Non-Key Tweets | Page 556 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
All of this is such crap. As Whaler, Fishy and others have pointed out, only UT in the B12 can carry its water (ie generate enough revenue) under any future B10 expansion based on the latest media deals with ESPN and FOX. The rest of them including Kansas and OU won't be able to cut it unless the B1G adopts a long term two tier revenue model for their conference which seems unlikely. For this reason alone, there are only a handful of realistic B1G adds: UT, UNC, UVA, FSU and maybe GT.
Somebody needs to explain to me how any ACC team not named Florida State "carries its weight" in a football centric conference. If we're talking academically then sure. But nobody associates UNC Virginia or Georgia Tech and football power. Certainly not in the post single wing era at least.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Somebody needs to explain to me how any ACC team not named Florida State "carries its weight" in a football centric conference. If we're talking academically then sure. But nobody associates UNC Virginia or Georgia Tech and football power. Certainly not in the post single wing era at least.

Its all about cable boxes + academics + university standing in a given state (is it the 1st or 2nd most significant major university). Hence Rutty and Turtle additions. Cable boxes maybe waning, but they represent an immediate tapable revenue stream which is absolutely necessary to generate the sky high media $$. Cable boxes also indicative of market potential today and in the future (what is the ceiling for this school). Hard to see how the 6 dwarfs and even OU can deliver the media $$ the B1G must have.

Reaction Score
All of this is such crap. As Whaler, Fishy and others have pointed out, only UT in the B12 can carry its water (ie generate enough revenue) under any future B10 expansion based on the latest media deals with ESPN and FOX. The rest of them including Kansas and OU won't be able to cut it unless the B1G adopts a long term two tier revenue model for their conference which seems unlikely. For this reason alone, there are only a handful of realistic B1G adds: UT, UNC, UVA, FSU and maybe GT.

I am not sure, but I thought I saw you over the weekend in this sweatshirt. Was it you?

njtp_logofree_exit_4_cherry_hil_hoodie.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“One of the things (the data) told us is that we’re better served by having a championship game than by not having a championship game,” Bowlsby said. “Beyond that, I’m not at liberty to talk specifically about the data that’s been provided to us. We certainly are going to use it.”

The Big 12 will have a championship football game in 2017, and presumably it will be between champions of two five-team divisions.“That’s probably a better possibility than any other available option,” Bowlsby said during the 25-minute interview. “The good thing about that, is that we can do it with 10 teams, we can do it with 12 teams and we can do it with 14.”

“I wouldn’t presume how it’s going to turn out,” Bowlsby said of the July 19 meeting. “There are those who are expansion advocates, there are those who are status quo advocates, and there’s probably a group of people in the middle who are waiting to be convinced by the discussion and by the data that’s presented.”

Reaction Score
“One of the things (the data) told us is that we’re better served by having a championship game than by not having a championship game,” Bowlsby said. “Beyond that, I’m not at liberty to talk specifically about the data that’s been provided to us. We certainly are going to use it.”

The Big 12 will have a championship football game in 2017, and presumably it will be between champions of two five-team divisions.“That’s probably a better possibility than any other available option,” Bowlsby said during the 25-minute interview. “The good thing about that, is that we can do it with 10 teams, we can do it with 12 teams and we can do it with 14.”

“I wouldn’t presume how it’s going to turn out,” Bowlsby said of the July 19 meeting. “There are those who are expansion advocates, there are those who are status quo advocates, and there’s probably a group of people in the middle who are waiting to be convinced by the discussion and by the data that’s presented.”

"Yada yada yada". This is ridiculous!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big 12 clearly thinks it's possible to expand with P5 teams. I think they are wrong - but in their position I'd do the same thing.

Reaction Score
Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal · 1h1 hour ago
Expansion is on〽️

Randy Watts ‏@randywatts7 · 59m59 minutes ago
@Bluevodreal BIG10 or BIG12?

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal · 49m49 minutes ago
@randywatts7 could be both but Big10 striking first.

Bill Mayhall‏@BildoGoInHammer
@Bluevodreal when and what schools?

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal · 39m39 minutes ago
@BildoGoInHammer all the same as before minus ND. Looks like they could go 2 to 4 instead of full 6.〽️

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 9h9 hours ago
@Briuconn
B12 meets again on July 19th but we have no info if a decision will be made in that week.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h2 hours ago
@Movietime_Blues

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire May 30
BTM: If Texas pulls back from Reform (EXP/CCG) then next step will be Texas & OU working with TV partners on controlled B12 implosion.

This is where the B12 is..
No more gap between OU & UT on B12 future.
Clearing exit ramp

Stated by BTM on May 30th.
OU does not want to tack on any more years to B12 GOR...obligations in any manner

Main Goal of Oklahoma & Texas is to not harm the relationship as it works on 1 or both exits from B12 years from now.

To expand a conference takes a lot of investment...not just $...but time...building relationships...trouble shooting..Brand Extension.

Oklahoma/Boren were a willing partner in total B12 Reform.
But Texas spoke...and Texas spoke to OU.
And OU said "Ok"
Clearing pathway

Oklahoma wants to keep its valuable relationship with Texas intact after they leave B12.
OU will be successful in both..latest 2024

@UConnBig12
Only major realignment that can occur among P5 before 2024 is controlled B12 implosion with ESPN & FOX greasing the skids

@UConnBig12
2024 the B12 loses at least 1 valuable piece (OU)...
It's difficult to invest in a home you know will be leaving yrs from now

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 8h8 hours ago
@wvlawgeek Its important the Big 12 show its United and all members are committed to the conference for the long term. Expansion part of it.

@wvlawgeek People will attack me for this but the Big 12 still thinks it has a shot at FSU.

@wvlawgeek I don't normally say FSU for obvious reasons but they really think it's possible.

@98bearcat There was a real possibility the B12 would expand to 14 & give new members 50% of new money & give the rest to current members.

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV
The economic incentive is there for ESPN/Fox and the Big 12.

John Hemelgarn ‏@98bearcat · 8h8 hours ago
Also, have you noticed a lot less chatter about expansion this time than in June, think people are burnt out on it

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV
@98bearcat Big 12 wanted this one quiet. They were tired of the questions and embarrassment.

@wvlawgeek Only reason they wait is to see what FSU intends. No reason to really talk FSU either. Not worth the hassle.

@wvlawgeek @SwamiEER ND is always the wildcard for the ACC. But FSU is concerned about the ACC. Could open a door.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
FSU to B12 would be excellent for us.
I wouldn't hold my breath. If that happens as stupid as it sounds Houston may get a real look from the ACC. And Temple. They'd go best available football to replace FSU.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wouldn't hold my breath. If that happens as stupid as it sounds Houston may get a real look from the ACC. And Temple. They'd go best available football to replace FSU.

Just stop.

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
Lots of news. Just been so busy with flood cleanup. Check back here tonight.

H ver3 ‏@MH ver3 38m38 minutes ago
I don't have a lot of time to post but I will get out what I can.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 36m36 minutes ago
2 big roadblocks to expansion for B12. UT wanting to wait out ACC and OU AD hoping for a collapse and a move to SEC

But expansion won't die and has majority support as well as backing from Bowlsby after he combed through the data.

BYU has made huge inroads in the past few weeks with B12 and are now being seen as the leading school.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 35m35 minutes ago
Uconn and UC are neck and neck for the second spot with Uconn having the slightest of edges for now due to being a large state school

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 34m34 minutes ago
Some pretty severe in-fighting at OU between President and AD over future of B12 conference.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 33m33 minutes ago
Sorry I can't go into more detail right now but I promise to be back as soon as I can-gotta put my WVians first!

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 4m4 minutes ago
@MH ver3 president B10. AD and stoops B12, fans SEC

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Seriously. At this point, I just want the B12 to fall apart. I've had enough of reading all of the back-and-forth. "We need expansion." "We do not need expansion." "We will only expand if Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, UNC and Michigan join the conference."

Just take Oklahoma and put them in the SEC. Take Texas and put them in the ACC or PAC. Take Kansas and put them in the B1G. The rest of the B12 can join us in the AAC or go to the MWC.

Just please put this conference out of its tired misery.

Reaction Score
As much as I hoped that B12 expansion was actually going to happen, I think it's dead. The Oklahoma AD doesn't come out and say that if Oklahoma was still in on it. We already had the Texas AD on record saying it's dead. The only shot is the other 8 overruling the big 2 but don't see that as likely at all. The Big 12 will fall apart at the end of their TV deal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Seriously. At this point, I just want the B12 to fall apart. I've had enough of reading all of the back-and-forth. "We need expansion." "We do not need expansion." "We will only expand if Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, UNC and Michigan join the conference."

Just take Oklahoma and put them in the SEC. Take Texas and put them in the ACC or PAC. Take Kansas and put them in the B1G. The rest of the B12 can join us in the AAC or go to the MWC.

Just please put this conference out of its tired misery.

I think B12 expansion will come back, precisely because the B12 is going to fall apart. There aren't going to be a "P4" of conferences. I think it will stay at five. If the Big 12 adds two, then they can survive the loss of OU and UT with their contract and playoff status intact.

Reading between these lines, the camps would be:
UT: Let's wait for the B1G to wipe out the ACC, and pick up the scraps
OU: Let's add teams so OSU and other schools will still be in a P5 when we leave for the SEC

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but is thinking that the AAC long term necessarily a horrible thing? Of course, if ESPN holds a matching provision like the current contract, the answer is a resounding yes, but the AAC is ESPN's most valuable property in term of rate of return and ESPN is making a killing. Aresco will surely leverage that in the next negotiation and bid process.

I want an invite to a P5 conference as much as the next guy, but what is the TV contract going to look like for a conference of UConn and the "best" of the rest that more likely than probably won't include Texas, Oklahoma, or Kansas?

Reaction Score
I think B12 expansion will come back, precisely because the B12 is going to fall apart. There aren't going to be a "P4" of conferences. I think it will stay at five. If the Big 12 adds two, then they can survive the loss of OU and UT with their contract and playoff status intact.

Reading between these lines, the camps would be:
UT: Let's wait for the B1G to wipe out the ACC, and pick up the scraps
OU: Let's add teams so OSU and other schools will still be in a P5 when we leave for the SEC

IF UT & OU leave the B12 they are done as a P5 conference. No combination of UConn, Cinci, BYU, etc are going to provide enough juice to keep them as a P5 conference.

We will eventually get to a P4 when the GOR & TV contracts expire. The question will be which of the B12 or ACC survive? If the B1G & SEC are targeting UNC, UVA, VT, NC St & possibly Georgia Tech as future adds then the ACC dies and the B12 will likely have a realistic chance at adding FSU & Clemson and being the survivor.

That's why it is critical for UConn to get to a P5 conference ASAP. When Armageddon comes we need to already have a seat at the table because there are other more likely targets in line ahead of us to grab one of those P4 chairs. Otherwise it's a combination of the AAC and the remaining ACC schools in what will be a G4 conference. A little better for us in that we will resume old rivalries and will get some more cash but realistically not much better than where we are now.

Reaction Score
I wish this thread encompassed non-key emails that are sent by non-key tweeters. I need to vent and oh my goodness would I unload right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom