Olympics- Simone Biles quits and Russians win gold | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Olympics- Simone Biles quits and Russians win gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
By screwing her team she was helping her team? And she was also not risking injury even tho she’s done that a million times before but only now is when she decided it’s important? Or she has the weight of the world on her shoulders despite being enormous favorites and all she has to do is not her worst ever and they win gold? That logic is sound to you? Usually when someone lists every reason possible, they are hiding the true reason.

so go ahead and explain it then. I guarantee you won’t.

Let’s play this out. She’s doing her floor routine, has the yips in the middle of one of those crazy flip-twist things, and lands on her head, paralyzing her. Does that win us the gold medal?

Reaction Score
People who criticized Bouknight for being soft were just as wrong as the people criticizing Simone in this thread are. I know you thought you were were having an incredibly smart gotcha moment here, and you were, it's just directed in the mirror and not externally like you thought
Nah man we PC pussification of America trolls are totally getting owned right now idk what we are gonna do

Reaction Score
Could you stop using a sexual assault as an excuse for a crappy performance in a sporting competition? It trivializes sexual assault.
Now this is a relatively good troll effort on your part. This should be good. You’ll always be able to cling to a “trivializing” argument.

5/10

Reaction Score
You’ve demonstrated that you are not worth anyone’s serious time, son.

Lmao. there it is. I could’ve guaranteed you would do that. Seen it a million times. That one interaction we’ve had ever demonstrated that to you? That one post? You’re spinning is as good as biles and the media. Just say you don’t have an answer and you prefer to mock people and can’t back it up.

I haven’t seen you make a single actual point yet.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Could you stop using a sexual assault as an excuse for a crappy performance in a sporting competition? It trivializes sexual assault.
It’s not like she’s spoken loudly about how much weight she feels being the only active victim and how much of an impact it’s had or anything.

Reaction Score
Lmao. there it is. I could’ve guaranteed you would do that. Seen it a million times. That one interaction we’ve had ever demonstrated that to you? That one post? You’re spinning is as good as biles and the media. Just say you don’t have an answer and you prefer to mock people and can’t back it up.

I haven’t seen you make a single actual point yet.
I can understand that your memory may be crap but mine isn’t. I don’t need to have any direct exchange with you. You have your posting history. And this whole thread of your nonsense.

“Never argue with stupid people. They’ll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Reaction Score
Let’s play this out. She’s doing her floor routine, has the yips in the middle of one of those crazy flip-twist things, and lands on her head, paralyzing her. Does that win us the gold medal?

Ok that does make complete sense. And is the best decision if she actually could injure herself. so I guess maybe I did misinterpret that. But I don’t think it wasn’t actually portrayed that way.

That would mean admitting she had the yips (choked) which caused all of this and nobody is doing that.

Reaction Score
I've suffered from panic attacks and anxiety my whole life. Had a panic attack while driving from Boston back to Storrs once. Ended up having to get a hotel room because I didn't trust myself to do as something as mundane as driving. I couldn't imagine being in that state of mind and saying "yeah, you know what, I will fling myself way up into the air and flip around!"
Yep, I don't see any way she stopped competing because she was just performing poorly. She wasn't there mentally, anxiety took over and she just couldn't do it.

As to your driving story, my mom has dealt with depression and anxiety her whole life and for 7-8 years she drove from CT. to North Jersey every week to see her sick father. One day she got to the Tappan Zee Bridge and couldn't cross it. For a long time after every week she drove a way longer route every week because she just couldn't go near the bridge. The mind is a strange thing.

It's good to talk about these things.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I always thought that too much was invested by fans in a player's "mental toughness". Michael Jordan and Larry Bird were not who they were because they were mentally tougher than other players. Michael Jordan had incredible body control and Larry Bird is 6'9 and had amazing hand-eye coordination. These were natural gifts that they honed with hard work. I bet there have been 10,000 NBA players that were just as mentally tough as those two but without their physical gifts.

Likewise, Simone Biles is simply a fantastic athlete, likely the best of all time in her sport, but it is a sport that takes incredible focus and hard work and she clearly doesn't have that any more. That is not a moral judgment, but it is also not a deep insight. Her screwups didn't start today. She lost her edge. It happens. It is unfortunate that she decided she didn't have it anymore after she took someone else's spot on the team, but that is what it is.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Yep, I don't see any way she stopped competing because she was just performing poorly. She wasn't there mentally, anxiety took over and she just couldn't do it.

As to your driving story, my mom has dealt with depression and anxiety her whole life and for 7-8 years she drove from CT. to North Jersey every week to see her sick father. One day she got to the Tappan Zee Bridge and couldn't cross it. For a long time after every week she drove a way longer route every week because she just couldn't go near the bridge. The mind is a strange thing.

It's good to talk about these things.
Yeah it is! And people, some in this thread, believes it has anything to do with weakness or strength.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ok that does make complete sense. And is the best decision if she actually could injure herself. so I guess maybe I did misinterpret that. But I don’t think it wasn’t actually portrayed that way.

That would mean admitting she had the yips (choked) which caused all of this and nobody is doing that.

We’re making progress. The next step is understanding that having an anxiety attack doesn’t make someone mentally weak.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In a thread of terrible takes from the board’s Oakleys crew, this one really stands out as tremendously stupid and offensive. Bravo.

It is offensive to conflate a horrible crime with events in a sporting competition.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score

That’s exactly what people - especially her - have been saying. She herself said she was feeling shaky, didn’t have the mental aspect, got lost in the air (which could get you paralyzed or worse - killed) and had to back out.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
It is offensive to conflate a horrible crime with events in a sporting competition.
…do you know about the US gymnastics coverup of Nassar’s assault, and what it did to the sport? The crime and the sport are hand in hand here.

Reaction Score
Her quitting didn't help the team. Her being the world's best gymnast crushing her routine would have helped her team. But for her yips, that didn't happen. Again, it sucks because she was that one routine away from being GOAT of GOAT. Now she's fodder for being a choke artist on the world's biggest stage. And of course having a panic attack is a sign of mental weakness. An understandable mental weakness, but a weakness nonetheless.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Her quitting didn't help the team. Her being the world's best gymnast crushing her routine would have helped her team. But for her yips, that didn't happen. Again, it sucks because she was that one routine away from being GOAT of GOAT. Now she's fodder for being a choke artist on the world's biggest stage. And of course having a panic attack is a sign of mental weakness. An understandable mental weakness, but a weakness nonetheless.

Congrats on winning a gold medal in being a dlckhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom