OT: Best Gourmet Chain Burger | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Gourmet Chain Burger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shake Shack is fine, but really no better than Wendy's in terms of burgers. I'd take Wendy's over 5 Guys as well.
Had BareBurger for the first time last weekend and it was excellent.
Little Pub in Ridgefield, Wilton and Cos Cob has great burgers as well.
Plan B is solid.

Reaction Score
Also if in Ocean City MD be sure to stop by Big Pecker's for a burger, they're excellent there.
Big Pecker's? Hmmm, not sure I'd want to eat there. Maybe I'm just not secure enough in my manhood!

Not a chain but if you're ever in Worcester try The Fix Burger Bar. Awesome burgers, nice place and a great beer list.

Reaction Score
Burger joints are popping up all the time

I'm sure this isn't the best way to categorize things, but I'll try:

National- fast food-cheap (can get a burger for $6 and under)

You could break this down into truly national places like McD and BK, but I’m going to include In N out and Five Guys because they are pretty well known and their prices are more in line with this category.

In N Out, Five Guys, Steak n Shake, McD, BK, Wendy’s, Jack in the Box, Carl’s Junior, Sonic, Whataburger, A&M, Roy Rogers, Hardees

Regional-old school fast food burger joint

Unfortunately, these are a dying breed. I haven’t lived in a suburban part of the NE for 20 years, but to me, I think of these as a West Coast thing. NYC definitely has none. Oakland still has a few of them-Sparky’s Giant Burgers is my favorite.

Regional ‘Gourmet’ fast food (fast casual)

Maybe this is the type of place the OP was thinking about? These are the places that are ‘mostly’ in urban areas and are new (post 2000). Burgers are normally over $6. Beer sometimes available. Fast food because no waiter/waitress. They are regional still, but spreading.

Shake Shack, Smashburger, Umami Burger, Fatburger

Regional, sit down, casual burger joints

This category, too, is fairly broad and can be broken down into categories. Burgers are generally $8 and up, serve beer; very regional; there are so many in this category.

Bareburger, Barney’s (CA)

Pubs that specialize in burgers (like Corner Bistro in NYC)

Too many to list. But I used to eat a lot of pub burgers in my 20s.

Regional, urban burger joints (burgers are usually over $12)

Rare in NYC is one and it’s very good. Too expensive for me though . . . .

Family’ restaurant burger places

Red Robin is one. Too many to list and I won’t go to them.

Overall, can’t beat In N Out for the price and taste.

Bareburger was a treat when I lived in Queens. Great burger, $3 pint of beer, yummy dipping sauces with the fries, super fast service. When our daughter was a baby, we went there once a week because we were in n out in 30 minutes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In N Out is not "gourmet". It's just a slightly better fast food burger. 5 guys burgers aren't even grilled. Not as good as what you'd get at a Chilis even.

Best I have had...Worthy Burger, South Royalton, Vermont. Local grass fed beef grilled over a maple wood fire. They don't overcook them either (I'm looking at you 5 guys). But they also have Hill Farmstead on tap...ahhh...perfection.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Best I have had...Worthy Burger, South Royalton, Vermont. Local grass fed beef grilled over a maple wood fire. They don't overcook them either (I'm looking at you 5 guys). But they also have Hill Farmstead on tap...ahhh...perfection.
Been trying desperately to get there on my last few VT trips but they're not open for lunch and the timing hasn't worked out. I have heard the raves though.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think you live in the shoreline area whats your thoughts on Haywire, if you have tried it? I went there once when they first opened and wasn't all that impressed but everyone always is talking it up as the best burger joint on the shoreline
Haywire is OK. Not terrible, not outstanding. Was just there last week.
a little hole in the wall in Old Saybrook called Jack Rabbits has some pretty decent burgers.

Reaction Score
It depends on whether you prefer the smashed-style, griddle cooked burger, or the thicker pub-style burger. I prefer the former. Little Pub, Plan B, Bare Burger, etc. are all good, but I will choose Shake Shack every time.

For me, fast food style burgers that I have tried are ranked as follows :
Shake Shack
Smashburger
In n Out
Five Guys

It's tough to decide what constitutes a gourmet burger. The quality of meat maybe? I know Shake Shack has a quality meat purveyor (La Frieda) and I think Smashburger does as well. I would be surprised if Five Guys or In n Out did.

For pub style, the burger at Fleisher's in Westport is damn good. I think there are a couple locations in NY as well.

Reaction Score
It depends on whether you prefer the smashed-style, griddle cooked burger, or the thicker pub-style burger. I prefer the former.

This. Most of the time I'd rather have shake shack or a $3 Astro burger in LA than a Black Label burger from Minetta Tavern. It's just a matter of preference.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Been trying desperately to get there on my last few VT trips but they're not open for lunch and the timing hasn't worked out. I have heard the raves though.

I had lunch there. Who said that they aren't open? Worthy Kitchen isn't open for lunch except Saturdays.

Reaction Score
1.shake shack (sound proportions bun to patty, elite shakes)
2. Burger fi ( super customizable, little pricey but a cool place.)

Waybacks and mooyo and even 5 guys are way below those IMO . ill also throw out there I perfer plan b to max burger or any other burger offering bar in Hartford area.

Reaction Score
I know it's not a chain and I've only been there once. But I really liked the Cuban burger I had at Artisanal Burger Company in Manchester. They have a nice bar area too. The only problem with the place was that UConn lost to Tulsa the night I went. So I can never watch a game there again and the burger would have tasted even better with a win.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I know it's not a chain and I've only been there once. But I really liked the Cuban burger I had at Artisanal Burger Company in Manchester. They have a nice bar area too. The only problem with the place was that UConn lost to Tulsa the night I went. So I can never watch a game there again and the burger would have tasted even better with a win.

If we're talking standalone places in the Manchester area, Corey's Catsup and Mustard on Main Street is definitely worth checking out. Best pretzel bun I've ever had.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Very good burger.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's good - not sure how far I'd go out of my way for it, but it's good.

They fry the French fries in beef tallow which is kinda great.

The beer is the extra incentive...and those are the beers you like (pine cone covered in grapefruit bits...or whatever).

August_West

Reaction Score
If we're talking standalone places in the Manchester area, Corey's Catsup and Mustard on Main Street is definitely worth checking out. Best pretzel bun I've ever had.

Someone offered me a gig there once as a fill in with a band playing there. I denied the gig offer solely based on the name of the place.

100% True story. You guys think Im kidding about Ketchup.

Reaction Score
Someone offered me a gig there once as a fill in with a band playing there. I denied the gig offer solely based on the name of the place.

I thought you meant the name Corey. My disdain for the name Corey rivals your disdain for ketchup.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Booooo. I had an outstanding meal there that did not feature one drop of ketchup.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You are an idiot and your band mates should consider replacing you with someone who can handle various condiments without suffering a mental breakdown.

Reaction Score
You are an idiot and your band mates should consider replacing you with someone who can handle various condiments without suffering a mental breakdown.

This is a proud music tradition. Remember the old anti-apartheid anthem from the 80s about not playing in South Africa? This is the same sort of principled stand against the serious issues of our times.

August_West

Reaction Score

1) Wasnt my band. Was offered fill in work with another band which I sometimes take if the money is right
2) Would never book my band in a place like that anyway and not just because of name. But because that is more a small place for bands that are still building draws and pay accordingly. Im old, fat, have a fairly decent draw (as a few yarders who met up at a recent gig I had can probably attest) for a local band, and I'm in it for the $$.................. well I like it too, but lets just say my wife only lets me out of the house for the $$)
3) The name actually does make me a little apoplectic. I'll admit it. So yeah mental breakdown is a factor.

Im sure (and Ive heard) that the food is good. Im playing right down the street from there this Saturday and like every other time I pass by, I will be closing my eyes on Main ST as to not upset my flow before my gig.

Reaction Score
The Buckland Hills mall area is all of a sudden over-run with burger joints. A place called Artisinal Burger Company opened maybe a year ago. About 50 feet from it a Five Guys is being built. Burger Fi came in about 2 years ago. There is a Red Robin and a Friendly's. Those places both suck and I eat at them often because 6-8 year olds have no idea what good food should taste like. I would have to rate Burger Fi as the best among those choices.

Of all the places mentioned that I've had a burger I'd go with Plan B, though half the time I get sucked into eating the Mac and Cheese with pulled pork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom