Non-Key Tweets | Page 936 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Not that we have any shot of getting in to the B1G on media value alone, but can anyone explain to me how in the world we haven't gotten an invite to the AAU yet? If I look at the number of check boxes we have, it stands above many already-members.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not that we have any shot of getting in to the B1G on media value alone, but can anyone explain to me how in the world we haven't gotten an invite to the AAU yet? If I look at the number of check boxes we have, it stands above many already-members.
Much like our football stadium being in East Hartford being a negative, the AAU doesn’t like that our medschool is in Farmington.

Reaction Score
Much like our football stadium being in East Hartford being a negative, the AAU doesn’t like that our medschool is in Farmington.

It’s not just that. Indiana’s and Purdue’s joint medical school is in Indianapolis, which is 50 miles from Bloomington and 65 miles from West Lafayette while Storrs to Farmington is just 35 miles away.

As its before my time, what did UConn put a medical school and hospital in Farmington? I get that it was during suburban flight, but makes no sense. There was never going to be enough business for it to be viable in Farmington and the greater valley. Why didn’t just UConn make an alliance with Hartford Hospital, which was already established, and just build a medical school nearby.

Reaction Score
Because membership in AAU is limited and also because UConn trails many potential aspirants in the metrics that AAU considers important. Among them are federally funded research activity, endowment, number of faculty elected to membership in national academies, output of peer-reviewed publications, and so on. The line forms at the rear, though there are occasional surprises -- Notre Dame's ascension in the latest round, for example. You can see how UConn compares with other schools by going online and studying rankings of research activity, endowments, and other metrics.

Reaction Score

Fox could just reduce the cost to the other Big East schools to more than offset the additional cost of UConn going to the Big 12. If not, it supports the notion that basketball is undervalued.

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Fox had the rights for a handful more years. Hopefully Apple starts poking around.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Sorry - you left the room just left Friday and well, we figured you weren't coming back.

Reaction Score
Fox could just reduce the cost to the other Big East schools to more than offset the additional cost of UConn going to the Big 12. If not, it supports the notion that basketball is undervalued.
Big East is going to the media market this year or next year right? I hope they don't sign with Fox. With UConn, it is possible the Big East can get a pretty decent deal.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that it doesn’t matter where the med school is located. If it’s whether it is part of UConn (Storrs) or not.
Screw aau then. Who are they to tell the state where they put their med school. Bunch of idiots.

It’s a cool kids club.

Reaction Score
Screw aau then. Who are they to tell the state where they put their med school. Bunch of idiots.

It’s a cool kids club.
I don’t think the location is the issue with the AAU. For example, Nebraska has a med school in Omaha. If the Nebraska-Lincoln campus counted it as its own instead of the Nebraska-Onaha, Nebraska would probably be still be in the AAU. Other than that, I don’t understand the metrics, or frankly, the politics of AAU. They admitted four smaller schools this time around. The research may be a percentage of the school size, explaining why Brandeis, for example, has been in the AAU for a long time.

Reaction Score
I don’t think the location is the issue with the AAU. For example, Nebraska has a med school in Omaha. If the Nebraska-Lincoln campus counted it as its own instead of the Nebraska-Onaha, Nebraska would probably be still be in the AAU. Other than that, I don’t understand the metrics, or frankly, the politics of AAU. They admitted four smaller schools this time around. The research may be a percentage of the school size, explaining why Brandeis, for example, has been in the AAU for a long time.
  • ASU – One of the country’s largest schools in terms of students in a major metro area and while they do not yet have a medical school (announced in 2023), they do have $677M in R&D, which is not too far behind U Arizona ($770M) now
  • GWU – A big surprise as they are similar to crosstown rival Georgetown, which is not AAU, with a medical school and just $266M in R&D while G-town is at $280M
  • ND – Also a surprise as while a strong university, especially of undergraduates, it does not have a medical school and is not that high in research spend at $200M; feels like a reputational nomination
  • U Miami – Does a lot of research in medical and marine (total 2022 R&D spend of $375M), so no real surprise.
  • UC Riverside – Now all UC colleges with Medical Schools are in the AAU now, even of their R&D spend is low ($133), so not a surprise; more surprised that UC Santa Cruz (2019) got in without a medical school and relatively low research money ($160M)
  • USF – May not be much of a surprise when I look at the details as it is a large school with a medical school and comes in at #68 in research pending ($405M), which is surprisingly only behind UF ($960M) in Florida - U Miami $375M, Florida St. $329M, Florida Int’l $246M, Central Florida $219M

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Just the opinion of a long time CRA observer.

If there is opposition to Cal/Stanford/SMU it will have to come from someone other than FSU who has "checked out" already.

GG

Reaction Score
25 followers. Hard to NOT take him seriously. Jokes aside i feel UConn should be pitching something like this to the B1G. the Big12 and ACC.
I agree, uconn definitely has to get creative. I wonder what other basketball only schools are being referenced.

Reaction Score
I agree, uconn definitely has to get creative. I wonder what other basketball only schools are being referenced.
Honest question though: if the endgame is to be fully part of a conference, and they agreed join a big conf in bball only and FB scheduling preference, that conf has no financial incentive to add them as a full partner in the future even if FB gets better. Why would they? The conf is getting a better product for nothing. I get the risk of getting completely left without a conf. though. Not sure what is realistic anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom