Non-Key Tweets | Page 934 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Arizona, ASU, Utah..are brands...Arizona has won a Fiesta in the way back...had a 12 win season, Utah has had two undefeated seasons and multiple seasons of 10 or more wins.

UConn is a brand...but may be labelled as a basketball school.

Reaction Score
Arizona, ASU, Utah..are brands...Arizona has won a Fiesta in the way back...had a 12 win season, Utah has had two undefeated seasons and multiple seasons of 10 or more wins.

UConn is a brand...but may be labelled as a basketball school.
Truth is, going forward the big 12 and acc are battling each other for survival. Neither will be able to light a candle to the sec and big 10. With that in mind, UConn offered the Big 12 far more than the other three schools. Those schools provided a key to the past, UConn is the future. UConn offered a differential market, basketball royalty, Olympic sport excellence, and a football program that would undoubtedly grow. When UConn is competitive, the fanbase travels. When UConn is competitive, eyeballs from Boston to NYC turn on the tv. I believe Yormark recognized this. The actual voters however were still caught up with 20 years ago not 20 years from now. I can’t even tell you the last time I watched Utah and ASU in anything or Arizona in football. 75% of the northeast probabky can say the same. That won’t change. Good luck.

DGB

Reaction Score
How much are they paying Zaga, Nova, UConn ? Great BB...
Billy, you generally seem to be a bright, experienced guy. I imagine you're probably a respectful guy. Yet here you are at a tough time for a fanbase that has welcomed you on this board for years basically telling us our sports programs are worthless.

I'm not saying you need to drink the UConn Kool Aid, but how about a little respect and perhaps empathy for the fanbase that is engaged enough to provide you with a forum to discuss conference realignment.

This isn't the time to tell your hosts they are worthless.

Reaction Score
This will be unpopular, but...

There may be a disconnect with how Husky fans view the program and how others view it.

No one disputes the basketball creds of UConn, but football may not be perceived as Huskies fans see it..

Pat Forde's commentary may paint how many see UConn's football.

Lightning in a bottle? That would be an exaggeration. More accurate, perhaps, to say that Connecticut football plugged into a 120-watt bulb from 2007 to ’10. Just enough to illuminate a false beacon of hope that still faintly glows today.

The Huskies went 33–19 in that stretch, tying for the Big East championship twice and finishing fifth in the league twice. They did not win more than nine games in any season and did not win a postseason game more prestigious than the PapaJohns.com Bowl. The signature moments were beating a 2009 Notre Dame team that would fire Charlie Weis nine days later, and sliding into the Fiesta Bowl in ’10 at 8–4, having won a three-way tie for the Big East despite being outgained for the season. UConn lost that Fiesta Bowl 48–20 to Oklahoma, and coach Randy Edsall never even boarded the team flight home—he left for the Maryland job instead.

Yornark talked about betting on basketball value in the future. I am assuming that there is a lot of network input on new conference adds. The bean counters may have not wanted to put their chips on that number.

People make way way way too much about football and how hard it is to be a P5.

It's just nonsense.

And we know this because the vast majority of P5 football teams are mediocre to bad. UConn will never be a Miami or even a Wisconsin or a TCU. And that's alright.

UConn produced more than its share of NFL talent and it could easily do what Indiana and Minnesota and Iowa St etc. etc. do. We've played many of these teams in the past. For the most part, there are only 3 or 4 teams in each conference that operate at a very high level and everyone else just gets by.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Billy, you generally seem to be a bright, experienced guy. I imagine you're probably a respectful guy. Yet here you are at a tough time for a fanbase that has welcomed you on this board for years basically telling us our sports programs are worthless.

I'm not saying you need to drink the UConn Kool Aid, but how about a little respect and perhaps empathy for the fanbase that is engaged enough to provide you with a forum to discuss conference realignment.

This isn't the time to tell your hosts they are worthless.
I have had him on ignore for years now as his sole focus in life is to tell UConn fans their school cannot play with the “big boys.” Get a hobby.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have had him on ignore for years now as his sole focus in life is to tell UConn fans their school cannot play with the “big boys.” Get a hobby.
Or a life.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kind of uncalled for given what he's shared about his life on here.
Whoever it is has me blocked, apparently. So I have no idea what his backstory is. So if my snark sounds tone deaf, it probably is.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of people who come on the board troll. I've never understood the mindset that motivates someone to go on to someone else's board and denigrate them. Apparently you feel that there's a justification for that. None immediately spring to mind. Feel free to PM me with it if you'd like, otherwise...

Fresh Prince Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
We have no chance here. In listing potential candidates for the ACC, they listed the four Pac schools along with JAMES MADISON AND APPALACHIAN STATE.

We clearly don't have the value to these conferences that we think we do.
Anybody but UConn or we are not available because we’re in the Big12

Reaction Score
I’m probably dating myself, but Jake the Snake almost led Arizona State to the national title. That was a fun Rose Bowl.

Reaction Score
James Madison and Appalachian State provide way more value than UConn. Huge fanbases and always a threat to win national championships.
Kidding right?
Love JMU, daughter goes there. I hope you’re being sarcastic.

The students and fans are crazy supportive of the football program. But its still the #3 state school in VA. UConn is the flagship school in CT.
JMU isn’t bringing national audiences in any sport.

Reaction Score
Which is what makes it credible IMO. He would have loved to tweet something about UConn having no shot, but that's not what he heard at media days.
LOL. Forde’s solution for staying in the Big East and deemphasizing football is “figure out the finances.” Anyone else remember the Steve Martin bit on Saturday NIght Live: “You can be a millionaire and not pay taxes. How? First, get a million bucks.”

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
LOL. Forde’s solution for staying in the Big East and deemphasizing football is “figure out the finances.” Anyone else remember the bit Steve Martin did on Saturday NIght Live: “You can be a millionaire and not pay taxes. How? First, get a million bucks.”

A) funny quote
B) that is definitely a boomer reference

Reaction Score
The ACC already has the New England and New York markets. No reason to add us. That’s why the B12’s decisions for expansion are puzzling.
No. Could we use words more carefully. The SEC “has” the Alabama market. The ACC does not “have” the New England and New York markets. The ACC is “in” the New England and New York markets. There is a huge difference. Especially with the New York market, adding UConn would not mean the ACC “has” the New York market. It would, however, greatly strengthen the ACC in the New York market.

Being in a market gets you on cable boxes. A few years ago that was the dominant factor for a conference economically.. We are moving towards eyeballs mattering, and not just market presence.

Reaction Score
UConn is every bit as good as 80% of the fraud programs currently in the so called P5
Take a 20 year average computer rating and show me the 80% of P-5 schools who don’t have numbers better than ours. Take a 20 year average home attendance number and show me the 80% who don’t have numbers better than ours. Without looking I doubt the facts show that there are 20% of P-5 schools who aren’t ahead of us in both metics.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
LOL. Forde’s solution for staying in the Big East and deemphasizing football is “figure out the finances.” Anyone else remember the bit Steve Martin bit on Saturday NIght Live: “You can be a millionaire and not pay taxes. How? First, get a million bucks.”
You didn't finish it.

"Second, don't pay taxes. If the IRS shows up because you didn't pay taxes say 'I forgot!'".

Reaction Score
People make way way way too much about football and how hard it is to be a P5.

It's just nonsense.

And we know this because the vast majority of P5 football teams are mediocre to bad. UConn will never be a Miami or even a Wisconsin or a TCU. And that's alright.

UConn produced more than its share of NFL talent and it could easily do what Indiana and Minnesota and Iowa St etc. etc. do. We've played many of these teams in the past. For the most part, there are only 3 or 4 teams in each conference that operate at a very high level and everyone else just gets by.
If UConn is a .500 team in P4 conference the rent will be sold out every game.

Reaction Score
No. Could we use words more carefully. The SEC “has” the Alabama market. The ACC does not “have” the New England and New York markets. The ACC is “in” the New England and New York markets. There is a huge difference. Especially with the New York market, adding UConn would not mean the ACC “has” the New York market. It would, however, greatly strengthen the ACC in the New York market.

Being in a market gets you on cable boxes. A few years ago that was the dominant factor for a conference economically.. We are moving towards eyeballs mattering, and not just market presence.

Reaction Score

Businesslawyer is absolutely right here!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom