Most "memorable" losses or losses you will not be able to forget | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Most "memorable" losses or losses you will not be able to forget

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
George Mason beyond question. What pissed me off about the 6OT game was that Calhoun stubbornly refused to put in Mandeldove and we played a long time without a center and with walk-ons on the floor. Mandeldove certainly isn't most people's idea of a savior, but in that game we'd have had a better chance with him than without him.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
How can it be anything else? Worst gut punch ever. I was literally in a daze.

Yup. You can really categorize this board by age from the replies. For those of us old enough to be engaged since, at minimum, the entire Calhoun era there is simply no other response. 90 was the worst. 94 (sweet 16 with Carolina out of our path because BC), 96 (loaded) , and 2006 (FGM) all hurt. Bad. 95 and 2002 we were simply beat by a team as good as, or better than us. No different than 98. Just closer games.
But we were a finger tip deflection and a double pump jumper in OT from the FF in 90. Elation to dejection in a Blur. Totally a gut punch. More like a kick in the nads. The youngsters here are lucky to not have lived through that game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Serious: Same as above. Nice write up @boog204. Add the loss to Kansas at Hartford Civic Center Jan 1997. Minus Ricky and Kirk against #1 Kansas, place was electric and the team almost won. Best atmosphere I was ever at and that includes MSG BE tourney UConn vs. Pitt. I hate the NCAA.

Short memory losses: Wagner and Northeastern. As much because of the posters who need to put KO down as for the losses themselves.

Losses listed by posters are primarily post season NCAA losses. I think this makes a case that NC's are more valuable than regular season accomplishments. Just amazing how close UConn came to winning more than four.

Real losses: Mom, Dad, my dog, my cat, and many relatives and friends.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yup. You can really categorize this board by age from the replies. For those of us old enough to be engaged since, at minimum, the entire Calhoun era there is simply no other response. 90 was the worst. 94 (sweet 16 with Carolina out of our path because BC), 96 (loaded) , and 2006 (FGM) all hurt. Bad. 95 and 2002 we were simply beat by a team as good as, or better than us. No different than 98. Just closer games.
But we were a finger tip deflection and a double pump jumper in OT from the FF in 90. Elation to dejection in a Blur. Totally a gut punch. More like a kick in the nads. The youngsters here are lucky to not have lived through that game.
Yep. More like a kick to the nads that pushed them into the gut. Two games in a row that went last play. That dream season had a nightmare ending.

August_West

Reaction Score
Florida 94'. Donyell missed the 2 free throws and only needed 1 to ice it and send us to the FF.

Thats not true.
I mean it was probably a given considering the next game woudve been against BC which was an automatic win for us in those days, but the Florida game was a sweet 16 game. Not an elite 8 game.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The Duke loss is the most iconic, but the Mississippi State game made me despair like nothing before or since. I hate that we live in a world where Ray Allen never got to play in a Final 4.

Reaction Score
I think Florida is the worst. Dook 90 was absolutely gut wrenching, but we were playing with house money after Clemson and the good vibes of that season mitigated the loss, the future was bright. Against Florida, UConn pulling defeat from jaws of victory was a 'we truly may never make a final four' moment of utter despair.

Both losses made the 1999 Gonzaga & Dook wins all the sweeter & took away much of the awful taste of those two defeats.

I think the despair was far greater two years later when we lost to Miss. St. Florida was manhandling us inside and exposed a clear weakness in our team's makeup (remember the "donut team" label?). '96 was much more of a team-wide gag job which really made you think that we may never get over the mountain, which was extra tough to swallow given that Scalitoing UMass made the Final Four that year.

Reaction Score
George Mason-'06 (Best UConn team to not make the final 4).

No. 95 was better. The '06 team had a major flaw (one ball handler), and the sheer volume of talent in the frontcourt masked it for most of the season.

Reaction Score
Serious: Same as above. Nice write up @boog204. Add the loss to Kansas at Hartford Civic Center Jan 1997. Minus Ricky and Kirk against #1 Kansas, place was electric and the team almost won.

Holy crap, I forgot to add Kansas in 96/97! The first 10 minutes of that game are just so incredible to watch. We're hitting 3's, playing D, atmosphere was amazing. Pretty sure they got a standing O as they walked off the floor. That game showed me that that group could win a title.

Reaction Score
All of my all time memorable loses were before our first championship.

90 vs Duke is #1 for me. I was 12 and still remember the numb feeling when Laettner's shot went through.

94 vs Florida is #2. Marshall bricked 2 free throws. I remember my dad going nuts, first time I had ever seen him that upset after a game.

96 vs Miss State is #3. That Uconn team was stacked, Ray Allen was my favorite Uconn player of all time. I though after that game we were cursed and would never get to a F4.

These are my three, too.

Reaction Score
An odd thread, but what are Uconn losses you will never forget?

Syracuse 127 Uconn 117 in 6 overtimes will top the list for most, I am sure. I could not even get angry, it was just so epic.

UCLA 102 Uconn 96 - A shoot out in the mid 1990s. A classic game, even though Uconn was on the losing end, it was no shame losing to them.

Ole Miss 60 Uconn 55 - This team was stacked, one of the hardest losses to take, which is why I will never forget. I think many people had Uconn in the final 4, so hard score to see.

Florida 69 Uconn 60 OT - Another very hard loss to take. One of the first games I watched as a fan, but I never left after that.

Gmason over Uconn in overtime 86-84. Many people thought this Uconn team had the talent to make a title run or at least make the final 4. Those dreams were ended a little too short. I think this 2006 team had more talent than 2011 and 2014 but less heart. Much less heart. This was very painful.

San Diego 70 Uconn 69. One of the very few times Uconn lost in the first round under Calhoun and for that, one that will be hard to forget.

In 1999 when the cuse stomped Uconn, I do not recall the score, but it was when Uconn had two short term injuries. For some reason I felt calm after that, I felt like Uconn was going to come back with a vengeance! A 70-59 win over Stanford soon after, on the road no less, would prove that and a 62-48 win over MSU.

edit: I think that cuse game was 59-42

They're all forgettable (especially if they involve the Cuse - those didn't happen:cool:). I remember all of the above except 1990, I've only seen replays of the Duke game. Those losses, all the way up to George Mason, stung, but I think after winning our last two titles, those losses don't come to mind as much.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No. 95 was better. The '06 team had a major flaw (one ball handler), and the sheer volume of talent in the frontcourt masked it for most of the season.
"06 might have the edge with 4 1st round picks and 1 second but for a team that loaded and ranked so high all season, they really didn't blow out any BE opponents and struggled in the tourney vs Washington and of course the GM debacle.
Can't imagine what it would have been like if Bynam didn't go to the NBA.
But the other loss that year which really got me was in the BE tournament - we had just made it into NYC, didn't even check into the hotel, and when the game was over we checked in with no games to look forward to. Freak'n Cuse beats UConn in OT in the quarters. We said to hell with it and sold our 4 packages to some Nova and Gtown fans, made $150 over face value each, spent to money on food and concerts - watched the games in the hotel or drinking holes. Thinking about that, after going to all the BE tourneys, that was probably the most carefree and pleasant times in March in NYC (except for the UConn BE championships)

Reaction Score
The Duke loss is the most iconic, but the Mississippi State game made me despair like nothing before or since. I hate that we live in a world where Ray Allen never got to play in a Final 4.

Yeah, easily Mississippi State here too. The Duke loss was a bittersweet ending, but the whole Dream Season was such a wonderful and unexpected ride that I couldn't be too down about it. It hurt for a few days, but the overall gloriousness of that season eased the pain.

Mississippi State on the other hand....I have to believe that most of the posters who go on about the need for dominant seasons were too young to really experience that 1994-96 period. That was our most dominant run of regular seasons ever - 49-5 in the Big East - and we went to two Sweet 16's and a Final Eight. But when the final whistle blew against Miss St, none of that mattered in the least. There was only misery. We had failed again when the lights were brightest, our core was moving on, and who knew when, or if, we'd be back. That was very, very tough to deal with.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Just watched Duke 90 on YouTube. Adelnaby missing that bunny at the end of regulation made me feel good. Then the last sequence made me feel sad. Not so much not covering the inbounder as not covering Laettner. He never should have been left alone no matter where he was on the court. Oh well, stuff happens. But it was not the most egregious example of not covering the inbounder. Just watch the last play of the NC last year. Jenkins is Nova's best shooter and he inbounds and runs down the court unguarded. After a time out? That's a no no Roy.

Reaction Score
These are my three, too.

Yeah had a real hard time not including Miss ST agree on that one big time. I mean if Ricky was on the bench where he belonged vs Colgate late we win that game he would've been playing in this one. He would have locked down Wilson or the other guard (ballard?) and kept one of them from having a career game. And Sheffer had the bad hami......this UConn team was very underrated!

Reaction Score
I'll go off the grid with a game I was at in North Carolina. 1998 Elite 8 game in Greensboro - "Neutral" site game against UNC, although that UNC team was loaded and I think it set us up for 1999 Championship. I was also at the Mason loss, that one stung. Miss St hurt but 94 Florida hurt the most. Especially since Donyell was out until like 5:00 AM that same day leading up to the game!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
great list by OP

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Pittsburgh. At gampel. Musta been 03 or 04. Rudy gay team. Its a straight up blizzard, we're on espn prime time.

They opened the doors to students because people couldnt make it in. Im a year removed from storrs and i just spent a bunch of time at Ted's. We go up 15. Maybe 20. Patoni tiles were shaking free from the roof.

We mailed in the second half and lost. That was a looong ride home.

It haunts my sleep.

August_West

Reaction Score
Pittsburgh. At gampel. Musta been 03 or 04. Rudy gay team. Its a straight up blizzard, we're on espn prime time.

They opened the doors to students because people couldnt make it in. Im a year removed from storrs and i just spent a bunch of time at Ted's. We go up 15. Maybe 20. Patoni tiles were shaking free from the roof.

We mailed in the second half and lost. That was a looong ride home.

It haunts my sleep.
Chevy F'in Troutman

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Chevy F'in Troutman

The guy was really good with the talent he had. Smart, tough, pain in the ass opponent who would find lots of ways to foul without being called. How we would kill for a Chevy Troutman today.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
While this isn't technically correct, since it was a Sweet 16 game, for all intents and purposes it is, since we would have gone on to play BCU and at that point I think we had beaten them 18 or 19 times in a row. For me, the 3 year stretch of losses in the tourney that this started were the worst: First, we needed only 1 free throw from a guy who had gone 20/20 from the line just a couple weeks before, then we play one of the best games we've ever played in the tourney only to lose to UCLA, followed by maybe our worst performance ever in the tourney, somehow only scoring 55 points and losing to Miss St. At that point, I really thought we'd never make a Final Four.

Tremendous post, that mirrors my thoughts and memories perfectly.

And i didn't become a UConn fan until Donyell's year, so that loss shocked me (though I can't personally use it cuz at age 11 I didn't watch, I found out the next day and was stunned, I thought we'd smoke Fla).

Then Ray was my fav player and still is, and that and '96 were my first two seasons being a diehard, start to finish. Then Ray left, and as a youngster I was devastated.

Reaction Score
George f###ing Mason. And until I can hear Living on a Prayer played at a wedding or bar mitzvah without having to walk out for air, I wish you clowns would stop acting as if anything comes close to that

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom