OC Search | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OC Search

Reaction Score
My biggest fear is that RE 2.0 still can’t give his OC free reign.

Don't worry, Benedict is fully aware of what this program needs and an old style RE-1.0 offense will not happen. Benedict is the BMOC now. His future depends on turning around both football and Men's B-Ball. He also has the support and confidence of SH. Watch this space.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Don't worry, Benedict is fully aware of what this program needs and an old style RE-1.0 offense will not happen. Benedict is the BMOC now. His future depends on turning around both football and Men's B-Ball. He also has the support and confidence of SH. Watch this space.

Well, it only took 4 games for Edsall to choke off the offense because the defense couldn't handle pace of game.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Well, it only took 4 games for Edsall to choke off the offense because the defense couldn't handle pace of game.
Not sure that you can criticize RE for “choking off the offense”. This is a catch 22. If the offensive pace resulted in scoring, then the defense can tolerate the faster pace. While improved, we didn’t demonstrate that we had the horses to score enough points. I expect that we will be improved in ‘18.

Reaction Score
Edsall himself specifically said before last year that UConn needs to have an offense that can keep up with the higher-octane offenses in the AAC. So it's unlikely we're going back to the old Big East run run smashmouth offense. Lashlee was a gift but we need someone who will get results AND hang around for more than 1 year.

Reaction Score
Why can't his reasoning for choosing SMU be true? Just because he also interviewed at Rutgers doesn't mean it was for the same reason he interviewed at SMU. He interviewed at Rutgers because its a P5 OC job in the B1G with B1G money. He interviewed at SMU because it was closer to home and a lateral move.

Super disappointed, but not ready to kill the guy for making a family decision.

Reaction Score
We can solve two problems here.

1. We need an OC to call plays, but on the cheap.

2. Our attendance and fan engagement are at an all time low.

Kill two birds with one stone here: Develop an app so that everyone in the stadium can vote on the next offensive play call on their phone. We can even generate revenue by getting sponsors for the app.
We could also create an app for timeouts with a requirement that you had to have played Madden within the last 12 months to understand clock management

Reaction Score
We could also create an app for timeouts with a requirement that you had to have played Madden within the last 12 months to understand clock management
Sure, but will it incorporate a few Boneyarders' omniscient coaching styles, 3rd person-speaking bonerisms, or both? ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Yard if DanO gets an offer and is hired:

LOL! More like a bowl berth though.

Reaction Score
I like Dan O a lot but he needs to get his feet wet before taking a power6 OC job.

That being said I hope he’s on our staff next season as the qb coach.

Reaction Score
I like Dan O a lot but he needs to get his feet wet before taking a power6 OC job.

I'll say this about Dan O. He carried the clipboard and got $2 million per year. He rarely, if ever, played. So there must be something their if a team is willing to pay you $2 million just to carry the clipboard.

If he helped the OC develop the game plan and worked with the QB's on game planning then there is a possibility that it's him and we have our guy. You have to admit he has to have seen it all. Don't know if any QB in the NFL survived that long just carrying a clipboard.

Edsall ends up in Detroit and Dan O spent a ton of time there. Did something gel??

We could do worse.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Reaction Score

Everyone keeps saying that. Scott Lutrus doesn’t think so, which further convinces me that he is the right guy.

Reaction Score
I'll say this about Dan O. He carried the clipboard and got $2 million per year. He rarely, if ever, played. So there must be something their if a team is willing to pay you $2 million just to carry the clipboard.

If he helped the OC develop the game plan and worked with the QB's on game planning then there is a possibility that it's him and we have our guy. You have to admit he has to have seen it all. Don't know if any QB in the NFL survived that long just carrying a clipboard.

Edsall ends up in Detroit and Dan O spent a ton of time there. Did something gel??

We could do worse.

Fair point. Reasons for optimism I suppose.

Reaction Score
Everyone keeps saying that. Scott Lutrus doesn’t think so, which further convinces me that he is the right guy.

Fair point as well. I’m just interested to see who we pick. I just wasn’t sure how he would operate as an OC if he’s never done it before.

One thing is certain DO would be committed to staying in Storrs if he comes here.

Reaction Score
Fair point as well. I’m just interested to see who we pick. I just wasn’t sure how he would operate as an OC if he’s never done it before.

One thing is certain DO would be committed to staying in Storrs if he comes here.
I'm worried about the play calling thing. Not the right plays, but can we get a play called on time and keep the flow of the game. Disco Bob and staff were miserable.

Reaction Score
I'm worried about the play calling thing. Not the right plays, but can we get a play called on time and keep the flow of the game. Disco Bob and staff were miserable.

Disco Bob was an idiot and not comparable to an offensive minded coach like DO could be.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Reaction Score
Let’s stop right there. I threw up in my mouth having Dan O. and the preferred coach of Golis everywhere.

Reaction Score
Robert Prince?

Worked with Edsall in Detroit. Currently the WR coach for the Lions (although likely looking for a job with Caldwell being fired). Before going to the NFL, he was the Offensive Coordinator for Boise St. Likely would come cheap.

This is by the far the most creative suggestion to date. I really like this idea. Add DO as the QB coach and I think you have something here that would satisfy fans, players and recruits.
Boise runs/ran the kind of offense we need to run with probably similar caliber of player.

Reaction Score
That's actually a testament to RE's coaching acumen. If only Kevin Ollie had as much insight.

We all knew Lashlee was here to build his resume and move on up in the world. He obviously wanted to run uptempo and put up as much offense as possible.

RE reigned that in after 4 games and said as much publicly. I think RE made the right call in terms of giving us the best chance to win games in 2017. I also think the decision to slow down the offense played a role in pushing Lashlee out the door.

Reaction Score
We can solve two problems here.

1. We need an OC to call plays, but on the cheap.

2. Our attendance and fan engagement are at an all time low.

Kill two birds with one stone here: Develop an app so that everyone in the stadium can vote on the next offensive play call on their phone. We can even generate revenue by getting sponsors for the app.
It would be interesting if the vote was run run pass punt. Who would you get mad at?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I’ve heard through a contact that Mrs. Lashlee hated New England. Wouldn’t be surprised if that was a major factor. If Momma ain’t happy ain’t nobody happy. If Daddy ain’t happy, who cares?
I don't see how anyone could hate New England, except for the snow in March (and sometimes in April). But Dallas does have some benefits ... it's the 4th largest metro area, the weather is similar to South Carolina, real estate is slightly less expensive, etc.

I believe the regional cultural differences are exaggerated. Yes, the South is a different culture, but people are generally the same all over the U.S. Dallas is not like The Andy Griffith Show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom