Non-Key Tweets | Page 938 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
This is where SD Dave has to negotiate: Should UConn agree to join the XII as basketball only (for now) & say a 6 game football scheduling arrangement, it must be stipulated that this is a transition to full membership after a finite probationary period, (e.g. 5 years or whenever the XII's next tv contract is negotiated)
Pay our BE exit fee and minimal exit fee XII. Reflects even level of commitment.

Reaction Score
Whether you call it boomer or not, the reality is that cable still outperforms streaming and it likely will until a tipping point in another 3-5 years. People with the means will continue to want cable and a conventional large screen for the ease of it and channel surfing. Media strategies have to embrace both until technology advances make streaming more user-friendly.

Once you one button types die Cable is dunzo.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No sarcasm at all. There’s a reason why we get paid peanuts for our contract with CBSSN. To your point, it’s about availability, not economics. The only reason to agree to a basketball-only arrangement with the Big 12 is for scheduling purposes for football and additional visibility for our football program. If that happens, we need the exposure through FOX and ESPN, not CBSSN. In fact, the Big 12 would be crazy to allow us to show the games on CBSSN.
If by peanuts you mean millions of dollars over the life of the contract, yeah, it's peanuts. I'm pretty sure it's as much as some G5 conferences get in totality. Yeah, it's not SEC money, but just the fact that as an independent someone is paying us to broadcast our home games is is actually a nice statement that even after decades of being terrible in football, the Connecticut brand has value.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Are you really arguing that real estate on a cable dial matters? This is one of the most boomer arguments I have seen in weeks.

It does when linear access rates differ, at a minimum.

That being said, look at ESPN vs FS1 ratings for comparable content, and you will have your answer.

Reaction Score
I guess and yet they're willing to pay Connecticut to put our games on there. They must've found some cash in the sock drawer or something.
To be fair, they are literally only paying us cash in the sock drawer amounts. And then managed to find a play by play announcer who had literally never called a college football game (and probably never even been to one) before she started doing ours.

Reaction Score
Are you really arguing that real estate on a cable dial matters? This is one of the most boomer arguments I have seen in weeks.
That is the only reason the ACC is looking at Stanford/Cal/SMU. They are additive to the linear ACC Network. I think it is short sighted, but that’s the driver.

Reaction Score

I can’t see the higher ups at uconn doing anything this stupid..i can see them doing a money grab for all sports and a full share at the expense of our basketball

CL82

Reaction Score
To be fair, they are literally only paying us cash in the sock drawer amounts. And then managed to find a play by play announcer who had literally never called a college football game (and probably never even been to one) before she started doing ours.
Lol, I want to be critical of your last sentence, but, man, she was abysmal wasn't she? :D

That said there's a long line of teams that would love our deal, including those whose entire conference gets for all their sports. I'll tell you, it never fails to amaze me how hard New Englanders work out to find the downside about things. It's definitely not Notre Dame's NBC deal, but it's still a deal, it's still more money, it's still more exposure and all of that is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Lol, I want to be critical of your last sentence, but, man, she was abysmal wasn't she? :D

That said there's a long line of teams that would love our deal, including those whose entire conference gets for all their sports. I'll tell you, it never fails to amaze me how hard New Englanders work out to find the downside about things. It's definitely not Notre Dame's and BC deal, but it's still a deal, it's still more money, it's still more exposure and all of that is a good thing.
There is a long line of teams. But none of them are programs we are emulating or striving to be. Yes, Georgia State and Toledo and San Jose State would all take our home football exposure and money. And?

Reaction Score
I don't even want to be critical of her -- I have heard her call a basketball game and she is competent. I am amazed that CBS would put someone who had never called a game anywhere else on the air without adequate testing and training just because they had hired her to do some basketball.

Reaction Score
That is the only reason the ACC is looking at Stanford/Cal/SMU. They are additive to the linear ACC Network. I think it is short sighted, but that’s the driver.
Apparently, for reasons I don't understand, they are not willing to change their strategy 180 degrees just because Muntz thinks they're stupid. Go figure.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Whether you call it boomer or not, the reality is that cable still outperforms streaming and it likely will until a tipping point in another 3-5 years. People with the means will continue to want cable and a conventional large screen for the ease of it and channel surfing. Media strategies have to embrace both until technology advances make streaming more user-friendly.

I am saying that where you are on the cable dial has become completely irrelevant. Most people don't know and don't care what channel they are watching when they watch a game. The days of surfing through channels and stopping on ESPN are over.

Just out of a desire for survival, at some point cable is going to morph into something that looks a lot like streaming. The key point is that ESPN's monopoly on access will be broken. That is all we really need, because then it becomes a free-for-all for viewers, and I like UConn's odds in that scenario.

Reaction Score
I can’t see the higher ups at uconn doing anything this stupid..i can see them doing a money grab for all sports and a full share at the expense of our basketball
I would love it. Just so i could see the heads of people like you explode.

CL82

Reaction Score
There is a long line of teams. But none of them are programs we are emulating or striving to be. Yes, Georgia State and Toledo and San Jose State would all take our home football exposure and money. And?
Duh, why would we emulate anyone who is striving to achieve what we already have? I bet that sounded a lot more insightful in your head.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't even want to be critical of her -- I have heard her call a basketball game and she is competent. I am amazed that CBS would put someone who had never called a game anywhere else on the air without adequate testing and training just because they had hired her to do some basketball.
I'm sure they have their reasons, whether it was a desire to have their announcing staff look more inclusive, or maybe just take a talented commentator and expand her range, but I agree with you she was terrible and didn't seem thoroughly unprepared.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Non-key legit tweets
And what he outlines certainly fits the narratives we have seen. Zaga/UConn has probably been the B12 preferred goal the entire time as BB only. We are the ones slowing it down- holding out for the full ticket.

Reaction Score

I have a different opinion. I say take it as long as a football alliance is included. We can be the ND of the B12. It must run through the same timeline as the current B12 media contract. Then we will “invest” in football like there is no tomorrow. Cheat, steal, whatever it takes. It gives us 5-6 years to get this the ship turned around.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
SO true...... it's like they enjoy the carnage, SMH !

This does go to the point that all the major conferences have a few teams who the media partners know bring zero value by themselves but rather just serve as fodder and programming hours for the teams who do bring value.

Reaction Score
Honest question though: if the endgame is to be fully part of a conference, and they agreed join a big conf in bball only and FB scheduling preference, that conf has no financial incentive to add them as a full partner in the future even if FB gets better. Why would they? The conf is getting a better product for nothing. I get the risk of getting completely left without a conf. though. Not sure what is realistic anymore.
how about if there is an end game - full membership after a set period of time

Reaction Score
how about if there is an end game - full membership after a set period of time
Would be nice, but what incentive does the conf have to agree to that? In theory they could add them later if UConn FB improved. This arrangement is one sided, and imo you only consider doing something like this if you are out of options (they might be), and there is no hope of a better situation in the future.

Reaction Score
Would be nice, but what incentive does the conf have to agree to that? In theory they could add them later if UConn FB improved. This arrangement is one sided, and imo you only consider doing something like this if you are out of options (they might be), and there is no hope of a better situation in the future.
thats the point. it cant be one sided

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom