Not that angry about today's loss | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not that angry about today's loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nelson, doesn't the lack of in game adjustment bother you? It kills me.

Once the Temple defense started covering the center of the field (and blitzing a bit more) the UConn coaches were out of ammo. They had three quarters to adjust. To find something that worked. They never did, they ran the same plays that worked in the first quarter and ignored the results. It was a TERRIBLE offense for 3 quarters - 0 Points, you can't do worse.

Delorenzo wasn't better than McCombs but he wasn't any worse. He moved the pile, didn't really break any tackles and showed the same lack of vision (never seeing the cutback) that McCombs shows. I say, next man up, Joe Williams.

I agree until you spoke about the running game... DeLorenzo was better at breaking tackles and moving the pile! Ok he might of missed some cutbacks and showed a lack of vision, but this was his first game starting and had almost 100 yards 4.0 yards a carry! There's no excuses for McCombs to miss cutbacks and show poor vision this years as this is his second year playing and showed nothing... no excuses!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson-

I feel you are delusional and need therapy. while it's always nice to see the potential for lemonade in lemons, this is as bad as it can get without being BCU. if you feel the need to pull positives out of this the only positive is that we're 1 step closer to a new head coach.

Both teams are trying to win and Temple doesn't suck. The offense continued to move the ball after Q1, but was done in by terrible kicking.

My problem is that so many posters on this board only see things in terms of awesome or terrible. UConn is deep into the gray area, and teams like UConn are rarely going to dominate. Overall, yesterday was not a terrible performance against a Temple team that is 50/50 going to have a winning record in the Big East. UConn should have won that game, as it should have beat WMU and NC State. WMU had a pro prospect at QB when UConn played them and NC State beat FSU. UConn is 12 points away from 6-1. To claim that the team is terrible just reeks of utter ignorance.

UConn isn't getting its doors blown off, it is having trouble pulling out close games against other programs among the 26th to 75th best programs in the country. If you can't tell the difference between UConn and a terrible program, you should stop posting on football.

Reaction Score
Both teams are trying to win and Temple doesn't suck. The offense continued to move the ball after Q1, but was done in by terrible kicking.

My problem is that so many posters on this board only see things in terms of awesome or terrible. UConn is deep into the gray area, and teams like UConn are rarely going to dominate. Overall, yesterday was not a terrible performance against a Temple team that is 50/50 going to have a winning record in the Big East. UConn should have won that game, as it should have beat WMU and NC State. WMU had a pro prospect at QB when UConn played them and NC State beat FSU. UConn is 12 points away from 6-1. To claim that the team is terrible just reeks of utter ignorance.

UConn isn't getting its doors blown off, it is having trouble pulling out close games against other programs among the 26th to 75th best programs in the country. If you can't tell the difference between UConn and a terrible program, you should stop posting on football.
That's certainly one way to look at it. Not irrational. There are others.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I would agree that UConn is in the gray area, the mushy middle that's populated by non-top 15, non-bottom 10 teams (actually most of FBS) . And maybe Nelson is right that were not quite as bad as it's being portrayed...possibly. But I didn't see enough to say the program is on an upward track. Or to even say the program has at least halted it's downward slide. Maybe we aren't sliding as fast, but we are still sliding.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

pj

Reaction Score
Temple doesn't suck but they have no passing attack and their defense, though valiant, is shy on talent. It really should be a win 90% of the time. Yet Temple outplayed UConn throughout the second half. It seemed like only a matter of time before they took the lead. Unfortunately the game lasted long enough that they were able to do it. I had a similar feeling in the second half against Maryland, but we made enough plays to pull out the win in that one. Still doesn't make me feel good that the balance of play seems to shift toward the opponent as the game progresses.

Reaction Score
Starting out 14-0 means the coaches did a great job game planning. We knew how to attack and exploit the defense. Having to settle for 4 field goal attempts the rest of the game means we couldn't adjust to their adjustments. Win or lose, that's an example of poor game day coaching. Having a 4-7 record in games decided by 1 score is a track record of poor game day coaching.

Waylon can choose to take a moral victory, but if you look at the track record of the coaching in close games and their inability to make in game adjustments, there is ample evidence to call for a change to be made at the end of the year.

(If this game was coached by the prior guy rather than the current guy waylon would be first in line to call for his job.)

Reaction Score

Or put another way, Uconn is 10 points away from being 1-6 ...so let's just say Uconn is 3-4 and just lost at home to Temple

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Starting out 14-0 means the coaches did a great job game planning. We knew how to attack and exploit the defense. Having to settle for 4 field goal attempts the rest of the game means we couldn't adjust to their adjustments. Win or lose, that's an example of poor game day coaching. Having a 4-7 record in games decided by 1 score is a track record of poor game day coaching.

Waylon can choose to take a moral victory, but if you look at the track record of the coaching in close games and their inability to make in game adjustments, there is ample evidence to call for a change to be made at the end of the year.

(If this game was coached by the prior guy rather than the current guy waylon would be first in line to call for his job.)

I am not taking a moral victory. I am pointing out that many of our fans are idiots when they say the team and staff sucks.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I am not taking a moral victory. I am pointing out that many of our fans are idiots when they say the team and staff sucks.

So we're the idiots for saying that a team coming off a 5-7 season, that is currently 3-4, with losses to Western Michigan and Temple, and 7 point home win vs. Buffalo sucks? Just checking.

Reaction Score
Since most of the vitriol is saved for GDL and P indirectly, I think you're an idiot who is intentionally misrepresenting people's opinions. But that's just you being you.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So we're the idiots for saying that a team coming off a 5-7 season, that is currently 3-4, with losses to Western Michigan and Temple, and 7 point home win vs. Buffalo sucks? Just checking.

Yep, just like the same fans are using the fact that UConn went to a BCS game in 2010 is evidence that the program had reached some pinnacle of greatness. That was a very mediocre team that finished tied for first in the worst BCS conference in history, and only finished tied for first because Bill Stewart handed UConn the single worst coached game I have ever seen. BTW, that UConn team lost to a Temple team by 2 TD's that is no where near as good as this year's edition of the same program.

Wins and losses are ultimately all that matter, but the "why" of the wins and losses is important for determining the right direction for the program. Or you could just say "this team sucks".

Reaction Score
Yep, just like the same fans are using the fact that UConn went to a BCS game in 2010 is evidence that the program had reached some pinnacle of greatness. That was a very mediocre team that finished tied for first in the worst BCS conference in history, and only finished tied for first because Bill Stewart handed UConn the single worst coached game I have ever seen. BTW, that UConn team lost to a Temple team by 2 TD's that is no where near as good as this year's edition of the same program.

Wins and losses are ultimately all that matter, but the "why" of the wins and losses is important for determining the right direction for the program. Or you could just say "this team sucks".

Totally agree with your post, but would you bring P and D back? Do you think P will part ways with D? I believe his insistence on having him on his staff is going to hurt his chances, and as much as I think it would be unfair to let him go before the players he recruited see the field, I fear that season tickets will take a serious hit. There is A LOT of grumblings in the stands about the coaching.

Reaction Score

Yup.

We suck.

THe only question is what's going to be done about it.

Trying to rationalize somehow that we don't suck? That went out the window with the 14 point lead that turned into a 17-14 OT loss to Temple on our home field.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Totally agree with your post, but would you bring P and D back? Do you think P will part ways with D? I believe his insistence on having him on his staff is going to hurt his chances, and as much as I think it would be unfair to let him go before the players he recruited see the field, I fear that season tickets will take a serious hit. There is A LOT of grumblings in the stands about the coaching.

This thread contains the only remotely positive post I have ever made about Deleone, because I think he didn't call an awful game against Temple. Otherwise, I think every aspect of his coaching is an anachronism.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I don't think anyone points to the BCS Bowl appearance and says, well that's it, we've reached the mountain top. I agree, that team wasn't very good. It got hot and won some key home games. Winning the conference is still a great accomplishment in my book, but doesn't make you a world beater, obviously.

I agree with you that the "why of the wins and losses" is critical as well in evaluating the team/season. For my money, the best UConn team, by far, was the 2009 team that won the Papa John's Bowl. I felt like that team could have stepped on the field with the majority of the Top 25 and given them a game. Yet all that being said, we finished 8-5 (3-4).

The past two years the teams/program are going in the wrong direction. Aside from the defense in the majority of the games this season and the offense in short bursts here and there, these two teams are significantly worse than anything we've seen since 2006. I really don't see how you can look at this team and think otherwise.

The only glimmer of hope for the rest of this season is to continue to monitor Whitmer's progress as I do think he can be decent for UConn in the next two seasons.

pj

Reaction Score
Carl, the reason we suck is that we haven't settled on an offensive identity that makes good use of what playmakers we have, and consistently practiced that identity for 3 months.

They should have figured out their identity in spring ball and been practicing it continually since August.

There's no way to get lost time back. But what we can do is settle on an identity and develop it. That starts today.

I think 6-6 is probably out of reach but there's still time for P to give the fans hope.

I say P, not GDL, because DeLeone may be constitutionally incapable of sticking to a single strategic plan, unless that plan involves running 60% of the time.

Reaction Score
Carl, the reason we suck is that we haven't settled on an offensive identity that makes good use of what playmakers we have, and consistently practiced that identity for 3 months.

They should have figured out their identity in spring ball and been practicing it continually since August.

There's no way to get lost time back. But what we can do is settle on an identity and develop it. That starts today.

I think 6-6 is probably out of reach but there's still time for P to give the fans hope.

I say P, not GDL, because DeLeone may be constitutionally incapable of sticking to a single strategic plan, unless that plan involves running 60% of the time.

Preaching to the choir, if you're talking to me....not telling me anything I don't already see......hopefully other people are getting it.

Reaction Score

You make some good points and this is the scenario that I really want to believe can salvage some hope for the future. The other likely scenario is that Dr Feelgood was working this weekend and you and Nelson got the first shipment.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You make some good points and this is the scenario that I really want to believe can salvage some hope for the future. The other likely scenario is that Dr Feelgood was working this weekend and you and Nelson got the first shipment.

What is it like to live in a world where there is only black and white?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone points to the BCS Bowl appearance and says, well that's it, we've reached the mountain top. I agree, that team wasn't very good. It got hot and won some key home games. Winning the conference is still a great accomplishment in my book, but doesn't make you a world beater, obviously.

I agree with you that the "why of the wins and losses" is critical as well in evaluating the team/season. For my money, the best UConn team, by far, was the 2009 team that won the Papa John's Bowl. I felt like that team could have stepped on the field with the majority of the Top 25 and given them a game. Yet all that being said, we finished 8-5 (3-4).

The past two years the teams/program are going in the wrong direction. Aside from the defense in the majority of the games this season and the offense in short bursts here and there, these two teams are significantly worse than anything we've seen since 2006. I really don't see how you can look at this team and think otherwise.

The only glimmer of hope for the rest of this season is to continue to monitor Whitmer's progress as I do think he can be decent for UConn in the next two seasons.

I agree on the 2009 team. That team was really, really good, and got snakebit a few times and was also the victim of bad coaching on several occasions. It also was playing in a very good Big East.

I think the program has flatlined since Orlovsky left, with a couple of blips like 2007 and 2009 where an individual team was a little better than average. UConn has a losing record in Big East play, and only Syracuse has a worse Big East record since 2005. UConn has not shown any meaningful improvement as a program since 2003. Edsall made the program competitive fairly quickly, and then tread water for the next 7 years.

Putting this team's performance in that perspective, what is the plan? Pasqualoni is a worse game coach than Edsall, but likely a better recruiter. We won't see the benefit of the latter until we have suffered through the former. Most likely, we are seeing a simply normal variance around a mean that no one is particularly happy with.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz...P and GD suck. You have to be kidding. We lost at home to freaking Temple, to WMU on the road and at home, Vanderbilt on the road and Iowa State at home and those coaches don't suck? These are amongst the worst possible FBS programs we can lose to. All within a year and a half. With Edsall, we'd have won at least two or three of those games. No one directly associated with the program takes this loss lightly.

Personally, I have no need to go nuts. I leave that to the professionals. They'll dictate what we are, after all. It sucks that we might be stuck with another season of Pasqualoni. Our next step to evolve as a program (after firing P) is start beating top 25 programs.

As for our record in the Big East, maybe the Big East is better than people have been thinking. The Big East does have a winning record against the SEC in the BCS era. We have a better bowl record than the ACC too, right? Would have been nice if we beat Wake Forest in the Car Care Bowl. They had a better QB than we did. If we can land solid QB and WRs, we are good to go. We've proven we can play defense and run the ball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Edsall's last four years with 33 wins and a winning Big East record were neither 'improvement' over 04-06 or merely treading water over 7 years than what is 8-11 headed towards 9-15? Random variance around a mean - LOL.

Reaction Score
This is what it's come to? Not being that angry over a home loss to Temple?

Sadly yes. This is what happens when a program hires a retread. This was the signature move that screamed that UConn had flown close enough to the sun and was willing to slow the pace down. Pasqualoni should do the honorable thing (if he cares at all about the program) and resign. This afternoon would be good.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Edsall's last four years with 33 wins and a winning Big East record were neither 'improvement' over 04-06 or merely treading water over 7 years than what is 8-11 headed towards 9-15? Random variance around a mean - LOL.

Why do only the last 4 count? What's wrong with his entire Big East track record? He had two winning seasons in the Big East, and one of those years the Big East went 3-12 in non-conference games against BCS competition.

He left the program with no FBS caliber QB or RB, mediocre WR's and no depth at offensive line. The cupboard wasn't quite bare, but there weren't too many unopened boxes either.

And of course this genius coach of yours lost his only head to head matchup against the coach you want to fire.

Pasqualoni has not done a good job, but the claims that the program was in great shape when he took over are idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom