Non-Key Tweets | Page 932 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Yeah, but the Big Ten has a big enough distribution that that becomes an attractive enough alternative to schools. Remember that OR/WA barely took that deal even though they were on board a rapidly sinking ship.
I think their deal was basically agreed to earlier this year when the Big10 had vetted and cleared those schools for acceptance. This week was simply the last t crossings and i dottings.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think their deal was basically agreed to earlier this year when the Big10 had vetted and cleared those schools for acceptance. This week was simply the last t crossings and i dottings.
If that's true then there was some last minute kabuki theater because they apparently publicly rejected a partial deal offer.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Stop and think for a second.

Do you honestly believe the folks at Duke and UNC would ever vote to be in the same basketball conference as James Madison and Appalachian State?

They would let Clemson and FSU walk out the door to the B1G/SEC before that happened.

I didn't post that to show that they have a chance to get invited. I posted that to show that we're so far out of the conversation that THOSE two schools were mentioned as possibilities and we weren't.

Reaction Score
I didn't post that to show that they have a chance to get invited. I posted that to show that we're so far out of the conversation that THOSE two schools were mentioned as possibilities and we weren't.
And I posted that to show that that hypothetical is so absurd that the conversation didn't actually happen or someone's source is an abject fool.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
And I posted that to show that that hypothetical is so absurd that the conversation didn't actually happen or someone's source is an abject fool.

I'm sure it's the writer speculating. That he didn't even think to suggest UConn is a problem.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's the writer speculating. That he didn't even think to suggest UConn is a problem.
No it's not. Any idiotic writer can specular whatever they want. It has absolutely no bearing on what a conference may or may not be thinking.

To speculate that the ACC would consider James Madison and App State is so absurd, that writer loses any credibility.

It will not happen and it does not speak to anything regarding how the ACC feels about UConn as a candidate for expansion.

Reaction Score
Well...Forde was right on Arizona, AZ State, and Utah.
Not a very smart move from a business point of view. But then again, no one ever accused athletic directors or college presidents as being the sharpest knives in drawer. There’s zero value of having two teams in the same media market x 2. Especially when 3 of the 4 teams are sub 0.500 in football and are just as bad if not worse than UConn. Athletics could not have been a primary focus of the expansion.

Reaction Score
We have no chance here. In listing potential candidates for the ACC, they listed the four Pac schools along with JAMES MADISON AND APPALACHIAN STATE.

We clearly don't have the value to these conferences that we think we do.
The ACC already has the New England and New York markets. No reason to add us. That’s why the B12’s decisions for expansion are puzzling.

Reaction Score
The eastern schools are in for a lot of travel in the new big 12…also scheduling got to be hard with 16 schools …I like 11 teams in basketball..home and away games with each school

Reaction Score
No it's not. Any idiotic writer can specular whatever they want. It has absolutely no bearing on what a conference may or may not be thinking.

To speculate that the ACC would consider James Madison and App State is so absurd, that writer loses any credibility.

It will not happen and it does not speak to anything regarding how the ACC feels about UConn as a candidate for expansion.
This board is the only reason I know Sports Illustrated still exists.

Reaction Score
Not a very smart move from a business point of view. But then again, no one ever accused athletic directors or college presidents as being the sharpest knives in drawer. There’s zero value of having two teams in the same media market x 2. Especially when 3 of the 4 teams are sub 0.500 in football and are just as bad if not worse than UConn. Athletics could not have been a primary focus of the expansion.
Especially when one of these states has fewer people than Connecticut. I mean, you already have West Virginia's 1m people in your conference, you've split Kansas's 2.9m by 2, and now you split Utah's 3.3m?

One thing about ASU that people might not realize is that it has 74k students, and a huge chunk come from California. Now imagine if fewer students start going to Arizona St. The out of state tuition is responsible for a huge part of their budget. The citizens of Arizona can't support this school by themselves. Only 20% of the population of Arizona has a college degree (Connecticut by comparison is at 40%). I'm looking at these numbers and thinking this is a school ripe for a big regression.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ACC already has the New England and New York markets. No reason to add us. That’s why the B12’s decisions for expansion are puzzling.
Until 2036, they do. But ACCN will cease to exist at that point.

Reaction Score
Especially when one of these states has fewer people than Connecticut. I mean, you already have West Virginia's 1m people in your conference, you've split Kansas's 2.9m by 2, and now you split Utah's 3.3m?

One thing about ASU that people might not realize is that it has 74k students, and a huge chunk come from California. Now imagine if fewer students start going to Arizona. The out of state tuition is responsible for a huge part of their budget. The citizens of Arizona can't support this school by themselves. Only 20% of the population of Arizona has a college degree (Connecticut by comparison is at 40%). I'm looking at these numbers and thinking this is a school ripe for a big regression.
At least Kansas has a national program in basketball, they have fans everywhere. Can't say the same for anyone else in the Big 12 except for maybe BYU with the Mormons.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing about ASU that people might not realize is that it has 74k students, and a huge chunk come from California. Now imagine if fewer students start going to Arizona. The out of state tuition is responsible for a huge part of their budget. The citizens of Arizona can't support this school by themselves. Only 20% of the population of Arizona has a college degree (Connecticut by comparison is at 40%). I'm looking at these numbers and thinking this is a school ripe for a big regression.
How many of those students are full time, on the Tempe campus?

Yes, it's an enormous school and yes, a large number of full time, on campus undergrads are from California. They also have a full time campus in LA and an enormous number of part time and full time online students scattered throughout the US and the world.

ASU.EDU

A couple points from the link I attached:

• About 57,000 students are taking classes through ASU Online, compared with about 52,500 last year — an increase of more than 8%.

• Approximately 10,800 International students from 152 countries are enrolled in on-campus and online degree programs, compared with 8,600 last year, about a 25% increase.

Reaction Score
???

It's like history doesn't exist any more.

The BE contracted. We've had contraction before.

This isn't new.

The half share thing isn't new either.

Penn State took 7 years to fully vest. They had a half-share. Rutgers took even longer.

People seem to have forgotten their history.
Forgotten their history and are flat out denying history and the things happening right in front of their faces. Jay Bilas twitter is him tweeting about how ESPN never had a role in any of the stuff going on with realignment.

Reaction Score
How many of those students are full time, on the Tempe campus?

Yes, it's an enormous school and yes, a large number of full time, on campus undergrads are from California. They also have a full time campus in LA and an enormous number of part time and full time online students scattered throughout the US and the world.

ASU.EDU

A couple points from the link I attached:

• About 57,000 students are taking classes through ASU Online, compared with about 52,500 last year — an increase of more than 8%.

• Approximately 10,800 International students from 152 countries are enrolled in on-campus and online degree programs, compared with 8,600 last year, about a 25% increase.
Ah, gotcha. I didn't know any of this. They may not have any worries.

Still, for a state of 7 million, only 20% of the population finishes college.

Conn. has 1 big school, 3.6m residents, 40% finish college. I'd say the advantage for # of students goes to UConn.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ah, gotcha. I didn't know any of this. They may not have any worries.

Still, for a state of 7 million, only 20% of the population finishes college.

Conn. has 1 big school, 3.6m residents, 40% finish college. I'd say the advantage for # of students goes to UConn.
Without question.

I was more blasting ASU as an institution than anything else. As with a lot of schools I imagine that a serious student can get an education there but (from what I've been told from many colleagues who are on the west coast) it has a bit of a reputation as a glorified community college.

Reaction Score
Without question.

I was more blasting ASU as an institution than anything else. As with a lot of schools I imagine that a serious student can get an education there but (from what I've been told from many colleagues who are on the west coast) it has a bit of a reputation as a glorified community college.
It's really hard to measure schools against one another unless you do a very deep dive into the metrics, which are not available almost anywhere. And this goes double for state high school systems. Florida public schools are rated incredibly high by some measures. Had a family member with a daughter at one of the highest ranked public high schools in Florida in Jupiter. She was an A+ student down there. When my family member was transferred to Stamford, they settled in Westport and she attended Staples. I know Staples must be a stellar public school, but she was more than a year behind for her class. They had to get her tutors and she worked her butt off. It took her a full 6 months to catch up to the rest of the kids at Staples. You wouldn't know the very different level of school systems unless you did a direct test like this because all the rankings show that Florida has better public schools.

Reaction Score
They have the New York market and Boston market . Their tourney did so well In Brooklyn and no one in Boston cares

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom