Now is the time for Blumenthal to declare war | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Now is the time for Blumenthal to declare war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not going through this whole thread, but it should be noted for everyone outside of New England (and maybe NY) that Blumenthal is thought of as being a pompous Ashlynn Shade and having him associated in any way, shape or form with Uconn or Uconn's re-alignment hopes, isn't good.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So if we didn't sue BC and the ACC, they would now be welcoming us with open arms? I don't think so. BC would still block us every chance they get.
Correct. It is in their best interests to do so. They can't complete on a level playing field. Heck they are losing now, even with a significant TV revenue advantage.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not going through this whole thread, but it should be noted for everyone outside of New England (and maybe NY) that Blumenthal is thought of as being a pompous Ashlynn Shade and having him associated in any way, shape or form with Uconn or Uconn's re-alignment hopes, isn't good.
Really. Who even knows him outside of CT.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Frank's premise that the BE died when Rutgers and MD joined the Big Ten is incorrect and therefore his conclusions are also wrong.

The BE died the day Pitt/Cuse left. That begat WVU which begat TCU which triggered RU/MD. Then what Frank states is true.

That Pitt/Cuse defection was orchestrated by...ESPN.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Yes. Agreed. Survival of Miami, BC and VT was plausible because USF, UL and Cinci were pretty solid. But the dropoff from there was very steep.

Reaction Score
I haven't gone through this whole thread but on a related note - I think this analysis from FTT sounds plausible.

A TV Network Killed the Big East (and It’s Not the One in Bristol)

What do you make of it Nelson?

I can't agree for 3 reasons.

1. The schools that voted against the ESPN offer left. 4 schools.

2. Who owns tier 2 and tier 3 for the BE? Does Fox own all the rights of the C7? Don’t imagine that this is an insignificant question for the likes of UConn. It earns good money in broadcasting and licensing rights. UConn is not going to give up those rights. That’s why this comparison is not apt.

3. The C7 split should have happened many years ago regardless. They all voted to split in 1992 (ironically, UConn got the Catholics to agree to take on the football schools) and in 2004 (but the money loss for the Catholics was too great, and brokering an agreement was impossible).

Also realize that the BE has over $70 million in its coffers of NCAA credits, as well as $68 million in exit fees, and it will recoup some more from ND, Ville and Rutgers’ departure, as well as the negotiations with the C7. So there’s a lot of dough there. For schools like Cincy and UConn, the licensing money plus the load in the bank vault should last for at least 5 years until there is more clarity.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
$140 million divided by 10 is going to last UConn 5 years? It doesn't make up the gap for one.

Reaction Score
$140 million divided by 10 is going to last UConn 5 years? It doesn't make up the gap for one.

I wrote the money from licensing + the fees.

First off, the ACC is getting $13-14 million as Fishy discussed last week.

UConn and the BE schools that left have a gap of about $10 million in licensing, and this favors UConn which makes $24.75 million.

You add the $2 million from a network (which will probably be more than that) to the NCAA credits and exit fees, and you get by.

I can't see why the Catholic schools are entitled to exit fees. Why would they be? They left. They didn't dissolve the conference. That money should go to 3 schools.

As for the NCAA credits, they will be divided up among more than just 10 schools. The Catholics will get their share and then the remaining share will gradually be divided, year by year, among all the new BE schools. Remember, they are leaving NCAA credits behind, so they get BE credits.

Add it all up and UConn has a cushion for 5 years mainly because of its licensing and exit fees.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are way over estimating what UConn is going to get. The Catholics are going to time their actual departure on getting as much of the exit fees as they can. Why do you think there are so few details right now on what the C7 league is going to be?

Reaction Score
You are way over estimating what UConn is going to get. The Catholics are going to time their actual departure on getting as much of the exit fees as they can. Why do you think there are so few details right now on what the C7 league is going to be?

There is a stipulation that says as soon as you announce your intention to leave, you are effectively outside the conference structure. You get what you contracted for: TV + bowl revs, and in the CYO7s' case, they also are guaranteed the remaining fees owed. They are gone after the end of next season. The exit fees will still be there. Heck, Ville, ND and Rutgers haven't even paid theirs yet.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is a stipulation that says as soon as you announce your intention to leave, you are effectively outside the conference structure. You get what you contracted for: TV + bowl revs, and in the CYO7s' case, they also are guaranteed the remaining fees owed. They are gone after the end of next season. The exit fees will still be there. Heck, Ville, ND and Rutgers haven't even paid theirs yet.

I don't think the schools know what they are going to be able to recoup in exit fees never mind message board posters but let's assume that UConn gets one third of that 68 million in exit fees.

So that 23 million makes up the gap for a couple of years. It doesn't change the end game. Either be in at least the ACC or die. That you kicked it down the road 2-3 years doesn't change the outcome, it just slows the bleeding and keeps the patient on life support longer.

The BTN just set a monthly ratings record. In January. The revenue gap is going to become so stark so quickly that the one time pay day is going to be a sweet severance package. Sure the immediate future isn't so bad - but once it runs out the reality is stark.

Reaction Score
I don't think the schools know what they are going to be able to recoup in exit fees never mind message board posters but let's assume that UConn gets one third of that 68 million in exit fees.

So that 23 million makes up the gap for a couple of years. It doesn't change the end game. Either be in at least the ACC or die. That you kicked it down the road 2-3 years doesn't change the outcome, it just slows the bleeding and keeps the patient on life support longer.

The BTN just set a monthly ratings record. In January. The revenue gap is going to become so stark so quickly that the one time pay day is going to be a sweet severance package. Sure the immediate future isn't so bad - but once it runs out the reality is stark.

And the NCAA credits and the licensing and the money from TV (as little as it is) and the BCS bowl money (which also goes to the 3 schools) and the fact that the ACC only makes about $13 to $14 now,.

Why compare to the B1G? That's not happening. The comparison is to the ACC. UConn has 5 years before it starts bleeding really badly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And the NCAA credits and the licensing and the money from TV (as little as it is) and the BCS bowl money (which also goes to the 3 schools) and the fact that the ACC only makes about $13 to $14 now,.

Why compare to the B1G? That's not happening. The comparison is to the ACC. UConn has 5 years before it starts bleeding really badly.

UConn's closest peer and recruiting rival is Rutgers so the Big 10 gap matters.

I think it's more like 2-3 years before the gap is huge but we'll see how the dollars are divided. I think it's extremely optimistic to assume that some of the money is only divided by three.

Reaction Score
UConn's closest peer and recruiting rival is Rutgers so the Big 10 gap matters.

I think it's more like 2-3 years before the gap is huge but we'll see how the dollars are divided. I think it's extremely optimistic to assume that some of the money is only divided by three.

Are you huskydanning this stuff with the B1G? Because the B1G has more money than the ACC too? And, in fact, it's had more money than the BE and ACC for a long time. The schools are already at $25m compared to the ACC's $13m and the BE's $3m or whatever. A lot of good it's doing Minnesota and Indiana etc. The point is, UConn can't survive for long doing this, but it does have a buffer.

1. $2-3m in TV rights
2. $8m more in licensing than the ACC schools not including the privates (which don't report financials, and not including Pitt because it's not listed, probably because of PA reporting laws).
UConn makes $16m more than Rutgers in licensing
3. Split $70m+ in NCAA credits 2 ways for the two different factions, that's $35m each. UConn will share that with 10 schools starting in 2014-2015. So for 2 years, the 3 remaining schools should receive 2/5ths of $70m (I think I read that the NCAA doles out the credits over a span of 5 years, so I assume the BE does too, but I could be wrong). So that's $6.5m over the next 5 years.
4. BCS bowl revs split among 3 schools (if the payoff is end of year): $6m each
5. $68m in exit fees (not counting Rutgers, ND, Louisville, who haven't paid). If the 3 get this, that's $22.3m.

So, one shot deals: $34.8m to each of the remaining schools not counting exit fees to come. Almost $7m a year.

Recurring yearly: $2-3m + licensing advantage over average ACC school: $10-11m

Total of $17-18m.

ACC schools have $13-14m + whatever BCS bowl revs and NCAA credits will be doled out among 15-16 schools. Assume $1.2m for BCS and a little less in NCAA credits (because ACC hasn't gotten many teams in): $50m divided by 16 teams, or $3m per team.

UConn should be par with the average ACC team over the next 5 years. After that, UConn falls over a cliff. This doesn't even take into account the exit fees which the former BE's are out.

Reaction Score
You don't have a single source that shows how the Big East money is being divided. You've just decided that it's split 3 ways. That is an awfully aggressive assumption.

Your boy Blauds surmises it's not going to three teams if you follow the links here.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...problem-of-catholic-7-leaving-big-east-money/

Your reading comprehension is close to nil.

1. I didn't divide it among 3 teams.
2. I've already said we don't know how the exit fees are being divided. I read through the bylaws. It's not in there. There is stuff in there about NCAA credits. That's why I divided those up. It's interesting to see that they made a special case about dividing credits. But not exit fees. Probably because those fees revert to the conference, and not the departing schools. In fact, the lack of mention tell us something else. The utility of dissolving the conference would be practically redundant if all the assets could be split up per the bylaws regardless of dissolution.

Reaction Score
I'm all for Senatorial intervention, it's Blumenthal that I don't have any faith in. I just don't think he can get it done.

I wouldn't have faith in any of the POLITICANS in DC that represents CT voters

CL82

Reaction Score
Man I wish I was negotiating the exit fee issue with the C7 for the league. It would pretty much go like this:

Reaction Score
Blumenthal should sit down with a senator from a few key states in the next few days and tell her to deliver the following message to the respective BCS commissioners:

1) Either UConn is in the ACC in 3 months, or he will burn college football to the ground.
2) He will get whatever subcommittee chairmanship he need to continue hearings on the anti-competitive BCS.
3) He will badger Obama's anti-trust division to investigate the anti-competitive BCS. This means that criminal penalties attach if there is found to be anti-competitive behavior.
4) He will start an investigation into the tax status of the BCS.

And when some smartass reporter asks Blumenthal if he has something more important to do, Blumenthal can honestly answer "no". Murphy can help him.

There is no reason to play nice any more. There is no reason to "wait for next time", because this was next time and it didn't happen. This is time for extortion and blackmail by our state's most powerful elected officials. Give them 3 months, then burn the entire sport to the ground.

Blumenthal saved the Big East's BCS bid 9 years ago, it is time for him to save UConn today.
Now is the time for Blumenthal to STFU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Now is the time for Blumenthal to STFU.

You would rather UConn's athletic program die quietly than use every resource available, just because one of those resources happens to have a "D" next to his name. Got it.

Reaction Score
You would rather watch UConn's athletic program drown than let a Democrat help it out. What is wrong with you?
First of all I am not a Republican, I am an independant and have no prejudice against either party. Blumenthal will sue anybody if it will get his name in the headlines and he has. Remember the lawsuit he filed when the first schools departed the BE? It really angered some people in the ACC and is probably the reason Louisville is in the ACC. Blumenthal is a whiney weakling who loves projecting the image of a tough guy.If Uconn needs an advocate chose somebody else.

Reaction Score
Comments I've heard from several sources (as silly as it sounds) confirm what Danzz says.

CL82

Reaction Score
Comments I've heard from several sources (as silly as it sounds) confirm what Danzz says.
Any of those sources reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits