OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT - Seattle Corner the NFL and Me over team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, maybe that we all now know what the actual meaning of the word "thug" is, the next time somebody uses it improperly, we all can shove it back in their faces and tell them to stop being ignorant, and the world will be a better place.

Peace. Love. Happiness.

Now, how long is it until we get to see our Huskies take the field and play like a bunch of crazed dogs?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure most of us would call you a racist (that's a really strong word), it's just that we think you probably wouldn't have used the word thug if it was a white guy who had did it. That's not to say it's your fault at all, we're just totally conditioned and used to hearing that.

Don't hedge. Go all in. What you're saying is, "You're really not a racist, but you kinda are."

You don't have the slightest idea what he would've said if Sherman were white.

Reaction Score
Don't hedge. Go all in. What you're saying is, "You're really not a racist, but you kinda are."

You don't have the slightest idea what he would've said if Sherman were white.

I said exactly what I meant to say. I still find it funny that you can get on your high horse about Sherman being classless and be totally fine with being obnoxious and classless on here yourself. Apparently sending your team to the super bowl after tons of trash talking for the previous three hours = not an excuse, but being on the internet and facing some people who disagree with you = perfectly fine.

Reaction Score
I said exactly what I meant to say. I still find it funny that you can get on your high horse about Sherman being classless and be totally fine with being obnoxious and classless on here yourself. Apparently sending your team to the super bowl after tons of trash talking for the previous three hours = not an excuse, but being on the internet and facing some people who disagree with you = perfectly fine.

Do you really have any idea what Forte would've said if Sherman were white?

A yes or no will do.

Reaction Score
Do you really have any idea what Forte would've said if Sherman were white?

A yes or no will do.
I will answer however I please big guy. I'm basing this off of this word being used to describe black players the VAST majority of the time. Could he have still said it if Sherman was white? Sure, but the chances are pretty high he wouldn't have. I'm not saying he thought negatively of what he said because he was black, just that he used the word thug.

Edit: And this didn't start as a discussion about Forte, this started as a discussion about the overall reaction of people calling him a thug.

Reaction Score
I will answer however I please big guy. I'm basing this off of this word being used to describe black players the VAST majority of the time. Could he have still said it if Sherman was white? Sure, but the chances are pretty high he wouldn't have. I'm not saying he thought negatively of what he said because he was black, just that he used the word thug.

Edit: And this didn't start as a discussion about Forte, this started as a discussion about the overall reaction of people calling him a thug.

So your answer is either no, or you're partially clairvoyant.

Maybe you're too sensitive about this and should sit this out. I disagree with here with Zoo, WingU, and others without much of a problem at all. Heck IrishLoop and I disagree on just about everything but I'd buy him a beer (although he'd probably decline). What puts a hair across my is sanctimonious do-gooders who feel the need to tell others how they think and feel and what's in their heart when they speak certain words.

We can all agree that some of the comments on twitter were over the top and racist in nature. But you can also call Sherman classless, unprofessional, and even use the word "thug" without the slightest implication of racism.

Reaction Score

Jimmy's being a mule - as I've been known to do as well, but all you're doing now is perpetuating the improper and negative use of the word "thug". If it really bothers you that much, then start using the word properly, and let anyone you know that the word means "violent criminal", and if their using it any other way, they are being ignorant and/or flat out wrong.

Reaction Score

Maybe you're too sensitive about this and should sit this out. I disagree with here with Zoo, WingU, and others without much of a problem at all. Heck IrishLoop and I disagree on just about everything but I'd buy him a beer (although he'd probably decline). What puts a hair across my is sanctimonious do-gooders who feel the need to tell others how they think and feel and what's in their heart when they speak certain words.

We can all agree that some of the comments on twitter were over the top and racist in nature. But you can also call Sherman classless, unprofessional, and even use the word "thug" without the slightest implication of racism.

I'm not sensitive about this issue at all and I don't take anything I read from anonymous people on the internet personally (it's just the nature of the internet). Apparently we can't agree to disagree. You have to be right. I stopped responding to you and you apparently couldn't take that and had to point out again why I was wrong. If this is what you need from the internet, then go right ahead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jimmy's being a mule - as I've been known to do as well, but all you're doing now is perpetuating the improper and negative use of the word "thug". If it really bothers you that much, then start using the word properly, and let anyone you know that the word means "violent criminal", and if their using it any other way, they are being ignorant and/or flat out wrong.

I'm just discussing it's use. It's not even that I think this is some terrible word (Sherman's comments about it being akin to the N-word are a little ridiculous IMO), I just think it's interesting how set in stone we are with certain terms for certain races in sports. I mean honestly, when's the last time you heard a black player being called "blue collar"? I'm not offended by the use of thug, I just find it interesting.

Reaction Score

But calling him a thug is about as off the mark as calling you a thug. Making a bombastic statement does not even remotely make you a thug. For some people it seems like the word "thug" has almost been redefined as a "black guy who doesn't look or behave in a way I am not comfortable with".

Reaction Score
I'm just discussing it's use. It's not even that I think this is some terrible word (Sherman's comments about it being akin to the N-word are a little ridiculous IMO), I just think it's interesting how set in stone we are with certain terms for certain races in sports. I mean honestly, when's the last time you heard a black player being called "blue collar"? I'm not offended by the use of thug, I just find it interesting.

Or when was the last time you heard a white player described as being really "well spoken"?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Maybe you should blow it out your .

You are acting like he committed a felony. Get some perspective.

Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure people around here believed Eric Devendorf was a thug at Syracuse and he's white. Thug can be used towards multiple races. Last time I checked thug was not a derogatory word against any specific race. You made this about race, don't complain about it then.

Reaction Score
"The Taliban were often well trained, arguably often better trained to fight in Afghanistan than many American troops. So what makes us different from the Taliban? What distinguishes a warrior from a thug? Certainly it's not the quality of our weapons or the length of our training." So, what makes someone a warrior and not a thug? Ultimately, we're distinguished by our missions in life and values."

Eric Greitens wrote that in his journal while on tour as a commander of Navy Seal outfit in Afghanistan in 2003. For those that don't know Greitens, he's a bit of an enigma. He's a Dukie, and a Greenpeace, I think, a social worker, humanitarian aid kind of guy that traveled the world after college - but was also a boxer, and then decided in his late 20's to do some officer's training school, and become a Seal. He wrote a book called the Heart and the Fist, that pretty much documents his own struggle mentally of dealing with trying to help people, and the undeniable fact, that in our world, there are times when violence is the only solution to a problem. He also runs an organization called "The Mission Continues" that helps wounded veterans to assimilate back into civilian life and get what they need most - and that's not thanks for their service, it's the feeling of knowing they are still needed.

There is no difference in the cold hard reality of being a Seal sniper, or a grunt on the ground head to head with an enemy soldier and pulling the trigger, or a thug on the sidewalk in anyone of our cities and communities. They all carry deadly weapons, and are capable of hurting and killing other human beings in cold blood. We have the daily reminder at UCONN, in the memorial to Jasper Howard, of what a thug is.

I don't like seeing the word used improperly any more than anyone else, and that's why I'm writing this.

Reaction Score
Or when was the last time you heard a white player described as being really "well spoken"?

Well I'm taking this to politics. Well-spoken is a compliment for many from the left. As MSNBC pointed out during the whole Zimmerman trial, enjoy this clip.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure people around here believed Eric Devendorf was a thug at Syracuse and he's white. Thug can be used towards multiple races. Last time I checked thug was not a derogatory word against any specific race. You made this about race, don't complain about it then.

I never said it is exclusively used against black athletes, just that the vast majority of the time it is. I'm also not complaining, just discussing it. Doesn't really bother me, but as I've said, and you obviously ignored, I just find this interesting. I also didn't make it about race because I certainly wasn't the first one to bring this up, I just joined in on the discussion.

Reaction Score
"The Taliban were often well trained, arguably often better trained to fight in Afghanistan than many American troops. So what makes us different from the Taliban? What distinguishes a warrior from a thug? Certainly it's not the quality of our weapons or the length of our training." So, what makes someone a warrior and not a thug? Ultimately, we're distinguished by our missions in life and values."

Eric Greitens wrote that in his journal while on tour as a commander of Navy Seal outfit in Afghanistan in 2003. For those that don't know Greitens, he's a bit of an enigma. He's a Dukie, and a Greenpeace, I think, a social worker, humanitarian aid kind of guy that traveled the world after college - but was also a boxer, and then decided in his late 20's to do some officer's training school, and become a Seal. He wrote a book called the Heart and the Fist, that pretty much documents his own struggle mentally of dealing with trying to help people, and the undeniable fact, that in our world, there are times when violence is the only solution to a problem. He also runs an organization called "The Mission Continues" that helps wounded veterans to assimilate back into civilian life and get what they need most - and that's not thanks for their service, it's the feeling of knowing they are still needed.

There is no difference in the cold hard reality of being a Seal sniper, or a grunt on the ground head to head with an enemy soldier and pulling the trigger, or a thug on the sidewalk in anyone of our cities and communities. They all carry deadly weapons, and are capable of hurting and killing other human beings in cold blood. We have the daily reminder at UCONN, in the memorial to Jasper Howard, of what a thug is.

I don't like seeing the word used improperly any more than anyone else, and that's why I'm writing this.

The Taliban are/were warriors even if disagree with their tactics. This notion that the US needs to train the Afghans how to fight is kind of misnomer. We were training them to operate more like us. The truth is most Afghan boys out there in the hills know how to fight before they are even teenagers. They've been fighting and have been a warrior culture since before the days of Alexander.

When OBL and all of these other rich Saudis started showing in Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation the Afghans all thought they were bunch a playboy dilletantes and they were viewed as soft, but they needed their money and resources.

Warriors can definitely employ "thuggish" tactics. SEALs and other Soldiers are Warriors, but they are really Soldiers, who respond to lawful orders from a valid chain of command and adhere to the laws of war. Comparing them to people who carry out acts of violence for the mere sake of it is just overly simplistic.

Reaction Score
Can we go back to talking about Religion in public institutions?

I'm praying for some recruiting news!

Reaction Score
Well I'm taking this to politics. Well-spoken is a compliment for many from the left. As MSNBC pointed out during the whole Zimmerman trial, enjoy this clip.

Or how about the need to emphasize a white WR or DB's athleticism?

What was in people's hearts when they called Marshall Henderson a thug?

Reaction Score
The Taliban are/were warriors even if disagree with their tactics. This notion that the US needs to train the Afghans how to fight is kind of misnomer. We were training them to operate more like us. The truth is most Afghan boys out there in the hills know how to fight before they are even teenagers. They've been fighting and have been a warrior culture since before the days of Alexander.

When OBL and all of these other rich Saudis started showing in Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation the Afghans all thought they were bunch a playboy dilletantes and they were viewed as soft, but they needed their money and resources.

Warriors can definitely employ "thuggish" tactics. SEALs and other Soldiers are Warriors, but they are really Soldiers, who respond to lawful orders from a valid chain of command and adhere to the laws of war. Comparing them to people who carry out acts of violence for the mere sake of it is just overly simplistic.

Absolutely. That's in the realm of warfare. So what's the difference between a warrior and a thug? There both violent and capable of killing. it's a good question. I agree with Greitens, it comes down to mission and life and values. If you take that a step further, you got to figure out where your mission and values and life come from - a warrior in one culture is going to be a thug in another.

You can make the stretch that a gang banger killing somebody on the street, would be considered a warrior by their fellow gang members, while the rest of community absolutely recognizes them as a thug.

I was writing somewhere else about UCONN community some aspects 25-30 years ago. Times were so much different. A 'thug' back then, as a violent criminal, was so much different than today. If I were an 18-25 year old kid today, out on a Friday or Saturday night, I would be quiet as a mouse if people started getting mixed up, and have my escape plan ready to go from the time I stepped into the bar. You just don't know anymore who's carrying a weapon, and capable of using it.

Reaction Score
Or how about the need to emphasize a white WR or DB's athleticism?

What was in people's hearts when they called Marshall Henderson a thug?

Agreed. It's ridiculous. People are different. All kinds of people are different. We were all born with inherent skills that are different from others. It's not racist or anything to say wow I'm surprised Wes Welker is a great wide receiver in the NFL. It's also not racist to say wow I'm surprised Russell Wilson is a level-headed QB who makes all the right decisions off the field. It's also not racist to talk about how great a public speaker Barack Obama is (who I am 100% not supportive of btw). Everyone is different, including when it comes to races. Asians have a stigma of being great mathematicians and terrible drivers. Blacks have the stigma of being unbelievable athletes who are ego-centric. Whites have the stigma of being un-athletic and terrible dancers. All of that makes each and everyone of us who they are. It's not racist to make an observation when trends and history overwhelmingly support the statements. In my opinion, just accept everyone for who they are. Racism in this day and age only exists because people continue to bring racism up time and again, especially in situations where there isn't racism whatsoever. This is where Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have failed. They've taken their agenda and tried to apply it to every situation.

On the Sherman interview, I have no issue with it. He's a great athlete, smart individual and pretty entertaining off the field. Here's one video from last year's Super Bowl, definitely enjoyed the 2nd interview he did:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Reaction Score
Absolutely. That's in the realm of warfare. So what's the difference between a warrior and a thug? There both violent and capable of killing. it's a good question. I agree with Greitens, it comes down to mission and life and values. If you take that a step further, you got to figure out where your mission and values and life come from - a warrior in one culture is going to be a thug in another.

You can make the stretch that a gang banger killing somebody on the street, would be considered a warrior by their fellow gang members, while the rest of community absolutely recognizes them as a thug.

I was writing somewhere else about UCONN community some aspects 25-30 years ago. Times were so much different. A 'thug' back then, as a violent criminal, was so much different than today. If I were an 18-25 year old kid today, out on a Friday or Saturday night, I would be quiet as a mouse if people started getting mixed up, and have my escape plan ready to go from the time I stepped into the bar. You just don't know anymore who's carrying a weapon, and capable of using it.

When I think of a thug my definition would be something like: Thugs commit random and unlawful violence against people or entities that have no ability to defend themselves for personal gain. But it's obvious that it has become an emotional term where the literal meaning of the word no longer applies. Last night, The Speaker of the House on Jay Leno called Vladimir Putin a thug and I think that's an apt description.

But yeah, Greitin's explanation is one I agree with.

Reaction Score
When I think of a thug my definition would be something like: Thugs commit random and unlawful violence against people or entities that have no ability to defend themselves for personal gain. But it's obvious that it has become an emotional term where the literal meaning of the word no longer applies. Last night, The Speaker of the House on Jay Leno called Vladimir Putin a thug and I think that's an apt description.

But yeah, Greitin's explanation is one I agree with.

:)

I like your definition, but I got to say, that back a few pages, if you look up the word in the old Merriam-Webster dictionary - it's defined in two words. Violent Criminal. I think your definition can kind of be summed up that way too. But who am I to judge the ability to be concise and brief in writing..........

At least here among the Boneyard, hopefully we've corrected the use of the term. Putin was an active KGB agent for the Soviet Union. It's safe to say that whatever he was programmed as an agent, is still with him. As was the same case for OSS/CIA man George Herbert Walker Bush.

Reaction Score
As a matter of fact I did.

And referencing the fringe extreme who make racist remarks on twitter doesn't mean the whole world is racist.

I admit I'm old school and hate this crap. But it doesn't matter what color they are. I hate Shockey and Laettner for the same reason. Bird and Jordan were the greatest trash talkers of all time. But you never saw it.

If you guys find this crap entertaining and funny all the power to you. To each his own. But what Sherman did (and has a history of, btw) showed no class or professionalism at all.

Wow, you are AMAZING. Because the media wanted to protect the Bird and Jordan personas and didn't want to show them doing EXACTLY the kind of thing Richard Sherman does, that makes it ok ? Your neck must be sore flying back and forth with new and different reasons why Richard Sherman is one of the worst people alive because someone stuck a camera and a microphone in his face minutes after he made the key play to send his team to the Super Bowl and he wasn't sufficiently gracious enough for you.

Give me a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22