Now is the time for Blumenthal to declare war

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Any of those sources reliable?

No they aren't.

UConn has nothing left to lose. There is no reason to play by the rules anymore. We asked everyone extra nice, and they all told us to go F ourselves. Including the Worldwide Leader.

Reaction Score
There really is nothing left to lose. Use Flipper's comments against all them rat bastards. Fugg it.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Here's an idea: renounce the state subsidies for the Bristol Gang and re-apportion it to UConn athletics.

The school is a vital economic engine for the CT economy as well, and apparently a much more loyal one...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's an idea: renounce the state subsidies for the Bristol Gang and re-apportion it to UConn athletics.

The school is a vital economic engine for the CT economy as well, and apparently a much more loyal one...
I think the state would lose if this went to trial. The best case that comes to mind is that ESPN constructively breached their implied duty of fair dealing to the State of Connecticut. Sound like a reach? It is. But here's the thing, ESPN probably doesn't go to trial on it because discovery would be very, very messy.

Exposing how the sausage is made might be the only leverage we have. It is an interesting idea.

Reaction Score
I think the state would lose if this went to trial. The best case that comes to mind is that ESPN constructively breached their implied duty of fair dealing to the State of Connecticut. Sound like a reach? It is. But here's the thing, ESPN probably doesn't go to trial on it because discovery would be very, very messy.

Exposing how the sausage is made might be the only leverage we have. It is an interesting idea.
There's also a pretty good case to be made for a breach of contract. ESPN had a contract with the Big East - and by extension, UConn - when the last round of expansion took place. If the BC athletic director's comments are any indication, ESPN was heavily involved.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Nelson wholeheartedly. They have to take this to court.

Penn State aided and abetted a child molester, and the state of Pennsylvania has gone to war for them. Meanwhile, in UConn's case, the school and state sat idly by while the NCAA duck*ed them out of competing in this year's men's basketball tourney.

That can't happen this time around. Not when ESPN completely screwed the top university in a state that's been giving the company tax breaks.

Reaction Score

Now that's my idea of novel!!!

Reaction Score
Any threats made to ESPN need to be behind closed doors and they better actually have some teeth. Otherwise we'll just look bitter and foolish, like the girl who couldn't get asked to prom. At that point we really would be kryptonite.

CL82

Reaction Score
Any threats made to ESPN need to be behind closed doors and they better actually have some teeth. Otherwise we'll just look bitter and foolish, like the girl who couldn't get asked to prom. At that point we really would be kryptonite.
You don't threaten. You express concern. We are concerned that ESPN hasn't acted in good faith. A subtle but important difference.

Reaction Score
You don't threaten. You express concern. We are concerned that ESPN hasn't acted in good faith. A subtle but important difference.

That would be the equivalent of writing a strongly worded memo.

I think we just have to play the game, I doubt we have anything that could be considered real leverage. And Malloy and Blumenthal care more about getting reelected, if this initiative led to ESPN moving jobs elsewhere, it would be political suicide.

Of course, I would welcome Malloy and Blumenthal committing political suicide. I would help them hang the rope, and kick the chair out from under them.

CL82

Reaction Score

I think we just have to play the game, I doubt we have anything that could be considered real leverage. And Malloy and Blumenthal care more about getting reelected, if this initiative led to ESPN moving jobs elsewhere, it would be political suicide.

Of course, I would welcome Malloy and Blumenthal committing political suicide. I would help them hang the rope, and kick the chair out from under them.
It's all in how it is presented but I agree there's not much meat on those bones. Still, if the legislature were to express concern, have hearings, invite public comment, request that ESPN come to discuss their roll in CR and whether that's consistent with their duties under the contract. It would get some burn.

ESPN is not going anywhere, they have too much of a bricks and mortar investment in Connecticut. I doubt the millions we gave them made a difference to them. I don't fault them for taking advantage of it, however.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't see ESPN as the Evil Empire but I do think that it is not out of the question to push them to help UConn get out of it's present situation. There isn't any reason they can't sit Swofford down and tell him that UConn would be the best fit for the 16th spot in the ACC because UConn could be an important piece of an ACC network.

Reaction Score

Malloy, Murphy and Blumenthal need to worry more about the ECONOMY (Malloy with the economy of Connecticut, by lowering taxes (which of course will never happen), and Murphy and Bluenthal the economy of the USA), instead of the BCS BS.

As ZooCougar said, I would love to see them committing political suicide, but then maybe Bridgeport has a few extra votes hidden for next election..

Reaction Score
To paraphrase Otter in Animal House, and to some degree, "NelsonMuntz is right. Psychotic, but absolutely right."

This isn't about bringing a lawsuit, but I can tell you how I would play it. I would be exploring three things. (And I do say exploring because, based on Aresco's omission of UConn the other day, I am not sure that the STate and University still don't know things that we don't):

1. There is one -- one -- women's athletic program, pro or college, in the entire United States of America that young girls all over the country look at and aspire to. And it is being shut out of the big time for reasons having nothing to do with women's sports and everything to do with football. I would be asking every female U.S. Senator and Congressman, and I would be asking the justice department and white house, how that can possibly be o.k. under Title IX. How Title IX can be limited to funding, but can have no rule over broader actions that universities are taking that are telling female athletes that you don't matter -- you are only around for the ride because you have to be.

2. I would now be looking at if not suing ESPN at least stopping their state subsidies. I doubt they did anything wrong this go round (having been more careful), but we sue them for breach of implied covenants of good faith and fair dealing both in their contract with the Big East and their corporate welfare contract with the State based on last year's round. Just DeFillipo's prior statements get us to a jury on that one.

3. It is time to call antitrust counsel. Antitrust laws are very complex and I am not an expert, but someone here illustrated that since '04 exactly one school that was playing BCS level football has now been pushed out. That would seem from a distance to be such an easy case.

Hell has "frozen over". It truly has. This is one heck of a post, Biz. Good observations on all points. What is all too obvious is that Connecticut needs to be relentless and bad in the political arena. At best, we are simply looking for our rightful home (we've already paid out dues during our time in the BE) in a big time conference - little to ask of other universities. At worst, we fire the first shot in the war to collapse college sports as it currently exists.

Reaction Score
Blumenthal should sit down with a senator from a few key states in the next few days and tell her to deliver the following message to the respective BCS commissioners:

1) Either UConn is in the ACC in 3 months, or he will burn college football to the ground.
2) He will get whatever subcommittee chairmanship he need to continue hearings on the anti-competitive BCS.
3) He will badger Obama's anti-trust division to investigate the anti-competitive BCS. This means that criminal penalties attach if there is found to be anti-competitive behavior.
4) He will start an investigation into the tax status of the BCS.

And when some smartass reporter asks Blumenthal if he has something more important to do, Blumenthal can honestly answer "no". Murphy can help him.

There is no reason to play nice any more. There is no reason to "wait for next time", because this was next time and it didn't happen. This is time for extortion and blackmail by our state's most powerful elected officials. Give them 3 months, then burn the entire sport to the ground.

Blumenthal saved the Big East's BCS bid 9 years ago, it is time for him to save UConn today.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...y63IboaQ-pJLU_y8N8EEThg&bvm=bv.46340616,d.dmQ

Reaction Score
Murphy-Blumenthal.........don't have much congressional influence since they are freshmen Senators or a little more. They really had a lot of influence in the gun debate.!

Just win! & Take care of ourselves !

Reaction Score
I would now be looking at if not suing ESPN at least stopping their state subsidies. I doubt they did anything wrong this go round (having been more careful), but we sue them for breach of implied covenants of good faith and fair dealing both in their contract with the Big East and their corporate welfare contract with the State based on last year's round. Just DeFillipo's prior statements get us to a jury on that one.

Really? Be careful here. Other states would love to offer subsidy incentives to attract ESPN. eSPNU has already moved to Charlotte. Lots of jobs at stake. And Bristol isn't necessarily a huge draw for most of their talent. It being home was more an accident of Rasmussen's early involvement. There are lots of folks who work there wishing it were elsewhere. Sue them or threaten to remove their subsidies because we're not in a better conference? I don't think so.

Reaction Score
Really? Be careful here. Other states would love to offer subsidy incentives to attract ESPN. eSPNU has already moved to Charlotte. Lots of jobs at stake. And Bristol isn't necessarily a huge draw for most of their talent. It being home was more an accident of Rasmussen's early involvement. There are lots of folks who work there wishing it were elsewhere. Sue them or threaten to remove their subsidies because we're not in a better conference? I don't think so.

ESPN is only in Bristol because of Rasmussen who created ESPN for the Whalers and UConn. ESPN, if Connecticut sued, would leave CT and Bristol would have an empty studio building.

What UConn needs to do is to win and play OOC opponents like 'Bama, Texas, and FSU. We need to tell people we will play them.

When they see UConn is a winner, maybe then the B1G or the ACC will invite us...us throwing a fit won't.

Reaction Score
ESPN is only in Bristol because of Rasmussen who created ESPN for the Whalers and UConn. ESPN, if Connecticut sued, would leave CT and Bristol would have an empty studio building.

What UConn needs to do is to win and play OOC opponents like 'Bama, Texas, and FSU. We need to tell people we will play them.

When they see UConn is a winner, maybe then the B1G or the ACC will invite us...us throwing a fit won't.

Empty studio building, eh?

Because that's all that's there. A building.

Reaction Score
ESPN is an ABC Company. The investment in Bristol ... from my non-layman's eye is a lot of dollars. You do have some leverage as Governor and as UConn President. Use it. Please.

My CASE: We are deserving. We have a Program that has Brand and eyeballs in MBB and WBB. We have tons of potential in FB ... if we can just learn to market and push New England into BC's snout. If we ever got a B1G or ACC spot, we'd really leverage that into World Class. Bristol ... please ... whenever there's the topic, it would be great for you to have more interest in NY/NE than the second team in Mississippi or Kansas or Iowa.

Reaction Score
ESPN is an ABC Company. The investment in Bristol ... from my non-layman's eye is a lot of dollars. You do have some leverage as Governor and as UConn President. Use it. Please.

My CASE: We are deserving. We have a Program that has Brand and eyeballs in MBB and WBB. We have tons of potential in FB ... if we can just learn to market and push New England into BC's snout. If we ever got a B1G or ACC spot, we'd really leverage that into World Class. Bristol ... please ... whenever there's the topic, it would be great for you to have more interest in NY/NE than the second team in Mississippi or Kansas or Iowa.
Technically they are 80% owned by ABC, which is 100% owned by Disney. Hearst Publishing is keeping that 20% that brings them a few $billion a year. As big as their local investment is, they will continue to re-locate pieces as they see fit to project the world-wide aspect of their business. They can host shows from multiple locations now, and it isn't like they couldn't do it from trailers for as long as it took for a new building or two somewhere else. If you don't think they haven't been crying about utility costs compared to North Carolina (among other places), you'd be sadly mistaken.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Technically they are 80% owned by ABC, which is 100% owned by Disney. Hearst Publishing is keeping that 20% that brings them a few $billion a year. As big as their local investment is, they will continue to re-locate pieces as they see fit to project the world-wide aspect of their business. They can host shows from multiple locations now, and it isn't like they couldn't do it from trailers for as long as it took for a new building or two somewhere else. If you don't think they haven't been crying about utility costs compared to North Carolina (among other places), you'd be sadly mistaken.

ESPN just got millions from the state and isn't going anywhere. Plus being close to NYC is a plus.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase Otter in Animal House, and to some degree, "NelsonMuntz is right. Psychotic, but absolutely right."

This isn't about bringing a lawsuit, but I can tell you how I would play it. I would be exploring three things. (And I do say exploring because, based on Aresco's omission of UConn the other day, I am not sure that the STate and University still don't know things that we don't):

1. There is one -- one -- women's athletic program, pro or college, in the entire United States of America that young girls all over the country look at and aspire to. And it is being shut out of the big time for reasons having nothing to do with women's sports and everything to do with football. I would be asking every female U.S. Senator and Congressman, and I would be asking the justice department and white house, how that can possibly be o.k. under Title IX. How Title IX can be limited to funding, but can have no rule over broader actions that universities are taking that are telling female athletes that you don't matter -- you are only around for the ride because you have to be.

2. I would now be looking at if not suing ESPN at least stopping their state subsidies. I doubt they did anything wrong this go round (having been more careful), but we sue them for breach of implied covenants of good faith and fair dealing both in their contract with the Big East and their corporate welfare contract with the State based on last year's round. Just DeFillipo's prior statements get us to a jury on that one.

3. It is time to call antitrust counsel. Antitrust laws are very complex and I am not an expert, but someone here illustrated that since '04 exactly one school that was playing BCS level football has now been pushed out. That would seem from a distance to be such an easy case.

"(And I do say exploring because, based on Aresco's omission of UConn the other day, I am not sure that the STate and University still don't know things that we don't):"

In another "thread" I mentioned that CT politician's silence on CR might mean that stuff is going on that only SH and a few others know about. I had a similar feeling when I read comments (noted above by BL), attributed to Aresco, that totally ignored UCONN's projected impact on the AAC. Call me crazy, but why would a conference commissioner ignore his conference's most recognizable brand; especially a brand that is located in the NYC tri-state. The first Aresco omission (a few months back) could have been an over-site. Two such omissions might indicate something else.

In any event, anything heavy-handed requires a little more political leverage than UCONN or the State have available. It's not yet time to grab a samurai sword and run down to the banzai charge.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"(And I do say exploring because, based on Aresco's omission of UConn the other day, I am not sure that the STate and University still don't know things that we don't):"

In another "thread" I mentioned that CT politician's silence on CR might mean that stuff is going on that only SH and a few others know about. I had a similar feeling when I read comments (noted above by BL), attributed to Aresco, that totally ignored UCONN's projected impact on the AAC. Call me crazy, but why would a conference commissioner ignore his conference's most recognizable brand; especially a brand that is located in the NYC tri-state. The first Aresco omission (a few months back) could have been an over-site. Two such omissions might indicate something else.

In any event, anything heavy-handed requires a little more political leverage than UCONN or the State have available. It's not yet time to grab a samurai sword and run down to the banzai charge.

Yet Aresco touts Louisville... doesn't that end this speculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom