Non-Key Tweets | Page 937 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

GG

Reaction Score
Honest question though: if the endgame is to be fully part of a conference, and they agreed join a big conf in bball only and FB scheduling preference, that conf has no financial incentive to add them as a full partner in the future even if FB gets better. Why would they? The conf is getting a better product for nothing. I get the risk of getting completely left without a conf. though. Not sure what is realistic anymore.
Excellent point. I would want some type of incentives to meet certain markers that could eventually lead to full membership, but you are correct in identifying that issue. The only thing we would have going for us is that an improved football program may be attractive to other conferences in the future. Being tied to the Big 12, even if it is just by a scheduling agreement, may help in changing the perception and false narrative about our football program (some people actually believe that we do not invest in football and others have said we do not even have a football team).

I do not know what other basketball only schools were being referred in his message, but if any other big east teams bolt we obviously have to as well.

Reaction Score
Honest question though: if the endgame is to be fully part of a conference, and they agreed join a big conf in bball only and FB scheduling preference, that conf has no financial incentive to add them as a full partner in the future even if FB gets better. Why would they? The conf is getting a better product for nothing. I get the risk of getting completely left without a conf. though. Not sure what is realistic anymore.
This is where SD Dave has to negotiate: Should UConn agree to join the XII as basketball only (for now) & say a 6 game football scheduling arrangement, it must be stipulated that this is a transition to full membership after a finite probationary period, (e.g. 5 years or whenever the XII's next tv contract is negotiated)

Reaction Score
As stated previously when I asked this question, if UConn pulls out of the Big East, it takes its Olympic sports to the new conference for those sports that the new conference sponsors. In this case basketball only is a euphemism meaning not football. A home will have to be found for those Olympic sports that UConn participates in & are not sponsored by the new conference.

Reaction Score
Nobody watches CBS Sports Network.
Except fans of those schools which are televised there. Currently UConn & Navy are among those who have contracts with CBS Sports Net.
I realize that you are being sarcastic, but that outlet provides availability. (Though the announcers can drive one bat crazy)

Reaction Score

Yea for that reason anything that doesn’t include football membership in the future is a non starter for me at this point.

I think the risk is minimal. I don’t buy that the big 12 is going to take other big east teams but if that does happen it’s not going to be overnight. If it becomes clear the big east is going to break up we have enough value in a basketball only situation to jump in late and get a spot.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm not sure where FSU thinks it's going to go to make more money. The B1G is probably closed for business at this point. The SEC is not in any rush to expand, and have always taken a slow measured approach to realignment. Go ahead FSU. Leave your safe harbor in the ACC and get humbled. You're not worth what you think you are, and a lot of power schools will face this harsh reality in the coming years.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He's LEGIT
And what he outlines certainly fits the narratives we have seen. Zaga/UConn has probably been the B12 preferred goal the entire time as BB only. We are the ones slowing it down- holding out for the full ticket.

Reaction Score
Except fans of those schools which are televised there. Currently UConn & Navy are among those who have contracts with CBS Sports Net.
I realize that you are being sarcastic, but that outlet provides availability. (Though the announcers can drive one bat crazy)
No sarcasm at all. There’s a reason why we get paid peanuts for our contract with CBSSN. To your point, it’s about availability, not economics. The only reason to agree to a basketball-only arrangement with the Big 12 is for scheduling purposes for football and additional visibility for our football program. If that happens, we need the exposure through FOX and ESPN, not CBSSN. In fact, the Big 12 would be crazy to allow us to show the games on CBSSN.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No sarcasm at all. There’s a reason why we get paid peanuts for our contract with CBSSN. To your point, it’s about availability, not economics. The only reason to agree to a basketball-only arrangement with the Big 12 is for scheduling purposes for football and additional visibility for our football program. If that happens, we need the exposure through FOX and ESPN, not CBSSN. In fact, the Big 12 would be crazy to allow us to show the games on CBSSN.

Are you really arguing that real estate on a cable dial matters? This is one of the most boomer arguments I have seen in weeks.

Reaction Score
Are you really arguing that real estate on a cable dial matters? This is one of the most boomer arguments I have seen in weeks.
As you may have read from some of my prior posts, I actually agree with you that the best long-term option for UConn athletics is a partnership with a streaming service who can provide a platform for our products and market our brand.

However, our best option today is membership in a Power 5 conference because that’s where the money is currently and we need money for sustainability. I agree that linear television is declining, but unless you think these companies are going bankrupt, they have contracts with the Power 5 conferences which they’ll need to honor.

The basketball-only arrangement with the Big 12 is a bad option for all sports except football unless we get a huge payout. We need great scheduling and great exposure to grow the football program. An arrangement with the Big 12 could accomplish this goal.

At the risk of going down a rathole with you, how do you disagree?

Reaction Score
Whether you call it boomer or not, the reality is that cable still outperforms streaming and it likely will until a tipping point in another 3-5 years. People with the means will continue to want cable and a conventional large screen for the ease of it and channel surfing. Media strategies have to embrace both until technology advances make streaming more user-friendly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nobody watches CBS Sports Network.
I guess and yet they're willing to pay Connecticut to put our games on there. They must've found some cash in the sock drawer or something.

Reaction Score
FWIW

I love ole Matt...the Gator beat writer...but look at Sankey's statement in the whole...

"We're very clear that there's not something out there we should be reaching for," Commissioner Greg Sankey said Tuesday on The Paul Finebaum Show while discussing the possibility of more expansion, adding that the SEC "doesn't need to be in four time zones to generate interest on the West Coast or really across the globe."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I ain't mad. If he is great. I'm just tired of "insiders".
Thing is- we have no insiders. Nothing like the other programs anyway. It would be nice to have someone that could share a bit more- stop having to glean from MN and WV and AZ etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom