Non-Key Tweets | Page 668 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Hold on there, junior.

Yes, Houston's graduation rate needs improvement. But it's not 18% either.

USNWR uses the 6-year graduation rate. 51% of the 2009 class graduated in 6 years. See the 2015-16 Common Data Set.

The graduation rate is climbing. By 2021, the 6-year graduation rate is projected to be 65%. See this slide from last fall's presidential address.

Finally, UH introduced UHin4 in 2014. Kids who sign up and stay on track to graduate in 4 years have their tuition frozen at the freshman level.

70% of this year's freshmen signed up.

We're getting our house in order.

What's your 8 year undergraduate rate?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Hold on there, junior.

USNWR uses the 6-year graduation rate. 51% of the 2009 class graduated in 6 years. See the 2015-16 Common Data Set.

The graduation rate is climbing. By 2021, the 6-year graduation rate is projected to be 65%. See this slide from last fall's presidential address.

Finally, UH introduced UHin4 in 2014. Kids who sign up and stay on track to graduate in 4 years have their tuition frozen at the freshman level.

Can you cite the 4 yr grad rate not being 18%? Collegefactual.com has it at 18.3. UConn is at 70% which more closely resembles UH's acceptance rate FWIW.

Reaction Score
Hold on there, junior.

@CougarRed Let me begin by saying that I'll try to use small words, so you can understand what I'm saying.

The very fact that you come to a UConn message board to post whatever vapid thought entered your head means that you've already lost the conference realignment argument. I would NEVER go to a UH message board to post. Why? Because your school is irrelevant. You're irrelevant academically, and you're irrelevant athletically.

Your fans seem to get jacked up winning a CONFERENCE championship (once). We get jacked up winning NATIONAL championships (plural).

You're proud of your six year graduation rate? First of all, a six year graduation rate is meaningless. Second, your six year graduation rate is a joke.

UH grads are what UConn grads hire to clean the bathrooms at the office. That's assuming the UH grad could pass a background check, which we both know is a 50-50 proposition at best.

You've sold out your student allotment of football tickets (5,000) exactly TWICE in the last 2 years. That's despite having 40,000+ students, with 8000+ beds on your campus.

Last year, during your most successful football season in program history, your coach publicly reprimanded students, alumni, and the city at large for not supporting the program. Not exactly a strong statement if you can't even draw during what was, at the time, an undefeated season.

Finally, let's not forget who hung that one loss on you guys last season. UConn - a supposed "joke" of a football program.

Reaction Score
Can you cite the 4 yr grad rate not being 18%? Collegefactual.com has it at 18.3. UConn is at 70% which more closely resembles UH's acceptance rate FWIW.
Beyond other glorified community colleges such as Memphis or perhaps the likes of Louisville or Boise State, it was challenging to believe a purported academic institution could actually have an 18% four-year graduation rate. When getting one's house in order equates to doubling down on dumb or further grade inflation to drive a 4-year graduation rate from 19% all of the way up to 25%, it's absolutely nothing short of progress. Wow, 1 in 4 students manages to graduate within a standard 4 year period. Now, that's impressive!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
@CougarRed Let me begin by saying that I'll try to use small words, so you can understand what I'm saying.

The very fact that you come to a UConn message board to post whatever vapid thought entered your head means that you've already lost the conference realignment argument. I would NEVER go to a UH message board to post. Why? Because your school is irrelevant. You're irrelevant academically, and you're irrelevant athletically.

Your fans seem to get jacked up winning a CONFERENCE championship (once). We get jacked up winning NATIONAL championships (plural).

You're proud of your six year graduation rate? First of all, a six year graduation rate is meaningless. Second, your six year graduation rate is a joke.

UH grads are what UConn grads hire to clean the bathrooms at the office. That's assuming the UH grad could pass a background check, which we both know is a 50-50 proposition at best.

You've sold out your student allotment of football tickets (5,000) exactly TWICE in the last 2 years. That's despite having 40,000+ students, with 8000+ beds on your campus.

Last year, during your most successful football season in program history, your coach publicly reprimanded students, alumni, and the city at large for not supporting the program. Not exactly a strong statement if you can't even draw during what was, at the time, an undefeated season.

Finally, let's not forget who hung that one loss on you guys last season. UConn - a supposed "joke" of a football program.

Lol

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dude is half right (is that a record). TV will want BYU, and UH is likely critical to getting Texas to extend the GOR (something TV is going to want for their half a billion dollars. Problem is that you still need the Non-Texas Schools to sign off as well as the Leftover 8. To do that you need better schools and schools that are not tied to UT.

That means 14. Sounds like we are at least halfway there inside the room, if any of this has a shred of truth to it.

Reaction Score
I listen to the comments about "commuter school" and wondered does it really matter that a university draws from it's adjacent large city population with the majority of students not residing on campus. I lived on campus for two years and then an off campus apartment and had never thought about the commuter difference. Was I commuting when I lived off campus?

Exploring the issue via internet, I assume that Houston's college experience is akin to the college experience at branch locations of major colleges.

The education received at UConn's five branches is essentially the same as received at Storrs. But as I googled, it did appear that going to a commuter campus leaves a different college experience.

As a quoted (in the piece that I read) former Waterbury campus student (now at Storrs) said, “The cons of commuting include a stale campus and a high-school-like nature of just showing up to class.”

I can see the disconnect between the traditional college life and the commuter student.

IMHO...the lower academics at Houston are more important than the commuter aspect...but I see where folks are going with the non resident student participation comments.

Viewpoint: Reflecting on the disconnect between UConn’s commuter and resident students

Reaction Score
I wouldn't consider an off-campus apartment to be commuting, but I'm not sure how the school defines it. I moved off-campus after two years, but to an apartment behind East and then to Willington Oaks, and I certainly never felt like a commuter.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dude is half right (is that a record). TV will want BYU, and UH is likely critical to getting Texas to extend the GOR (something TV is going to want for their half a billion dollars. Problem is that you still need the Non-Texas Schools to sign off as well as the Leftover 8. To do that you need better schools and schools that are not tied to UT.

That means 14. Sounds like we are at least halfway there inside the room, if any of this has a shred of truth to it.

Who says TV wants BYU? I keep seeing that as if it is some fact. ESPN already has BYU. Fox wants eastern time zone TV content, and as the graphic Fishy put up shows, most LDS members are mountain and pacific time zone. BYU has a nice football program but otherwise makes no sense. They get slaughtered by U of Utah in SLC tv market.

Unless the Big XII goes into the eastern time zone, it is doomed. That is what Fox wants, UConn or the Florida schools.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't consider an off-campus apartment to be commuting, but I'm not sure how the school defines it. I moved off-campus after two years, but to an apartment behind East and then to Willington Oaks, and I certainly never felt like a commuter.

If you have to drive (or take public transit), that's commuting in my mind. If you live "off campus" but are still walking distance, while that's not classified as "on campus" it's still not commuting imo.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you have to drive (or take public transit), that's commuting in my mind. If you live "off campus" but are still walking distance, while that's not classified as "on campus" it's still not commuting imo.

Agreed. I'd even say that taking the university shuttle bus system is "on campus". Living with your mom and dad? That's commuting. I do think it matters to the college experience. Even schools like BU or Northeastern really will never generate the sense of togetherness that exists with students living together on campus or in a college town with no other school.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Agreed. I'd even say that taking the university shuttle bus system is "on campus". Living with your mom and dad? That's commuting. I do think it matters to the college experience. Even schools like BU or Northeastern really will never generate the sense of togetherness that exists with students living together on campus or in a college town with no other school.
I attended the Groton-Avery Point campus and then Storrs for 3 years. Avery Point, and I think all other UConn campuses at the time, didn't have on-campus housing so everyone lived off campus and commuted, some from home and others from rental housing. To me, that was a true commuting environment. You drove to school, went to class, and then drove home.

When I transferred to Storrs, I lived in a dorm for one year and then moved off campus to Walden Apartments my last 2 years. Looking back, I don't consider that I was a commuter during those last two years even though I was driving 3-4 miles to campus every day. Why? Because I had made a lot of friends at my dorm and still hung out with those guys, sometimes at the dorm, when I wasn't in class.

Reaction Score
Step away from the edge for a second...do you realize you are actually making statements based on tweets and a article written by someone who seriously needs to be committed for a psych eval?
I snapped. Thanks for bringing me back. Whew!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I attended the Groton-Avery Point campus and then Storrs for 3 years. Avery Point, and I think all other UConn campuses at the time, didn't have on-campus housing so everyone lived off campus and commuted, some from home and others from rental housing. To me, that was a true commuting environment. You drove to school, went to class, and then drove home.

When I transferred to Storrs, I lived in a dorm for one year and then moved off campus to Walden Apartments my last 2 years. I don't consider myself a commuter during those last two years even though I was driving 3-4 miles to campus every day. Why? Because I had made a lot of friends at my dorm and still hung out with those guys, sometimes at the dorm, when I wasn't in class.

Yes, and that's the point about "city schools". Commuting a short distance from housing in a college town that is mostly used by students is really not much different than living on campus. For the city schools its different, and there is less of a college town feel in that off campus housing.

I drove about 1.5 miles to law school, but anywhere you lived in Lawrence, KS, you were at KU. You can't escape it.

Reaction Score

Why do you say that about BU when the vast majority of students there do not come from the area?

If you say that about BU, you have to say it about all city schools, including Harvard, Yale, New York U., U Chicago, U Pittsburgh, U Pennsylvania, Georgetown and George Washington, etc. All of these schools have urban campuses with the vast majority of students living in dorms or off campus apartments just like BU.

Are you saying only rural schools experience "togetherness?" Because I've lived on an urban campus and a rural campus, and it's not very different just because the vast majority of the students are not commuting.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Why do you say that about BU when the vast majority of students there do not come from the area?

If you say that about BU, you have to say it about all city schools, including Harvard, Yale, New York U., U Chicago, U Pittsburgh, U Pennsylvania, Georgetown and George Washington, etc. All of these schools have urban campuses with the vast majority of students living in dorms or off campus apartments just like BU.

Are you saying only rural schools experience "togetherness?" Because I've lived on an urban campus and a rural campus, and it's not very different just because the vast majority of the students are not commuting.

BU has changed some and may not deserve my ire. Harvard and Yale have a very distinct campuses, with quads and large areas all within campus. BU back when I went to college (at UConn) was a long strip of more or less office buildings, and the students rode the Green Line from one end to the other. The BU students I knew lived in apartments mixed with workers and students of other schools. I don't know the other campuses well enough. Certainly PC and BC have discreet campuses. I'm told Cincinnati does as well.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The education received at UConn's five branches is essentially the same as received at Storrs. But as I googled, it did appear that going to a commuter campus leaves a different college experience.

Uh, yeah, no. No it isn't. But OK.

There is a reason the best applicants are taken at Storrs and the rest are asked to go to the branch. There is a reason the main campus hosts the top professors in the system. There is a reason the highest performing out-of-state students go to Storrs and not Waterbury or wherever.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

I lived in Hunting Lodge my senior year and drove in every day. I never considered myself a commuter because I had a full campus atmosphere at my apartment building. It was only UConn students who lived there and you could walk to campus if your reallllllly wanted.

Reaction Score
BU has changed some and may not deserve my ire. Harvard and Yale have a very distinct campuses, with quads and large areas all within campus. BU back when I went to college (at UConn) was a long strip of more or less office buildings, and the students rode the Green Line from one end to the other. The BU students I knew lived in apartments mixed with workers and students of other schools. I don't know the other campuses well enough. Certainly PC and BC have discreet campuses. I'm told Cincinnati does as well.

Not what I experienced at BU. Office buildings? I mean, there were no office buildings. The school was mainly the old college buildings west of Kenmore Square. Those are really old buildings from the birth of the university. All the new buildings, like engineering, communications, sciences, etc., look exactly like the new buildings you see n any college campuses. If there is anything weird or ugly about BU, it is only the mega-dorms. Warren Towers, West Campus.

What people miss about BU as they drive down Commonwealth past the solid old buildings is that behind there there are roads packed with brownstones and even an old castle. These are university owned. There is even some green space. It has been this way since the 1980s when I went there. But all those brownstones are either owned by the university for classes (I took classes in brownstones!) or else they serve as student housing. The students that rode the green line were off-campus housing students. Obviously, you don't need to ever get on a train once you are on campus. The only exception to this is for students who attend the College of General Studies, which is closer to West Campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom