OSU President Gee's comments about UL... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OSU President Gee's comments about UL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow - foreign students NOT taking over our beauty academies? You really are taking this whole not getting into the ACC hard. My advice is don't wait, grab the creamed corn and the bottled water and ride it out in the bunker in your father in law's back yard. The rest of us non- will let you know when it's ok to come out...

My advice to you: shut up.

Reaction Score
My advice to you: take your own advice.

That, and stop being a baby...

Criticism of podunkville = being a baby.

And clearly, you don't know much about Jim Calhoun's infamous barbs,.

Reaction Score
That may have been the case 10-15 years ago but Louisville has made great strides over the last decade in improving the quality of its academics. We only recently just became ranked in the US News & World Report best schools list or whatever and moved up 15 spots since last year. I'd also like to point out our endowment is over two and a half times larger than UConn's despite having almost 10k fewer students and not being the flagship school in its state, and while that alone isn't not indicative of the quality of education it certainly indicates the level of commitment.

I'm not saying UConn isn't a good school but it's extremely ignorant to call Louisville a "glorified community college" or a "semi pro sports team".

perception is reality. on this board, louisville is a glorified commuter school.

Reaction Score
Can you argue with them? If UConn had been added to the ACC then FSU and Clemson would've most certainly left, at which point the floodgates would've opened, which probably would've resulted in the Big East and ACC leftovers merging, which would mean UConn wouldn't really have been any better off than they are now. The southern schools made it clear they didn't want another northern school to appease the academic junkies. And since Louisville was added the ACC has signed a GoR and increased its TV payout, so I don't think the "NC cartel" regrets it nearly as much as you guys would like to think.

Adding Louisville stabilized the ACC for the time being which made everyone happy. Would UConn have done the same thing, or just the opposite?

ugh... are you really making this argument loosely based on blog logic and WV insider information?

Reaction Score
Thanks, very interesting quotes. I guess at least we can say that we don't have any strong enemies in the B1G (that I'm aware of)... unlike Cinci. Doesn't mean they love us, but... better than being blackballed.

You're welcome. I am not aware of UConn having any enemies in the B1G. I think it really is more an issue of lack of advocates. There is certainly an arrogance in his statements and it reflects that on the B1G leadership as a whole. However, his honesty also points the way to the B1G for UConn: AAU membership, research, academics, population, athletic success, etc. If UConn wants in the B1G, then it will need to be its own advocate through making itself successful in the areas that matter to the B1G and doing what it can to make the B1G take notice and show how the addition of UConn is beneficial to the B1G.

Reaction Score
Criticism of podunkville = being a baby.

And clearly, you don't know much about Jim Calhoun's infamous barbs,.

And you live where exactly?

And you're right - given that I'm not a UConn supporter or alum - I've never felt the need to hang on Jim Calhoun quotes or, be bothered by them. It does seem that at one point or another in his career he had unpleasant things to say on a lot of topics which, tends to water down specific "barbs".

Reaction Score
ugh... are you really making this argument loosely based on blog logic and WV insider information?
How would it have played out then, Nostradamus? FSU and Clemson (and Georgia Tech to a lesser degree) were all clearly opposed to adding UConn. That much is known. They were so opposed to it, in fact, they threatened to cut and run if UConn was added, which was the only leverage they had over the Tobacco Road schools.

You guys want to pump academics as if they actually mean something in the grand scheme of realignment, but honestly how many schools have been added to power 5 conferences in the last 2 years solely because of their USNWR ranking? Today it's about TV market and athletics. WVU, Utah, TCU, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Nebraska, Colorado, Rutgers, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Maryland are all either located in areas with large populations (or they're the flagship program in their state) or they have great athletics, or both. The southern ACC schools didn't want another Boston College added to the league just so the ACC could brag about how awesome it is to have another great northeastern school that sucks in football, can you really disagree with them?

Reaction Score
How would it have played out then, Nostradamus? FSU and Clemson (and Georgia Tech to a lesser degree) were all clearly opposed to adding UConn. That much is known. They were so opposed to it, in fact, they threatened to cut and run if UConn was added, which was the only leverage they had over the Tobacco Road schools.

You guys want to pump academics as if they actually mean something in the grand scheme of realignment, but honestly how many schools have been added to power 5 conferences in the last 2 years solely because of their USNWR ranking? Today it's about TV market and athletics. WVU, Utah, TCU, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse, Nebraska, Colorado, Rutgers, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Maryland are all either located in areas with large populations (or they're the flagship program in their state) or they have great athletics, or both. The southern ACC schools didn't want another Boston College added to the league just so the ACC could brag about how awesome it is to have another great northeastern school that sucks in football, can you really disagree with them?

tv markets and athletics huh?
on which of those factors does uofl rank ahead of uconn?

i agree that being a southern school helped.

the biggest factor was perception. the same way louisville is viewed as a glorified commuter school, it's also viewed to have more football tradition than uconn.
Perception is reality. that and being a southern school were the factors.

Reaction Score
Clearly, UConn belongs on the top tier of College athletics. We've earned that place. I'm not going to be one to say Louisville doesn't (but academics? I guess there are a few Louisville's in the 65).

I am more pissed that some great group of gods drew a line excluding deserved Programs/Universities. And, that subset includes the Wake's & Baylor's ... But excludes an entire region of the country (cause I simply don't see BC as representative). For us to get $2m and the b1G $40m+ seems crazy. I am not going to be one to piss on ECU or Memphis; particularly for academics. This Sportsworld needs a way to be inclusive. If UCF or USF emerges as a dominant Florida force ... There should be entree. Same with San Diego State. The economic constraints have tightened & make every thing more challenging. That sucks.

Reaction Score
tv markets and athletics huh?
on which of those factors does uofl rank ahead of uconn?

i agree that being a southern school helped.

the biggest factor was perception. the same way louisville is viewed as a glorified commuter school, it's also viewed to have more football tradition than uconn.
Perception is reality. that and being a southern school were the factors.
Oh I dunno winning two BCS bowls in the last 6 years and a national title in basketball helps, not to mention averaging 50k for football with a God awful home schedule and 22k in a brand spankin new basketball arena that puts Gampel to shame. Want to compare AD budget/revenue? How about facilities? Big East championships since 2005? I'll let you choose.

As for football tradition, it's not really comparable. You guys were Division II 14 years ago. You've never had a double digit winning season since moving up. Your bowl record is 3-2. No BCS bowl wins. And a coach that cut and run for Maryland of all places. Louisville doesn't have a whole lot of tradition in football, but we've got a whole hell of a lot more than UConn.

You guys like to claim you have a share of the NYC market because it's "only" two hours away but don't kid yourselves. There are about 50 schools located within the same distance, do they get to claim NYC too? Is it divided up equally? How many people in NYC do you think will watch UConn battle Tulsa on a Tuesday night come 2014? Being located near a large TV market and delivering said TV market are two different things. If UConn delivered NYC you'd be in the Big 10 instead of Rutgers. Needless to say, you weren't.

So congrats on being a better school. I'm sure your future conference members will be amazed.

Reaction Score
And you live where exactly?

And you're right - given that I'm not a UConn supporter or alum - I've never felt the need to hang on Jim Calhoun quotes or, be bothered by them. It does seem that at one point or another in his career he had unpleasant things to say on a lot of topics which, tends to water down specific "barbs".

UConn's TV market destroys Louisville. UConn is better than Louisville at basketball. UConn is also 4-4 in the BE against Ville in football. The difference between the schools is you fired Kragthorpe while out Kragthorpe hasn't been fired yet. Hopefully, UConn will do it in 3 instead of the 4 it took Louisville. Trust me, no advertiser is salivating at the mouth to beam sports into toothless country. Conn., at least, has a very rich market.

Reaction Score
Oh I dunno winning two BCS bowls in the last 6 years and a national title in basketball helps, not to mention averaging 50k for football with a God awful home schedule and 22k in a brand spankin new basketball arena that puts Gampel to shame. Want to compare AD budget/revenue? How about facilities? Big East championships since 2005? I'll let you choose.

As for football tradition, it's not really comparable. You guys were Division II 14 years ago. You've never had a double digit winning season since moving up. Your bowl record is 3-2. No BCS bowl wins. And a coach that cut and run for Maryland of all places. Louisville doesn't have a whole lot of tradition in football, but we've got a whole hell of a lot more than UConn.

You guys like to claim you have a share of the NYC market because it's "only" two hours away but don't kid yourselves. There are about 50 schools located within the same distance, do they get to claim NYC too? Is it divided up equally? How many people in NYC do you think will watch UConn battle Tulsa on a Tuesday night come 2014? Being located near a large TV market and delivering said TV market are two different things. If UConn delivered NYC you'd be in the Big 10 instead of Rutgers. Needless to say, you weren't.

So congrats on being a better school. I'm sure your future conference members will be amazed.

Let's compare:

UConn has the best football facilities not only in the BE, but some of the top in the entire country.
They are building the best basketball facilities right now.
UConn has 3 national basketball titles in the last 2 decades, Ville has one.
Your AD budget and revenue is awash in bogus statistics, as I proved in the other Ville thread when another know-nothing Ville fan came up and said Ville has lead the BE since inception. I showed that as of even 3 years ago, this wasn't true.
And no, UConn wasn't div. II. I doubt you even know the football divisions.
Your coaches have cut and run in the past, and you know it.
The big TV market is Connecticut. Not NYC. Get a clue.

Reaction Score
UConn's TV market destroys Louisville. UConn is better than Louisville at basketball. UConn is also 4-4 in the BE against Ville in football. The difference between the schools is you fired Kragthorpe while out Kragthorpe hasn't been fired yet. Hopefully, UConn will do it in 3 instead of the 4 it took Louisville. Trust me, no advertiser is salivating at the mouth to beam sports into toothless country. Conn., at least, has a very rich market.
UConn better than Louisville in basketball? Think again. The coach that literally made your program is gone forever. Ollie won't accomplish what Calhoun did, don't fool yourself.

The difference between our programs IS Kragthorpe. Had Petrino stayed or if Strong had been hired in 2007 you guys wouldn't even be in the same galaxy as us football wise. He completely nuked our team and Strong finally turned it around. The ACC saw how much potential we have compared to you guys and realized it would be stupid for them to take UConn.

If UConn was HALF the program your guys think it is you wouldn't be in the AAC for the foreseeable future. We can argue everything, but you can't argue with that.

Reaction Score
Let's compare:

UConn has the best football facilities not only in the BE, but some of the top in the entire country.
They are building the best basketball facilities right now.
UConn has 3 national basketball titles in the last 2 decades, Ville has one.
Your AD budget and revenue is awash in bogus statistics, as I proved in the other Ville thread when another know-nothing Ville fan came up and said Ville has lead the BE since inception. I showed that as of even 3 years ago, this wasn't true.
And no, UConn wasn't div. II. I doubt you even know the football divisions.
Your coaches have cut and run in the past, and you know it.
The big TV market is Connecticut. Not NYC. Get a clue.
UConn has the best football facilities in the country? That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. 55k seats with chair backs >>>> 40k bleachers
We HAVE the best basketball facilities right now.
What did you guys accomplish before 1999?
Keep telling yourself that.
Division 1-AA. Big difference.
Strong turned down Tennessee. Edsall took the first train to Maryland. See the difference?
Congrats. It's such an impressive TV market that it was passed over for a city in Kentucky. What does that say about you guys?

Reaction Score
Perhaps you Cardfan lacks knowledge.

As much as many can say they are near (within 2 hours), we all know that Fairfield Cty Connecticut is a crucial part of Metro NYC. Powerful people and great wealth which makes the City (and the country) go are part of us. That's not an insignificant fact. It's one we bring ... and one that is hard to truly capture. We're not in Central NY.

Reaction Score
UConn has the best football facilities in the country? That's the funniest thing I've heard all day. 55k seats with chair backs >>>> 40k bleachers
We HAVE the best basketball facilities right now.
What did you guys accomplish before 1999?
Keep telling yourself that.
Division 1-AA. Big difference.
Strong turned down Tennessee. Edsall took the first train to Maryland. See the difference?
Congrats. It's such an impressive TV market that it was passed over for a city in Kentucky. What does that say about you guys?

Wow, reading comprehension is pretty bad, eh? I wrote best in the BE and some of the best in the country. I'm talking about training facilities. I thought that's what you were referring to.

What did we accomplish before the prehistoric era? Just some F8s and stuff.

I saw Johnny-boy smith left for Michigan St--which has even less talent than Maryland.

Our market wasn't passed over. Our football was. Your market is tiny and insignificant and the ACC continues to make awful decisions in adding teams. From BC to Louisville--nothing but bad decisions. It took a school in the tundra of CNY over hotly populated mega markets in the mid-atlantic. Stupidity. The B1g at least recognizes value.

Reaction Score
UConn better than Louisville in basketball? Think again. The coach that literally made your program is gone forever. Ollie won't accomplish what Calhoun did, don't fool yourself.

The difference between our programs IS Kragthorpe. Had Petrino stayed or if Strong had been hired in 2007 you guys wouldn't even be in the same galaxy as us football wise. He completely nuked our team and Strong finally turned it around. The ACC saw how much potential we have compared to you guys and realized it would be stupid for them to take UConn.

If UConn was HALF the program your guys think it is you wouldn't be in the AAC for the foreseeable future. We can argue everything, but you can't argue with that.

Of course UConn is better in basketball. No doubt about that. and Pitino is not long for spaghetti restaurant tables or Ville bball. We replaced a legend with a guy who is on his way to becoming a legend--already grabbed a top 5 recruit in his first year.

Reaction Score
Of course UConn is better in basketball. No doubt about that. and Pitino is not long for spaghetti restaurant tables or Ville bball. We replaced a legend with a guy who is on his way to becoming a legend--already grabbed a top 5 recruit in his first year.

Go easy on the looville boy
Its hard for him to conceive that state residents outside of Storrs can actually be UConn fans.
Ky my second home for 30 years is dominated by UK.
I knew 1 Cardinal fan. Actually a pretty good guy. Every man women and child bleed blue.
This is in Christain County pretty far from either school.

LOOVILLE fans outside of Louisville are as scarce as last names in Eastern Ky

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Getting a top 5 recruit =/= becoming a legend. Bit of a stretch there.

UConn basketball will slowly fade to irrelevancy after a decade in the AAC. Your attendance was already underwhelming when a big name didn't come to town. Hell your arena only looked about 70% full on TV when #1 Louisville smeared the court with the Huskies last January. How many of your fans do you think will actually pay to watch teams like Tulsa and UCF and Tulane and ECU instead? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Reaction Score
Getting a top 5 recruit =/= becoming a legend. Bit of a stretch there.

UConn basketball will slowly fade to irrelevancy after a decade in the AAC. Your attendance was already underwhelming when a big name didn't come to town. Hell your arena only looked about 70% full on TV when #1 Louisville smeared the court with the Huskies last January. How many of your fans do you think will actually pay to watch teams like Tulsa and UCF and Tulane and ECU instead? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

More reading comprehension problems for you. "...on his way..."

Ollie is a star. As for UConn fading into irrelevancy, it's interesting that you spend time over here with the irrelevant. Your life must suck.

Reaction Score

I like Ollie but, wow "on his way to becoming a legend"? That seems pretty hyperbolic after one year and one top 5 recruit - wouldn't you say? And, "of course UConn is better in basketball" - really? Knowing how fond you are of your own subjective opinion - can you let me in on what led you to that "obvious" conclusion? As I've said before, I have always enjoyed UConn basketball and actually have pulled for them to win a lot (when they aren't playing UofL) including all 3 NCAA titles. That said, a quick comparison of the two programs since UofL joined the BE goes like this.

NCAA appearances - UofL - 7 UConn - 6
NCAA Titles - UofL - 1 UConn - 1
BE Regular Season Titles - UofL - 3 UConn - 1
BE Tournament Titles - UofL - 3 UConn - 1
Overall Records - UofL - 213 - 76 UConn - 192 - 81
Head to Head record - UofL - 8 UConn - 5
Average Attendance - UofL - 21,703 UConn - 12,640
Revenue - well, I'm not going to elevate your blood pressure by opening that can of worms again...
Final Fours and Elite Eights are even at 1 & 2 respectively.

So, your rationale for saying UConn is better, was what again?

Reaction Score
Go easy on the looville boy
Its hard for him to conceive that state residents outside of Storrs can actually be UConn fans.
Ky my second home for 30 years is dominated by UK.
I knew 1 Cardinal fan. Actually a pretty good guy. Every man women and child bleed blue.
This is in Christain County pretty far from either school.

LOOVILLE fans outside of Louisville are as scarce as last names in Eastern Ky

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

What exactly is your point here? That uk (arguably the most storied and successful college basketball program in history) has a majority of the support in Kentucky? Wow, you can put that right up there with "bear sh1ts in the woods". It makes sense that UConn has support throughout the state - who else are Conn. residents going to support for basketball and football - the University of Harford?

Reaction Score
I like Ollie but, wow "on his way to becoming a legend"? That seems pretty hyperbolic after one year and one top 5 recruit - wouldn't you say? And, "of course UConn is better in basketball" - really? Knowing how fond you are of your own subjective opinion - can you let me in on what led you to that "obvious" conclusion? As I've said before, I have always enjoyed UConn basketball and actually have pulled for them to win a lot (when they aren't playing UofL) including all 3 NCAA titles. That said, a quick comparison of the two programs since UofL joined the BE goes like this.

NCAA appearances - UofL - 7 UConn - 6
NCAA Titles - UofL - 1 UConn - 1
BE Regular Season Titles - UofL - 3 UConn - 1
BE Tournament Titles - UofL - 3 UConn - 1
Overall Records - UofL - 213 - 76 UConn - 192 - 81
Head to Head record - UofL - 8 UConn - 5
Average Attendance - UofL - 21,703 UConn - 12,640
Revenue - well, I'm not going to elevate your blood pressure by opening that can of worms again...
Final Fours and Elite Eights are even at 1 & 2 respectively.

So, your rationale for saying UConn is better, was what again?

Starting a comparison the year after UConn won a national title is more or less what anyone can expect from you.

I really don't give a damn that Ville had a cup of tea in the BE. UConn wins championships. That sums it up.

You'll find out about Ollie soon enough. There is no one like him out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom