NCAA just killed the AAC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NCAA just killed the AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yea, right after the Big10 comes knocking. You're delusional if you think UCONN has a snowball's chance in hell at joining the BE. If the BE expands, and that's a big IF, look to SLU or Dayton. Like the rest of the conference, small, bb only, Catholic, and...no interest in aligning with a large public institution who sold it's bb soul for it's crappy football program. Have you read about Icarus?

Thank your for your interest in UConn Basketball,

1999/2004/2011/2014

Reaction Score
Those football "lunkheads" are the ones who held the conference's basketball prestige up for 20 years, but nice try.

1. I hope you're not including UCONN in with the actual football teams.
2. BE football sucked. While Pitt and Cuse had some good runs, their sh!tty football teams destroyed the conference.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
2. BE football sucked. While Pitt and Cuse had some good runs, their sh!tty football teams destroyed the conference.

1. You're a troll
2. Nobody cares what you think.
3. 1999/2004/2011/2014

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

1) UConn has a football team, right? So yes, I included UConn.

2) Please tell me the last time a non-football BE school won a basketball national title? It's a trick question, by the way. Yeah, it was the football schools...

Edit: for the record, please name the last non-football school, regardless of conference, won a basketball national title. The answer is still the same, by the way.

Bye troll.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good idea. I was on the fence before today but now I'm convinced that it would be better to be in a power conference.
You are on a roll Big E. Funny stuff.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Want in to a P5 conference? Get behind the XLC retrofit plan, that's a significant piece to the P5 puzzle. Gampel is not an attractive venue to a P5 conference, plain and simple no matter how much people here drool over it. It's a glorified gymnasium.

2-3 years from now when the XLC retrofit begins and the football program is back on the upswing we will have a much stronger to be made.

No. Want into a P5? Build what the new XL Center would be on the campus in Storrs. Look at the on campus arenas in the B1G and then get back to me.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
No. Want into a P5? Build what the new XL Center would be on the campus in Storrs. Look at the on campus arenas in the B1G and then get back to me.

Not feasible. Would never get state funding. Gampel was intentionally built small so they could continue using HCC. The conversation you propose would go something like this:

Herbst: Governor, you know that new XL Center everyone is talking about? We are interested in using that state funding to build that type of arena on c-

Governor: No.

Herbst: But it would rea-

Herbst: It would be great for UC-

Herbst (aside): OK guys, cancel the backhoe we have en route.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Not feasible. Would never get state funding. Gampel was intentionally built small so they could continue using HCC. The conversation you propose would go something like this:

Herbst: Governor, you know that new XL Center everyone is talking about? We are interested in using that state funding to build that type of arena on c-

Herbst: But it would rea-

Herbst: It would be great for UC-

Herbst (aside): OK guys, cancel the backhoe we have en route.

Which is one of the many reasons why we are left behind in the AAC and not in one of these conferences. State politics hindering what the University could/should become. UConn no doubt has achieved an incredible amount of success as an athletic department but the overall environment around the school is incredibly political/controversial.

Imagine the state of Ohio intentionally building Ohio State's arena too small so they had to play their games in downtown Columbus at the Nationwide Arena. Would never in a million years happen. Yet it's acceptable here. Blows my mind.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Which is one of the many reasons why we are left behind in the AAC and not in one of these conferences. State politics hindering what the University could/should become. UConn no doubt has achieved an incredible amount of success as an athletic department but the overall environment around the school is incredibly political/controversial.

Imagine the state of Ohio intentionally building Ohio State's arena too small so they had to play their games in downtown Columbus at the Nationwide Arena. Would never in a million years happen. Yet it's acceptable here. Blows my mind.

Because Columbus is the largest city in Ohio and OSU is already located there? Pretty easy travel to get to the school's arena. You can build a large arena by the school because the people are already there.

Look, I don't necessarily disagree that we should have a bigger on campus arena, but we still need an arena in the capital city, too, and unless you'd like to finance two arenas, you're not getting a mega one in Storrs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You're like that little dog that won't shut it's yap.
Do you remember back in March 1, 2013 when you couldn't wait to come back to the boneyard in a year and see what UConn hoops is doing? Go search your own posts, it's pretty funny.

You're like Seanmc, both of you should just stay off this site because you both embarass yourselves with your bold declarations. Just remember you will never sip from the chalice we have 4 times. Ever.

But hey, congrats on being a conference that you love. Because obviously that's much more important than, oh I don't know - say winning a National Championship?

images

Reaction Score
Yea, right after the Big10 comes knocking. You're delusional if you think UCONN has a snowball's chance in hell at joining the BE. If the BE expands, and that's a big IF, look to SLU or Dayton. Like the rest of the conference, small, bb only, Catholic, and...no interest in aligning with a large public institution who sold it's bb soul for it's crappy football program. Have you read about Icarus?

How quaint - you think realignment is about "likemindedness" and religion. I hate to break up ur puppy dogs and sunshine view of the world, but realignment is about economics, which you clearly have no grasp of if you think SLU and Dayton are preferable. Adding a marquee b-ball brand, which the conference currently lacks and reigniting historical rivalries, not to mention the fact that Uconn probably increases the alumni base of the conference by 50% given its size, will make the next TV contract much much better. It also improves the position in NYC where Uconn gets as much coverage as Saint John's. So to put it your words, when the 'ships (championships that is) are ready to sail, the NBE will be waiting with open arms.

Sorry if our plan B is whichever school you root for's Plan A.

Reaction Score
And by the way, where were you from March 2014 until yday? Did something happen say last April that would keep you from trolling this board? I am guessing you are a PC fan who in March 2014 was on cloud 9 after winning the watered down BE tourney (after count em 2 wins in the real BE tourney in the 2000s - sad but true) and couldn't show his face on this board after Uconn won the NC. That is until we missed the tourney and you magically reappeared. You seem to only come around when PC is doing better than Uconn, or at least you think they are (how'd that assumption work out for you last March). Hope you like the taste of crow and see you again in a few years after PC embarasses itself in the tourney.

Reaction Score
Good idea. I was on the fence before today but now I'm convinced that it would be better to be in a power conference.
The AAC didn't screw us this year. We screwed ourselves. We were horrible this year. If we were in the ACC our record would have been no better 18-16 (8-10) and we would have lost in the quarterfinals. At least in the American we had a chance to make it still. We had a horrible year epitomized by 3 last second fouls by our best player that ruined any shot of win yesterday. We should top of the conference every year. KO just needs to lock down those recruits!

Reaction Score
Ugh are they really just going to go the renovation route? Cheap..

It's practically the same thing. Differences being: 1-2k more seats, $10M NHL upgrade already built in and a larger staging area for events in the $500M plan. I don't think that warrants an additional $250M investment and I doubt the political exists to secure upwards of $500M.

Reaction Score

Non-starter.

Reaction Score
It's practically the same thing. Differences being: 1-2k more seats, $10M NHL upgrade already built in and a larger staging area for events in the $500M plan. I don't think that warrants an additional $250M investment and I doubt the political exists to secure upwards of $500M.
A renovated XL wont raise the NHL's eyebrows. Poorly designed building after the roof collapse and will only get worse trying to cram more seats into the worst seating bowl I've ever sat in. Do you really think they can turn that building into a modern marvel over 3 summers? I want the NHL back too but it looks like the state is using that dream well aware it wont happen without a new arena.

Reaction Score
A renovated XL wont raise the NHL's eyebrows. Poorly designed building after the roof collapse and will only get worse trying to cram more seats into the worst seating bowl I've ever sat in. Do you really think they can turn that building into a modern marvel over 3 summers? I want the NHL back too but it looks like the state is using that dream well aware it wont happen without a new arena.

I don't know if you've read the report SCI put out there or not but by acquiring the atrium from Northland, the XLC would be one of the LARGEST buildings in the entire NHL sq ft wise. Bigger than the TD Garden, Rogers Arena in Vancouver, the ACC in Toronto and Madison Square Garden. NHL has said we need a facility and this retrofitted XL Center is for all intents and purposes completely transformed, the main question of the league's is can the building generate enough revenue to reach a certain threshold of there's and the answer is yes, in fact it will have the ability to out perform a lot of current NHL buildings. Look at the MTS Centre nothing special at all, 15,000 seats and not nearly as much corporate seating as preferred yet the NHL approved that, the XL Center after this will be much nicer and have a higher threshold for generating revenue.

Take a look at pages 16 (A12) & 17 (A13) of the report: http://www.courant.com/real-estate/hc-pdf-hartford-stadium-study-20150219-htmlstory.html

Reaction Score
I don't know if you've read the report SCI put out there or not but by acquiring the atrium from Northland, the XLC would be one of the LARGEST buildings in the entire NHL sq ft wise. Bigger than the TD Garden, Rogers Arena in Vancouver, the ACC in Toronto and Madison Square Garden. NHL has said we need a facility and this retrofitted XL Center is for all intents and purposes completely transformed, the main question of the league's is can the building generate enough revenue to reach a certain threshold of there's and the answer is yes, in fact it will have the ability to out perform a lot of current NHL buildings. Look at the MTS Centre nothing special at all, 15,000 seats and not nearly as much corporate seating as preferred yet the NHL approved that, the XL Center after this will be much nicer and have a higher threshold for generating revenue.

Take a look at pages 16 (A12) & 17 (A13) of the report: http://www.courant.com/real-estate/hc-pdf-hartford-stadium-study-20150219-htmlstory.html
I've read that before and it's laughable. First off a real report would have renderings and facts about a new arena rather than showing complete bias towards one option. Also a new arena wouldn't cost 500 or whatever million dollars. KFC Yum was built for 230 and Quebec for 400. From the renderings in this report they aren't even touching the seating bowl which is a travesty seeing how steep it is right now. Look this report was exactly what the state wanted (and paid for) a cheaper alternative to a long term problem. Renovate the arena and we're having this same convo in 20 years. They're using the NHL hope to try and get approval but to think the NHL is drooling over a 40 year old building with a facelift when other cities are building state of the art juggernauts is funny. CT is showing how serious they are about attracting an NHL team.

Reaction Score
It definitely would cost upwards of $500M with higher costs being associated with construction in this state and the rise of bond interest rates by the time construction would be set to begin. Just to reiterate what I said the MTS Centre is certainly no "juggernaut" and the new XLC will be a much better and newer arena across the board yet Winnipeg secured a team.

Also if you look closer they do in fact address the upper bowl's steepness. Compare the sections of seating in the report to the existing seating chart of the arena. They're condensing the seating in the upper bowl into less sections spreading it out horizontally as opposed to how it is now which is vertically and that will in turn make it closer to the ice.

In the end like I said if you're the league or an ownership group the main issue is can your building generate the necessary revenue to sustain a team? This building will check that box off and the only thing 40 yrs old would be it's steel super structure. The investment of $250M (+$15M NHL upgrade & $35M renovation) is comparable to almost every other market out there, the circumstances are just different because the XLC needs to stay open to accommodate UConn Hockey because if it were to be demolished they'd have to find a new home for the 2017-18 & 2018-19 seasons and the only option is BPort which was a miserable arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom