Olympics- Simone Biles quits and Russians win gold | The Boneyard

Olympics- Simone Biles quits and Russians win gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This thread should go sideways by the first response.

First, Russia isn't even competing in these Olympics.

We are about one more athlete in any sport citing mental health from this becoming a caricature. Athletes at the highest level have always had to be a bit whacked to put in the time and energy to compete at this level. Somewhere MJ is laughing at all this. Lebron should be tweeting his support at any second.

Elite competition has always been harder on women since their bodies develop earlier and can compete at the world level while still in their teens- gymnastics, swimming, tennis, golf,......... It's almost unheard of for men to win medals as teenagers, for women it's the norm. No way their minds can consistently keep up with their bodies. Pressure of social media following them from their pre teen days prolly doesn't help. Remember this with NIL.

I wish her well. In no way do I feel like she let down herself or her country. This too shall pass.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
she should have thought about how disappointed you would have been instead of her own mental health deteriorating due to the pressure of being the greatest of all time.

I didn't read Superjohn's post as being critical of her.

It is disappointing to her and her fans. If she had broken an ankle, you would describe it as disappointing, right?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This thread should go sideways by the first response.

First, Russia isn't even competing in these Olympics.

We are about one more athlete in any sport citing mental health from this becoming a caricature. Athletes at the highest level have always had to be a bit whacked to put in the time and energy to compete at this level. Somewhere MJ is laughing at all this. Lebron should be tweeting his support at any second.

Elite competition has always been harder on women since their bodies develop earlier and can compete at the world level while still in their teens- gymnastics, swimming, tennis, golf,......... It's almost unheard of for men to win medals as teenagers, for women it's the norm. No way their minds can consistently keep up with their bodies. Pressure of social media following them from their pre teen days prolly doesn't help. Remember this with NIL.

I wish her well. In no way do I feel like she let down herself or her country. This too shall pass.

Also: Larry Nassar

I would say that recognizing a reality and giving it a name doesn't make it a caricature.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I didn't read Superjohn's post as being critical of her.

It is disappointing to her and her fans. If she had broken an ankle, you would describe it as disappointing, right?
with the tone of the title and the post OP is making it sound like it's Biles fault that the ROC won and that he is disappointed in her. That's what it sounds like to me. /shrug

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
with the tone of the title and the post OP is making it sound like it's Biles fault that the ROC won and that he is disappointed in her. That's what it sounds like to me. /shrug

I suppose "quits" is pejorative but the post itself wasn't critical.

Reaction Score
Also: Larry Nassar

I would say that recognizing a reality and giving it a name doesn't make it a caricature.
That monster (Nassar) is the first thing I thought of when she quit.

Reaction Score
When someone says that the happiest moments of a career in which they were the best in the history of their chosen sport were their times away from the sport you know something's up.

I think she's mentioned that the only reason she's still competing is that she's the last active Nassar accuser and her absence would make it harder to press for reform of whatever the governing body is.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
When someone says that the happiest moments of a career in which they were the best in the history of their chosen sport were their times away from the sport you know something's up.

I think she's mentioned that the only reason she's still competing is that she's the last active Nassar accuser and her absence would make it harder to press for reform of whatever the governing body is.
I can't imagine being in that position. Insane. People in this thread comparing it to some perceived mental fortitude of Michael Jordan are a joke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Being mentally tough comes with the territory.
Her brand will, no doubt, be affected. She's not the total star that we thought she was. No way around it.
Athletes who overcome all these challenges are the ones who deservingly receive high praise.
Just a disappointing situation all around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

My guess is it's all Nassar related. The pressure of not letting him win and the pressure of her representing for all his victims most likely led to this which makes it even sadder...

This isn't an athlete who couldn't just deal with the pressure of sports at the highest level or couldn't deal with media obligations, this is someone who was violated in the worst possible way and has to carry that for herself and others. At least that's my read on it. I hope she can regroup and win a gold in a couple of days but totally understand if she drops out.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
To be fair, at least @Chin Diesel's response was nuanced. He wasn't simply spouting machismo like a bunch of upcoming posts will (suck it up, participation trophies, blah blah blah).

See:

Her brand will, no doubt, be affected. Sher's not the total star that we thought she was. No way around it.
Athletes who overcome all these challenges are the ones who deservingly receive high praise.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Her brand will, no doubt, be affected. Sher's not the total star that we thought she was. No way around it.
A young athlete saying "I can't perform to the best of my abilities because I am unwell mentally and will not be able to deliver a winning performance for my teammates" deserves all high praise in the world. She's certainly the total star I thought she was.

Reaction Score
My guess is it's all Nassar related. The pressure of not letting him win and the pressure of her representing for all his victims most likely led to this which makes it even sadder...

This isn't an athlete who couldn't just deal with the pressure of sports at the highest level or couldn't deal with media obligations, this is someone who was violated in the worst possible way and has to carry that for herself and others. At least that's my read on it. I hope she can regroup and win a gold in a couple of days but totally understand if she drops out.
Then she should have stayed home.
The Nasser stuff is old history. Devastating and terrible, YES. But not recent.
She simply should have stayed home rather than quit on the biggest stage. Perhaps, the next star could have been on the team rather than Biles. Instead Biles goes tot he Olympics and then says its all just too much when her team needed her the most.
Its all about endorsements and money. If she stayed home rather than go to the Olympics, it would have cost her millions. So she goes to the Olympics and all of a sudden, its all too much for her? Come on.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
She simply should have stayed home rather than quit on the biggest stage. Perhaps, the next star could have been on the team rather than Biles. Instead Biles goes tot he Olympics and then says its all just too much when her team needed her the most.
Its all about endorsements and money. If she stayed home rather than go to the Olympics, it would have cost her millions. So she goes to the Olympics and all of a sudden, its all too much for her? Come on.
You seem to have a really good handle on trauma and mental health!

Reaction Score
Some of the reactions I've seen (on the internet, not this thread) are shocking. I'm not shocked that it's what people believe, and I guess I'm not shocked that people say stuff anonymously, but it's shocking nonetheless. I've seen racist messages, but those people would attack her about anything. The worse stuff is about how soft athletes have gotten and that she's a loser, etc. I'm sure she feels horrible about letting her teammates down, but this isn't a woman that I've ever read bad stuff about. She doesn't appear to be a selfish, entitled, person and seems to have been a supportive teammate in a sport that requires teammates to compete against each other.

If Simone was your daughter, sister, friend, etc. would you give her crap about her decision, or would you support her? Her inner turmoil must be unbearable. The way I look at it is she doesn't have to be lauded for her decision, but she should not be mocked or attacked. If she broke her ankle in prelims nobody would fault her for dropping out. Instead, her mind is injured and that's an important part of an athlete's strengths.

Reaction Score
My guess is she thought she could handle it and no the Nassar thing isn't old news for her or any of the hundreds of other girls/women, they'll be dealing with that in some form for the rest of their lives.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan or her as a person and athlete, this is a bit sad/disappointing to see.
I’m not so disappointed that she quit... and hey maybe it did benefit the team like she wanted it to.
But what I do have a problem with is people calling her the “ultimate teammate”. Your captain is supposed to lead and she goes MIA at the start of a huge meet, and leaves teenagers worried about her health and now they must figure out new routines to cover for the events.

I understand the importance of mental health but you just put “all the weight of the world” on the shoulders of an 18 and 20 year old to do your events.

Last edited:

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I’m not so disappointed that she quit... and hey maybe it did benefit the team like she wanted it to.
But what I do have a problem with is people calling her the “ultimate teammate”. Your captain is supposed to lead and when she goes MIA at the start of a huge meet, and leaves teenagers to figure out new routines to cover for the events she’ll miss AND in the postgame interviews her teammates were clearly worried bc they did not know what happened.

When Brady & the Patriots were down 28-3 you don’t think Brady was feeling the pressure? Throws that pick-6 and says to Bill “eh I guess I just don’t have it today.” I understand the importance of mental health but you just put “all the weight of the world” on the shoulders of an 18 and 20 year old to do your events.
can we all please collectively stop with this false equivalency garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom