OSU President Gee's comments about UL... | The Boneyard

OSU President Gee's comments about UL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Says the guy who added Rutgers and was making goo goo eyes at that stalwart of academic integrity, UNC.

The next you know, he'll be looking the other way as star players trade equipment for tattoos.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
says the guy who exemplified academic integrity overseeing Tressels reign. How did he put it?

Oh, right:

"Fire Jim Tressel? Heck, I'll be lucky if he doesn't fire me!"

Dolt.

pj

Reaction Score
says the guy who exemplified academic integrity overseeing Tressels reign. How did he put it?

Oh, right:

"Fire Jim Tressel? Heck, I'll be lucky if he doesn't fire me!"

Dolt.

He has a sense of humor and is honest. I like that. His joke about Tressel was one many other presidents would make in private. As for scholarly integrity in NCAA sports, UConn tried that and was punished for it.

Reaction Score
"The top goal of Big Ten presidents is to "make certain that we have institutions of like-minded academic integrity," Gee said. "So you won't see us adding Louisville," a member of the Big East conference that is also joining the ACC."

I really enjoyed that.

Anytime the ACC gets bad press for picking UL is a good thing.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9325510/gordon-gee-ohio-state-president-takes-shots-notre-dame-catholics[/quote]

Spoken just like a former President of West Virginia University would.

Reaction Score
The guy gut-shoots Louisville for being a joke academically and some of you f---sticks want to castigate him for it.

Go sit in a corner and think about what you've done.
It's remarkable.

Sure, Gee painted himself in a bit of a corner by using the word "integrity," but the bottom line is that he just ripped the school UConn got passed over for.

It does paint a crystal-clear picture of the enormous difference between the ACC and the B1G. One conference is desperate enough to take a borderline community college just to appease FSU, while the other is, well, clearly not that desperate.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I appreciate the shot at UL. But anyone with a bowtie fetish is not someone to have in your corner.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The guy gut-shoots Louisville for being a joke academically and some of you f---sticks want to castigate him for it.

Go sit in a corner and think about what you've done.
Afingmen

He just dumped on the acc and specifically UVA and UNC.

Reaction Score
I guess Gee forgot his football program has been on near constant probation for the last decade or so. If Gee wants to take cheap shots at other schools then he's more than qualified to do so, but he should know O$U is far from a paragon of academic integrity.

Reaction Score
It's remarkable.

Sure, Gee painted himself in a bit of a corner by using the word "integrity," but the bottom line is that he just ripped the school UConn got passed over for.

It does paint a crystal-clear picture of the enormous difference between the ACC and the B1G. One conference is desperate enough to take a borderline community college just to appease FSU, while the other is, well, clearly not that desperate.
Tell me, what makes UConn such a desirable expansion candidate? If everyone else saw half of what you guys see in your school you wouldn't be stuck in the AAC for the foreseeable future. Louisville is far from a "borderline community college" just like UConn is far from an Ivy League school.

Reaction Score
Louisvillve is basically a semi pro sports team. Not suggesting they pay kids, but they certainly don't stress academics.

They really fit better in SEC, I'm sure the ACC would trade Vandy for them, even if Vandy fball not great.

Reaction Score
Louisvillve is basically a semi pro sports team. Not suggesting they pay kids, but they certainly don't stress academics.

They really fit better in SEC, I'm sure the ACC would trade Vandy for them, even if Vandy fball not great.
That may have been the case 10-15 years ago but Louisville has made great strides over the last decade in improving the quality of its academics. We only recently just became ranked in the US News & World Report best schools list or whatever and moved up 15 spots since last year. I'd also like to point out our endowment is over two and a half times larger than UConn's despite having almost 10k fewer students and not being the flagship school in its state, and while that alone isn't not indicative of the quality of education it certainly indicates the level of commitment.

I'm not saying UConn isn't a good school but it's extremely ignorant to call Louisville a "glorified community college" or a "semi pro sports team".

Reaction Score
That may have been the case 10-15 years ago but Louisville has made great strides over the last decade in improving the quality of its academics. We only recently just became ranked in the US News & World Report best schools list or whatever and moved up 15 spots since last year. I'd also like to point out our endowment is over two and a half times larger than UConn's despite having almost 10k fewer students and not being the flagship school in its state, and while that alone isn't not indicative of the quality of education it certainly indicates the level of commitment.

I'm not saying UConn isn't a good school but it's extremely ignorant to call Louisville a "glorified community college" or a "semi pro sports team".

OSU president called it like it is. UL got into the ACC because FSU got a hissy fit against the NC cartel. Had UNC made the decision, UL won't be in the ACC today. That and UL is very good screwing over city of Louisville and cooking the athletic department book to make itself look good. The city, on the other hand, is going broke over the YUM center. Like they said, timing is everything and UL certainly got hot at the right time. Looking at the way Jurich spends for coaches and athletic infrastructures, UL is like a semi-pro franchise. Academically, I don't think it is UL's priority and UL academics isn't far from a community school level.

Reaction Score
I think you said it best, a community college level school (academics) with a semi pro sports program.

UConn fans didn't start this, a Ohio State dignitary did.

Reaction Score

When UL graduates their general student population @ 22% in 4 years, 50% in 6 you tend to get comments like that. The improvement is applaudable and I hope it continues and the perception enhanced.

Reaction Score
OSU president called it like it is. UL got into the ACC because FSU got a hissy fit against the NC cartel. Had UNC made the decision, UL won't be in the ACC today. That and UL is very good screwing over city of Louisville and cooking the athletic department book to make itself look good. The city, on the other hand, is going broke over the YUM center. Like they said, timing is everything and UL certainly got hot at the right time. Looking at the way Jurich spends for coaches and athletic infrastructures, UL is like a semi-pro franchise. Academically, I don't think it is UL's priority and UL academics isn't far from a community school level.

Can you argue with them? If UConn had been added to the ACC then FSU and Clemson would've most certainly left, at which point the floodgates would've opened, which probably would've resulted in the Big East and ACC leftovers merging, which would mean UConn wouldn't really have been any better off than they are now. The southern schools made it clear they didn't want another northern school to appease the academic junkies. And since Louisville was added the ACC has signed a GoR and increased its TV payout, so I don't think the "NC cartel" regrets it nearly as much as you guys would like to think.

Adding Louisville stabilized the ACC for the time being which made everyone happy. Would UConn have done the same thing, or just the opposite?

Reaction Score
Can you argue with them? If UConn had been added to the ACC then FSU and Clemson would've most certainly left, at which point the floodgates would've opened, which probably would've resulted in the Big East and ACC leftovers merging, which would mean UConn wouldn't really have been any better off than they are now. The southern schools made it clear they didn't want another northern school to appease the academic junkies. And since Louisville was added the ACC has signed a GoR and increased its TV payout, so I don't think the "NC cartel" regrets it nearly as much as you guys would like to think.

Adding Louisville stabilized the ACC for the time being which made everyone happy. Would UConn have done the same thing, or just the opposite?

sorry Cards fan - you, FSU and Clemson are high schools with ashtrays as we used to say but two of them have 80,000 seat-plus stadiums and UL seems well on their way to that. We look forward to our Friday night encounter this fall. It will be raining and we are training the dude who wears No. 24 to fake a fair catch signal.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Can you argue with them? If UConn had been added to the ACC then FSU and Clemson would've most certainly left, at which point the floodgates would've opened, which probably would've resulted in the Big East and ACC leftovers merging, which would mean UConn wouldn't really have been any better off than they are now.
Sorry but even if that scenario played out I'd rather be in that conference instead of where we are now. Thanks for stopping by and all....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Tell me, what makes UConn such a desirable expansion candidate? If everyone else saw half of what you guys see in your school you wouldn't be stuck in the AAC for the foreseeable future. Louisville is far from a "borderline community college" just like UConn is far from an Ivy League school.

Louisville is a marginal academic institution. It is what it is. But it serves a purpose - it educates a level of student that doesn't have a better alternative. I don't think you got a bad education necessarily - it's more like you probably got the best education that you were capable of receiving.

No shame in that. There's a place in the world for the Louisvilles and West Virginias.

(UConn isn't an Ivy, but lordy, we sure ain't Louisville either.)

Reaction Score
Sorry but even if that scenario played out I'd rather be in that conference instead of where we are now. Thanks for stopping by and all....

Sure you would and no one would blame you but, the rest of the Louisville bashing is nothing more than sour grapes. You can complain that it wasn't fair, that UConn was more deserving and, that we stole your spot. To what end? It's over and done with. UofL didn't sit back and complain for months on end when WVU beat us out to the Big 12 - they got work to make sure it didn't happen again and, ended up in a much better spot in the ACC.

If anything UConn should look at Louisville to see what they can emulate to secure a spot in the ACC or B1G in the next round of expansion. Truth be told, I don't know one Louisville fan that doesn't want UConn to get into the ACC - we enjoy the rivalry.

Reaction Score
Louisville is a marginal academic institution. It is what it is. But it serves a purpose - it educates a level of student that doesn't have a better alternative. I don't think you got a bad education necessarily - it's more like you probably got the best education that you were capable of receiving.

No shame in that. There's a place in the world for the Louisvilles and West Virginias.

(UConn isn't an Ivy, but lordy, we sure ain't Louisville either.)
First of all I never went to Louisville. And your entire post reeks of sour grapes. You guys can be mad all you want that UConn got left behind but what does it say when you get picked over for such a "terrible" institution as Louisville? Keep in mind the ACC was unanimous when they added Louisville, while only one or two schools initially were lobbying for UConn.

Reaction Score
He has a sense of humor and is honest. I like that. His joke about Tressel was one many other presidents would make in private. As for scholarly integrity in NCAA sports, UConn tried that and was punished for it.

Sense of humor? He's a windbag administrator who wears a godd*mn bowtie and is widely viewed with contempt by anyone living in the real world.

he is the epitome of waht is wrong with academia and college sports

Reaction Score
Keep in mind the ACC was unanimous when they added Louisville, while only one or two schools initially were lobbying for UConn.

Then your AD is a liar (UConn wasn't penciled in, they were penned in).

Reaction Score
Don't forget what the UNC chancellor said the day after Louisville was added, "This had nothing to do with academics."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom