Non-Key Tweets | Page 656 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
UConn and Big East open to reunion

Includes oft referenced Nate Silver link/data/chart on UConn FB 'popularity ranking" in NYC for those in need of Twitter ammo.

Enjoyed the piece overall, but this drives me up the goshdarn wall:

An interesting note the keep in mind is that Fairfield County, CT actually is considered to be in New York, NY television market.​

It's not, "Considered" to be in the NYC market, IT IS IN THE DAMN MARKET.

The DMA's are not some arbitrary lines of demarcation, they are broadcast ranges. Being in the NYC market is the difference between getting FOX 5 NY and FOX 61 Htfd/New Haven at your home. They are very real.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Enjoyed the piece overall, but this drives me up the goshdarn wall:

An interesting note the keep in mind is that Fairfield County, CT actually is considered to be in New York, NY television market.​

It's not, "Considered" to be in the NYC market, IT IS IN THE DAMN MARKET.

The DMA's are not some arbitrary lines of demarcation, they are broadcast ranges. Being in the NYC market is the difference between getting FOX 5 NY and FOX 61 Htfd/New Haven at your home. They are very real.
In the age a cable/internet, I consider DMA to be an artifact. Agree that it is still in use.

Reaction Score
It's by a UConn fan who posts here and is on a St. John's website?
Same kid who posted on the UNC fan site about UConn to the ACC, then linked it on our boards for click bait.

Same kid linked an SB nation "article", and then put "ESPN reports...." in the thread title. Click bait.

Also the same kid who thinks UConn football is peaking at 6-7 with a loss to Marshall in a bowl game. That's not click bait, it's just moronic.

Reaction Score
It totally is an artifact, but as long as Cable still exists, it's still relevant.

It think you meant irrelevant, right?

Cable makes DMA's irrelevant. For instance, the SNY upcharge to basic cable ended at Connecticut's borders. Each cable system is licensed inside state boundaries.

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well there you go! Memphis may have Fred Smith and Justin Timberlake, but we have Bob Duff!

Let's win conference realignment for "the Duffer."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well there you go! Memphis may have Fred Smith and Justin Timberlake, but we have Bob Duff!

Let's win conference realignment for "the Duffer."
He's actually a pretty good golfer and prefers be called "the Duffster."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BYU network isn't basic tier anywhere but Provo as I understand it. Even in SLC, U of Utah has like 80% market share of college football fans. BYU TV is available for a fee on Satellite, and contains religious programming as well as sports. So it is presumably frequently purchased by LDS members.

This is one of the reasons I predicted UConn, Cinci, Houston and a Florida school. The Honor Code thing pushed it further. BYU needs that network to promote its primary mission. It needs the sports to help make it viable. The Big 12 as it is, with T3 rights going back to the schools, works pretty well. If they pursue a digital network, BYU may not be able to participate at all, or would be like UT (road games only).

It is almost comical that these "experts" look at BYU and see a very strong football program, with great fan attendance, a well known brand and a solid hoops team as well and say, they are the clear favorite. They ignore:
  • BYU network issues noted above
  • Honor Code issues
  • Private religious school (see Baylor) not a cultural fit
  • Sunday play
  • Distance from the league (almsot as far as UConn, and more if there is other expansion east)
  • Weak TV market penetration, even in SLC. Mountain time stinks for TV.
BYU has some serious hurdles to overcome. They may do it, but it's not the slam dunk everyone keeps suggesting.

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection.

B12 Hayseeds: Overruled.

Reaction Score
It think you meant irrelevant, right?

Cable makes DMA's irrelevant. For instance, the SNY upcharge to basic cable ended at Connecticut's borders. Each cable system is licensed inside state boundaries.

Cable as it's presently constituted determines what national broadcast affiliates people receive by their DMA.

What you're citing, SNY determining it's pricing structure based on state boundaries is a completely different conversation in that it is an agreement determined by the cable network and individual cable provider. It's more to the point of what @CL82 was driving at in that as people move away from cable and towards streaming internet, then DMA's are irrelevant.

However, as long as Cable determines what affiliates people get by DMA and the good people at Nielsen agree that DMA is the vehicle by which they measure ratings and advertisers determine that those DMA ratings determine rates, Cable will continue to keep DMA's relevant.

jho

Reaction Score

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 52
Reaction Score
RedditCFB@RedditCFB 1 hour ago
2016 /r/CFB Academic Rankings are out! Measure academic quality for athletes in particula
2016 /r/CFB Academic Rankings • /r/CFB

UConn comes in @ 64 among ALL DI football playing schools:

>>Very simply, this is a ranking of the academic experience a college football player can expect to get at a school. We’ve divided the ranking into four subrankings:
  • Athletes: This is a ranking of the academic programs and accomplishments particular to athletes, especially football athletes. This incorporates Academic All-Americans, APR, and a few other factors.
  • Undergrads: This is probably closest to a traditional college ranking system. This incorporates metrics relevant to what makes a school competitive in particular to an undergraduate.
  • ROI: This comprises a few measures of what students can hope to get out of a university and the marginal value of their degree.
  • Research: This ranks research output in a number of dimensions. Having a strong university strengthens the case for conference acceptance, and provides more opportunities for students and student athletes.<<
Graphs

Tables

Have fun...

Reaction Score
2016 /r/CFB Academic Rankings are out! Measure academic quality for athletes in particula

UConn comes in @ 64:

>>Very simply, this is a ranking of the academic experience a college football player can expect to get at a school. We’ve divided the ranking into four subrankings:
  • Athletes: This is a ranking of the academic programs and accomplishments particular to athletes, especially football athletes. This incorporates Academic All-Americans, APR, and a few other factors.
  • Undergrads: This is probably closest to a traditional college ranking system. This incorporates metrics relevant to what makes a school competitive in particular to an undergraduate.
  • ROI: This comprises a few measures of what students can hope to get out of a university and the marginal value of their degree.
  • Research: This ranks research output in a number of dimensions. Having a strong university strengthens the case for conference acceptance, and provides more opportunities for students and student athletes.
Graphs

Tables

Have fun...
Sorry I would rather poke my eyes out with a rusty fork.
Just tell me what schools lead in hookers and blow

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Here's the clincher. As long ago as the late 1960's, UCONN was ranked the No. 2 party school in America, just getting edged out by the U of Miami a/k/a Convict U.

No school in America can claim our pedigree as an absolute party haven. You bring your teams to Storrs and it's party time! We had to create our own parties because there sure wasn't much of anything else to do in Storrs in the late 1960's, or the 70's, 80's and 90's for that matter. We're the party experts.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Sorry I would rather poke my eyes out with a rusty fork.
Just tell me what schools lead in hookers and blow

Louisville, but with the money Ole Miss is paying, they can procure as many hookers and as much blow as they can handle.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Here's the clincher. As long ago as the late 1960's, UCONN was ranked the No. 2 party school in America, just getting edged out by the U of Miami a/k/a Convict U.

No school in America can claim our pedigree as an absolute party haven. You bring your teams to Storrs and it's party time! We had to create our own parties because there sure wasn't much of anything else to do in Storrs in the late 1960's, or the 70's, 80's and 90's for that matter. We're the party experts.
Hasn't that really declined since Suzie and Co took over?

Here's a more interesting list Best College Athletics - College Rankings

#44 Best athletics. Top ranked G5 not that that should surprise anyone.

Reaction Score
Same kid who posted on the UNC fan site about UConn to the ACC, then linked it on our boards for click bait.

Same kid linked an SB nation "article", and then put "ESPN reports...." in the thread title. Click bait.

Also the same kid who thinks UConn football is peaking at 6-7 with a loss to Marshall in a bowl game. That's not click bait, it's just moronic.

Yup... UConn to Big East May Be Gaining Steam

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Playboy ranked us #6 my Freshman year (1984), which lead to MTV coming to campus two years in a row during spring weekend. Almost all of the anecdotes they used as evidence dated to the late 70's though, and UConn started clamping down even during my time in Storrs.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Playboy ranked us #6 my Freshman year (1984), which lead to MTV coming to campus two years in a row during spring weekend. Almost all of the anecdotes they used as evidence dated to the late 70's though, and UConn started clamping down even during my time in Storrs.
Things have changed dramatically.

I remember when large outdoor frat parties were the norm, with hundreds of drunk students openly carrying and consuming large quantities of booze right out in the open right on campus.

Such a sight is unthinkable now. It's been a dramatic transformation. Parties still happen I'm sure, but the days of UConn being spotlighted as a party school are over.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

By my sophomore year, 2004-2005, Playboy stopped including us. But that year they did give us an honorable mention and wrote the line: "We had to take the University of Connecticut off this list because we can not include professionals on a list of amateurs."

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

UConn comes in @ 64 among ALL DI football playing schools:

• Research: This ranks research output in a number of dimensions. Having a strong university strengthens the case for conference acceptance, and provides more opportunities for students and student athletes.<<
Graphs

Tables

Have fun...
Cougar High and Memphis CC both respectably up there in the 140s.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'll not wait around for @CougarRed to say Cougar High is only the nickname because AM fans called it that because a building was an old high school or something. Always makes me think of this:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom