OT: Best Gourmet Chain Burger | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Gourmet Chain Burger

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The beer is the extra incentive...and those are the beers you like (pine cone covered in grapefruit bits...or whatever).

I meant...don't like

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Farm Burger. Add in Hi-Wire's Bed of Nails Brown Ale and enjoy!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Wow...no way I thought this thread had more than 2 pages in it.

Reaction Score
In N Out is not "gourmet". It's just a slightly better fast food burger. 5 guys burgers aren't even grilled. Not as good as what you'd get at a Chilis even.

Best I have had...Worthy Burger, South Royalton, Vermont. Local grass fed beef grilled over a maple wood fire. They don't overcook them either (I'm looking at you 5 guys). But they also have Hill Farmstead on tap...ahhh...perfection.

I live 20 minutes from both Worthy Burger and Kitchen. Both outstanding. My favorite is the Worthy Bomb at Worthy Kitchen, Bun, Burger, Fried Chicken Patty, Burger Bun. You can literally watch hair grow on your chest as you eat it. Does not hurt to wash it down with a sip o sunshine or Hill Farmstead Susan

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I live 20 minutes from both Worthy Burger and Kitchen. Both outstanding. My favorite is the Worthy Bomb at Worthy Kitchen, Bun, Burger, Fried Chicken Patty, Burger Bun. You can literally watch hair grow on your chest as you eat it. Does not hurt to wash it down with a sip o sunshine or Hill Farmstead Susan

You kinda sound like the man to be honest. Kudos.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
The Buckland Hills mall area is all of a sudden over-run with burger joints. A place called Artisinal Burger Company opened maybe a year ago. About 50 feet from it a Five Guys is being built. Burger Fi came in about 2 years ago. There is a Red Robin and a Friendly's. Those places both suck and I eat at them often because 6-8 year olds have no idea what good food should taste like. I would have to rate Burger Fi as the best among those choices.

Of all the places mentioned that I've had a burger I'd go with Plan B, though half the time I get sucked into eating the Mac and Cheese with pulled pork.
Artisinal Burger Company sucks and a Smashburger just opened in the best buy Plaza.

Reaction Score
Yeah, agreed on Artisinal Burger Company, only went once but I was far from impressed.

Reaction Score
The Buckland Hills mall area is all of a sudden over-run with burger joints. A place called Artisinal Burger Company opened maybe a year ago. About 50 feet from it a Five Guys is being built. Burger Fi came in about 2 years ago. There is a Red Robin and a Friendly's. Those places both suck and I eat at them often because 6-8 year olds have no idea what good food should taste like. I would have to rate Burger Fi as the best among those choices.

Of all the places mentioned that I've had a burger I'd go with Plan B, though half the time I get sucked into eating the Mac and Cheese with pulled pork.
Red Robin disappointed me. I figured they'd be on the same level as Fudd's, but they weren't close. Fudd's can't be beat by any national chain.

Reaction Score
Never been to Max Burger but I did have a great burger at Max Downtown after the Georgetown game a few weeks ago. The only thing bad about it was that the driving conditions for my ride home turned from dangerous to barely passable while I was there...

Was it the weather or beverages with the burger?:oops:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Was it the weather or beverages with the burger?:oops:
The weather. In a fleeting moment of maturity, I decided not to have any booze after the game. Had a Flower Power beforehand and a Lil' Heaven inside, and that was it for me. Thank God, because it was really a brutal, white-knuckled ride in whiteout conditions all the way from Route 9 to my house. Even though the weather was relatively mild with no real accumulation in Hartford, while looking out the window of the restaurant I had that sinking feeling like I was in the eye of the storm en route from a great haul in the Flemish Cap.

August_West

Reaction Score
The weather. In a fleeting moment of maturity, I decided not to have any booze after the game. Had a Flower Power beforehand and a Lil' Heaven inside, and that was it for me. Thank God, because it was really a brutal, white-knuckled ride in whiteout conditions all the way from Route 9 to my house. Even though the weather was relatively mild with no real accumulation in Hartford, while looking out the window of the restaurant I had that sinking feeling like I was in the eye of the storm en route from a great haul in the Flemish Cap.

The CT equivalent of the Flemish cap is route 9 from just south of Middletown to route 80.

Reaction Score
Probably unfair because out of all these places the closest to their original location that I've ever been to was an In n Out in San Fran, but that definitely takes the cake for me.

Reaction Score
Do any of you guys actually like these chain places more than a good pub or restaurant burger? Maybe I'm just spoiled living in Chicago but I could name a bunch of places that are way better than any of these chains and the price is only a little bit more

Good god absolutely not. If anyone would choose these over real burger joint they need their head examined. The only time I'd eat at one of these is if I'm in some town out in the pucker brush and that's all they had.

Reaction Score
Shake Shack is fine, but really no better than Wendy's in terms of burgers. I'd take Wendy's over 5 Guys as well.
Had BareBurger for the first time last weekend and it was excellent.
Little Pub in Ridgefield, Wilton and Cos Cob has great burgers as well.
Plan B is solid.
I second the vote for Little Pub. Really good burgers. I like most of what I've had there.

I do not get the In & Out craze. I flew out west for work many years ago. A friend I was also visiting picked me up at SFO and immediately took me to In & Out raving about it the whole way there. OK. I was game. It was mid-afternoon, so my friend tells me how lucky we are that there are no lines around the block. Expectations are way high now. The burger was fine. I just didn't see the huge difference with most chains. It was less greasy.

5 Guys is another I don't get. The burger is good, but just too greasy for me. I like a "juicy" burger, but greasy is not the same thing.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Yeah, agreed on Artisinal Burger Company, only went once but I was far from impressed.

I tried a waffle burger there and was very disappointed. When it comes to burgers, a basic approach just works better. They aren't really in a gourmet restaurant's domain. I could eat at Whataburger every day for the rest of my life and never get tired of it.

Reaction Score
Red Robin disappointed me. I figured they'd be on the same level as Fudd's, but they weren't close. Fudd's can't be beat by any national chain.
Funny you are the only one mentioning fuddruckers so far. Parents used to take us there when I was a kid growing up in jersey. Never saw one when I lived in CT. Do they go up that far north?

Last time I had it, I was visiting in naperville, IL...must be almost 10 years ago. Still think they're my favorite with 5 guys. Out here in denver smash burger is all over, but I haven't tried it yet

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Funny you are the only one mentioning fuddruckers so far. Parents used to take us there when I was a kid growing up in jersey. Never saw one when I lived in CT. Do they go up that far north?

Last time I had it, I was visiting in naperville, IL...must be almost 10 years ago. Still think they're my favorite with 5 guys. Out here in denver smash burger is all over, but I haven't tried it yet

They've opened one up in Foxwoods.

Reaction Score
Try BRGR BAR. I went to one in Portsmouth, NH on my way to seeing the amazing comeback sweep of UNH ice hockey by the UConn hockey team.
Best of 3 series Hockey East playoff this fri-sun @ XL vs UVM.

Food was good. Maine cows. Decent Maine/NH beer selection

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Sorry - not a burger joint but.....
Took a friend to the Buffalo Wings in Waterbury who lives in that area and suffered a horrible setback last year that caused his eyesight to become to the point of being legally blind. He's a UConn alum and a longtime fan - we have been attending games since 1972.
He needs to watch on the largest sets possible.
That place is a PIT.
I know what can you expect from Waterbury

August_West

Reaction Score
Sorry - not a burger joint but.....
Took a friend to the Buffalo Wings in Waterbury who lives in that area and suffered a horrible setback last year that caused his eyesight to become to the point of being legally blind. He's a UConn alum and a longtime fan - we have been attending games since 1972.
He needs to watch on the largest sets possible.
That place is a PIT.
I know what can you expect from Waterbury
It's not just Waterbury . Buffalo Wild Wings is just overall horrible. Horrible to the point I won't even redeem free wing ticket stubs.

Reaction Score
Where does Randy get his burgers???? ie, when he doesn't grill them himself at Mr Leahy's trailer.

Reaction Score
Just had Smashburger for the first time. Not bad, tasty, but nothing exceptional. About on par with 5Guys and Mooyah and a step below from PlanB and MaxBurger. I shoulda gone to Shady Glen instead.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Far and away, BareBurger does it for me.
Just tried this place on your recommendation. Elk burger with country bacon, aged cheddar, dill pickles, pickled jalapenos & special sauce.

Absolutely delicious. 4x what I'd pay for an In-n-Out burger when I'm home in California, but still simply outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom