Non-Key Tweets | Page 660 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Like Westport...there are a lot of UConn supporters in Greenwich. UConn is very popular down here.
What would it do for the popularity of the team if Diaco was able to land one of the "big fish" football recruits from that area? The type of guys who usually go to Michigan or Notre Dame or Duke?

Reaction Score
Like Westport...there are a lot of UConn supporters in Greenwich. UConn is very popular down here.
Yup, and no one I know denigrates or looks down upon the school. The basketball games at Webster also seem to draw well which speaks to the popularity in Fairfield County.

Reaction Score
Yup, and no one I know denigrates or looks down upon the school. The basketball games at Webster also seem to draw well which speaks to the popularity in Fairfield County.
100% agree with this! UConn perception has definitely changed in lower Fairfield County

Reaction Score
It depends. Down the richy-rich parts you see a bunch decals with Duke, UVa, Hopkins, Cuse, etc. The more urban areas love UConn basketball. Hard to walk into a grocery store without seeing UConn gear along the way. UConn: Fairfield County's Middle Class College Team.

The decals indicate that the driver or their child went or goes to the other school. It doesn't mean that they don't follow UConn basketball (and in some cases football).

Reaction Score
Well, we have evidence of at least 3 - UConn, UH and Cincy. They should check here first ;)
Not really, we've seen Cinnci's expression of interest but far as I know not the BigXII sending them instructions, which we've only seen Houston's and had a Media report of UConn's by Blauds which is what the article concerned itself with

Reaction Score
The decals indicate that the driver or their child went or goes to the other school. It doesn't mean that they don't follow UConn basketball (and in some cases football).
True, but I'd assume it's more likely that you're not a UConn fan if you and/or your kid went to one of these schools. Not impossible but that's just my hunch. There's no doubt though that the perception of UConn academics and athletics have advanced massively since the 1990s. We need more deep-pocketed donors from the Gold Coast.

Reaction Score
Not really, we've seen Cinnci's expression of interest but far as I know not the BigXII sending them instructions, which we've only seen Houston's and had a Media report of UConn's by Blauds which is what the article concerned itself with

Agree the actual email to Cincy hasn't been published but the letter in the link they sent on 7/25 to BB follows the same instructions (providing the General Counsel name and contact info) as the Houston email did.

Reaction Score
Agree the actual email to Cincy hasn't been published but the letter in the link they sent on 7/25 to BB follows the same instructions (providing the General Counsel name and contact info as the Houston email did.
Yes, one could deduce that

Reaction Score
True, but I'd assume it's more likely that you're not a UConn fan if you and/or your kid went to one of these schools. Not impossible but that's just my hunch. There's no doubt though that the perception of UConn academics and athletics have advanced massively since the 1990s. We need more deep-pocketed donors from the Gold Coast.

UConn, like all state flagships that compete in Division 1, have tons of in state fans that root for the state university even though their family may never have gone there. Like, for example, me. The fact that I put a free GW sticker that they sent with my son's bill and it gets on a car is not indicative of much of anything.

Reaction Score
UConn, like all state flagships that compete in Division 1, have tons of in state fans that root for the state university even though their family may never have gone there. Like, for example, me. The fact that I put a free GW sticker that they sent with my son's bill and it gets on a car is not indicative of much of anything.
Look, there's no way to prove where fandom lies. I teach in Fairfield and I regularly see kids wearing Syracuse and Maryland gear as much as UConn. Could they or their parents be UConn fans too? Sure. There's no way to know with certainty.

Reaction Score

Yea, I have some of those stickers - they help hold my bumpers on - if the kids all went to UConn I could afford a new bumper...

Reaction Score

Yea, I have some of those stickers - they help hold my bumpers on - if the kids all went to UConn I could afford a new bumper...

Reaction Score
EXPLAIN THIS BUMPER STICKER THEN:

image.aspx

Reaction Score
Look, there's no way to prove where fandom lies. I teach in Fairfield and I regularly see kids wearing Syracuse and Maryland gear as much as UConn. Could they or their parents be UConn fans too? Sure. There's no way to know with certainty.

That's more than a little different. If I'm walking around in a BC sweatshirt, even if my kid goes there, you're right, I'm less likely to be rooting for UConn. But a Trinity or ECSU or Hopkins or other sweatshirt that isn't being worn most likely to show athletic support? Not so much.

But sweatshirts or caps aren't decals. A friggin car decal, which was the original comment, reflects little more than you got something in the mail for free.

Reaction Score
That's more than a little different. If I'm walking around in a BC sweatshirt, even if my kid goes there, you're right, I'm less likely to be rooting for UConn. But a Trinity or ECSU or Hopkins or other sweatshirt that isn't being worn most likely to show athletic support? Not so much.

But sweatshirts or caps aren't decals. A friggin car decal, which was the original comment, reflects little more than you got something in the mail for free.
You get angry real easily. Look, I'm no parent so I have no insight as to how much significance car decals play in the world of loyalty to your collegiate fandom. Thanks for enlightening me though. #DecalsDontMatter

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You get angry real easily. Look, I'm no parent so I have no insight as to how much significance car decals play in the world of loyalty to your collegiate fandom. Thanks for enlightening me though. #DecalsDontMatter

He's right. If your kid is at Harvard, or Johns Hopkins, or Penn...you're pretty freaking proud (and likely now poor). The decal reflects that. Even a sweatshirt does (my neighbor was wearing a Minnesota shirt this summer b/c his daughter is headed to Vet school there).

No UConn fan would put Syracuse or BC stuff on his or her car or body. But anything from a school that is not a realistic athletic competitor to UConn is probably no indication of fandom.

Reaction Score
He's right. If your kid is at Harvard, or Johns Hopkins, or Penn...you're pretty freaking proud (and likely now poor). The decal reflects that. Even a sweatshirt does (my neighbor was wearing a Minnesota shirt this summer b/c his daughter is headed to Vet school there).

No UConn fan would put Syracuse or BC stuff on his or her car or body. But anything from a school that is not a realistic athletic competitor to UConn is probably no indication of fandom.
This is gonna be my last comment b/c this is a dumb argument. In my initial post I said I see Syracuse decals (among others like Duke) every now and then in the richer areas of Fairfield County. So, if I use your definition, then that person cannot be a UConn fan b/c "No UConn fan would put Syracuse or BC stuff on his or her car or body." Sure, an Ivy league or Hopkins is not really the same thing, that point your right about.

Again, this is dumb argument. I used car decals as an example of school apparel. My whole point - and literally entire point is that if I see a car with a Cuse, BC, Duke sticker my gut instinct is that they are not a UConn fan. That's all.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They truly don't. My father went to Buffalo and Northeastern, but had Ithaca College (my brother), Boston College (Sister), and UConn (Me) rear window stickers on both of the cars he owned while we were in school. He doesn't care about UB or NU, and wouldn't care about the Bombers, Eagles, or Huskies if his children did not go to any of those schools.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom