Paige.. AP All American First Team | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Paige.. AP All American First Team

Reaction Score
I believe no women's player has made WBCA All-American 1st team without also making the AP 1st team.
There's no differentiation between 1st and 2nd team for the WBCA. It's just a 10 member team. It's how Tuck became eligible for the wall. But it would be very unusual for a kid to make AP 1st team and not make the WBCA team.

Reaction Score
There's no differentiation between 1st and 2nd team for the WBCA. It's just a 10 member team. It's how Tuck became eligible for the wall. But it would be very unusual for a kid to make AP 1st team and not make the WBCA team.
While it’s rare, it does happen occasionally. Last year, Rhyne Howard made the AP first team but not the WBCA. I believe the last time before that was in 2016 when Rachel Banham made the AP first team but didn’t make the WBCA team.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
From a shooting perspective, this was McDonald's worst year stats wise at AZ. That being said, she was again the conference defensive player of the year, so she is an excellent two-way player. I do think her inclusion though has more to do with hype (she was a preseason 1st team AA) over substance.

Reaction Score
You are correct @eebmg , BUT, the article does say... she "received 28 first-place votes from the national panel of 30 media members that vote each week in the AP Top 25 poll." This means no one not named "Paige" got more than 2 "first place" votes from the 30 media members. This makes Paige's selection that much more impressive...bodes well for NPOY selection as well.

Well Done!!!
Hmm. Can we lay money down that 1 of the 2 votes was Antonelli???

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agreed. Also, if I were the GM of the Wings, I would be taking Evans with the 1st pick. She is deserving of going #1, and I think she has a higher ceiling than Ty Harris. Jefferson has been plagued with injury as well, so Evans would be a nice upgrade for them at PG. She and Ogunbowale would be a dynamic back-court. Take Collier second to ensure some size and hope Davis is around at 5th to get a solid wing player.
You’re saying the exact same thing I did in a previous post about Collier being the prohibitive number 1 draft pick next month. I’d take Evans before her too. Evans doesn’t shrink in big games.

Reaction Score
You’re saying the exact same thing I did in a previous post about Collier being the prohibitive number 1 draft pick next month. I’d take Evans before her too. Evans doesn’t shrink in big games.
No. Evans is playing well in regular season games but has a poor performance in the conference tournament

Reaction Score
Evans is a nice player but I just don't see how she has any argument for NPOY. I feel like the inclusion of her and Collier on such high teams and being in contention for top awards is largely due to hype. Howard and McDonald too, to a degree.
Paige should be POY, but I wouldn’t be totally mad if they gave the award to Evans, I mean going from missing out on ACC FOY to being 6th Man of the year to NPOY would be really persevering, now days most kids ranked pretty high coming out of high school would have transferred if they aren’t named a starter early in there college career.

Reaction Score
AP All American does not qualify Paige for the Husky Wall of Honor. Only the WBCA All American Team qualifies a player for the Wall of Honor. I suspect Paige will get the WBCA Award sometime this week.
You are so incorrect. The criteria is FIRST team AA, which the AP team is. In fact, to me, it is more prestigious to be named an AP First Team AA because it only has 5 members, thus, more competitive to get on than the 10 member WBCA AA team!!

Reaction Score
While it’s rare, it does happen occasionally. Last year, Rhyne Howard made the AP first team but not the WBCA. I believe the last time before that was in 2016 when Rachel Banham made the AP first team but didn’t make the WBCA team.
My post from last year regarding Megan Walker.
Updated for this season.

Since the inception of the WOMEN’S AP ALL-AMERICA TEAM LIST for 1994-95 season there have been 130 players named 1st Team and perhaps surprisingly 8 of those players weren't also named WBCA All-Americans the same season.

Year Player
1995-96 Kara Wolters
1995-96 Latasha Byears
1998-99 Dominique Canty
1999-00 Ruth Riley
2010-11 Jeanette Pohlen
2015-16 Rachel Banham
2016-17 Brionna Jones
2019-20 Rhyne Howard

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Lot of candidates for AA and two completely different selection committees, so it is understandable for a few instances over the years.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Paige should be POY, but I wouldn’t be totally mad if they gave the award to Evans, I mean going from missing out on ACC FOY to being 6th Man of the year to NPOY would be really persevering, now days most kids ranked pretty high coming out of high school would have transferred if they aren’t named a starter early in there college career.
It's a nice story and I'm sure she's a great kid, but she hasn't had a NPOY season. 20 points, 4 assists on 43% shooting for the 8th ranked team in the country isn't POY worthy, especially since you have players like Bueckers, Smith and Owusu whove had superior seasons IMO. Not to mention Clark/Hillmon.

Reaction Score
A few topics stemming from this thread and others that we need to clear up:
  • Paige has been the best player in the country this year and it’s not been particularly close. Any NPOY award for which she is eligible but does not win is a travesty.
  • Aliyah Boston is ever-so-slightly better than Elissa Cunane and that is why they are on the first and second team, respectively. They are the two top centers in the country so there aren’t really any losers here, but Twitter is abound with rage over Cunane’s second-team nod.
  • Dana Evans has been incredible but I just don’t think she had a better season than Paige.
  • NaLyssa Smith absolutely deserved this honor after a monster season for Baylor that, frankly, was largely unrecognized and disrespected (by media, not by the BYers).
  • I’m fine with CW and ONO getting AA HM, whatever, but I don’t know how any of you truly think either deserved a spot on one of the teams.
  • Cece Hooks of the MAC was recognized but Micaela Kelly was not, which is ridiculous, especially after Kelly outplayed her in the MAC tournament.
  • McDonald’s inclusion is probably in part due to her outstanding defense. I agree her offensive numbers do not warrant the nod.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No. Evans is playing well in regular season games but has a poor performance in the conference tournament
We'll see. I plan on watching every Texas and Louisville game along with parts of any others. I've seen about 4-5 Texas games from start to finish. I've seen 4-5 LV games, but I always check the box scores of both teams. Right now I'm more impressed with Evans than I am with Collier. I didn't see or pay any attention to their tournament. I was too engrossed and involved with ours. I will take your comment under advisement and watch her more closely in the tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m not mad at the team they picked at all. I’m glad NaLyssa Smith is finally getting recognized. I said she was better than Onyenwere and here we are. I would swap Rhyne Howard to second team with and put another player there. She and Paige are the two best players in college basketball without a doubt, but she didn’t play like imo.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
That's not what it means. Each voter has 5 first place votes to cast.
Thanks for this as I then did analysis and was able to deduce that each of the 30 voters gets 5 1st place votes worth 5 points each, 5 2nd team votes worth 3 points each and 5 3rd team votes worth 1 point each.
That’s 45 point each voter has (25+15+5). Page earned 146 points so 28-1st team =140 plus 2-2nd team =6 for the 146 total.
@PAHuskeyFan posted The Idahoan with all the vote totals.

Listed was a total of 147 votes for the 15 players on the 3 teams. Those points for all 15 players was 1268 points of the 1,350 available (30x45).
So all the Honorable Mention players are those receiving the other 3 First team votes and the remaining 82 points (1350-1268).

I am stating the obvious here but really a great job by Paige and as well as Great job by both Christyn and Olivia!

Our forum is sometimes far too critical of players who don’t achieve our expectations but yet achieve significant heights in the voting groups like this. Both CW and ONO are special as well and we are lucky to have watched them for 3 years and get to watch them for 1 more!

Thank you ladies and congratulations on this honor well earned!
:)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sifting through the hype and in line with my mid-major nondiscrimination policy, the real AP (All-Plebe) All-American teams:

1st team:
P. Bueckers
N. Hillmon
C. Clark
K. Williams
E. Cunane

2nd team:
A. Boston
A. Owusu
K. Bell
N. Smith
M. Onyenwere

3rd team:
A. MacDonald
K. Gondrezick
M. Selland
A. Hayes
N. Mack

Reaction Score
Agree-

I don't get the hype for McDonald. She is a volume shooter and I've never seen her play a good game against a quality opponent.
I think having a big name is a big part of this. Look, not to pick on Boston but I don’t think she had a very good year. She’s been sold interminably as the greatest post in the nation. Some have referred to her as “generational”. She had quite an average year imo; 14 points and 12 rebounds. I think Cunane had a better year and certainly Clark did but of course, they don’t have the big name hoopla that Boston has!

Reaction Score
So Maya Moore & Paige are the only 2 freshman all-Americans? Wow! Sayeth ESPN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom