Award sometime this week.
The WBCA honors are usually announced at the FF.

Reaction Score
First off, congrats to Paige and the others. What an incredible achievement. To me, and yes this is all subjective, but it’s inconceivable that any voter who claims objectivity would leave Paige off as 1st team. I would love to hear the rationale, which would be a direct comparison of that other player to Paige, stats and team accomplishments. Also might have a little bit of that ‘hate UCONN’ syndrome which was referred to in that Big East postgame presser.

Reaction Score
Congrats to all recipients. Owusu only getting 3rd team while Mcdonald and Collier make second is a puzzling choice, but otherwise I think voters did a good job.
Agree-

I don't get the hype for McDonald. She is a volume shooter and I've never seen her play a good game against a quality opponent.

Reaction Score
Gotcha...Please see post #21 in this thread.
The ESPN news article on this AP All American Team says "first place"... and so do all the others I found on the Web... but one, the Idaho Statesmen, lists the players "First Place" votes (likely meant to be FIRST TEAM), and total points they received. Paige got the MOST First TEAM Votes and the highest POINT Total.
Thanks for the link. Looks like Clark, Dungee and Williams got a combined 6 1st team votes. 2 of the voters must have thought one of them more worthy than Paige. Hard to fathom. Also, how often is the top rated WNBA prospect not on the 1st team. Frankly I wonder if Collier was really deserving of 2nd team.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Where is the poster that claimed that because of Hailey Van Lith and Clark, Paige will never be AA :)
Post in thread 'Will Hailey Van Lith and Iowa's Caitlin Clark beat out Paige for first team AA during her four years.'
Will Hailey Van Lith and Iowa's Caitlin Clark beat out Paige for first team AA during her four years.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
UConn has now had a first team All American for 14 years in a row. This ties the record that Tennessee set from 1988-2001. It looks like next year that UConn will be breaking another Tennessee record.
1st Team or making one of the 3 AP teams? UCONN didn't have a 1st teamer in 2012 or 2013.

Reaction Score
Gotcha...Please see post #21 in this thread.
The ESPN news article on this AP All American Team says "first place"... and so do all the others I found on the Web... but one, the Idaho Statesmen, lists the players "First Place" votes (likely meant to be FIRST TEAM), and total points they received. Paige got the MOST First TEAM Votes and the highest POINT Total.

Thanks for the additional information. Based on this set of voters, the Player of the Year is going to be a contest between Paige and Evans.

Reaction Score
Where is the poster that claimed that because of Hailey Van Lith and Clark, Paige will never be AA :)
In the witness protection program.

fence fail GIF

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Thanks for the additional information. Based on this set of voters, the Player of the Year is going to be a contest between Paige and Evans.
Evans is a nice player but I just don't see how she has any argument for NPOY. I feel like the inclusion of her and Collier on such high teams and being in contention for top awards is largely due to hype. Howard and McDonald too, to a degree.

Reaction Score
Paige would not complain if she won any NPOY awards this season.
;)
Paige knows history remembers the teams that win Championships.
"Great players are willing to give up their own personal achievement for the achievement of the group. It enhances everybody." - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
"They will remember Paige" - Geno Auriemma.
:)

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
AP All American does not qualify Paige for the Husky Wall of Honor. Only the WBCA All American Team qualifies a player for the Wall of Honor. I suspect Paige will get the WBCA Award sometime this week.
I believe no women's player has made WBCA All-American 1st team without also making the AP 1st team.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the link. Looks like Clark, Dungee and Williams got a combined 6 1st team votes. 2 of the voters must have thought one of them more worthy than Paige. Hard to fathom. Also, how often is the top rated WNBA prospect not on the 1st team. Frankly I wonder if Collier was really deserving of 2nd team.
Agreed. Also, if I were the GM of the Wings, I would be taking Evans with the 1st pick. She is deserving of going #1, and I think she has a higher ceiling than Ty Harris. Jefferson has been plagued with injury as well, so Evans would be a nice upgrade for them at PG. She and Ogunbowale would be a dynamic back-court. Take Collier second to ensure some size and hope Davis is around at 5th to get a solid wing player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm going by memory here, but Maya made All-American in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. I think Bria made it in 2012. Kaleena and Stef made it in 2013. Bria, Stewie, and Stef made it in 2014. Kaleena, Stewie, and Mo made it in 2015. Stewie, Mo, and Tuck made it in 2016.

Edit for completion: Lou and Phee in 2017, Lou in 2018, Lou and Phee in 2019, Megan in 2020.

Also noteworthy: Honorable Mentions in 2020 included Olivia and the future WNBA Rookie of the Year, Crystal Dangerfield.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Collier had a really inferior supporting cast making her job and putting up big numbers consistently a tough assignment.

Reaction Score
I'm going by memory here, but Maya made All-American in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. I think Bria made it in 2012. Kaleena and Stef made it in 2013. Bria, Stewie, and Stef made it in 2014. Kaleena, Stewie, and Mo made it in 2015. Stewie, Mo, and Tuck made it in 2016.

Edit for completion: Lou and Phee in 2017, Lou in 2018, Lou and Phee in 2019, Megan in 2020.

Also noteworthy: Honorable Mentions in 2020 included Olivia and the future WNBA Rookie of the Year, Crystal Dangerfield.
Gabulous Williams in 2017 and 2018
Full Lists on pages 71 and 72 of UConn WBB Media Guide for 2020-21.
2021 Media Guide (PDF) - University of Connecticut Athletics

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom