OT ~ Rutgers investigating football coach Kyle Flood for possible rules violation (NJ.Com) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT ~ Rutgers investigating football coach Kyle Flood for possible rules violation (NJ.Com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LMAO:

>>This is a game suspension, as is typical with the Big Ten and other sports,'' Barchi said. "He is not allowed to participate or have contact with the team on game day in any way shape or form. He is allowed and expected to work the rest of the time, and that's why there is a big fine.'' However, Flood will be permitted to be involved with the team in practices during the week.

"It was my decision,'' Barchi said of the disciplinary measure. "I believe it is my decision to make and I'm the one who made it. Obviously in making this decision I consulted with senior academic leadership, my vice president for academic affairs, I consulted with general counsel, I consulted with the executive committee of the Board of Governors, and I kept the entire Board of Governors informed along the way. I've had plenty of folks aware and a number of folks consulting with me but ultimately this was my decision.''<<

Reaction Score
LMAO:

>>This is a game suspension, as is typical with the Big Ten and other sports,'' Barchi said. "He is not allowed to participate or have contact with the team on game day in any way shape or form. He is allowed and expected to work the rest of the time, and that's why there is a big fine.'' However, Flood will be permitted to be involved with the team in practices during the week.

"It was my decision,'' Barchi said of the disciplinary measure. "I believe it is my decision to make and I'm the one who made it. Obviously in making this decision I consulted with senior academic leadership, my vice president for academic affairs, I consulted with general counsel, I consulted with the executive committee of the Board of Governors, and I kept the entire Board of Governors informed along the way. I've had plenty of folks aware and a number of folks consulting with me but ultimately this was my decision.''<<

Any note the omission? Barchi just suspended one of the highest paid and arguably most visible employee at Rutgers without consulting with said employee's boss - AD Hermann. Barchi doesn't mention her name nor title at anytime.

Reaction Score
Any note the omission? Barchi just suspended one of the highest paid and arguably most visible employee at Rutgers without consulting with said employee's boss - AD Hermann. Barchi doesn't mention her name nor title at anytime.
What a complete and utter dysfunctional disaster! Why even have a AD...this is better than watching a train wreck in slow motion. I would love to know if Delany has called there yet..and if he did the transcript of said conversation.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This should be a firing for cause...which means no buyout. They should be able to afford that no problem.
Exactly this. Insane that they haven't fired him.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So he can still do practices, film room, design plays / script, recruit, just not call plays or anything on game days. Hm.

Reaction Score
So he can still do practices, film room, design plays / script, recruit, just not call plays or anything on game days. Hm.
If he was smart he'd get a burner phone and talk to Norries Wilson the entire game...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Barchi spoke to NJ Advance Media only 15 minutes after notifying Flood of the suspension and fine, he said. The suspension is effective immediately.

Barchi said players had not yet been notified. Associate head coach Norries Wilson will take over game-day responsibilities, athletic director Julie Hermann said

A couple of thoughts:

Congrats to Coach Wilson, I guess.

Who the heck fires [on edit: that should read "suspends"] a coach and meets with the press before the team is notified?

Anyone else notice that AD Hermann has absolutely no authority at Rutgers?

Now, where I think a lot of the board will disagree with me, I have no problem whatsoever with a coach talking to the professor of one of his players, trying to get a handle on what's going on and trying to see if there is anything more that the player needs to/or can do to help him do better. At RU it is specifically prohibited, so Coach Flood is in the wrong, but in general I don't view it as a big deal, but I recognize that the professors here do. If a star athlete was skipping class in the last year of his eligibility and a professor informed the coach of it, would you guys be offended by that contact. If the coach said "it's not my problem" would you be offended by that?

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Now, where I think a lot of the board will disagree with me, I have no problem whatsoever with a coach talking to the professor of one of his players, trying to get a handle on what's going on and trying to see if there is anything more that the player needs to/or can do to help him do better. At RU it is specifically prohibited, so Coach Flood is in the wrong, but in general I don't view it as a big deal, but I recognize that the professors here do. If a star athlete was skipping class in the last year of his eligibility and a professor informed the coach of it, would you guys be offended by that contact. If the coach said "it's not my problem" would you be offended by that?

If this was the case, then I agree. Sadly I do not think it was. 1) Coach Flood used his personal e-mail account. If he thought he was on the up & up and only checking on a grade then there is no reason to use a non-Rutgers e-mail for Rutgers business. 2) This sort of rule is in place so a football coach can't use his position and influence to pressure an adjunct professor to push the kid through. After all, 50,000 people show up on Saturday to watch the kid run, not write a term paper on Jane Eyre.

I can't tell if the fact that the player was - one of about a dozen who were - subsequently arrested and (presumably) dismissed is just happenstance or not, but the whole situation oscillates from surreal to absurd by the minute.

Reaction Score
Rutgers AD Julie Hermann releases statement on Kyle Flood
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

>>Here is Hermann's statement:

"Yesterday, President Barchi shared with me the findings of the Office of Enterprise Risk Management, Ethics and Compliance review of the matter regarding Coach Flood.

I know Coach Flood understands the severity of his transgressions and I am fully supportive of President Barchi's decision to impose a suspension and a significant fine.

All of us must use this as an opportunity to grow as coaches, administrators and staff. We have been in the process of instituting additional compliance training as it relates to University policies on athletic-faculty communication and continue to enhance our documentation of all compliance-related meetings.

I have full confidence in Coach Norries Wilson to lead our team for the next three games and we will continue to provide the support necessary to enable our student-athletes to achieve success."<<

CL82

Reaction Score
If this was the case, then I agree. Sadly I do not think it was. 1) Coach Flood used his personal e-mail account. If he thought he was on the up & up and only checking on a grade then there is no reason to use a non-Rutgers e-mail for Rutgers business. 2) This sort of rule is in place so a football coach can't use his position and influence to pressure an adjunct professor to push the kid through. After all, 50,000 people show up on Saturday to watch the kid run, not write a term paper on Jane Eyre.

I can't tell if the fact that the player was - one of about a dozen who were - subsequently arrested and (presumably) dismissed is just happenstance or not, but the whole situation oscillates from surreal to absurd by the minute.
I don't disagree with any of that. I just don't get the "any contact between coach and professor is a war crime" attitude.

As to this specific instance Flood was wrong since he violated policy (and as you point, apparently knowingly wrong) and RU football is an absolute train wreck, and very probably the rest of the AD is as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of that. I just don't get the "any contact between coach and professor is a war crime" attitude.

As to this specific instance Flood was wrong since he violated policy (and as you point, apparently knowingly wrong) and RU football is an absolute train wreck, and very probably the rest of the AD is as well.
I'd like to think there are proper channels and protocols though which to check up on a borderline student-athlete.

Reaction Score
I'd like to think there are proper channels and protocols though which to check up on a borderline student-athlete.
There were, and Flood knowingly and deliberately went outside of those procedures, not just using personal email, but saying in one of the emails exactly why he was using a personal email... because he thought it wouldn't be found in an investigation...

Flood: "I am sending it from my personal email to your personal email to ensure there will be no public vetting of the correspondence."

CL82

Reaction Score
There clearly are and he clearly violated them. Read the report. But for the policy, I don't find his actions to be objectionable.

CL82

Reaction Score
There were, and Flood knowingly and deliberately went outside of those procedures, not just using personal email, but saying in one of the emails exactly why he was using a personal email... because he thought it wouldn't be found in an investigation...

Flood: "I am sending it from my personal email to your personal email to ensure there will be no public vetting of the correspondence."
Best possible argument, he wanted to protect the student's privacy from press OPRA request. Worst possible argument is the one you made. The record doesn't provide enough detail to determine which, if either, is correct.

Reaction Score
What a complete and utter dysfunctional disaster! Why even have a AD...this is better than watching a train wreck in slow motion. I would love to know if Delany has called there yet..and if he did the transcript of said conversation.

I would wager after last year, Hermann has an unlisted number.

Reaction Score
Barchi spoke to NJ Advance Media only 15 minutes after notifying Flood of the suspension and fine, he said. The suspension is effective immediately.

Barchi said players had not yet been notified. Associate head coach Norries Wilson will take over game-day responsibilities, athletic director Julie Hermann said

A couple of thoughts:

Congrats to Coach Wilson, I guess.

Who the heck fires a coach and meets with the press before the team is notified?

Reason #1 why Flood is still there. With this administration, who in their right mind would want to be the football coach at Rutgers?

Reaction Score
Rutgers AD Julie Hermann releases statement on Kyle Flood
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

>>Here is Hermann's statement:

"Yesterday, President Barchi shared with me the findings of the Office of Enterprise Risk Management, Ethics and Compliance review of the matter regarding Coach Flood.

I have full confidence in Coach Norries Wilson to lead our team for the next three games and we will continue to provide the support necessary to enable our student-athletes to achieve success."<<

One, Hermann is alive or at least someone is writing for her. Second, when it comes to NCAA violations within the athletic department, isn't it the AD's job to lead the investigation? What is she actually doing to earn her $450,000 annual base salary. Third, student success? Interesting idea considering what 6 players are now hoping for success in the court room instead of the classroom or out on the field.

Reaction Score
I don't think UM, tOSU, and PSU needed any more ammunition to outrecruit RU... Those schools sell themselves when compared to Rutgers. However, I do know of a certain school in the region that has done very well in NJ lately, that competes with RU for recruits fairly regularly, that could use this to their advantage...
I think I know that school too. Is it the one where the starting QB and the best halfback on the team went to the same high school in Elizabeth, NJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom