Olympics- Simone Biles quits and Russians win gold | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Olympics- Simone Biles quits and Russians win gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
None of her reasoning or logic makes any sense. She says it was best for the team, but she completely screwed the team by doing one event and then quitting. She could’ve done this yesterday and another girl could’ve taken her spot. So what she did is literally the worst thing possible for the team.

and she’s also not exactly clear why she did it. She’s mentioned all kinds of reasons, Best for the team, fear of injury, too much pressure etc. Why can’t we just tell it like it is. She vastly underperformed for possibly all of those reasons or possibly something else.

But this is basically an all time choke job. Probably the biggest in history. AND she screwed her team over. AND she quit. Plenty of athletes have wilted under pressure but it’s never been celebrated as “raising awareness for mental health”. Not many have quit in similar fashion but they also weren’t being celebrated.
????

She’s been perfectly clear about why she stepped back, and it makes total sense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This isn’t a sport you can half-ass. She essentially had a panic attack 12’ off the ground - that is not the place to have it.

If she has it before she starts, someone else can take her place, but she didn’t - you can‘t sub in for someone who is 12’ off the ground, Gravity will not allow it.

And once you do not trust yourself, you cannot continue in gymnastics until you do. It is a spectacularly dangerous sport done by freaks of nature - there is no margin for error. She had to pull out.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
This isn’t a sport you can half-ass. She essentially had a panic attack 12’ off the ground - that is not the place to have it.

If she has it before she starts, someone else can take her place, but she didn’t - you can‘t sub in for someone who is 12’ off the ground, Gravity will not allow it.

And once you do not trust yourself, you cannot continue in gymnastics until you do. It is a spectacularly dangerous sport done by freaks of nature - there is no margin for error. She had to pull out.

Very well said.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
She’s had that risk at every event she’s ever been in and dominated. Every practice even. She’s taken on that risk literally thousands of times. Why now? Makes no sense.

Things change.

She is not a robot.

Reaction Score
After the Biles hype show over the last 6 months (never saw a product she wouldn't endorse or interview she wouldn't do etc), very disappointing. It's more about marketing than performance nowadays.

Reaction Score
She’s had that risk at every event she’s ever been in and dominated. Every practice even. She’s taken on that risk literally thousands of times. Why now? Makes no sense.
Why now? Extreme pressure can trigger stuff. It doesn't happen every time. It's unpredictable. Why do people get panic attacks some times and not others? A golfer loses it mentally and his swing goes and he posts a bad score. A gymnast loses her edge mentally and her confidence and she could really get hurt doing flips high in the air.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Really great explainer just now on NBC from Nastia Liukin:

Every gymnast has moments where they get ‘lost in the air.’ What separates Biles from everyone is else that the degree of difficulty of the moves that Biles performs are so high that it is very dangerous to even attempt them if you’re not 100%.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Why now? Extreme pressure can trigger stuff. It doesn't happen every time. It's unpredictable. Why do people get panic attacks some times and not others? A golfer loses it mentally and his swing goes and he posts a bad score. A gymnast loses her edge mentally and her confidence and she could really get hurt doing flips high in the air.
I've suffered from panic attacks and anxiety my whole life. Had a panic attack while driving from Boston back to Storrs once. Ended up having to get a hotel room because I didn't trust myself to do as something as mundane as driving. I couldn't imagine being in that state of mind and saying "yeah, you know what, I will fling myself way up into the air and flip around!"

Reaction Score
None of her reasoning or logic makes any sense. She says it was best for the team, but she completely screwed the team by doing one event and then quitting. She could’ve done this yesterday and another girl could’ve taken her spot. So what she did is literally the worst thing possible for the team.

and she’s also not exactly clear why she did it. She’s mentioned all kinds of reasons, Best for the team, fear of injury, too much pressure etc. Why can’t we just tell it like it is. She vastly underperformed for possibly all of those reasons or possibly something else.

But this is basically an all time choke job. Probably the biggest in history. AND she screwed her team over. AND she quit. Plenty of athletes have wilted under pressure but it’s never been celebrated as “raising awareness for mental health”. Not many have quit in similar fashion but they also weren’t being celebrated.
I totally see that logic doesn’t make sense to you

I imagine you struggle with it frequently

Reaction Score
There’s a crossover between people too ignorant to understand why Biles did what she did and another group of people that I’d love to make, but it’d probably get me put in a timeout. I’m sure you can infer. I bet the vent diagram would just be two completely overlapping circles.

Reaction Score
There’s a crossover between people too ignorant to understand why Biles did what she did and another group of people that I’d love to make, but it’d probably get me put in a timeout. I’m sure you can infer. I bet the vent diagram would just be two completely overlapping circles.
We also clearly have some minds that are just old, frail, inflexible, and prone to being reactionary. Then you superimpose that onto a minds that were educated and socialized in the 50s lol

I mean you have people writing out mini essays without having even the most basic information

Reaction Score
lol...she's 24 years old. We've ragged on UConn players that are just 18 as being too soft, weak, no heart. After the Maryland loss, some idiots were complaining about Bouknight. Heck, we dissect 16 and 17 year olds. "He seems soft" etc. Remember the Bouk quit during the season crap? Bouk is 20.

Guess what? Being mentally strong is part of the game. So if a 24 year old Olympian quits because she could not handle the mental aspect of the competition, guess what? Criticizing her isn't out of bounds. Running a marathon takes mental effort. Training at 3 pm in the Arkansas humidity takes mental effort. Studying for a test takes mental energy. Being mentally "unstrong" (is that a made-up pc enough term?) opens up a high profile athlete to scrutiny. I guarantee that there are Olympic athletes competing that have faced far greater hurdles/bad experiences than she has that keep on keeping on. It just sucks that this has given fodder to some of the trolls/

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

This thread is doing double duty as both an empathy test and an intelligence test

Reaction Score
lol...she's 24 years old. We've ragged on UConn players that are just 18 as being too soft, weak, no heart. After the Maryland loss, some idiots were complaining about Bouknight. Heck, we dissect 16 and 17 year olds. "He seems soft" etc. Remember the Bouk quit during the season crap? Bouk is 20.

Guess what? Being mentally strong is part of the game. So if a 24 year old Olympian quits because she could not handle the mental aspect of the competition, guess what? Criticizing her isn't out of bounds. Running a marathon takes mental effort. Training at 3 pm in the Arkansas humidity takes mental effort. Studying for a test takes mental energy. Being mentally "unstrong" (is that a made-up pc enough term?) opens up a high profile athlete to scrutiny. I guarantee that there are Olympic athletes competing that have faced far greater hurdles/bad experiences than she has that keep on keeping on. It just sucks that this has given fodder to some of the trolls/
I said before I pity the stupid and ignorant but man what a blissful, simple life you must enjoy

Reaction Score
I totally see that logic doesn’t make sense to you

I imagine you struggle with it frequently

By screwing her team she was helping her team? And she was also not risking injury even tho she’s done that a million times before but only now is when she decided it’s important? Or she has the weight of the world on her shoulders despite being enormous favorites and all she has to do is not her worst ever and they win gold? That logic is sound to you? Usually when someone lists every reason possible, they are hiding the true reason.

so go ahead and explain it then. I guarantee you won’t.

Reaction Score
I guarantee that there are Olympic athletes competing that have faced far greater hurdles/bad experiences than she has that keep on keeping on.
Yeah, I guess being sexually assaulted for years really is no big deal. Obviously should’ve just shaken it off.

Reaction Score
By screwing her team she was helping her team? And she was also not risking injury even tho she’s done that a million times before but only now is when she decided it’s important? Or she has the weight of the world on her shoulders despite being enormous favorites and all she has to do is not her worst ever and they win gold? That logic is sound to you? Usually when someone lists every reason possible, they are hiding the true reason.

You’ve demonstrated that you are not worth anyone’s serious time, son.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I said before I pity the stupid and ignorant but man what a blissful, simple life you must enjoy
People like this who think mental health struggles and hurdles and circumstances are things you can compare between people really do live fortunate lives.

Reaction Score

Honestly it's like you're actually trying hard to be dense on this one. You seem to be going out of your way to ignore what actually happened with this person.

But, hey, you wanted to bet me that Bouknight wasn't going to get drafted in the first round so I guess I shouldn't be stunned by your performance here.

Reaction Score

People who criticized Bouknight for being soft were just as wrong as the people criticizing Simone in this thread are. I know you thought you were were having an incredibly smart gotcha moment here, and you were, it's just directed in the mirror and not externally like you thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom