Non-Key Tweets | Page 518 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Greg Sw aim ‏@GSwa im · 1h1 hour ago
What makes sense, and what the #Big12 does, are often two very different things. But Houston and Memphis being talked about a lot today.

Greg Swai m ‏@GSwa im · 10m10 minutes ago
They both offer fertile recruiting territory, but #Big12 already has Houston.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
What does that even mean?
It means "Rutgers brought the most cable boxes and best access to the nation's most important market. Lack of athletic success played no factor."

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 4h4 hours ago
My May 4th interview with @ADimeBack:
1/2
"There is support for Memphis, and what a closer relationship with FEDEX can do for both"

2/2
"....., the University of Memphis and the Big 12 Conference, However it’s academics do not meet all benchmarks"

@Doctor_alesmith
Kansas does not want to compete vs University which has a certain low level of Acceptance Rate.
It's called benchmarks

BrewDog ‏@BrewDog44 · 4h4 hours ago
@flugempire thought B12 expansion was about 1. Adding money, 2. New TV Markets, 3. Univ. with Football focus, 4. Recruiting upside

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@BrewDog44
You are correct, but Academics will play a part in B12 Presidents Expansion decision. KU (Pro-Expansion) will have voice heard.

Reaction Score
Utini ‏@PromiscuousJawa · 16m16 minutes ago
Don't get all infatuated with FedEx $. Realize there other candidates (at least 3) with big $ biz quietly backing their entry into B12.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Utini ‏@PromiscuousJawa · 16m16 minutes ago
Don't get all infatuated with FedEx $. Realize there other candidates (at least 3) with big $ biz quietly backing their entry into B12.
Thank you George Soros!

Reaction Score
My May 4th interview with @ADimeBack:
1/2
"There is support for Memphis, and what a closer relationship with FEDEX can do for both"

2/2
"....., the University of Memphis and the Big 12 Conference, However it’s academics do not meet all benchmarks"

@Doctor_alesmith
Kansas does not want to compete vs University which has a certain low level of Acceptance Rate.
It's called benchmarks

BrewDog ‏@BrewDog44 · 4h4 hours ago
@flugempire thought B12 expansion was about 1. Adding money, 2. New TV Markets, 3. Univ. with Football focus, 4. Recruiting upside

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@BrewDog44
You are correct, but Academics will play a part in B12 Presidents Expansion decision. KU (Pro-Expansion) will have voice heard.
I heard uconn had a record number of applicants (38000) for somewhere around 5000 slots at Storrs and the branches.

Reaction Score
Fed X is walking a tight rope. Never good as a public company to have your name being associated with throwing money around like this. Most of the shareholders are not from Memphis. I suspect there is some discussion re: this right now at Fedex.

CL82

Reaction Score
Fed X is walking a tight rope. Never good as a public company to have your name being associated with throwing money around like this. Most of the shareholders are not from Memphis. I suspect there is some discussion re: this right now at Fedex.
Although sponsoring the Big CCG is reasonable. I suspect that is what is being offered rather that the blank check the Memphis fans like to pretend is being offered.

Reaction Score
Although sponsoring the Big CCG is reasonable. I suspect that is what is being offered rather that the blank check the Memphis fans like to pretend is being offered.

It also depends on whether FedEx the entity is actually offering the money (like they would for a sponsorship) or whether it's just the CEO using his money (his net worth is around $2B.)

Reaction Score
It also depends on whether FedEx the entity is actually offering the money (like they would for a sponsorship) or whether it's just the CEO using his money (his net worth is around $2B.)

I'm having a hard time imagining Fred Smith spending his personal fortune to get Memphis into the Big 12, especially when you consider that we'd be talking 9 figures, most likely.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I heard uconn had a record number of applicants (38000) for somewhere around 5000 slots at Storrs and the branches.

Yes, I think Susan or somebody sent me an email about it. Also noteworthy that the trend is down for most schools.

Reaction Score
memphisnews 8:07pm via Twitter Web Client
U of M to invest $500 M in push for Big 12 expansion
University of Memphis, in Big 12 pitch, pledges $500 million in spending, FedEx involvement

Don't know about that, but FedEx is investing in, of all places, Connecticut. From the Governor's office:

On Thursday morning, Governor Dannel P. Malloy will participate in a groundbreaking ceremony to celebrate the construction of a new FedEx Ground distribution hub in Middletown.

Reaction Score
Don't know about that, but FedEx is investing in, of all places, Connecticut. From the Governor's office:

On Thursday morning, Governor Dannel P. Malloy will participate in a groundbreaking ceremony to celebrate the construction of a new FedEx Ground distribution hub in Middletown.

LOL --- You thinking Jonathon should be there??

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 11h11 hours ago
As I told you months ago, FedEx is trying to throw big $$ at B12 to get Memphis in. 1 billion over ten years to sponsor title game.

That's over double what the TV rights for a title game will bring

That's $8 mil per school on a 12 school setup

Or $7 mil for 14 teams.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 10h10 hours ago
Sorry my numbers on the FedEx thing were incorrect. It's 1 billion over 15 years. So $5mil per team per year at 12 and $4mil for 14

It's still almost double what the TV $ for CCG will be.

Carnot Evans ‏@carnot3 10h10 hours ago
@MH ver3 I call shenanigans on that. No way a publicly traded company blows $67M/yr on a football game.

@carnot3 I agree it sounds like a lot but it's what I was told.

Kevin Weller ‏@sm00th_kw 10h10 hours ago
@MH ver3 So instead of sponsoring the Orange Bowl with a national audience...they want to sponsor a regional audience for allz ze moniez?

@sm00th_kw they haven't sponsored orange bowl for years. And B12 CCG will be national audience.

TonyCaridi‏@TonyCaridi
Interesting notes on possible Big 12 expansion
Big 12 drawing interest from Houston, Memphis

rodfarley ‏@rodfarley 9h9 hours ago
rodfarley Retweeted TonyCaridi

@MH ver3 Memphis = FedX $$

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 9h9 hours ago
@rodfarley @TonyCaridi that Houston stuff was months ago before research was done. They are not in the top group now.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 8h8 hours ago
FedEx desire to get Memphis in gets deeper. In addition to $1B for CCG branding they will invest $500m in Memphis facilities.

Would FedEx and CCG TV money be enough to offset no B12N? Or at least give B12 more time to get B12N rolling?

Kevin Brower ‏@kevinbro1898 8h8 hours ago
@MH ver3 http://blogs.memphis.edu/president/2015/12/07/the-future-of-our-great-university/… please read the middle paragraph and not spew out BS

80s Tiger ‏@80sTiger 8h8 hours ago
@kevinbro1898 @MH ver3 Don't mess with the narrative Kevin. Now that it's getting real these dudes (pardon the pun) need recovery strategy

@80sTiger @kevinbro1898 for the record I've said Memphis was a candidate for months and mentioned FedEx$$ before. Recently they have not

80s Tiger ‏@80sTiger 8h8 hours ago
@MH ver3 @kevinbro1898 easy oppty to correct tweet. $500M from private donations. not FedEx. This whole implied "FedEx bribe" thing = silly.

TheFrogCast ‏@TheFrogCastTCU 8h8 hours ago
@80sTiger @MH ver3 @kevinbro1898 even if it's Fed Ex, who cares? This is how all this stuff works.

Reaction Score
Despite it coming from a major key player, I'm putting it here:

Jeff LongVerified account‏@jefflongUA
Hey @Garthbrooks hear u want @ArkRazorbacks in Big 12. "I’ve Got a Good Thing Going" in @SEC. Those are just "Unanswered Prayers" :)

Unlikely, but Arkansas has a lot of ties to B12 schools. Them leaving would inevitably cause the SEC to backfill, likely from the ACC, which would be a very, very, very good thing for us.

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 3h3 hours ago
Regardless of recent events my source confirmed the current pecking order to me just now for B12 expansion

BYU is the number 1 choice but issues could relegate them to either FB only or no invite at all

Uconn and Cincy are the likeliest 2 to get the first invites.

UCF, Memphis, ECU, and Colorado State...throw a dart. All have about the same level of support with Memphis possibly on the rise

Houston, USF, Tulane...still not completely out of it and have all 3 been vetted just like the others I just tweeted

David C. Moore ‏@CougarCentreSLC 3h3 hours agoCottonwood Heights, UT
@MH ver3 That biggest issue in the past has been some on BYU's governance board who are now 6' under...

@CougarCentreSLC Sunday play for Olympics and BYUtv remain the two biggest issues. Culture isn't one of them anymore.

Bleed Blue ‏@tgillies28 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 @CougarCentreSLC except Tom Holmoe already stated that byutv was no issue. Benefit if anything

@MH ver3 the larger inventory will negate #SundayPlay to less of a problem, media partners should be able to "work around" it now.

@CougarCentreSLC and except for baseball they really can. Byutv is biggest hurdle.

@MH ver3 thankfully #BYUtv isn't the #LHN. #rebroadcast rights is what BYU would like & it should be a non-issue if anything.

@CougarCentreSLC but rebroadcast rights are a huge deal when you are needing as much content for a 24 hour network as possible.

Craig Knight ‏@Aggroxcraig 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 @CougarCentreSLC BYU isn't going to risk being at the table to show games on their non-profit station.

Yblueblood ‏@TedYblueblood 1h1 hour ago
@MH ver3 @CougarCentreSLC There are plenty of options regarding content. This is really a non-issue. Who at BYU stated anything re. Risk?

@CougarCentreSLC if BYU would simply come out and promise to all B12 affiliated sports off BYUtv if invited...but they have not

Jared Kotler ‏@JaredKotler 3h3 hours ago
@MH ver3 timeline?

@JaredKotler it's looking like we are now 90-120 days away from invites.

@JaredKotler and we will be in no hurry to get them to start in B12 play. Network will take 1-2 years to sort out.

@JaredKotler I'm hearing fall of 2018 for new invites first year in conf.

Andrew Carter ‏@_andrewcarter 8h8 hours ago
Good conversation with Bubba Cunningham here just now about revenue opportunities. At UNC, he said, it's selling more football tickets.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 8h8 hours ago
@_andrewcarter No mention of the ACCN? But Bubba is right. If TV $ is more than 35% of your program its in trouble.

TigerBronco ‏@jay_256 8h8 hours ago
TigerBronco Retweeted Christopher Lambert

Do you not realize that Memphis has more football history, bowls, and NFL players than UConn? They are BASKETBALL.

@jay_256 So guess what my decision would be based on? Take a guess?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 7h7 hours ago
@jay_256 BYU has the best football program. UCF offers a 1.4M DMA along with Fla recruiting. Cincy is close to WVU.

@jay_256 Honestly I'm pretty neutral. I want what's best for the Big 12 & WVU.

@jay_256 And I've become a fan of a few of the G5 programs struggling to get into the B12. So I can find reasons to add each.

@jay_256 Memphis is in one of the top 25 football viewing markets. Memphis is a bridge to the east.

@jay_256 But seriously none of the G5 programs (BYU excluded) meet the minimum threshold of the Big 12.

@jay_256 The only way any of them get in is to add to the footprint for a network.

@jay_256 Then it's a balance of competitive product & TV markets.

@jay_256 You really can't predict what the Big 12 will do except for no expansion without a network.

@jay_256 I understand how you feel. And having FedEx in your corner is a big plus. But Memphis is only 1 factor.

@jay_256 The B12 might not do anything. That's the most likely outcome.

@jay_256 Programs with huge subsidies are not healthy. Past performance is a good indicator of future performance.

I would go to 14 with BYU, UC, UCF & either UCONN or Memphis.

Jimi Burress ‏@jimi357 5h5 hours ago
@theDudeofWV can Memphis be passed on if they are in fact offering up that kind of money?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
@jimi357 What kinda no of money?

I hate to rain on the parade but FedEx (FDX) is a publicly traded company.

I'm sure the FedEx BoD would be happy the company is throwing millions around to buy Memphis a spot in the Big 12.

Maybe there is a correlation between the Memphis/Big 12 news & the drop in price of FedEx stock today.

Of course my last tweet was a joke.

Carson Ingle ‏@caingle 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV Weird the way they word that right? I could see the CEO say I'm stepping up personally, but hard to get the company to do that.

@caingle I'm pretty sure if FedEx actually spent that cash on Memphis/Big 12 that the other SEC would send somebody to jail.

@caingle You think anybody at the B12 Dallas HQ remembers Enron Field?

Mike Swearingen ‏@Swearingen20 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV you are clueless!!! Fed Ex has their name all over pro sports & want more coverage in college.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 47m47 minutes ago
@Swearingen20 So $4 x12 = $48M. How long? 10 years? That's $480M.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 55m55 minutes ago
@Swearingen20 So let's say the Big 12 takes bids on their CCG and FedEx loses? What then? FedEx cant just bribe the Big 12.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 49m49 minutes ago
@Swearingen20 So how much is FedEx willing to pay? The Sugar Bowl, by way of comparison, pays each B12 member $4M per year.

Reaction Score
Whatever happened to all that Fed Ex money the AAC/Big East was supposed to get? Memphis needs to change mascot to catfish.

Lots of Memphis fans here saying that they made promises to the Big East not AAC. Well what they did they expect? Hmm FedEx B12 Championship Football Game?

They were only invited after BC, Miami, VA Tech, Syracuse, Pitt, and West Virginia all bailed and BYU and Air Force said no thanks. Added after the likes of powerhouse SMU. Let's not forget that Boise St and SDSU were going to come to. The Big EAST looked to Idaho, Colorado, Utah, Texas and California before saying UGH FINE MEMPHIS WHATEVR.

CL82

Reaction Score
TigerBronco ‏@jay_256 8h8 hours ago
TigerBronco Retweeted Christopher Lambert

Do you not realize that Memphis has more football history, bowls, and NFL players than UConn? They are BASKETBALL.
Um, no

Memphis (16)
PLAYER TEAM POSITION
Marcus Ball Carolina Panthers Safety
Lonnie Ballentine Houston Texans Safety
Alan Cross null Unknown
Akeem Davis Indianapolis Colts Safety
Jordan Devey San Francisco 49ers Offensive Lineman
Mose Frazier null Unknown
Stephen Gostkowski New England Patriots Place kicker
Martin Ifedi Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive End
Tevin Jones Houston Texans Wide Receiver