Non-Key Tweets | Page 659 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
wow, WNPR way out in front of this story
Lol. There were a couple of interesting nuggets in there:

"The indication that UConn officials have received from the Big 12 people is that they actually like that UConn is not publicly lobbying," said Paul Doyle, sports writer for the Hartford Courant.

Last week, however, the Big 12 tipped their hand - just a little. Only two schools - the University of Houston and the University of Connecticut were contacted directly by Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby with directions on how to formally apply for membership

I don't think the last one is accurate, but if it were, it would be good news.

Reaction Score
Yeah I was thinking I saw that Cinnci got one as well, but that was that they found a letter from Cinnci to the Big12. But it's likely more have gotten one and it's just a matter of people doing the right foia equivalent request for each school to find it, but Houston and UConn seem to be the only ones found, though Blauds doesn't give direct proof only that a "source familiar with the process" told him while the Houston one has actually been seen and published by the AP

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Right!
What we saw:
-Bowlsby's Letter to UH Pres.
-Cinci Pres. Letter to Bowlsby expressing interest

What we heard:
-Blauds claiming that UConn got the same letter from Bowlsby that UH got.

The NPR article is basically relying on third party information, and doing the due diligence via FOIA's of finding out if other schools also received the Bowlsby letter.

Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut appears to be on the short list of schools being considered to join the Big 12 Athletic Conference. Since the Big 12 voted earlier this summer to explore an expansion, 20 schools have emerged as possible candidates, including Brigham Young University, the University of Cincinnati, Boise State, and UConn.

Ah yes, the short list of 20 schools.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The University of Connecticut appears to be on the short list of schools being considered to join the Big 12 Athletic Conference. Since the Big 12 voted earlier this summer to explore an expansion, 20 schools have emerged as possible candidates, including Brigham Young University, the University of Cincinnati, Boise State, and UConn.

Ah yes, the short list of 20 schools.
That's not how I read it. I think it's meant to imply that while 20 school have expressed an interest, the Big XII is basically paying 14-16 of them lip service and UConn is on a short list of 4-6 programs. It's like when a company puts out an RFP (or RFQ) or when UConn posts a job opening. They already know, generally, who they are looking for, but have to appear to be considering all applicants.

Reaction Score
That's not how I read it. I think it's meant to imply that while 20 school have expressed an interest, the Big XII is basically paying 14-16 of them lip service and UConn is on a short list of 4-6 programs. It's like when a company puts out an RFP (or RFQ) or when UConn posts a job opening. They already know, generally, who they are looking for, but have to appear to be considering all applicants.

I think that's how we read it cause we know about this stuff, but that doesn't appear to be how it's written.

"[...] 20 schools have emerged as possible candidates, including Brigham Young University, the University of Cincinnati, Boise State and UConn."

That implies the short list is 20 schools. Also saying these 20 "emerged" as possible candidates shows a general misunderstanding of the process, given that anyone could send information to be considered.

Reaction Score
Speaking of click/follow bait:;)

State Senator from Norwalk/Darien

Bob Duff ‏@senatorduff 2h2 hours ago
22 National Championships across all sports since 2000. @UConn would make a great fit in the Big 12! Let's go #Huskies

Bob Duff ‏@senatorduff 2h2 hours ago
@UConn has both the academic AND athletic excellence, which is a natural fit for the Big 12. Go Huskies! #Proud

Bob Duff ‏@senatorduff 9m 9 minutes ago
12.6M TV households in @UConn vicinity with NYC & NE media. Lots of @UConnHuskies fans. Sounds like a good reason for the @ExpansionBig12

Bob Duff@senatorduff 4 mins ago
Can you imagine a @Uconn-Kansas basketball rivalry? Or Texas football coming to New England? Great match =@UConnHuskies in @ExpansionBig12

Bob Duff ‏@senatorduff 3m 3 minutes ago
.@UConn is the entire state's flagship University! (and beyond) @UConnNYCAlumni

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Bob Duff ‏@senatorduff 9m 9 minutes ago
12.6M TV households in @UConn vicinity with NYC & NE media. Lots of @UConnHuskies fans. Sounds like a good reason for the @ExpansionBig12

Bob Duff@senatorduff 4 mins ago
Can you imagine a @Uconn-Kansas basketball rivalry? Or Texas football coming to New England? Great match =@UConnHuskies in @ExpansionBig12

Bob Duff ‏@senatorduff 3m 3 minutes ago
.@UConn is the entire state's flagship University! (and beyond) @UConnNYCAlumni
Finally, I was wondering when we'd get the State Senator Bob Duff endorsement. Expect an invite in the next 24-48 hours.

That's the Duff Factor™

Reaction Score
Finally, I was wondering when we'd get the State Senator Bob Duff endorsement. Expect an invite in the next 24-48 hours.

That's the Duff Factor™
Still a very easy, political move. Not sure the Norwalk-Darien area is filled with people who care deeply about UConn and our athletic department but if it appeals to even 50-100 people in your voting district, why not endorse?

Reaction Score
Editorial: Big 12 expansion should leave BYU behind

By ISD Editorial Board

BYU, a private, religious institution operated by The Church of of Latter-day Saints, has formally requested to join the Big 12 Conference, which presents an ethical dilemma for the conference.

Athletically, BYU would make a strong addition to the conference. However, its bid falls through with a simple glance at BYU’s pro-discriminatory Honor Code that all students and staff must follow.

Other contenders in the pack to join the Big 12 include the University of Cincinnati, the University of Houston, the University of Connecticut and Colorado State, to name a few.

Each of these teams could benefit the conference while still keeping the integrity and inclusiveness of the Big 12 intact.

If the Big 12 needs a little help with its decision, it should look toward the NBA, which pulled its All-Star Game from North Carolina due to a discriminatory bathroom law.

Inclusion must occur at all levels, from the playing fields and courts to the classrooms.

Editorial: Big 12 expansion should leave BYU behind

About Us
Employing more than 200 students over the course of a year, the Iowa State Daily Media Group is an independent, student-run, non-profit organization. The Daily is owned and operated by students for the students, faculty, staff and alumni that make up the ISU community.

Reaction Score
Still a very easy, political move. Not sure the Norwalk-Darien area is filled with people who care deeply about UConn and our athletic department but if it appeals to even 50-100 people in your voting district, why not endorse?
You would be surprised at the different perception of UConn in the stretch of CT between BPT and Greenwich.

Reaction Score
You would be surprised at the different perception of UConn in the stretch of CT between BPT and Greenwich.
It depends. Down the richy-rich parts you see a bunch decals with Duke, UVa, Hopkins, Cuse, etc. The more urban areas love UConn basketball. Hard to walk into a grocery store without seeing UConn gear along the way. UConn: Fairfield County's Middle Class College Team.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It depends. Down the richy-rich parts you see a bunch decals with Duke, UVa, Hopkins, Cuse, etc. The more urban areas love UConn basketball. Hard to walk into a grocery store without seeing UConn gear along the way. UConn: Fairfield County's Middle Class College Team.
Even where I live in Glastonbury it's interesting as EVERYONE has at least a bachelors for the most part. There is definitely a ton of UConn stuff but a lot of more prestigious/private school merch about. Tons of PSU, Michigan, and UVA.

Reaction Score
Trust me..I live in Port Chester and my wife works in Darien..between the 2 of us we spend a lot of time in that part of the state. I do most of my shopping in Greenwich as well. When we moved to PC in 2004 it definitely wasn't UConn country down there..UConn was still a safety school. But in the past 4 years it has definitely had the perception changed. I wear UConn gear all the time and where I used to get funny looks or snickers...I know get thumbs up and sometimes small conversation.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
is it true that only Uconn and UH were contacted by the Big12?
I'm very interested in finding this out. I feel like if schools like Memphis or Cincinatti got contacted it absolutely would have gotten out.

Reaction Score
There is a lot of smoke that Cincy was already asked to join so it's hard to really know the meaning of the letters to begin with. The letter from Cincy to the b12 disclosed recently is odd, as we know Ono did a lot o networking previously. That recent letter seems to be timed very odd given how quiet they have been recently unless someone asked them to do it.

Reaction Score
There is a lot of smoke that Cincy was already asked to join so it's hard to really know the meaning of the letters to begin with. The letter from Cincy to the b12 disclosed recently is odd, as we know Ono did a lot o networking previously. That recent letter seems to be timed very odd given how quiet they have been recently unless someone asked them to do it.

That letter seemed to be a formality.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
All those interested were asked to do so by Bowlsby. I think so that it gives a public appearance that they are not trying to poach schools from other conferences.

Reaction Score

What is it?

I can only tell by Westport which was full of UConn supporters.

Also, some transplants to Connecticut from Ridgefield stopped me at a party here in Buffalo (I was wearing a UConn hat) to talk about the bball teams and the school. I think transplants think of it as their state university, and they have interest.

Reaction Score
What is it?

I can only tell by Westport which was full of UConn supporters.

Also, some transplants to Connecticut from Ridgefield stopped me at a party here in Buffalo (I was wearing a UConn hat) to talk about the bball teams and the school. I think transplants think of it as their state university, and they have interest.
Like Westport...there are a lot of UConn supporters in Greenwich. UConn is very popular down here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom