OT: Best Gourmet Chain Burger | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Gourmet Chain Burger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like the burgers at the Rabbit Hole on Main st, Old Saybrook. They are hand formed and I get them plain. That is the only way to eat a tasty burger, very good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like the burgers at the Rabbit Hole on Main st, Old Saybrook. They are hand formed and I get them plain. That is the only way to eat a tasty burger, very good.
Very good burger.

Have you had a burger at the Dutch Tavern in New London? Also hand formed, but he uses one of those Tupperware burger shaper things to make them uniform. Great place, historical building, very good, basic burger. The proprietor, Peter, is also a great guy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Try BRGR BAR. I went to one in Portsmouth, NH on my way to seeing the amazing comeback sweep of UNH ice hockey by the UConn hockey team.
Best of 3 series Hockey East playoff this fri-sun @ XL vs UVM.

Food was good. Maine cows. Decent Maine/NH beer selection

I spent a week in Portsmouth for work a few years ago. Very good atmosphere up there. Food and beers were spot on all week.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, agreed on Artisinal Burger Company, only went once but I was far from impressed.

We went before the Tulsa game. Liked my burger fine. They usually have pretty good beer. But the Sea Hag was out. We went with the Super Session, but the waitress came back saying that the keg just kicked and would Sip O' Sunshine be OK? We assured her it would be fine.

I don't go often, I'd rather go to a pub. But I kinda like Burger Fi. With those coupons it's a pretty good deal.

Reaction Score
Plan B makes a great burger.

When I feeling slimy I sometimes go to White Castle. Only because I grew up on them and they have a distinct taste that ain't bad.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Plan B makes a great burger.

When I feeling slimy I sometimes go to White Castle. Only because I grew up on them and they have a distinct taste that ain't bad.
I like White Castle. I mean it ain't gourmet but a sackful of those little suckers are good company and pass the driving time on my frequent trips back from NYC ( I stop at the one on Bruckner Blvd in the Bronx. ) I eat them infrequently enough that it is a nice change of pace.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like White Castle. I mean it ain't gourmet but a sackful of those little suckers are good company and pass the driving time on my frequent trips back from NYC ( I stop at the one on Bruckner BLvd in the Bronx. ) I eat them infrequently enough that it is a nice change of pace.
Your car has a commode built into the driver's seat?

August_West

Reaction Score
Your car has a commode built into the driver's seat?

Nah. I have an iron constitution. I used to go to India all the time years ago for my previous job. Ive built up immunity. I can tolerate anything. Ive seen Indians brush their teeth and drink water out of the Ganges river 100 yards down stream from raw sewage being emptied into it. Its amazing how the human body adapts. Except Chipotle. Chipotle is like an instant enema. Will never eat there again. Chipotle could make those aforementioned Indians sick.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nah. I have an iron constitution. I used to go to India all the time years ago for my previous job. Ive built up immunity. I can tolerate anything.* Ive seen Indians brush their teeth and drink water out of the Ganges river 100 yards down stream from raw sewage being emptied into it. Its amazing how the human body adapts. Except Chipotle. Chipotle is like an instant enema. Will never eat there again. Chipotle could make those aforementioned Indians sick.
*Except ketchup or turkey.

August_West

Reaction Score
*Except ketchup or turkey.

You just made me realize that I eat Ketchup on those white castle burgers. Its fine because its part of the whole. I like the Ketchup, mustard, pickle, steamed onion alchemy in this case.

Reaction Score
You just made me realize that I eat Ketchup on those white castle burgers. Its fine because its part of the whole. I like the Ketchup, mustard, pickle, steamed onion alchemy in this case.
I can't recall ever eating a white castle burger without a dab of ketchup.

August_West

Reaction Score
I can't recall ever eating a white castle burger without a dab of ketchup.
Yeah, I mean I just go for the standard original fare. I just get 'em how they make 'em. Which for White castle means no cheese too (on their originals) . Im fine with the ketchup there it mixes well with mustard, pickle onion combo and they dont drown you with it.

Reaction Score
The truth comes out. Next he'll tell us he eats turkey flavored potato chips.

August_West

Reaction Score

I go to its sister (Jack Rabbits next door which shares the kitchen, same burgers) once a week. They are excellent. Glad its there because sitting in a local bar during work hours isnt a good look for me :)

August_West

Reaction Score
Very good burger.

Have you had a burger at the Dutch Tavern in New London? Also hand formed, but he uses one of those Tupperware burger shaper things to make them uniform. Great place, historical building, very good, basic burger. The proprietor, Peter, is also a great guy.

You ever been to the Ivoryton Tavern? People around here talk like its the best Burger in the state (and huge, and blah blah blah) . I had the worst 2 burgers in my life there. And the ones after it are not even close. I only gave it a second chance because I thought that maybe the first time something was wrong in the kitchen,but it was equally as bad the second time. The most disgusting tasting meat Ive ever come across in my life.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You ever been to the Ivoryton Tavern? People around here talk like its the best Burger in the state (and huge, and blah blah blah) . I had the worst 2 burgers in my life there. And the ones after it are not even close. I only gave it a second chance because I thought that maybe the first time something was wrong in the kitchen,but it was equally as bad the second time. The most disgusting tasting meat Ive ever come across in my life.
No, I've never been there. We like the Blue Hound in Ivoryton, but it's not a burger place. Haven't been there since they opened the taproom; loved it when it was BYOB.

August_West

Reaction Score
No, I've never been there. We like the Blue Hound in Ivoryton, but it's not a burger place. Haven't been there since they opened the taproom; loved it when it was BYOB.
Blue Hound is very good.

Reaction Score
Dan's Hamburgers in Austin...the gold standard for burgers.

Great call on Dan's.

Did you ever go to Hill-Berts?

A friend said it's gone downhill but it was my go-to burger spot when I was a student.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What about Hudson Hamburgers in Coeur D'Alene? How come no talks about them?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Best I have had...Worthy Burger, South Royalton, Vermont. Local grass fed beef grilled over a maple wood fire. They don't overcook them either (I'm looking at you 5 guys). But they also have Hill Farmstead on tap...ahhh...perfection.

It's good - not sure how far I'd go out of my way for it, but it's good.

They fry the French fries in beef tallow which is kinda great.

I can now co-sign this. Worthy Burger is very aptly named. Tremendous burger, great fries, awesome beers and exceptional service. Pickles and donuts were also top-notch. Will definitely be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom