OC Search | The Boneyard

OC Search

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm really at a loss for who we'd be interested in. Dan O keeps coming up, but just seems like a bad idea. I'd take him on as a QB coach. Breiner won't happen, Weist seems like a tired option. There's got to be something more exciting than those options.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm really at a loss for who we'd be interested in. Dan O keeps coming up, but just seems like a bad idea. I'd take him on as a QB coach. Breiner won't happen, Weist seems like a tired option. There's got to be something more exciting than those options.
Did you know who Joe Moorehead was when he was at Akron?

One thing RE has been exceptional at is finding quality coordinators. Giving them the freedom to do things their way is a different story.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Robert Prince?

Worked with Edsall in Detroit. Currently the WR coach for the Lions (although likely looking for a job with Caldwell being fired). Before going to the NFL, he was the Offensive Coordinator for Boise St. Likely would come cheap.

Reaction Score
Did you know who Joe Moorehead was when he was at Akron?

One thing RE has been exceptional at is finding quality coordinators. Giving them the freedom to do things their way is a different story.[/QUOTE]
I thought Randy had changed, but seeing Rhett leave makes me think not.

Reaction Score
Robert Prince?

Worked with Edsall in Detroit. Currently the WR coach for the Lions (although likely looking for a job with Caldwell being fired). Before going to the NFL, he was the Offensive Coordinator for Boise St. Likely would come cheap.
Makes the most sense at this stage in the game...

Decent bio:

Detroit Lions: Robert Prince 

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Do we all feel confident that RE has embraced uptempo offense? Or was it just Lashlee? I would hate to see UConn offense go back to RE 1.0. I know it would make BL happy ;)

I think RE realizes that to compete in the AAC, you have to score. I would guess he realizes that he needs an aggressive OC.

Reaction Score
I wonder if he would promote someone from within, namely Terry Richardson.

I would love to see Orlovsky as QB coach and Foley back working with the OL if Grimes leaves. However, this would leave no position for the OC to coach, unless Corey Edsall isn’t allowed to return or we promote from within.

Lastly, I wonder if we would bring back Darrell Perkins (currently at Fordham) since a tenth assistant will be allowed starting this year. He would help with DBs (where we could use some more coaching) and maybe with special teams.

Reaction Score
Do we all feel confident that RE has embraced uptempo offense? Or was it just Lashlee? I would hate to see UConn offense go back to RE 1.0. I know it would make BL happy ;)

I think RE realizes that to compete in the AAC, you have to score. I would guess he realizes that he needs an aggressive OC.

Any offense is good if it works. Lashlee did an outstanding job. I'm incredibly sad to see him go, and shocked that we lost him to friggin SMU.

Reaction Score
I don’t fear a Dan O pick as OC like some do.
I like OC’s who were QB’s in their past life, and if you have one who has spent 12 years in the film room of NFL teams, even better.
Listening to him breakdown film is very enlightening - he’s a pretty smart dude and flat out says he wants the job.
I wouldn’t view him as Verducci or DeLeone 2.0

Reaction Score
Any offense is good if it works. Lashlee did an outstanding job. I'm incredibly sad to see him go, and shocked that we lost him to friggin SMU.
The fact that he interviewed for the Rutgers gig before he chose SMU took me for a bit of a loop... but, then again, he's probably not too connected to the rivalry we seem to have with them...

Reaction Score
I don’t fear a Dan O pick as OC like some do.
I like OC’s who were QB’s in their past life, and if you have one who has spent 12 years in the film room of NFL teams, even better.
Listening to him breakdown film is very enlightening - he’s a pretty smart dude and flat out says he wants the job.
I wouldn’t view him as Verducci or DeLeone 2.0

Agreed... but in Edsall 2.0 we trust.... He's the ultimate decision maker...

Reaction Score
Did you know who Joe Moorehead was when he was at Akron?.

That's why speculation on candidates is a crap shoot. I'm from PBurgh - Joe was very highly thought of in that part of the country for many years before landing in HuskyNation. Got his start @ Pitt as a GA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gonna have to pry him away from Joe M @ Miss. State

Was thinking he may think UConn OC is a better gig than Miss St QB coach and he has a history here, but I would have also thought that about FCS HC gig being better than Miss St QB coach and he made that jump, so I am probably wrong.

Someone on twitter just threw out Sean Gleeson - Interesting.

Reaction Score
Gleeson kinda fits the mold of what Edsall 2.0 (other than Lashlee and Grimes) has assembled for a coaching staff.. younger guys that pretty much excelled at the FCS level.... He'd be a guy that I could see sticking around for awhile, potentially making a name for himself up in Storrs... but then again, why not go with Dan O if the case???

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
We can solve two problems here.

1. We need an OC to call plays, but on the cheap.

2. Our attendance and fan engagement are at an all time low.

Kill two birds with one stone here: Develop an app so that everyone in the stadium can vote on the next offensive play call on their phone. We can even generate revenue by getting sponsors for the app.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It’s crazy to think about who we used to have on staff here during RE 1.0

I’d love to have Moorehead back as OC an Todd Orlando as DC. Reunite those two with Foley and RE and we’d be set!

Really wish we somehow were able to lure Moorehead here when we canned Diaco. He’s a Northeast guy and I have a feeling he’s going to be a fish out of water down at Miss St. I hope he succeeds but it’s going to be tough. Would love to see him back in the NE at UConn later in time. I know there’s no way he’s coming here anytime soon.

In the end, we need an OC that runs up-tempo like RL was running and has strong ties to this region. Plenty of talent in the PA, NJ, OH region.

My biggest fear is that RE 2.0 still can’t give his OC free reign. Hoping that didn’t happen with RL but I remember it was an issue when Moorehead was here and wasn’t able to fully implement his spread offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom