Olympics- Simone Biles quits and Russians win gold | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Olympics- Simone Biles quits and Russians win gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
My post was in disagreement with the poster who said you weren't being critical. Thanks for confirming I was correct.

I'm still not clear. She did "quit." It literally means "leave." My initial assumption, based on the thread title (because, like you, I can read), was that SJ was using it pejoratively, but then I read his post and thought otherwise.

Him confirming that he said she quit, which she in fact did do, doesn't confirm he thinks she quit on her team. I don't know why he's being cryptic.

My point is that there's a difference between quitting something and quitting on something. This is from the article linked to above:

She didn’t quit on her team. She quit, she said, and saved the team.

Reaction Score
So it had to happen on the day of, it sounds like her teammates knew this was happening before the news breaks. Hopefully she gets the help she needs.

The 2 biggest names in these olympics are Biles and Ledecky other then NBA players not really familiar with the men’s athletes with no Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt.

Reaction Score
On the men’s side did anyone see the kid from ROC perform just 3&1/2 months after an Achilles injury?
Yep. It landed somewhere between incredibly brave and incredibly stupid leaning heavily towards the latter. Very irresponsible of the ROC to let/make him compete.

Reaction Score
For the record, I'm first in predicting someone will come out with a comment along the lines of she is just doing this for attention for her documentary being filmed right now and for more personal attention when she miraculously recovers for the individual medals.

Mind you I'm not saying this is true. I'm saying someone in the national or international media is going to run with this narrative.
I'm sure Clay Travis is already on it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I suppose "quits" is pejorative but the post itself wasn't critical.
That word "quits" is the root of the post. The root grew the indictment.

Reaction Score
@mustafa to military vets suffering with PTSD: "That war stuff is old history. Devestating and terrible, YES. But not recent. :rolleyes:"
I'm just saying that the Nasser stuff was there the whole time.
Cant believe that it is the reason for her quitting at this very moment.
There were other reasons.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
On the men’s side did anyone see the kid from ROC perform just 3&1/2 months after an Achilles injury?
It was that or on a line scaling fish in Nosovaya.

Reaction Score
Gymnastics is a very individual sport. Even "team" gymnastics is this way, especially at the elite level. Regardless of what "team" you're on, it's really you and the apparatus. (college gymnastic teams have a lot more camaraderie)

I like seeing what Biles can do and am disappointed in her withdrawing. But at the end of the day, for an individuals' sport like this one, I subscribe to the wisdom of the great sage Ivan Drago:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He called her a quitter in the heading.
For the sake of accuracy, he said that she'd quit, and I don't even know whether it referred to a specific event or the entire Olympics competition. That doesn't necessarily make her a quitter, which is more of a broad label.

From my reading, this thread has included a number of communications that missed their mark or were misperceived. I think it's in the nature of trauma, mental health, emotional well-being, stress, and such.

In addition to some pessimistic predictions being fulfilled, there has been sarcasm from people who have otherwise seemed genuinely caring.

Some who have seemingly disagreed, have Liked in common another person's post that offered a more nuanced take. And some have even Liked what in other threads has erupted into bickering. Overall, there's been less rancor and hardening of positions than usual. I agree w/@Ricker that for the most part the Boneyard has risen to the challenge in our "not bad overall for a bunch of guys" way.

The thread touches on messy matters that rarely lay out neatly. And uncomfortable emotions often lend themselves to imprecise communication. Sometimes it's not such a bad thing to stay with the discomfort and seemingly contradictory & unsettled feelings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm still not clear. She did "quit." It literally means "leave." My initial assumption, based on the thread title (because, like you, I can read), was that SJ was using it pejoratively, but then I read his post and thought otherwise.

Him confirming that he said she quit, which she in fact did do, doesn't confirm he thinks she quit on her team. I don't know why he's being cryptic.

My point is that there's a difference between quitting something and quitting on something. This is from the article linked to above:

She didn’t quit on her team. She quit, she said, and saved the team.
Thank you. This is a strange place, I had no idea we can no longer use words that describe the action we witinessed.

I said she quit because she quit, I wasn't critical of her as you could tell from my post. It's hard to believe others can't see that but this is the boneyard.

Reaction Score
I distinctly remember my girlfriend and I watching and saying “Somethings going on. She is sucking ass” the first night of competition. The way she went out of bounds on the mat and almost ran off the pad after the vault. She seemed so off and a commentator said she seemed disinterested or something.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Thank you. This is a strange place, I had no idea we can no longer use words that describe the action we witinessed.

I said she quit because she quit, I wasn't critical of her as you could tell from my post. It's hard to believe others can't see that but this is the boneyard.
Until I read someone using the word "withdraw," I had a sense that there was a better word but I couldn't come up with it. I think you might have benefitted by its use

Reaction Score

When someone is said to have “quit”, there is very often an implied moral and/or fortitude failing. I can see how you didn’t, but obviously others applied that coloring of the message

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
We live in a country full of quitters, she def does not have a Mamba mentality. Sad….

Reaction Score
When someone says that the happiest moments of a career in which they were the best in the history of their chosen sport were their times away from the sport you know something's up.

I think she's mentioned that the only reason she's still competing is that she's the last active Nassar accuser and her absence would make it harder to press for reform of whatever the governing body is.
That's a lot pressure she puts on herself, as well as the pressure from others.

The scoring issue also plays into this

Reaction Score
I pity people as stupid and ignorant as you
You've shown yourself to be the stupid one. You someone who just makes excuses for people.
You either Do or you DON'T. She plain wasn't feelin' it and just Quit.
Nasser stuff didn't affect her last Olympics, World championships , qualifying. It all came to a head right now in CRUNCH TIME.
Girl Quit and he will and should affect her payday. Same as if she did do well, then it would also affect her payday, this time positively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom