Not that angry about today's loss | The Boneyard

Not that angry about today's loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
1) UConn was missing its starting TB

2) UConn put up a lot of yards, including 293 yards passing despite having no credible running threat.

3) Temple has been playing well this year, with losses to decent Maryland and Penn State teams, and a win over a talented USF squad.

4) UConn missed 4 FG's. Not a lot anyone but the kicker can do about 4 missed FG's. It was just one of those games.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I'm not as angry either but I think that has more to do with apathy setting in than anything else. Getting up at 4:00am to watch a football game like this was very difficult to justify.

I'm not going to be one of the hindsight is 20/20 coaches. I didn't think the playcalling today was particularly horrible with the exception of the wildcat plays (again). Lots of miscommunications between Whitmer and receivers (which we are lucky were not picked off). Our OL was really bad after the 1st quarter (I still can't get over allowing a sack on a 3 man rush - and it wasn't a coverage kind of sack either). And our kicker had a horrible day.

At least our next game is on at 11:00am local time. And it will still be better (marginally) than the typical Australian free to air programming at that time.

Reaction Score
And let's not expect a stomping win against Syracuse. They are a pretty good team this year with an explosive offense! Syracuse loses came to:

North Western (42-41)
#2 USC (42-29)
Minnesota (17-10)
#20 Rutgers (23-15) we only scored 3 points!

Syracuse won't be a push over... We couldn't even beat Temple at home!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is what it's come to? Not being that angry over a home loss to Temple?

How many yards are acceptable? Should the coach be fired for not having 300 yards passing? Should a coach be fired after every loss?

The team moved the ball today better than it has against any legitimate team all season, and did it without their starting tailback. They played hard the whole game, and got snakebit by an absurd 4 missed FG's. Temple is coming off a win over USF, and has a fighting chance at finishing above .500 in the Big East.

This is the first game all season that I felt the offense was really working. Passing on first down kept the safeties back, loosening up the defense for the running game. I think Pasqualoni has done a lousy job, but I think lots of posters have unrealistic expectations. We may have 1-2 NFL caliber juniors or seniors on this roster. The rest of the talent isn't terrible, but it is what it is. The Big East is as good this year as it has been since 2009. UConn is going to lose some games.

I hope that Deleone sees the success he had today and keeps it up when McCombs returns. This was not a terrible offense today. Pasqualoni's record in close games is a bad 4-7 in games decided by 8 points or less. He has to find a way to steal some wins in close games.

Reaction Score
This thread pretty much sums up the sad state affairs that is UConn football right now. Thanks again Jeff.

Reaction Score
How many yards are acceptable? Should the coach be fired for not having 300 yards passing? Should a coach be fired after every loss?

The team moved the ball today better than it has against any legitimate team all season, and did it without their starting tailback. They played hard the whole game, and got snakebit by an absurd 4 missed FG's. Temple is coming off a win over USF, and has a fighting chance at finishing above .500 in the Big East.

This is the first game all season that I felt the offense was really working. Passing on first down kept the safeties back, loosening up the defense for the running game. I think Pasqualoni has done a lousy job, but I think lots of posters have unrealistic expectations. We may have 1-2 NFL caliber juniors or seniors on this roster. The rest of the talent isn't terrible, but it is what it is. The Big East is as good this year as it has been since 2009. UConn is going to lose some games.

I hope that Deleone sees the success he had today and keeps it up when McCombs returns. This was not a terrible offense today. Pasqualoni's record in close games is a bad 4-7 in games decided by 8 points or less. He has to find a way to steal some wins in close games.

I agree the offense was the best its been all year, but the wildcat turning a manageable 2nd and 3, into a third and six, really? Followed by a missed FG from a kicker who had already missed two on the day? I just don't get it.

UConn is going to lose some games? That much is obvious, the question is will we win ONE from here on out.

Montell Harris, I would love to have RB like that on this team. One that isn't an absolute lock to be tackled by the first guy who looks at him. Delorenzo was decent yesterday, but on a few of those wide runs we saw a lack of footspeed.

Reaction Score
Nelson, doesn't the lack of in game adjustment bother you? It kills me.

Once the Temple defense started covering the center of the field (and blitzing a bit more) the UConn coaches were out of ammo. They had three quarters to adjust. To find something that worked. They never did, they ran the same plays that worked in the first quarter and ignored the results. It was a TERRIBLE offense for 3 quarters - 0 Points, you can't do worse.

Delorenzo wasn't better than McCombs but he wasn't any worse. He moved the pile, didn't really break any tackles and showed the same lack of vision (never seeing the cutback) that McCombs shows. I say, next man up, Joe Williams.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
This thread pretty much sums up the sad state affairs that is UConn football right now. Thanks again Jeff.

Why the pessimism? Its my understanding that SMU, SDST and nbcsports are on the way to take the conference national and save UConn's immediate athletic future.

Reaction Score

Once the Temple defense started covering the center of the field (and blitzing a bit more) the UConn coaches were out of ammo. They had three quarters to adjust. To find something that worked. They never did, they ran the same plays that worked in the first quarter and ignored the results. It was a TERRIBLE offense for 3 quarters - 0 Points, you can't do worse.

Delorenzo wasn't better than McCombs but he wasn't any worse. He moved the pile, didn't really break any tackles and showed the same lack of vision (never seeing the cutback) that McCombs shows. I say, next man up, Joe Williams.

100% agree with this post.

Reaction Score

2) UConn put up a lot of yards, including 293 yards passing despite having no credible running threat.

3) Temple has been playing well this year, with losses to decent Maryland and Penn State teams, and a win over a talented USF squad.

4) UConn missed 4 FG's. Not a lot anyone but the kicker can do about 4 missed FG's. It was just one of those games.

It seems nearly every week, has become "just one of those games". That is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
Our only undefeated season is in 1924. Would be nice to have another one.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I am very angry that Chris Peterson is not our coach. We should shut the program down as a result.

Seriously, I think the screeching of the past 24 hours shows a total ignorance of football, because in reality this was not a terrible game from a coaching standpoint.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Our only undefeated season is in 1924. Would be nice to have another one.

We get it, you think the 1920's matter. Nobody else does, get over it and move on.

Reaction Score
I am very angry that Chris Peterson is not our coach. We should shut the program down as a result.

Seriously, I think the screeching of the past 24 hours shows a total ignorance of football, because in reality this was not a terrible game from a coaching standpoint.

It is a terrible game from a coaching standpoint when we can not make the adjustments necessary to mount a drive to the redzone after the end of the first quarter. It is terrible. This was not the 85 Chicago Bears we were playing. This was Temple, a defense that other teams do manage to move the ball on. And score. What makes this even more a terrible coaching job is that it is the same coaching job that we have been witnessing for the last 4 or 5 weeks. As someone else, Palatine?, posted, we are not able to score touchdowns in the second half of play. One against Buffalo. We get gameplanned by the opposing coaches. They gameplan how to stop us. There is no vice versa. I think that's coaching.

Reaction Score
Of course Nelson isn't angry. Reading his posts he seems to be more of a fan of the Big East than UConn. He is probably happy because he wants a strong Temple for his beloved Big East.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

From the 1st quarter on, our team was totally out-coached and shut down by Temple. By Temple, at home.

Temple made an adjustment, we didn't. The rest of the game you would have thought we were playing the 1985 Bears.

It doesn't say much about the staff that getting shut out from the 1st quarter on vs Temple was the best game of the season.

Temple isn't good. They just aren't. USF may suck just as bad as Temple. It doesn't say much that they beat them.

It's amazing that in 1.5 seasons, the bars been lowered enough that a die-hard fan (Nelson) would be somewhat satisfied with 0 points from the 2nd quarter - OT, vs an awful Temple team at home.

Guys, 19 games we came off a season where we beat West Virginia, won the conference and played in the Fiesta Bowl. Let's set our sights a little bit higher here, come on!

Reaction Score
From the 1st quarter on, our team was totally out-coached and shut down by Temple. By Temple, at home.

Temple made an adjustment, we didn't. The rest of the game you would have thought we were playing the 1985 Bears.

It doesn't say much about the staff that getting shut out from the 1st quarter on vs Temple was the best game of the season.

Temple isn't good. They just aren't. USF may suck just as bad as Temple. It doesn't say much that they beat them.

It's amazing that in 1.5 seasons, the bars been lowered enough that a die-hard fan (Nelson) would be somewhat satisfied with 0 points from the 2nd quarter - OT, vs an awful Temple team at home.

Guys, 19 games we came off a season where we beat West Virginia, won the conference and played in the Fiesta Bowl. Let's set our sights a little bit higher here, come on!

I don't get Nelson as saying he's somewhat satisfied. I get him as saying it wasn't as bad a coaching job as some are saying. And I think it was. The playcalling was improved, dramatically. But there is a leadership void. A dog takes on the personality of its master. Our personality as an offense is not good.

Reaction Score
Agree, how incredulous is this!

Two years in a row likely w/o bowl and the one bright spot (defense) devasted with seniors and this was actually a quality loss??

This is what it's come to? Not being that angry over a home loss to Temple?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't get Nelson as saying he's somewhat satisfied. I get him as saying it wasn't as bad a coaching job as some are saying. And I think it was. The playcalling was improved, dramatically. But there is a leadership void. A dog takes on the personality of its master. Our personality as an offense is not good.

For 1 quarter. Temple adjusted and then we looked like the same old offense that can't even move the ball into the red zone.

That is a huge indictment on the staff, as the 1st quarter shows we do have some talent when were put in the right position, but as soon as Temple switched it up, we looked lost. That is on the coaches.

Reaction Score

Did you leave after the first quarter?

Reaction Score

3) Temple has been playing well this year, with losses to decent Maryland and Penn State tea and a win over a talented USF squad.

Nelson-

I feel you are delusional and need therapy. while it's always nice to see the potential for lemonade in lemons, this is as bad as it can get without being BCU. if you feel the need to pull positives out of this the only positive is that we're 1 step closer to a new head coach.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

1) Rushing production was the same as the other six games, poor. We didn't miss anyone.

2) We didn't put up any points after two very nice 1Q drives. Did we switch teams or did the coaching not adjust?

3) Temple is not a team you consider a good loss under any circumstances.

4) You can score touchdowns.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
1) Rushing production was the same as the other six games, poor. We didn't miss anyone.

2) We didn't put up any points after two very nice 1Q drives. Did we switch teams or did the coaching not adjust?

3) Temple is not a team you consider a good loss under any circumstances.

4) You can score touchdowns.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
There's nothing I don't like about this response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom