Non-Key Tweets | Page 493 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

pj

Reaction Score
The fine folks at A&M are laughing at you right now.

If Texas moves to the B1G, they'll be trumping A&M once again in revenue. Maybe SEC has more fans than B1G in Texas, which would help A&M, but it's not a bad thing to have a strong local rival with A&M as 1b to Texas's 1a -- see the UConn-BC football rivalry that should have been.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UT is arguably the most valuable brand in the college landscape. No matter what happens to the Big12 (based on the Big12's historical inability to make timely decisions and lack of central leadership, I'd say the Big12 future is very questionable) UT will be fine. There will always be a spot for them in the BIG or PAC. The only door which is probably closed to UT is the SEC.

The very desperation UConn feels is the exact opposite for UT. UT wants to sustain the status quo and even if the Big12 collapse around them there will be a lifeboat for them. UT is making crazy money and is exactly where it wants to be....in the driver's seat of the Big12. UT may help drive the Big12 car off a cliff but there is a new shiny car waiting for them in another conference and they will be one of the very few Big12 passengers which has a safe bail out before the wreck.

UT's conference future is safe even if their image gets further bruised. UT may have a perception issue and is one of the most bashed programs in America but finding a home will not be an issue for them. The heaviest cross UT will have to bear is probably accepting a rank and file position in a premier conference and no longer having a unilateral veto and disproportionate control.

UConn is fighting for survival. UT is fighting for control. I'd much rather be in their position.

Reaction Score
The Pac 12 spurned Texas. Not the other way around. That is important, because Texas is down to one chair in this game, the ACC, which is also on a sinking ship.

just a bit of an overstatement.

Recall what Scott said at the time - "Frankly, you can never be complacent but there's a sense that we're right there with any conference in the country in terms of the caliber of our TV deal both financially and exposure-wise."

Anything happen in terms of financial deals lately that might have Larry and his Presidents contemplating their level of complacency?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't get this tweet:

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 10m10 minutes ago

And because of this OU contacts have perception that in odd sort of manner Boren has lost some inertia..some power in B12 to move EXP faster

Is he saying that inertia is setting in, or that he has some power to move expansion faster?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you take his words at face value, he is saying both.

But I think he meant to say that perhaps he has lost some influence - I assume because it is generally easier to lob grenades at the high command when you're not actually the high commander.

Reaction Score
If you take his words at face value, he is saying both.

But I think he meant to say that perhaps he has lost some influence - I assume because it is generally easier to lob grenades at the high command when you're not actually the high commander.

Yes, he means the opposite of inertia. Momentum.

On the other hand, when you make the problem child the boss of the domain, you agree to let them shiv you on their way out the door. If history is any guide, Oklahoma is soon to exit in the middle of the night.

Reaction Score
just a bit of an overstatement.

Recall what Scott said at the time - "Frankly, you can never be complacent but there's a sense that we're right there with any conference in the country in terms of the caliber of our TV deal both financially and exposure-wise."

Anything happen in terms of financial deals lately that might have Larry and his Presidents contemplating their level of complacency?

I agree.

Texas and five other Big 12 schools had an invitation to join the Pac-10 in June 2010. Most of them opted to turn down the offer and stay in the Big 12. Whether Texas rejected the Pac-10 or the Pac-10 rejected Texas is more than just a spin. It's actually a chicken or the egg conundrum. Fox and ESPN deliberately overpaid for Big 12 content and ESPN also promised to set up the LHN to keep the Big 12 intact and its most valuable content out of Pac-10/Comcast hands.

So did Texas reject the Pac-10 to take Fox and ESPN's bribe? Yes. Did the Pac-10 reject Texas' last minute demands to match ESPN's promise to create a single school network. Yes to that too.

It's interesting to note, however, that three years later when OU and Oklahoma State flirted with the idea of leaving the Big 12 for the Pac-12, the Pac-12 wasn't interested unless Texas could come too.

All Texas would have to do is to give up the LHN, which is basically what they're being asked to do in the Big 12 right now. So nelsonmuntz shouldn't imagine for a minute that Texas is down to its last option. Like dwalks93 says, just about any conference except maybe the SEC would try to find a way to fit in Texas.

And as for the folks at A&M laughing at Texas, djct1999, that's okay. They're a fine institution and they're doing a lot of things right. If it gives them joy to surpass Texas in revenue, good for them.

Texas still isn't hurting.

And since I'm probably coming across as a typical Texas jerkwad in my defense of Texas, just let me say that I really hope Texas is working to appease OU, save the Big 12 and expand the conference by adding UConn and some other team. No matter what happens, I'm sure Texas will come off looking like the bad guy, but I just hope they do the right thing. And I'm very thankful nobody at Texas is saying anything lamentable at this time, like former AD DeLoss Dodds used to do all the time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've been waiting for Flug to comment on Fox streaming. Their streaming product is complete garbage.

Reaction Score
Yes, he means the opposite of inertia. Momentum.

On the other hand, when you make the problem child the boss of the domain, you agree to let them shiv you on their way out the door. If history is any guide, Oklahoma is soon to exit in the middle of the night.

Let's say OU and Kansas bolt the Big 12 for the B1G. Texas toys with the idea of leaving for the Pac but ultimately decides to stay in the Big 12. If the remaining eight schools extended an invitation to UConn and let's say Cincy, Memphis and UCF, would UConn fans want to join an OU-less Big 12 or would you be too apprehensive?

pj

Reaction Score
Let's say OU and Kansas bolt the Big 12 for the B1G. Texas toys with the idea of leaving for the Pac but ultimately decides to stay in the Big 12. If the remaining eight schools extended an invitation to UConn and let's say Cincy, Memphis and UCF, would UConn fans want to join an OU-less Big 12 or would you be too apprehensive?

It would be considerably better than the AAC, so yes. However, we'd be in another unstable conference, just as the #2 most valuable school instead of the #1 most valuable school. I'd have to think UConn to the B12 would not be the last move realignment.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'd still join because we need the money, but I'd keep my resume up to date and make sure I'm adding to my network on LinkedIn. Besides the money, it would wipe away the stigma that we're a G5 school once we join a P5 league.

Reaction Score
The Pac 12 spurned Texas. Not the other way around. That is important, because Texas is down to one chair in this game, the ACC, which is also on a sinking ship.

But if the SEC and Big Ten are going to be mega conferences, and the Pac wants to still be in the conversation if not their league, they will need to expand. And there is nowhere else for them to go but to or through Texas.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Definitely. If you add BYU, UConn, Cincinnati, 1 of the directional FL schools and Memphis/Houston to the "leftover B12" (WVU, ISU, KSU, OSU, TT, Baylor, TCU) it still leaps and bounds better than the AAC. We play sports against Tulane in our league. Tu. Bomb. Lane. There isn't a fanbase in the entire country that can get jacked to go watch their school play against Tulane (and many other AAC members) in any sport.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
But if the SEC and Big Ten are going to be mega conferences, and the Pac wants to still be in the conversation if not their league, they will need to expand. And there is nowhere else for them to go but to or through Texas.

Agree. Somewhere along the line, the PAC will need to expand just to keep up. Adding a slew of B12 "leftovers" won't cut it. They will need to lure either Texas, OU or even KU out west somehow. I don't know if it's possible or not or if the PAC aspires to be a P3 conference. But if they do, they need at least 1 of the top B12 candidates.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agree. Somewhere along the line, the PAC will need to expand just to keep up. Adding a slew of B12 "leftovers" won't cut it. They will need to lure either Texas, OU or even KU out west somehow. I don't know if it's possible or not or if the PAC aspires to be a P3 conference. But if they do, they need at least 1 of the top B12 candidates.

The PAC 12 will always be fine because there are enough athletes in their neck of the woods that they don't have to share to have quality teams.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h2 hours ago
BTM says no B1G raids will happen before 2024...zero reasons for it to happen. No incentive.
Properties B1G will target will be there 2024

BTM continues to state B1G next moves are KU/OU as 15/16....and 17/18 will work itself out...but to difficult to comment on now.

BTM: FOX getting 1/2 of B1G TV media is a clear message in conference realignment.
6 year deal is even a bigger one.

BTM: EXAMPLE:Check when Kansas is free of their current 3rd Teir deal.
Let's just say KU won't be renewing that deal,will run its course.

BTM: B1G 17/18 will be Eastern Expansion.
But who...impossible to know interest levels of UNC/Virginia/VT in 2025/26.

BTM: ESPN is not letting any ACC properties go...not until ACC GOR runs out...& ACC will be fed more $ to extend GOR

BTM: Will there be ACC schools interested in B1G & won't sign extended GOR's?
Probably..too many variables to comment on in any seriousness

BTM: But shared interest between B1G & KU/OU is known...it's a known factor.

BTM: Big 12 will remain a P5 conference far in future..even with roster shakeup in 5-6-7 years...this is the strong perception of B1G

BTM: This also seems to be perception of B12 schools who do not have another landing spot in future B12 shakeup.
So B12 expansion is slowed

OU Contacts: Big 12 will expand...it will be in Eastern Timezone...UC/UCONN most attractive candidates for increase exposure....but...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 2h2 hours ago ...but...the anticipation and now reality of what B1G will get in new media contracts...well...it's a bouquet of flowers to KU/OU.

And because of this OU contacts have perception that in odd sort of manner Boren has lost some inertia..some power in B12 to move EXP faster

BTM & OU contacts are in agreement...6 year deal with FOX is a precursor to B1G expanding with HUGE brands in West before eyes turn eastward

And those huge brands being KU/OU...of course.
BTM: Texas future can't be determined with any seriousness...except it will stay with ESPN

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
BTM: But Texas future does not include PAC or B1G possibilities....this is B1G strong perception.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 1h1 hour ago
So in conclusion BTM:
What we are seeing being played out in B1G Media deals for 2017-2023 is leading us to next B1G 100 year decision
OU/KU

Josh Cantor ‏@JCantor34 · 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire with all of this info has this changed your opinion on Big 12 expansion of UConn and Cinici?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@JCantor34
No...but timing may be slowed.
Big 12 needs to expand before it needs to backfill.
...for so many reasons.

@calluke1
B12 can wait forever to expand...
B12 can and will salvage Conf...but reality of OU:KU leaving B12 in 2024 is reality.

C.L.H. ‏@calluke1 · 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire so Big10 will not expand, ESPN will feed ACC $ to stay, & Big12 will add UCONN/UC this summer but OU/KU will bolt in 6 years?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@calluke1 Yes on all...except timing on B12 may now be slowed.
Odd power change...Boren has less now because OU future is in great shape

@80sTiger
Boren will try to lead charge for EXP...but others in B12 know OU got love letter from another Lover = B10.

@WesJacksonUSF Yeah...B10 is not raiding anyone now.
But 2023 Delany negotiates new deal and will add 2 HUGE very attainable brands: OU/KU

@JDLugOU
Boren will continue to lead B12 reform...but in all honesty...others in B12 have same perception as B1G....OU is gone in 2023/24

@JDLugOU
BTM has never believed OU would challenge the B12 GOR...GOR only gets over run by Conf Implosion

@JDLugOU And it's difficult to see implosion in B12 because of Disney/ESPN hold on Texas.

Zach Hedges ‏@zthedges · 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire @80sTiger if B12 knows OU/KU will eventually leave, isn't expansion even more necessary while conference is still stable?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@zthedges @80sTiger
Yes.
But B1G perception is in an odd way...the power has moved away from Boren to - KSU-BAY-WVU-TCU..and others.

@zthedges @80sTiger
Example: OU won't do any reform deal with an extend GOR as a piece of the deal.
Others will want an extension

Mike Orwig ‏@OCCReds · 2h2 hours ago
@flugempire it would seem B1G footprint expanding south along eastern seaboard into Florida is very important, no?

Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire
@OCCReds
Yes.
But not attainable for now..and after OU/KU.

Reaction Score
Flugaur's logic makes sense. I think it is exactly what will happen as well. The only sad thing is UCONN might be stuck in the AAC while waiting for the B12 to make a decision. I still hope B12 will want 12 schools so they can have 6 per division. It is much easier than just 10 with 5 in a division. If B12 can expand now without losing money, why wait? The only thing that could cause problems is if as part of the expansion, schools also want more years added to the GOR. If OU and Kansas indeed have overtures from the B1G, I doubt they will want additional years on the GOR.

This is a sad place to be as an UCONN fan.

Reaction Score
Yep, at this point in order to change the direction of this absent some schools jumping and breaking their current obligations it's likely to take some creative $ risk on behalf of a benefactor tv deal to change the trend here. A tv deal which would enable existing schools to make competitive dollars with the b10 and sec which benefits them as well is needed to shake this thing up. The problem appears to be though that the current tv partners of even the existing deals with the b10 and sec are not rolling in the dough from those deals, or in fact it's difficult to determine. It's almost as if they are negotiating first to cover their overhead.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If OU/KU leaving is what happens, then it all comes back to Texas. If they want to remain in the B12 without all their traditional rivals then Texas will pick the replacements and they will come from the ACC if the money is significantly better in the B12, FSU and Clemson the most likely replacements.

After that it's anyone's guess, does the ACC implode, are there more defections to the B10 and SEC. Does the B12 take 2 more teams? Are they from the ACC or AAC?

Is anyone left in the ACC besides the old Big East teams and the bottom of the tobacco road shoe? Is that a major conference?

Reverse the process if Texas wants an ND deal with the ACC. Are the B12 leftovers a major conference?

Reaction Score
Best thing that can happen right now for UCONN is Texas leaving the B12 and go to the ACC. Texas and ACC are ESPN properties so it will be an easy transition provided rest of the B12 agree to let them go. If OU/KU leaving is inevitable, B12 is better off just let Texas go now so they can try to build up the conference. Texas is gone if KU and OU are gone. There is no way Texas will stay behind in that conference. Texas can get the ND deal and remain in the ACC until B1G picks it apart. By then, Texas can decide to join B1G, SEC, or the PAC. Either way, Texas will be fine.

All the B12 schools other than Texas, KU, and OU must make decisions for themselves now if they want to survive. Expanding now is the right answer since there is strength in numbers. Also, it is easy to expand right now while they still got KU and OU for a few years. If UCONN and Cincy are onboard, it will lessen the impact when OU/KU/Texas leave. Hopefully, B1G will pick off a few ACC schools and B12 can either merge with the remaining or pick off remaining ACC schools.

Whether B12 make the right decision or not, it remains to be seen. Based on the history, I think B12 acts more like the old BE and will make all the wrong decisions. I hope I am wrong for UCONN's sake, but I haven't seen any pro-expansion movement out of B12 schools like TCU, ISU, KSU etc. They can't be this clueless but who knows.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If our choice is leftover Big 12 or leftover ACC, I'd with leftover ACC and not be unhappy with it. That's not saying that it would be a great conference for us. It would have it's flaws. It would, however, would be light years better than our current circumstances.

Reaction Score
If our choice is leftover Big 12 or leftover ACC, I'd with leftover ACC and not be unhappy with it. That's not saying that it would be a great conference for us. It would have it's flaws. It would, however, would be light years better than our current circumstances.

Can we get the Garden back or do we use Brooklyn?

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 1h1 hour ago
Ok so the latest I can share: B12 is not putting the brakes on anything but B10 is turning up the heat on ACC.

Swofford has been in touch with Bowlsby daily since B10 new contract has been announced.

Swofford is afraid of losing schools and he knows without a ACCN the GOR is WEAK

Swofford wants what a good chunk of ACC schools want:to remain intact.

VT has no desire to go to sec nor does NCST

Swofford is discussing with Bowlsby the possibility of a pooling of resources if the ACC loses schools.

Not a full on merger but a true alliance that would see the end of both brands and a new super brand formed.

Bowlsby is interested enough in the idea to keep taking the calls.

Such a thing could be done in a way to completely dissolve both conferences and form a new one from the ashes.

This would end any current contracts.

But UT and LHN issue would have to be solved.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 60m60 minutes ago
And B12 presidents would have to agree to such a thing.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 59m59 minutes ago
On the plus side it would be a conference that commands the largest TV share in the country and have several historical power schools

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 59m59 minutes ago
Not saying any of this will happen but things are getting crazy.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 58m58 minutes ago
Oh and Notre Dame would have to be all-in as well.

MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 57m57 minutes ago
Meanwhile B12 continues to get data pouring in on G5 schools and aside from Uconn and BYU the numbers aren't great. Not even for Cincy.

Randy Watts ‏@randywatts7 9h9 hours ago
@Bluevodreal @mizakgroup what is the reasoning behind only taking two teams now? Wait on the GOR to run out on the big12 and poaching there?

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 9h9 hours ago
@randywatts7 @mizakgroup $$$ sharing of the big deal.

Genetics56 ‏@Genetics56 9h9 hours ago
@Bluevodreal @randywatts7 @mizakgroup $$$$! Need to be markets that can increase $$$$ not devalue payout. GA Tech, FSU, UNC, ND

Randy Watts ‏@randywatts7 8h8 hours ago
@Genetics56 @Bluevodreal @mizakgroup Agree, why then only take 2 of the 4 previously mentioned from the ACC? won't all add value?

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 7h7 hours ago
@randywatts7 @Genetics56 @mizakgroup not sure that was thrown out my someone but my contacts have never said that.

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 6h6 hours ago
So far my Fox and ESPN contact have been spot on. Let's now see the second half deal.

Matthew D Carlson ‏@mcgoblue 6h6 hours ago
@Bluevodreal when do you see the next half going?

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 5h5 hours ago
@mcgoblue ESPN. Needs the lion's share bad and will not get outbid.

Genetics56 ‏@Genetics56 5h5 hours ago
@Bluevodreal You think ESPN pays about $150M/year and NBC pays about $150M/year?

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 4h4 hours ago
@Genetics56 ESPN will get bulk but would not be shocked NBC get's CG. That would make a ND entry plausible.

Justin Lugo ‏@JDLugOU 58m58 minutes ago
@Bluevodreal how can you be so sure it won't be OU/KU? Worth mentioning all have flirted with the idea in the past. Just curious.

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 48m48 minutes ago
@JDLugOU I would love it and it was mentioned a few months ago. I have not heard a peep sense so it is dead or great Headfake.

Justin Lugo ‏@JDLugOU 34m34 minutes ago
@Bluevodreal this stuff and recruiting keep me entertained until the action starts this fall

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 32m32 minutes ago
@JDLugOU it is really getting interesting. Lots of money everyone wants that $500 million from the Big 10.

Justin Lugo ‏@JDLugOU 36m36 minutes ago
@Bluevodreal I remember hearing great headfakes were going to happen, would be continuous and Big12 GOR expires around when new tv deal does

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 34m34 minutes ago
@JDLugOU someone just 5 minutes ago told me Okl and Ku I do not buy the Ku part must be a Headfake.

Bluevod ‏@Bluevodreal 36m36 minutes ago
@JDLugOU I miss read I thought you said Okl and Texas. That is what I heard awhile back. I know Okl wants big 10 bad and Big 10 wants Texas.

ME: If I had a dollar every time that imbecile says the word "headfake" on every tweet... :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom