Most "memorable" losses or losses you will not be able to forget | The Boneyard

Most "memorable" losses or losses you will not be able to forget

Reaction Score
An odd thread, but what are Uconn losses you will never forget?

Syracuse 127 Uconn 117 in 6 overtimes will top the list for most, I am sure. I could not even get angry, it was just so epic.

UCLA 102 Uconn 96 - A shoot out in the mid 1990s. A classic game, even though Uconn was on the losing end, it was no shame losing to them.

Ole Miss 60 Uconn 55 - This team was stacked, one of the hardest losses to take, which is why I will never forget. I think many people had Uconn in the final 4, so hard score to see.

Florida 69 Uconn 60 OT - Another very hard loss to take. One of the first games I watched as a fan, but I never left after that.

Gmason over Uconn in overtime 86-84. Many people thought this Uconn team had the talent to make a title run or at least make the final 4. Those dreams were ended a little too short. I think this 2006 team had more talent than 2011 and 2014 but less heart. Much less heart. This was very painful.

San Diego 70 Uconn 69. One of the very few times Uconn lost in the first round under Calhoun and for that, one that will be hard to forget.

In 1999 when the cuse stomped Uconn, I do not recall the score, but it was when Uconn had two short term injuries. For some reason I felt calm after that, I felt like Uconn was going to come back with a vengeance! A 70-59 win over Stanford soon after, on the road no less, would prove that and a 62-48 win over MSU.

edit: I think that cuse game was 59-42

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
MSU 2009 & Mason 2006 are probably close to tied for 1st for me ... I was a new husky fan and def hurt for 94-96 losses, but I wasn't a diehard like I was in 06/09.

I guess I'll have to say, upon further thought, that 06 probably hurts personally more because I watched every second of every game of that tourney with the belief we'd ultimately win, and getting GM in E8 felt like a wrap.

2009 I was all over that team, but I remember being excited but terrified of UNC, and some talked to me in the bathroom for literally 20-25 minutes, I lost track of time, and missed almost the whole second half. I walked back in, realizing I let way too much time go, and we were down I believe 11 and i almost peed myself. But I was gooned up on beers so I quickly tried to forget until the next day.

Reaction Score
I can vaguely remember a regular season Uconn game, I think it was against Miami if I'm not mistaken, where Uconn was up by something like 4 with 3 seconds to go. Miami hit a 2 pointer, then Uconn made a lazy last second inbounds pass that was stolen, dibbled out to the 3 point line, and Miami drilled it to win the game by 1 at the buzzer. I can't remember specific players involved but that is one of the more disappointing games that has stuck in my memory for a long time. Had to have been over 10 years ago...

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I can vaguely remember a regular season Uconn game, I think it was against Miami if I'm not mistaken, where Uconn was up by something like 4 with 3 seconds to go. Miami hit a 2 pointer, then Uconn made a lazy last second inbounds pass that was stolen, dibbled out to the 3 point line, and Miami drilled it to win the game by 1 at the buzzer. I can't remember specific players involved but that is one of the more disappointing games that has stuck in my memory for a long time. Had to have been over 10 years ago..

Can't remember kids name, #21 tall skinny guy. Their best player. Step back in the corner, nailed it. 5 points in like 3 seconds or something, others will remember. Darius comes to mind but I forgot his name haha

Edit: Darius Rice?

Reaction Score
I can vaguely remember a regular season Uconn game, I think it was against Miami if I'm not mistaken, where Uconn was up by something like 4 with 3 seconds to go. Miami hit a 2 pointer, then Uconn made a lazy last second inbounds pass that was stolen, dibbled out to the 3 point line, and Miami drilled it to win the game by 1 at the buzzer. I can't remember specific players involved but that is one of the more disappointing games that has stuck in my memory for a long time. Had to have been over 10 years ago..

Shamon Tooles thew a terrible pass to Darius Rice and he nailed it. I was at Huskies so it was 2003 or 2004.

Reaction Score
Ole Miss 60 Uconn 55 - This team was stacked, one of the hardest losses to take, which is why I will never forget. I think many people had Uconn in the final 4, so hard score to see.
Mississippi State. Ole Miss is University of Mississippi. And yes I agree that loss stung.

Reaction Score
Losing to MSU in 09. Vaguely, because I was hammered, but I'll never forget the kid down the hall destroying the fountain in the hall (Russel 2nd floor)

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned that Miami regular season win giving up a 4 point lead in a few seconds. That one was crushing.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
George Mason

Mississippi State

2002 Maryland

2012 Iowa State ( The Royce White beat down)

2011 Battle 4 Atlantis vs UCF - I hated losing to Marcus Jordan. His Momma Juanita was there. Momma Napier and Momma Walker were there .That was the highlight of Marcus's career. It was such a big deal to him.

Reaction Score
All of my all time memorable loses were before our first championship.

90 vs Duke is #1 for me. I was 12 and still remember the numb feeling when Laettner's shot went through.

94 vs Florida is #2. Marshall bricked 2 free throws. I remember my dad going nuts, first time I had ever seen him that upset after a game.

96 vs Miss State is #3. That Uconn team was stacked, Ray Allen was my favorite Uconn player of all time. I though after that game we were cursed and would never get to a F4.

Reaction Score
I think the Mason game was the first loss which caused me to become actually distraught. My peak emotional investment in the team came between the ages of 18-25 and this was the defining loss of that era. 6 OT would be a contender but I blacked out in 3rd OT and had to watch the highlights to see what happened. The GM game is probably a close 2nd to LuGo's dribbler up the middle in 2001 in terms of emotional devastation in any sport. Thanks for bringing back these memories OP.

Reaction Score
I was literally at almost all of these games mentioned on this thread lol. 90 Uconn Duke & The Meadowlands. 6 OT game. MSU in Detroit in 09. Maryland game in the final 8 up in Syracuse. The Florida game in Miami in 94. George Mason in Washington in 06. I was even at the UNC game in 98 in Greensboro. Looking back on these games a trend develops. All of the most crushing losses in our programs history have been against teams right in their back yard. I wasn't at the UCLA game in 96 but I believe that was out near LA somewhere as well. We always seem to run into a team playing a home game in the tournament.

Reaction Score
The UCLA game was tough, but I at least knew we had lost to a team that was really good and could (did) win it all. The Miss State game and the Florida games were the toughest ones for me to take personally. George Mason was a tough one to take as well, but that particular Husky team had been running on fumes for awhile and just didn't seem like it was the team it had been earlier in the year, so it wasn't completely shocking to me.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I was literally at almost all of these games mentioned on this thread lol. 90 Uconn Duke & The Meadowlands. 6 OT game. MSU in Detroit in 09. Maryland game in the final 8 up in Syracuse. The Florida game in Miami in 94. George Mason in Washington in 06. I was even at the UNC game in 98 in Greensboro. Looking back on these games a trend develops. All of the most crushing losses in our programs history have been against teams right in their back yard. I wasn't at the UCLA game in 96 but I believe that was out near LA somewhere as well. We always seem to run into a team playing a home game in the tournament.

I think you have a point with the bad luck/location connection, but the other common link appears to be you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom