OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Apparently the NFL doesn't think so. It's not on the list yet. We're still allowed to say Redskins without fear of public scorn.

Can't say "thug" but Redskins is ok.

Pretty much every single person who has an IQ over 40 thinks the Redskins should change their name. There is so much public scorn for the name I'm not sure how you could possibly write that.

It's not the NFL, it's one idiot. At some point in the medium term I imagine the NFL will force his hand
if he doesn't figure it out on it's own.

BTW - we all have it. You don't get Sherman's point on 'thug'.

Reaction Score
Maybe they should change the name to the Washington Oklahomans.

Reaction Score
Nope. I'm just wondering when someone is gonna make the list of words we're not supposed to say public anymore. Who's making the list? Sherman? He said thug is the new N-word. I'm sure the media will comply and we'll all be saying the T-word soon enough.

You know what really is the N-word equivalent? The name of the NFL franchise that plays in our nation's capital. I hope all of you guys never say the R-word.

First of all, you're absolutely right about the Redskins. It's a wildly racist term and should definitely be changed. Sadly, "tradition" trumps a minority group with virtually no power in the United States. So. Yeah.

Second of all, you can say whatever you want. I know that many people like to pretend their rights are being trampled when someone points out an ignorant thing they've said, but sorry, they're not. You are totally protected by the first amendment. You can say the most racist thing in the world and it's totally fine.

But context matters. If you start to notice that certain terms are only applied to certain races, i.e., thug is used predominantly with black men (but not always obviously), then you might want to think about how that influences the way we view race and culture. You might wonder why it's okay to throw that word around and why you view black and white athletes differently.

Nobody is making you say anything. There is no Thought Police. But some self-reflection might be considered.

Reaction Score
Of course you can. But at the same time, the word thug has taken on a bit of a racist connotation.

Now not everyone who calls someone a thug is a racist. But some racists do use it in a similar fashion to make the same point.

So basically you are saying is:

1. Person A uses the word 'thug'
2. Person B uses the word 'thug' and is an admitted racist
3. Persons A & B are both racist

Idiocy at its best. You really continue to amaze.

'The word thug has taken on a bit of a racist connotation"

Says who? You? The media because they make stuff up? You're insane. Guess what, it's just a word. I used the word cracker the other day. Am I racist? Or was I having a snack? Who knows?

You sensitive people dumb down this country.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So basically you are saying is:

1. Person A uses the word 'thug'
2. Person B uses the word 'thug' and is an admitted racist
3. Persons A & B are both racist

Idiocy at its best. You really continue to amaze.

'The word thug has taken on a bit of a racist connotation"

Says who? You? The media because they make stuff up? You're insane. Guess what, it's just a word. I used the word cracker the other day. Am I racist? Or was I having a snack? Who knows?

You sensitive people dumb down this country.

You are really making a strong run at biggest dope on this board. Congrats.

A handful of posts up I said that not everyone who uses the term is racist. That doesn't mean that Sherman doesn't have a point - that some racists use the word to convey a racist sentiment.

Are you so clueless to not look at the public reaction to Sherman's rant on social media and not see that a percentage of the backlash was blindingly obviously racist?

Reaction Score
You are really making a strong run at biggest dope on this board. Congrats.

A handful of posts up I said that not everyone who uses the term is racist. That doesn't mean that Sherman doesn't have a point - that some racists use the word to convey a racist sentiment.

Are you so clueless to not look at the public reaction to Sherman's rant on social media and not see that a percentage of the backlash was blindingly obviously racist?

Stupid people exist in the world, that is true, absolutely. I was just commenting on the fact that you made a comment that the word 'thug' has taken on a racial connotation, when in fact thug can be used to reference a person from any racial background. I don't think anyone who hears the word thug automatically pictures an African American, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just commenting on what I believe and how I react to that word.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Stupid people exist in the world, that is true, absolutely. I was just commenting on the fact that you made a comment that the word 'thug' has taken on a racial connotation, when in fact thug can be used to reference a person from any racial background. I don't think anyone who hears the word thug automatically pictures an African American, maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just commenting on what I believe and how I react to that word.

Well why don't you go read the Browne article on Grantland the other day and the Sherman article on deadspin and see that the world is bigger than just how you personally react to a word.

Reaction Score
Well why don't you go read the Browne article on Grantland the other day and the Sherman article on deadspin and see that the world is bigger than just how you personally react to a word.

Let me first say that I have no issue with the Sherman interview, but just because Sherman says he feels a certain way, that's good. There's also people out there that believe 'God' should be taken out of the pledge of allegience. Do we need to listen to them as well, or can we just go on and live life the way we always live it. There comes a time where we need to stop glorifying words because a small group of people think they are evil. In my opinion, its ridiculous.

I pose a different scenario all together. I play in a flag football league that is uber-competitive and borderline out of control. Some of the guys in it think they are playing for more than just fun. On more than one occasion in a game I have been called the n-word after a play cause the receiver thought I held him on an outside route, and I'm white. It's a competitive game we all have fun, things are chippy and we all get along after the game fine. The team we played was all black. How am I to react. To me, no big deal because that's how I am, I just don't care about words, but to others they may react differently. I know that's a whole other discussion altogether, but the word thug does not have any resemblance to the n-word. None, regardless of if people claim they think it does.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let me first say that I have no issue with the Sherman interview, but just because Sherman says he feels a certain way, that's good. There's also people out there that believe 'God' should be taken out of the pledge of allegience. Do we need to listen to them as well, or can we just go on and live life the way we always live it. There comes a time where we need to stop glorifying words because a small group of people think they are evil. In my opinion, its ridiculous.

I pose a different scenario all together. I play in a flag football league that is uber-competitive and borderline out of control. Some of the guys in it think they are playing for more than just fun. On more than one occasion in a game I have been called the n-word after a play cause the receiver thought I held him on an outside route, and I'm white. It's a competitive game we all have fun, things are chippy and we all get along after the game fine. The team we played was all black. How am I to react. To me, no big deal because that's how I am, I just don't care about words, but to others they may react differently. I know that's a whole other discussion altogether, but the word thug does not have any resemblance to the n-word. None, regardless of if people claim they think it does.

You may have noticed that throughout human history the meaning of words continually evolves.

You might note that in today' hyperconnected world, they can change even faster.

You don't get to be the lone judge and jury on how words are defined. I'm sure if the technology existed in the past we'd have a nice historical record of posts like yours raging against the machine.

Reaction Score
The good news is that in 6 days, the super bowl will be played, and we can all watch for what Sherman says and does, so that we've got another couple weeks of 7 page threads of nonsense to carry us closer to the start of spring ball.

Reaction Score
but the word thug does not have any resemblance to the n-word. None, regardless of if people claim they think it does.
You frankly have no idea what you are talking about. Does the word "boy" have any semblance to the n-word?

Call a 50-60 year old black man "boy" to his face and see what sort of response you get.

Reaction Score

Just because a word can be used in various contexts does not mean there can't be racial contexts. Yes, thug can be used in a lot of ways. When referring to former Syracuse players or Russian Prime Ministers.

But I think that "thug" is also being used very liberally towards young black men and there can be a racial connotation to it. When you start to notice social patterns where certain ethnic groups are treated differently. It doesn't make every person who uses the word thug a racist. But I think you'd be surprised at how common it is for there to be an underlying racial context.

In the case of the original post, the OP called Sherman a thug. What makes him a thug? Being outspoken and flamboyant? His Stanford education? The fact that he's rich?

If you changed nothing else about him but made him white, do you think the OP would still have used the word thug? Why or why not?

Reaction Score
Just because a word can be used in various contexts does not mean there can't be racial contexts. Yes, thug can be used in a lot of ways. When referring to former Syracuse players or Russian Prime Ministers.

But I think that "thug" is also being used very liberally towards young black men and there can be a racial connotation to it. When you start to notice social patterns where certain ethnic groups are treated differently. It doesn't make every person who uses the word thug a racist. But I think you'd be surprised at how common it is for there to be an underlying racial context.

In the case of the original post, the OP called Sherman a thug. What makes him a thug? Being outspoken and flamboyant? His Stanford education? The fact that he's rich?

If you changed nothing else about him but made him white, do you think the OP would still have used the word thug? Why or why not?

Forte - care to respond here, so we can end this discussion and move on to recruiting?

Reaction Score

Jeez he said he acted like a thug. And he did. If a thug was interviewed after a game, I'd expect him to sound exactly like that.

If Sherman was white, you nor I have any idea how Forte or anyone else would've reacted. My thought, since I don't assume people are inherently racist, is that he would've said the same thing if it were Jeremy Shockey, Aaron Hernandez, Marshall Henderson, or Eric Devendorf.

Reaction Score
Jeez he said he acted like a thug. And he did. If a thug was interviewed after a game, I'd expect him to sound exactly like that.

If Sherman was white, you nor I have any idea how Forte or anyone else would've reacted. My thought, since I don't assume people are inherently racist, is that he would've said the same thing if it were Jeremy Shockey, Aaron Hernandez, Marshall Henderson, or Eric Devendorf.

In that case, I've seen hundreds of examples of thuggish behavior from UCONN fans, both home and at road games. Much worse than anything that came out of Sherman's mouth.

Reaction Score
In that case, I've seen hundreds of examples of thuggish behavior from UCONN fans, both home and at road games. Much worse than anything that came out of Sherman's mouth.

I have too. But not on national TV.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I see where the stereotype comes into play now. #blinded

descarga.jpg

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Other thugs. #ShermanProtege

6e8.jpg

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I wonder how many people would call Gronk a "thug" if he made a similarly spectacular play to get his team to the Superbowl, after the guy against him talked a whole bunch of about him.

Reaction Score
I wonder how many people would call Gronk a "thug" if he made a similarly spectacular play to get his team to the Superbowl, after the guy against him talked a whole bunch of about him.

Pretty sure Tupac just rolled in his grave.

This conversation deserves a firing squad.

I find the whole thing very funny, because when I hear the word 'thug' and 'race' and associate images, it's white neo-Nazi skinheads that I invariably end up picturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom