OSU President Gee's comments about UL... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OSU President Gee's comments about UL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First of all I never went to Louisville. And your entire post reeks of sour grapes. You guys can be mad all you want that UConn got left behind but what does it say when you get picked over for such a "terrible" institution as Louisville? Keep in mind the ACC was unanimous when they added Louisville, while only one or two schools initially were lobbying for UConn.

It shocks me UL fans are even over here trying to defend this. The school is not academically strong. It's a reality. Louisville is currently strong athletically and for that and only that they were given a lifeline to the ACC. The fact remains the ACC compromised its academic standing by inviting Louisville. It's not rocket science; it's not sour grapes. All this is is comparing the acadmic value of Louisville to other schools and a loudmouth President taking a jab at the decision the ACC made.

I am mad UConn is left behind. I am also mad that whatever metric we are best at when the time for realignment occurrs is seemingly thrown out due to circumstance.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First of all I never went to Louisville. And your entire post reeks of sour grapes. You guys can be mad all you want that UConn got left behind but what does it say when you get picked over for such a "terrible" institution as Louisville? Keep in mind the ACC was unanimous when they added Louisville, while only one or two schools initially were lobbying for UConn.

It says that the football standings in mid-November meant a hell of a lot more than academics did.

It is what it is.

So...you're a Louisville townie? Morehead State or community college?

Reaction Score
Sense of humor? He's a windbag administrator who wears a godd*mn bowtie and is widely viewed with contempt by anyone living in the real world.

he is the epitome of waht is wrong with academia and college sports

Look around man, bow ties are in! This dude was simply ahead of the curve!

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Bowties, like seersucker suits, can only be worn by lawyers south of the Mason-Dixon line. There is a small bowtie exception for New England academics/pinheads.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
That may have been the case 10-15 years ago but Louisville has made great strides over the last decade in improving the quality of its academics. We only recently just became ranked in the US News & World Report best schools list or whatever and moved up 15 spots since last year. I'd also like to point out our endowment is over two and a half times larger than UConn's despite having almost 10k fewer students and not being the flagship school in its state, and while that alone isn't not indicative of the quality of education it certainly indicates the level of commitment.

I'm not saying UConn isn't a good school but it's extremely ignorant to call Louisville a "glorified community college" or a "semi pro sports team".
Just for the record as a public institution, endowment is much less important since we have funded the remake of UConn from taxpayers dollars!

Reaction Score
Just for the record as a public institution, endowment is much less important since we have funded the remake of UConn from taxpayers dollars!

Pretty soon, none of this will matter. Primary, secondary and higher education is being gutted. America is being hollowed out. Wait until the foreigners get wind of the systematic dismantling of education in America. Then you're going to see the real bottom fall out--since these foreign students are subsidized by their gov'ts. It's coming. Almost assuredly, your children will not have a chance at anywhere near the education you received. UConn will be lucky not to look like Louisville 10 years ago while Louisville will look like the Wilfrid Beauty Academy.

Reaction Score
Anybody tied to big-time college athletics who puts academics out there as a critical issue is full of *, it's simply a matter of to what degree. If you put 60,000 fans in your stadium and occaisionally have a kid who might be a Hiesman candidate that translates into potential TV ratings and your a desired commodity. Does OSU's President want to talk about Nebraska as an academic shining light? When Father Leahy said that BC's move to the ACC was primarily driven by academics I just about duck*ing puked.

CR has screamed from the highest hilltop the college athletics is driven by one factor and one factor only...........

Reaction Score
Gee's comments overall were disgraceful, bigoted and generally inappropriate for a high school kid, never mind a President of a major university. Having said that, he was right on in his characterization of Louisville. As they say in Kentucky, if you can't go to college go to Louisville. If you haven't got the knowledge go to Louisville.
If you fail your SAT's don't take it hard. If you flunk the ACT become a Card. If you can't go to college 'cause you really lack the knowledge, go to Louisville.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The day wvu went to the b12 Lville fans became famous for there Internet antics all over several fan boards. The wvu cr board was a mess already but the Lville fans creeping and crawling all over it is what made it untra famous. It's more than funny they are trying to rag on some upset uconn fans on a uconn board. It's our board, were mad. Your school is not anywhere close to caliber in the classroom and your athletics are on the rise but had a real bump the past year which is flash pan material. It's not like our basketball is d2 compared to yours and its not like your great football year didn't have a loss at home to uconn. Get real. You got a invite and we didn't but don't act like your Michigan and were Detroit cc.

Reaction Score

Perhaps this is a Cesspool comment but duck it. How'd it work out for Tucker Carlson?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Are some of you daisies really hung up on the man's bowtie?

Reaction Score
Bowties, like seersucker suits, can only be worn by lawyers south of the Mason-Dixon line. There is a small bowtie exception for New England academics/pinheads.

... and bunnies.

bow tie.jpg

Reaction Score
I miss the Conference Realignment Board and the trolls that made it fun. My aliases would make so many crazy posts...

Reaction Score
i was at a graduation at one of the NESCAC schools this weekend and was introduced to a professor who was wearing a bowtie. the person who introduced me noticed it and told the story that when this guy first arrived he showed up with a bow tie. One of the old cranks who had been on the faculty since the place was founded in the early 1800s came up to him and said, "Welcome to campus, but lose the bowtie. that is my trademark." Apparetnly he has been waiting for the older prof to go on sabbatical so he can return to wearing bow ties...Not sure what happens in September!

Reaction Score
Love him or hate him ... Agree with him or Disagree with him ... Gordon Gee is always good for interesting quotes and provides at least some insight into the thinking of the leadership in the B1G.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...t-ii-dissing-cincinnati-bret-bielema-and-more

http://college-football.si.com/2013/05/31/ohio-state-gordon-gee-controversial-comments/

Gordon Gee audio

6:05: “The blocking strategy is that we simply have now put the ACC in an almost no-win position. So who do they immediately go to? Louisville. They may think about Cincinnati. They may think about Connecticut. But they’ve lost their foothold in that middle part of the area, in that middle part of the Atlantic coast.”

9:14: "I think the Big Ten needs to be predatory and positive rather than waiting for other people to take away from them. Very candidly, I think we made a mistake. Because thought about adding Missouri and Kansas at the time. There was not a great deal of enthusiasm about that. I think we should have done that at the time. So we would have had Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas and then moved into that other area. I think, by the way, that that can still happen."

11:03: "You know Penn State just abhors Pitt. It would be the same way. Even though we love Cincinnati as a city, we want it to be an Ohio State city. They’d have to take Gene out and shoot him to let Cincinnati into the Big Ten. There are some things that we just would not to. And that’s the way that Penn State also feels about Pitt."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He was overly colorful in some of his phrasing and the Catholic stuff will be blown up, but he really wasn't wrong.

Notre Dame is not a good partner.
Penn State hates Pitt and Ohio State would never accept Cincy.
The Big Ten did vet Mizzou and Kansas.
The Big Ten did want to drive a wedge into the mid-Atlantic and perhaps head south.
The mid-Atlantic does benefit the Big Ten Network.
UL and UK are not Big Ten level schools academically.
And maybe, just maybe, the SEC has some academic issues.

Reaction Score
It says that the football standings in mid-November meant a hell of a lot more than academics did.

It is what it is.

So...you're a Louisville townie? Morehead State or community college?
Wrong and wrong.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
i was at a graduation at one of the NESCAC schools this weekend and was introduced to a professor who was wearing a bowtie. the person who introduced me noticed it and told the story that when this guy first arrived he showed up with a bow tie. One of the old cranks who had been on the faculty since the place was founded in the early 1800s came up to him and said, "Welcome to campus, but lose the bowtie. that is my trademark." Apparetnly he has been waiting for the older prof to go on sabbatical so he can return to wearing bow ties...Not sure what happens in September!
I've never met a bowtie wearer that wasn't self-conscious about it. I thought I read somewhere that Gee expensed over $60k to his employer(s) in making his bowtie collection. That aint right.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Love him or hate him ... Agree with him or Disagree with him ... Gordon Gee is always good for interesting quotes and provides at least some insight into the thinking of the leadership in the B1G...
Thanks, very interesting quotes. I guess at least we can say that we don't have any strong enemies in the B1G (that I'm aware of)... unlike Cinci. Doesn't mean they love us, but... better than being blackballed.

Reaction Score
Pretty soon, none of this will matter. Primary, secondary and higher education is being gutted. America is being hollowed out. Wait until the foreigners get wind of the systematic dismantling of education in America. Then you're going to see the real bottom fall out--since these foreign students are subsidized by their gov'ts. It's coming. Almost assuredly, your children will not have a chance at anywhere near the education you received. UConn will be lucky not to look like Louisville 10 years ago while Louisville will look like the Wilfrid Beauty Academy.

Wow - foreign students taking over our beauty academies? You really are taking this whole not getting into the ACC hard. My advice is don't wait, grab the creamed corn and the bottled water and ride it out in the bunker in your father in law's back yard. The rest of us non- will let you know when it's ok to come out...

Reaction Score
Wow - foreign students taking over our beauty academies? You really are taking this whole not getting into the ACC hard. My advice is don't wait, grab the creamed corn and the bottled water and ride it out in the bunker in your father in law's back yard. The rest of us non- will let you know when it's ok to come out...

Not surprisingly, your reading comprehension level is not very high. Since I wrote foreigners (who subsidize it all) will stop coming.

Reaction Score
Not surprisingly, your reading comprehension level is not very high. Since I wrote foreigners (who subsidize it all) will stop coming.

Wow - foreign students NOT taking over our beauty academies? You really are taking this whole not getting into the ACC hard. My advice is don't wait, grab the creamed corn and the bottled water and ride it out in the bunker in your father in law's back yard. The rest of us non- will let you know when it's ok to come out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom