Non-Key Tweets | Page 657 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
By my sophomore year, 2004-2005, Playboy stopped including us. But that year they did give us an honorable mention and wrote the line: "We had to take the University of Connecticut off this list because we can not include professionals on a list of amateurs."

Heh the did the exact same thing with my alma mater, Lehigh. Lehigh reacted exactly like UConn did and cracked down hard when it got the reputation of being a party school.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Heh the did the exact same thing with my alma mater, Lehigh. Lehigh reacted exactly like UConn did and cracked down hard when it got the reputation of being a party school.

Yeah, schools hate that rep. But Lehigh couldn't have done too much cracking down. Colleges.niche.com, another one of those college search engines, still has Lehigh ranked 18th in the country for party school lol. UConn is nowhere to be found in the top 100. Collegeatlas.com still has Lehigh 6th, based on the Princeton Review. UConn was again unranked.

I wish our admin cracked down the way Lehigh's did.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConn was and still is very late to the liability risk management crackdown party. Most schools did away with kegs and open fraternity parties by the late 80's, early 90's.

Mine had it's own version of spring weekend, except it lasted an entire week. The fall version lasted a month, though that was a smaller more endurance driven event.

You find one freshman passed out under the student life office....Yada, yada, yada...things were never the same.

Reaction Score
84 was my freshman year too. This was soon after the time they started prohibiting kegs in the jungle and I assume other dorms. How many Schaeffer and Piels bar bottles had to make the ultimate sacrifice because of that arbitrary rule?

jho

Reaction Score
I remember bringing coolers and kegs into soccer games in the early '80s.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
84 was my freshman year too. This was soon after the time they started prohibiting kegs in the jungle and I assume other dorms. How many Schaeffer and Piels bar bottles had to make the ultimate sacrifice because of that arbitrary rule?

Yes, Kegs were banned in campus housing by at least 1985. 1984-85 had the "in transit rule", which allowed drinking in common areas/halls if you were moving somewhere at the time and not standing still. So we had "around the world parties". They banned the in transit exception in 85-86.

We beat the keg rule by parking a car with a keg in a hatchback in the back horseshoe of our dorm in Towers. We lowered a bucket in a milk-crate, held by telephone wire on the corners, from the 4th floor. Lower, fill, hoist, pour into pitchers, repeat. It's that kind of creativity they've now killed.

Reaction Score
Yes, Kegs were banned in campus housing by at least 1985. 1984-85 had the "in transit rule", which allowed drinking in common areas/halls if you were moving somewhere at the time and not standing still. So we had "around the world parties". They banned the in transit exception in 85-86.

We beat the keg rule by parking a car with a keg in a hatchback in the back horseshoe of our dorm in Towers. We lowered a bucket in a milk-crate, held by telephone wire on the corners, from the 4th floor. Lower, fill, hoist, pour into pitchers, repeat. It's that kind of creativity they've now killed.

Class of '80 (sorry dudes, but you missed it!!!!)

Reaction Score
argument against joining the new big east.

"The basketball-only approach may seem to be working for the new Big East but investments being made by schools like Virginia Tech, Auburn, Alabama, and TCU, hardly traditional hoops powers, portend a shift in basketball’s hierarchy, one driven by the massive windfalls of football revenue.
"The smartest way to “focus on basketball” these days is to make $20+ million per year playing football."
Does UConn Have a Realignment Contingency Plan?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

"The basketball-only approach may seem to be working for the new Big East but investments being made by schools like Virginia Tech, Auburn, Alabama, and TCU, hardly traditional hoops powers, portend a shift in basketball’s hierarchy, one driven by the massive windfalls of football revenue.
"The smartest way to “focus on basketball” these days is to make $20+ million per year playing football."

Except we may run completely out of money to fund football playing in the AAC. It's a crapshoot really. Just trying to stay afloat until a P5 lifeboat arrives. How we do it is an arguable point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I remember bringing coolers and kegs into soccer games in the early '80s.
Memorial stadium may have had a keg or two in the stands from time to time. Of course I have no idea who the neerdowells were who would perpetrate such a crime against humanity....

Reaction Score

I was a freshman in 85 and the older guys in the jungle (not kidding some of whom were on the 6 year plan-god I loved that place) would sing songs and tell stories about how easy kegs were. I remember the in transit rule and the boom in fake soda can label sales...could literally buy a red white and blue label that looked like a pepsi can and said "cola" on it at dairymart... god it was so much fun....

Reaction Score

Here's the thing..wouldn't it make sense (if we can make close to p5 money) to play football in C-USA for a few years and continue to build the program in hopes of getting picked up by any of the P5's---status quo in the AAC for all sports is increasingly looking like a poor option..especially if Cincy and Hou are the only two picked...Its about revenue at this point and bottom line is it needs to be maximized by any means necessary

Reaction Score

I can't like this post enough

Reaction Score
If The Big 12 takes 2 from The American - say Cincy and Houston - there is an argument to be made that the AAC is no longer the "best of the G5" conferences. Certainly the MWC would have something to say about that and The MAC could make an argument that top to bottom they are as good as an American.

So the idea that in an apocalyptic scenario, where we get left behind by the Big 12, staying in a depleted American best positions us to move up is not necessarily such a compelling argument.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Never had to deal with any of this in the mid-late 70s. The 3rd and 4th floors of Wright-A in the frats quad was Animal House before they even made the movie. We probably could have used a little more adult supervision back then. It might have helped the GPA, although most of us still manged to get through in 4 yrs.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Could not get into trouble for something the RAs or (more importantly) RDs could not see. I lived in West as a Sophomore in 1997 and a Junior accounting major on my floor was on winter internship. He came back to campus for Spring Weekend, 1/4 barrel in tow. They got it up the stairs in a hockey equipment bag and put it in the closet. We took hits off it all weekend. A week or so later, his internship ended and he returned with a second 1/4 barrel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Never had to deal with any of this in the mid-late 70s. The 3rd and 4th floors of Wright-A in the frats quad was Animal House before they even made the movie. We probably could have used a little more adult supervision back then. It might have helped the GPA, although most of us still manged to get through in 4 yrs.
That's the thing isn't? It's hard to imagine more drunken debauchery than took place while we were in school and yet the bulk of us got out in 4 and many of us with pretty decent GPA's.

Of course when I speak of drunken debauchery, I am only relating the 3rd party accounts. Personally, I spent my time in school studying... and praying. (As to that last part I do distinctly remember hearing quite a few "oh gods.")

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Hasn't that really declined since Suzie and Co took over?

"There will be no more fun of any kind!" - Dean "Vernon Wormer", "Faber College", circa 1962.

I am really bummed to find out that my beloved alma mater has turned into a depressingly joyless place, devoid of all the revelry that makes life worth living. No wonder the B12 may not want us.

In the 70's I honestly cannot recall there being ANY rules about anything. One cold night in mid-January my roommate and I rode down the elevator in Eddy Hall to go streaking. The head RA actually opened the door for us to go outside. On another occasion, my girlfriend got so drunk at a football game I couldn't get her out of the stadium. The UCONN police came up and helped me walk her down the stairs, gave us a ride back to the dorm, and made sure she was going to be OK. They were like glorified baby sitters back then, super nice and polite.

I'm mortified.

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 4h4 hours ago
Small tidbit from my source: B12 has approved BYU's updated Code of Honor. 11 and 12 are set.

nathanmills ‏@nathanmills 4h4 hours ago
@MH ver3 and 12 is?

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 3h3 hours ago
@nathanmills as I said before: Cincy and BYU. UH was only getting in this round if BYU didn't play ball.

AAC could be in big trouble. Uconn could leave even if they don't get picked by B12. Exploring rejoining BE in Olympics and going Indy in FB

FatherOfRog ‏@MasterInsider 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 already knew that

@MasterInsider I didn't. Have yet to confer with my AAC source but I just checked my dms and had a ton about this.

Personally I think it's Uconn jut exploring all options as my source is pretty confident they get in B12 after season.

HoustonCentrikSports ‏@HoustonCentrikS 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 I read MAC or CUSA for FB

@HoustonCentrikS that'd be a huge step down but I read that too.

Nick Riley ‏@NickRiley117 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 @HoustonCentrikS MAC or CUSA would be a disaster

Sent my AAC contact a text. He responded. Says we will talk tonight and that AAC is in meltdown right now.

Ron Funk ‏@TheRealRonFunk 3h3 hours agoCorona, CA
@MH ver3 Referring to the change announced last week, or is there another change to be announced?

Mountaineer Steve ‏@Mountaineer_Ste 2h2 hours agoIrmo, SC
@MH ver3 if your sources says UCONN might go indy in FB, then the rest of his/her information can't be taken seriously.

@TheRealRonFunk not sure. I'll ask.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
@Mountaineer_Ste reread my tweets. I was repeating what others had inboxed me.

Reaction Score
"There will be no more fun of any kind!" - Dean "Vernon Wormer", "Faber College", circa 1962.

I am really bummed to find out that my beloved alma mater has turned into a depressingly joyless place, devoid of all the revelry that makes life worth living. No wonder the B12 may not want us.

In the 70's I honestly cannot recall there being ANY rules about anything. One cold night in mid-January my roommate and I rode down the elevator in Eddy Hall to go streaking. The head RA actually opened the door for us to go outside. On another occasion, my girlfriend got so drunk at a football game I couldn't get her out of the stadium. The UCONN police came up and helped me walk her down the stairs, gave us a ride back to the dorm, and made sure she was going to be OK. They were like glorified baby sitters back then, super nice and polite.

I'm mortified.

You should be. It's a shame - there really isn't a party scene anymore. 2010 was the last year with anything resembling old UConn.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
You should be. It's a shame - there really isn't a party scene anymore. 2010 was the last year with anything resembling old UConn.

:(:mad::confused::eek:

UConnNick

Reaction Score
That's the thing isn't? It's hard to imagine more drunken debauchery than took place while we were in school and yet the bulk of us got out in 4 and many of us with pretty decent GPA's.

Of course when I speak of drunken debauchery, I am only relating the 3rd party accounts. Personally, I spent my time in school studying... and praying. (As to that last part I do distinctly remember hearing quite a few "oh gods.")

You cannot be expected to study effectively if you're not relaxed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom